advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What age does your strength start to decrease?

jimboaldis

Registered
Since I first started training all those years ago I always wanted to bench over 315lbs, but never really managed it.

Calling myself a bodybuilder and not a powerlifter, I never really trained for strength, but every now and then just try and push up the 315.

I never gave up, but would concentrate on a bodybuilder routine instead of a strength one.

So to my surprise, in the gym yesterday after a big warm up I managed to bang out 4 reps of 315lbs and felt good. There was probably a few more left in me, but after reading the bench press horror stories I left it at that.

I'm clean too. Have been off any AAS for nearly two months.

I'm 38 years old and thought that my strength would start to decrease once I reached 35, but obviously not.

Looking back and thinking about it, I am no weaker than when I was in my mid twenties, in fact I'm quite a bit stronger.

My joints are telling me to back off a bit, which I am going to do.

There must be a certain age where you notice things start to go backwards.

Staying strong

I am 45 and can still bench over 315 lbs (which is no indication of anyone's fitness level but it seems to be the way most people judge themselves) and most lifts are more than what I could do 10 years ago. I have to give some credit to supplements and wisdom. I learned how to rest, sounds funny but the older you get the more you can hear your body talking. So now I listen and it helps keep me strong and going back to the gym. Joints have been getting worse through the years so once again its about listening to your body and being smart with rest and nutrition/supplementation. Stay Strong!

I'm 41 and I'm stronger now than when I was younger. I can still eak out 6 reps, somtimes 7 or 9 with 315. NOt that this is allot of weight in the grander scheme of things but it's allot for me.

55 and stronger than when i was 35. just have to warm up a little more. if i'm not mistaken powerlifter louie simmons is in his 60's and not slowing down much if at all.

I don't know when your strength decreases BUT,I train with some guys in their fifties that are still hitting personal bests.From a sports aspect strength stays up,speed and recovery along with nagging injuries are what end careers.

mid40s and still gaining strength and size stronger then have been at any point of my life.i,d have to say keeping joints and tendons pain free is the tuff part of age.

Last edited:
I am too

55 and stronger than when i was 35. just have to warm up a little more. if i'm not mistaken powerlifter louie simmons is in his 60's and not slowing down much if at all.

I can do a 315lb seated military press for 15 reps. Could never do that before in my life. At 49 I think it's gear, diet, and how you train that moves the weight.

Concrete Guy

Seated military with 315 for 15 reps? I have never seen that. Yikes. what are your stats.

I am 46 and in the gym I am stronger now than I was as a Division 1 college wrestler. Go Gear!!!

Now if I was on gear back in college I bet I would have been monster strong. (Relative to where I'm at now)

a fellow pl'r turned bbr is nearing 40, and he hit 625x3 on inclines 3weeks ago
frk

Seated military with 315 for 15 reps? I have never seen that. Yikes. what are your stats.
)

My stats? I'm 5"10" tall and an over eating big fat slob. To confirm this go to the members photo area and click on "concreteguys pics". BTW: this isn't what I'm doing in the gym every time I hit shoulders. I'm sure we have all had that night where you walk in the gym and your superman.LOL It was one of those nights. I have hurt myself before doing crazy stuff like this. What I will say is G.A.U.L s methyltienolone spotted me through the set.:eek:

Do you know what, I'm not sure what I'm most happy with. The fact that I final benched 315 or the fact I still have a good few years left throwing heavy weight (for me) around (as long as I'm sensible).

I'm starting a little Test and Deca, so it'll be interesting to see if my bench gets heavier over the next few weeks.

My stats? I'm 5"10" tall and an over eating big fat slob. To confirm this go to the members photo area and click on "concreteguys pics". BTW: this isn't what I'm doing in the gym every time I hit shoulders. I'm sure we have all had that night where you walk in the gym and your superman.LOL It was one of those nights. I have hurt myself before doing crazy stuff like this. What I will say is G.A.U.L s methyltienolone spotted me through the set.:eek:
pics are amazing to say the least. i can only hope to be a over eating fat slob buy the time i,m 49.i,m currently recovering from that very issue.

At 56, in my experience, if there is any loss of strength as you age, its attributed more to joint and tendon issues, not muscle.

So true

At 56, in my experience, if there is any loss of strength as you age, its attributed more to joint and tendon issues, not muscle.

Brick, I'm training around joint pain every time I'm in the gym. I have started wrapping knee's, elbowls,inner left thigh, shoulder pain so bad I have to sleep with my arm hanging over a pillow at night with an Ambien cocktail at times.

Brick, I'm training around joint pain every time I'm in the gym. I have started wrapping knee's, elbowls,inner left thigh, shoulder pain so bad I have to sleep with my arm hanging over a pillow at night with an Ambien cocktail at times.

I'm right there with you on that concreteguy! Very frustrating at times, but reality for me too. My ortho doc tells me they have done everything they can do for my shoulders except a joint replacement. I said, no thanks! No way do I want that.

I can do a 315lb seated military press for 15 reps. Could never do that before in my life. At 49 I think it's gear, diet, and how you train that moves the weight.

nice to hear things like these. being in my 30's i sometimes think that my days of gaining were over and it was just a maintainance thing. its motivational to hear guys in their mid 50's with tremendous strength still

Try this

I'm right there with you on that concreteguy! Very frustrating at times, but reality for me too. My ortho doc tells me they have done everything they can do for my shoulders except a joint replacement. I said, no thanks! No way do I want that.

When my shoulder is killing me this is what I do. If it's my right shoulder that hurts try sleeping on your left side with a very stiff pillow under your right elbow as your arm hangs over it. This helps me alot. I hope it can help you Brick.

When my shoulder is killing me this is what I do. If it's my right shoulder that hurts try sleeping on your left side with a very stiff pillow under your right elbow as your arm hangs over it. This helps me alot. I hope it can help you Brick.

hey I appreciate it! Its like I told my doctor, you would be surprised what pain you can get used to :D

The best powerlifters are usually mid/late 30's and into 40's. Takes a while for strength to mature.

Put me in too. From 47 to 50 was the biggest and strongest I ever been
including a cycle that wasn't enough to mention. Never really responded
well to anything anyway so what's the since. The only thing I really
responded to was the joint tendon pain I got from all the years of wear and
tear.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members