over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

TRICEP TIPS

PHIL HERNON

Banned
CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESSES- IS A MISNOMER, NEVER DO CLOSE GRIP.....ALWAYS DO SHOULDER WIDTH GRIP. DO NOT BRING THE BAR DOWN TO YOUR CHEST, STAY MAYBE 3-4 INCHES AWAY BUT ALMOST LOCK OUT ON TOP. YOU CAN BETTER DO THESE ON THE FLOOR USING DBs.........KEEP PALMS FACING EACH OTHER, SAME REP PERFORMANCE AS ON A BENCH.

elbows tucked or out to side?

I try that with dumbells, but never off the floor, I will give it shot, THANKS.

Hey Phil, good post. Any tips on getting the dumbells into place when your on the floor, I always have trouble getting them into place for the first rep.

Great tips Phil!

Iv made some good tricep improvements this year, as arms were my worst bodypart in the past........

More Tips:

Anyone who has trouble with triceps should get a nice pump going first from light presssdowns. This will enhance the mind muscle connection as well as lubricate the joint, as many people have elbow pains when training triceps hard.

When doing skull crushers if you usually experience elbow pain, first drop the weight a little. Second, as you lower the weight try to roll your hands backwards on the negative portion of the rep as if you are about to do a wrist curl so your hands are almost upside down at the bottom of the rep. When extending (positive), roll your wrists back forward as you press. Keep shoulders down and back and elbows in.

ELBOW PLACEMENT

elbows tucked or out to side?

AT TP SAID, FIND A ELBOW PLACEMENT THAT DOES NOT HURT YOU........ELBOW PLACEMENT HAS LITTLE EFFECT HERE, AS LONG AS FISTS COME TOWARDS ARMPITS, THEN PRESS BACK OUT, YOUR TRICEPS ARE BEING WORKED. THE KEY IS TO WORK THEM PAIN FREE/INJURY FREE.

Thank you for the great advice! I have been doing some things wrong. Time to fix that.

Thanks for the great advice Phil.

If I wasn't living in Shanghai right now, spending a year letting BB'ing come secondary to having a social life, I'd seek you out as a trainer.

Here is another thread from IM with some great tricep training tips.

**broken link removed**

thanks phil.......your advice is always appreciated :cool:

cheers PHIL and TP :)

What's your opinion about skull crushers, Phil? That's an exercise I've never gotten results from... :(

What's your opinion about skull crushers, Phil? That's an exercise I've never gotten results from... :(

Me either until recent. Try my variation i described. First thing is to go lighter. I dont go above 2 25lb plates. Thats about 120lbs. The positioning for me was key. EVERY person i show the wrist rolling to says WOW that feels MUCH better and my elbows dont hurt!

Good question

As TP said, supinate your wrists ( as in a curl) while doing the eccentric motion (lowering) of the db and do not bring it down much past 1/2 way to your arm pits.....extend almost to lock out........Then you will see results

thanks again PHIL. you know i always went shoulder with on close grip just because when i go really heavy it hurts my wrists, lol until now i thought i was cheating alittle bit.
TP , Skull crushers are my favorite exercise for my arms. but why not go over 125 lbs? i use 160 lbs without any pain, unless i drop it on my face, and depending on weather i farted in the car on the way to the gym with the windows up my training partner wont let that happen.

AT TP SAID, FIND A ELBOW PLACEMENT THAT DOES NOT HURT YOU........ELBOW PLACEMENT HAS LITTLE EFFECT HERE, AS LONG AS FISTS COME TOWARDS ARMPITS, THEN PRESS BACK OUT, YOUR TRICEPS ARE BEING WORKED. THE KEY IS TO WORK THEM PAIN FREE/INJURY FREE.

That's one thing that pisses me off about trainers. I agree with you Phil. I always tell people to find a position that they're comfortable in.

CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESSES- IS A MISNOMER, NEVER DO CLOSE GRIP.....ALWAYS DO SHOULDER WIDTH GRIP. DO NOT BRING THE BAR DOWN TO YOUR CHEST, STAY MAYBE 3-4 INCHES AWAY BUT ALMOST LOCK OUT ON TOP. YOU CAN BETTER DO THESE ON THE FLOOR USING DBs.........KEEP PALMS FACING EACH OTHER, SAME REP PERFORMANCE AS ON A BENCH.

Phil, as this is my prescribed tricep excercise, ive been doing them this way too as it happens as as i mentioned to you elsewhere my chest is dominant and takes over on alot of pushing movements. So would i be right in saying that doing them this way takes alot of the strain from the chest and more on to triceps too

thanks again PHIL. you know i always went shoulder with on close grip just because when i go really heavy it hurts my wrists, lol until now i thought i was cheating alittle bit.
TP , Skull crushers are my favorite exercise for my arms. but why not go over 125 lbs? i use 160 lbs without any pain, unless i drop it on my face, and depending on weather i farted in the car on the way to the gym with the windows up my training partner wont let that happen.

I can do 160 without pain too......BUT i dont feel it in the triceps as well as i do 120 and if i use 120 im always sore in the tri's the next day...if i use 160....im not sore (sign that i wasnt targeting the muscle)....im sure il work up to 160 but VERY SLOWLY......i dont go up until the weight i like is VERY light...

would be nice to see a vid of those skull crushers and DB presses

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner