over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Using a Backpack for Dips...

myosin

Kilo Klub Member
I wasn't sure to put this in the "beginners" section or not, but since I've never seen anyone do this, I figured here would be fine...

Dips: If extra weight is needed, I and many others here probably use a dip belt... honestly though, I've always felt they're kind of awkward.

So, I went to a garage sale and got a great back-pack for $1 and loaded it with some weight, wore like usual and dipped... I like it, A LOT... there are no weights swinging around when you start, no chains digging into your groin, etc. I do dips more for triceps than chest so I try to keep fairly vertical and the weight on the back really helps to pull you into this position so you can just concentrate on the movement itself.

If you are like Ness who uses up to three plates for dips (jerk... ;)) you might be in a little bit of trouble though :D

Last edited:
do you wear it in front of or back?

idont see myself using a backpack at the gym..:D but maybe@home, might not be a bad idea...

I've always used the dip belt, but then again.. I'm used to heavy things swinging down in between my legs ;)

I've broken a few of them with 4 or 5 plates attached. That is the most they will hold, but not really designed for that much weight. And when you got that many plates, the chain is super tight with no slack, THAT is when it gets awkward, because it is ALL the way sucked into your groin area and the plates dont move. Plus you gotta have your legs wide open the whole time AROUND the plates. :(

Backpack might be ok, not sure I'd like it pulling back on my shoulders with the straps tho...
Plus, most backpacks wont hold anywhere near 200lbs, and would rip into your skin like crazy

Last edited:
If you wear a weight belt to do dips, you can pretty easily wrap the chain around one of the heavier dumbbells and do it like that. I find that to be easier when going to the >2 plate zone, my gym has a 160lb dumbbell so you can get pretty heavy and its much more comfortable than trying to have 3-4 plates between your legs..

idont see myself using a backpack at the gym..:D but maybe@home, might not be a bad idea...

On the back.

I've always used the dip belt, but then again.. I'm used to heavy things swinging down in between my legs ;)

I've broken a few of them with 4 or 5 plates attached. That is the most they will hold, but not really designed for that much weight. And when you got that many plates, the chain is super tight with no slack, THAT is when it gets awkward, because it is ALL the way sucked into your groin area and the plates dont move. Plus you gotta have your legs wide open the whole time AROUND the plates. :(

Backpack might be ok, not sure I'd like it pulling back on my shoulders with the straps tho...
Plus, most backpacks wont hold anywhere near 200lbs, and would rip into your skin like crazy

Straps: mind are fairly wide and padded so it's actually very comfortable. Yes, I'm sure the is some limit to what it can hold.

Find used backpacks at the army navy surplus. They are stronger.

Nothing like everyone watching you with 3 45s between your legs though.:headbang:

Find used backpacks at the army navy surplus. They are stronger.

Nothing like everyone watching you with 3 45s between your legs though.:headbang:
Wouldn't one 45 with a 8 round clip be sufficient.

lol

Not a bad idea actually,,I guess you could use it front or back,,,seems like to bacl would be more control and comfortable.

Not a bad idea actually,,I guess you could use it front or back,,,seems like to bacl would be more control and comfortable.

And maybe switch it to the front for chest dips

With a large Army rucksack w/frame, you can actually load it down with 120 Lbs. I never did dips with it. When me and some Army buddies were training for SFAS(Special Forces Accessment and Selection) back in the 90's, we would have our rucksacks loaded with 65 Lbs. of equipment while practicing road marches and chin ups. You can order them online in brand spanking new condition.

Negatives on Pullups also...

I've also just started using this for "negative only" pullups.

I go to the Smith Machine, put the bar where it is just above my chin when standing with a small "step-up" box on the floor... put a 25# plate in the pack, step up into position, then lower myself slowly for 8-10 reps, 3 sets. Simple- lower myself, stand up, lower again.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws