over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Using gear in alcohol/drug recovery?

dylanwil08

Registered
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you out there are in a program AA/NA and use gear? I only ask because some in 'the rooms' consider it a relapse. Personally, I don't but I also have not run anything since coming into AA. Anyone with experience in this, I'd just like to hear some opinions. Also, if you are in recovery and have used gear did you feel that it put you at more risk of relapse? Thanks for your help!

I'm sorta cross on that one. In some ways it is addictive but at the same time I see it as a positive improvement to my life not detracting from it. As too the second part of your question, no I feel the oposite - I dont want anything to interfere with my progress.

I have been clean for almost 3 yrs. 2 without any 12 step program. NA helped, but I did not like the spiritual part of the program (which is most of it), as I am an atheist. Also the people are very judgemental, like you mention here. They want to make themselves feel better by putting you down.

I was clean for 3months and went on cycle and it helped me stay focused on my diet and training. Go for it!

Yeah, the spirituality isn't exactly my strong suit either. In all honesty I'm pretty tired of the whole 12 Step thing as well. I actually had 20 months sober but relapsed in early February and am back to only 90 days now :(
Anyway, I don't plan on running anything for a little while, when I relapsed I let myself go a bit and need to get back into better shape naturally before I consider a cycle but I really have no qualms about using gear, I honestly don't see the harm in it and I have the feeling that it would only help me remain focused on my health. Thanks for the input!
Oh, what do you do to stay sober outside of a program? I'm an agnostic and am getting tired of being told that the program is the only way to be happy in sobriety.
Thanks guys!
Dylan

Imo if youve been relieved of the obsession and are working a strong program then go for it. But, and this is important, make sure you have atleast one person who youre being 100% truthful with. Preferrably your sponsor. Many wont understand but others will surprise you.

Just dont let the same drug and alcohol behaviors of lying and hiding that surround alcohol and drugs creep back in around your gear use.

Tread lightly and remember that your life and sobriety is way more important than some muscle. If u find it hindering you then stop. Simple as that.

Yeah, the spirituality isn't exactly my strong suit either. In all honesty I'm pretty tired of the whole 12 Step thing as well. I actually had 20 months sober but relapsed in early February and am back to only 90 days now :(
Anyway, I don't plan on running anything for a little while, when I relapsed I let myself go a bit and need to get back into better shape naturally before I consider a cycle but I really have no qualms about using gear, I honestly don't see the harm in it and I have the feeling that it would only help me remain focused on my health. Thanks for the input!
Oh, what do you do to stay sober outside of a program? I'm an agnostic and am getting tired of being told that the program is the only way to be happy in sobriety.
Thanks guys!
Dylan

Try SOS SMART recovery.

Also, read The Alcohol and Addiction Cure. VERY good.
Get a complete physical with your doctor!
Find a GOOD CBT therapist.

See a Psychiatrist! Very important!! Addiction is nothing but obsessive/compulsive behavior, which can be helped with proper medication.

You are NOT powerless! Help yourself, because there is no god to help you. Santa Claus doesn't care if you are clean or not. All about you.

Do the things I suggested and if you HONESTLY WANT TO STOP, YOU WILL.

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you out there are in a program AA/NA and use gear? I only ask because some in 'the rooms' consider it a relapse. Personally, I don't but I also have not run anything since coming into AA. Anyone with experience in this, I'd just like to hear some opinions. Also, if you are in recovery and have used gear did you feel that it put you at more risk of relapse? Thanks for your help!

You do what you and your higher power find acceptable. It helps to find a sponsor who is into bodybuilding. My sponsor is and two of my sponsees are. I do not believe they are mind altering and I do not abuse them. I use them for a purpose and remain vigilant for signs of abuse. In the early days,of my recovery, due to the,way I used drugs, having needles around was a concerbn but those days,are well behind me. Pm me if you want to talk more bud, I am always open to talking about recovery.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Fyi guys, people in na/aa are not judgmental of other addicts. That is your addiction whispering to you.

Also, spirituality does not have anything to do with god. Spirituality are totally different and unrelated. You did not stay around long enough to truly learn what recovery is. Its not for everyone. You're higher power can be ANYTHING you invest with belief and hope enough to be stronger than your addiction. You turned control of your will and life over to a negative substance , you can invest ypu hope, will and recovery into.a doorknob as long as you believe in It:) my higher power is my god, he is not what everyone else believes in but my personal interpretation but many use the people in the rooms and na/aa as their higher power. You neednt believe in god to be spiritual.

Imo if youve been relieved of the obsession and are working a strong program then go for it. But, and this is important, make sure you have atleast one person who youre being 100% truthful with. Preferrably your sponsor. Many wont understand but others will surprise you.

Just dont let the same drug and alcohol behaviors of lying and hiding that surround alcohol and drugs creep back in around your gear use.

Tread lightly and remember that your life and sobriety is way more important than some muscle. If u find it hindering you then stop. Simple as that.

I love u pete:)

Fyi guys, people in na/aa are not judgmental of other addicts. That is your addiction whispering to you.

Also, spirituality does not have anything to do with god. Spirituality are totally different and unrelated. You did not stay around long enough to truly learn what recovery is. Its not for everyone. You're higher power can be ANYTHING you invest with belief and hope enough to be stronger than your addiction. You turned control of your will and life over to a negative substance , you can invest ypu hope, will and recovery into.a doorknob as long as you believe in It:) my higher power is my god, he is not what everyone else believes in but my personal interpretation but many use the people in the rooms and na/aa as their higher power. You neednt believe in god to be spiritual.

Ok. Not going to debate this with you. I WAS around AA AND NA long enough to know. Over 2 years total.

How about those "spiritual, not religious" meetings that end with the LORD's PRAYER? I believe there is NO "higher power, spirit, god, godess or doorknob that will help me to not do drugs." I view this as silly, along with the 1st step, second step, third step and 6th and 7th step. Any step that mentions "god" says something about that power doing something for you. Taking away character defects, relieve our obsessions, etc.

I choose to empower MYSELF, rather than "leaving it up to god." Look up ,the origins of AA (which is where NA comes from). Christians trying to preach and convert... The Oxford Group.

NA is great for those who believe in religion of a god, but for others who cannot lie to themselves, it is counterproductive.

BTW: Outpatient rehab is a good first step, as well. That and NA are good for developing friendships with people trying to stay clean. That, in my view, is the best thing about the program.

Its not for everyone. Even the big book says that we dont have a monopoly on this thing. All but suggestions. Its a personal journey.

Exactly! Well said, Pete.

I always hate to tell anyone my opinions of 12-step because they are so DEFENSIVE. Many parallels to a cult.

Glad it helped you guys. It DID help me, to a degree, as well.

Congratulations to everyone who has beaten their addictions. Whatever worked for you is fantastic. My concern with gear use and an addictive personality is how will you deal the potential increased anxiety that accompanies gear use for some people?

I wouldn't say that I was ever an alcoholic (and I certainly didn't go to AA), but the gym is seriously what keeps me from being one, lol. I used to be one of those party-every-night people but come my junior year of college I made an oath to myself to get my fucking self in shape. I used gear WAY too early (about 9 months in with one-month test/tren cycles), but I still don't regret it because that's when I finally got serious about lifting.

I've been off for about 9 months now but the gym still keeps me away from the bottle. I've found that I drink a lot when I get injured because I'm so bored... lol. I'm happy to have taken a break from the sauce and go natty just to get my shit in gear and up more knowledge of diet and training, which has increased CONSIDERABLY. I've gotten a lot stronger and am back to the size I was when I came off. (I only lost 5 pounds or so at my smallest, so I was still better than most.)

Once I start to plateau my strength gains I'll look into a cycle again.

Dylan, I know you well enough outside these forums to know you already understand my position. I was never an IV drug addict, so needles aren't a trigger at all for me, which I think may be of some concern to anyone who has used needles. But as far as gear being mood altering like recreational drugs, I think that's a load of shit. Of course my opinion, and probably most others on this board are going to be a little biased. Bottom line, I don't feel it messes with my recovery, but everybody is different.

Ok. Not going to debate this with you. I WAS around AA AND NA long enough to know. Over 2 years total.

How about those "spiritual, not religious" meetings that end with the LORD's PRAYER? I believe there is NO "higher power, spirit, god, godess or doorknob that will help me to not do drugs." I view this as silly, along with the 1st step, second step, third step and 6th and 7th step. Any step that mentions "god" says something about that power doing something for you. Taking away character defects, relieve our obsessions, etc.

I choose to empower MYSELF, rather than "leaving it up to god." Look up ,the origins of AA (which is where NA comes from). Christians trying to preach and convert... The Oxford Group.

NA is great for those who believe in religion of a god, but for others who cannot lie to themselves, it is counterproductive.

BTW: Outpatient rehab is a good first step, as well. That and NA are good for developing friendships with people trying to stay clean. That, in my view, is the best thing about the program.

Empowering ourselves led us to drugs:) you follow your way, I will follow, mine and hopefully we will both stay clean and in recovery.

Pete, clearing now

If you are sober that is the best time to be on gear! Watch out for depression in PCT that's about it.

PCT is key on this cycle. Get your system back running before a low hits. Good luck bro

Try SOS SMART recovery.

Also, read The Alcohol and Addiction Cure. VERY good.
Get a complete physical with your doctor!
Find a GOOD CBT therapist.

See a Psychiatrist! Very important!! Addiction is nothing but obsessive/compulsive behavior, which can be helped with proper medication.

You are NOT powerless! Help yourself, because there is no god to help you. Santa Claus doesn't care if you are clean or not. All about you.

Do the things I suggested and if you HONESTLY WANT TO STOP, YOU WILL.

Yeas, let's get rid of one chemical dependance for another, brilliant thinking!

If you weren't powerless, you could have and would have quit at any time.

That is the key, you have to want to stop. If you don't want to, nothing will help you.

You were in for 2 years and didn't learn anything. You tuned out because of the mention of God. Do you know why the steps include God and meetings end with the Lord's Prayer? It's becaue each and every step has roots in the Bible whether you like it or not. That's why it's there. AA was not started as a program to "convert" people as you want to say. Bill W and his buddy atarted it because they themselves were alcoholics and needed help. AA and other 12 step programs have HELPED millions of people get sober over the past 70+ years. Why? Because the programs work! You don't have to leave it up to God to help you, you have to help yourself. But you can't rely solely on yourself, as that is the person that got you into the mess you were in, NOT God. Your problem is that you can't get past the fact that God is used in the program literature.

I hope you continue to stay sober, I really do. But what is the point of bashing AA/NA when it has proven successful for over 70+ years. I was in AA for many years as well, I don't attend meetings anymore as I got tired of hearing/seeing the same people walk in and out the doors with their stories of relapse and trying to help new people.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131