over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WASHINGTON POST ARTICLE and reply..MikeS

MikeS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member
Staff member
Registered
**broken link removed**
A good article all in all. It seems a requirement that all stories start with the usual negative BS, but this article gives fair reaction from both sides. Also included is a nice prop for Rick Collins book (available now!). Things may slowly be going in the right direction! Heres my reply/letter to the Washpost.com about the article:
To the distinguished writer Ms Amy Shipley and the Editor of the Washingtonpost.com, congratulations on your article NEW STEROIDS SOLD OVER THE COUNTER. It was a rare encounter into the issue from both sides of the story.

We athletes are infuriated over witnessing the media hype on this subject, that is myth or just plain nonfactual. I have written many letter to congress, senators, media sports writers in vain, when trying to protest the lies and damaging information that is written about athletes who use anabolic enhancing drugs.
Your editorial has given a broad view of the controversy, opposed to the usual "Reefer Madness' type hysteria which is vastly a gathering of biased view and outright lies.

The problem starts with the media-it falsely reports these stories, for the sensationalism and hype that they create for the public. And then the uneducated public assumes an article is based on fact. When actually, it is obvious to any real athlete that the writer has absolutely no knowledge on the subject of physique enhancing drugs. Then in the resulting public uproar, an equally uneducated politician will step to the forefront and declare war on the drugs and the athletes who use them, in an attempt for public attention, votes, endorsement, and contributions. I can site former President Bush who passed the Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990, making steroids a schedule III crime, equal to cocaine and amphetamines. And now
Senator Dorgan (D-NDakota) and Rep John Sweeney (R-NY) have taken the torch and are yelling from their soapbox, about a subject they has no informed knowledge of. What evidence does Rep Sweeny have that these advertisements are marketed to suck in the gullible youth? That is simply a bogus, false accusation -blurted out to force reaction of hysteria in agreement, from the politically correct public. Legalization of these substances and Steroids could involve regulations to prevent youth from purchasing these products.
Meanwhile the illicit Black Market is open to all age groups.

Why cant athletes use these substances? The facts your fine article provided-there is little or no evidence of any great harm caused by these drugs. They can not cause overdose, addiction or intoxication. The great harm is only the possibility of being caught and arrested, and the resulting fiasco that will follow the unfortunate athlete. You must perform honest hard work in your training and diet for steroids or prohormones to work. Unlike other methods, all legal, of physical enhancement such as liposuction, various implants, facial plastic surgery, which are far more risky and dangerous than pro-steroids/hormones. Or you could use hormones for birth control or gender change. But hard working athletes cannot legally use steroids. Legal cigarettes and alcohol kill millions, while steroids have never killed anyone. Its a travesty, in an era of technology and science-that these laws are guided by such ignorance, misinformation, and a 'Refer-madness' mentality.

Your statements from Elm Valle come from real life experience. Not Dorgan, Sweeney, or the anti-doping
agencies, but the ATHLETES are truly the large assembly of experts on the subjects. Rick Collins, Pat Arnold, William Llewllyn are true experts. Ricks ground breaking book LEGAL MUSCLE shows the unfair struggle of the athlete against current legal standards. We need less legal invasion, not more. Certainly Dorgan, Sweeney, have an agenda - votes, public reaction, power, money. And their rants are derived to reach that agenda, not to portray the actual proof. The anti-doping committees in sports are interested in meeting their goal - prevention and detection of banned substances. They feel that their plight requires laws that the entire American public must obey. They strongly encourage and 'persuade' lawmakers and media to protest the use of prohormones and Anabolic Steroids, and to create laws against these products that specifically aid their cause. And thus tragically turning many millions of fitness enthusiasts into criminals. Let these committees govern their own sports! The general public does not need to be subject to their rule making!

Praise you for having the notion to display both sides of this issue that too few hear. Id like to hope its the beginning of a new, enlightened awareness of physical fitness supplements such as Anabolic Steroids and prohormones. The striving athlete certainly needs this position seen and heard-to rid us from the legal shackles from which we are wrongly bound. Thank you again, Amy Shipley and the Washingtonpost.com!

NICE WORK, MIKE!

KEEP IT UP!

Way to go bro - great job!

xcel

you never stop trying .your one die hard bro!:)

Mike--

Thanks for sharing the article and response. Always inspiring...

---slide---

Thanks bros. I did kiss up a little in this letter. 2 reasons:
to get the letter published and a chance to feed the mainstream more of our 'sensible' side of the story; Also to further encourage more writing of this type in the future. :)

MikeS.....that's great bro, always willing to go that extra mile.....we all need to get a little more involved like this. Take care.

patk

Mike,

I was watching TV after reading the article and reply you posted for us and I saw an ad for a TV show that is coming on next Wednesday at 9:00PM (11 Dec) that's called Extreme Makeover airing on ABC. Anyway, it's about how these people with some not-so-great features go through various physical enhancement procedures (i.e. the Name of the show) and surprise their families or what-have-you. Now it may sound like a Juiced up Oprah or Sally Jesse Makeover show (and it probably is), but it's promotion such as this that pisses me off, especially right after reading the article and your reply as you highlight the physical enhancement dangers, yet the media/TV stations promote this in Primetime nonetheless.

Copied/Pasted (below) is the summary of the show...

"Doctors, surgeons and makeup professionals transform three people seeking to enhance their lives."

Maybe it's just bad timing, but this crap is starting to bother me more and more. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but figured I'd throw some more "fuel on the fire" and stir the pot...:D

---slide---

Last edited:
Damn bro...

where'd you learn how to write? Shouldn't you be writing your own book?

When it is all said and done, years from now, maybe sooner, when gear may become legal, remember MikeS and his work. He is certainly on the front line of the battle and should be considered a true hero in our defense. I sure as hell couldn't write a piece like that.

Great job my friend!

Here is a link to the original article. I had posted it on another board but was ignored.

Mike- well written response.

**broken link removed**

Re: Damn bro...

I agree great job mike.

canino said:
where'd you learn how to write? Shouldn't you be writing your own book?

When it is all said and done, years from now, maybe sooner, when gear may become legal, remember MikeS and his work. He is certainly on the front line of the battle and should be considered a true hero in our defense. I sure as hell couldn't write a piece like that.

Great job my friend!

Hey Psycho-you know who is certainly at the forfront! Thanks Rick!
Nice words of compliment also my friend Canino :D

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear