advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What to do when all you see is imperfection?

roadrage

Newbies
I'm 31, 5'8, shaved bald, blue eyed white boy, about 230 right now. Not ripped, I have a small gut on my belly.

The reason I'm making this post is this, my daughter loves superhero cartoons, batman, superman, leagion of superheros ect. I see her on the weekends and we watch 2-3 episodes on DVD every week before we go out to the mall or what have you. I'm raising her to hopefully be a strong woman as she grows up, she's 7 now, will turn 8 on May 1st. This past weekend we were finishing up on watching Batman Volume 4.

There was an episode with a woman hiding her face under a mask, and she would always say how ugly she was and never wanted anyone to see her, point is this, at the end of the episode the cops take off her mask, and she's "beautiful" as Batgirl says to Batman, batman says something like "all she see's is her flaws, not the beauty that she has."

My daughter asked me why she thought she was ugly and I explained to her what Batman said, how the woman was focused on what was wrong with her.

I'm taking to long to get to my point, sorry, my point is, I have several female friends that always tell me how good my chest/shoulders/arms are, how "hot" I am. Yet, I'm single, the only women that seem interested in me, are those I'm not attracted to, and when I look in the mirror, all I see are the imperfections. When I look in the mirror, I don't see what they see. I see a guy that has been rejected by a lot of beautiful women, and I see every flaw on my face/body.

I grew up very poor and have worked very hard to get to where I am now. Not rich by any means, but I make a decent living and I work for a company where I manage 4 national accounts, 1 of them being in the Fortune top 10 and one in the top 25. the other two are growing stronger everyday. I'm always told that I'll go far in the company as long as I keep doing what I'm doing now.

I grew up in a "ghetto" if you will, and my parents had me go to a school where the kids weren't "rich" but the families were well off, I had gotten into a lot of fights because I didn't fit in with them, and didn't kiss ass or "follow" the cool kids. So I was constantly reminded of the area I came from, and how "unattractive" the girls thought I was, which was funny, because during the summer, the one chick saw me with my cousin and asked me out, but I was so pissed at her I just said I could do better then someone who kisses ass to fit in with the morons. I've just seemed to of had a life full of put downs, insults and negativity and I can't seem to lose the negitive thoughts no matter how or what I try.

When I was with my daughter's mother, my self esteem was through the roof, but now, the last few years, I try to get it back but it doesn't seem to wanna come back lol. There are times when I look in the mirror, where I say "damn, I made great improvements for someone with shitty genetics and who took years from the gym." but there are other times, when I just want to smash the mirror in and not see myself anymore.

When I do date women, my brother tells me that I go after women that have "mental" issues because of all the drama that I have gone through with women. I'm not innocent by any means, and I have changed my lifestyle over the last few months and I'm "starting over" with everything if you will...well except my daughter. ;-)

There are times when I "fake" being confident, as I was talking to a Dr I met, she was very attractive, in great shape, took care of herself and she thought I was "funny" but in the end, I guess she saw through my "fake" confidence in myself and decided to move on.

My self esteem is so low, that I seem to overcompensate sometimes and some women have even told me to "get over myself" or "your ego needs to be deflated". I have dated some women and they constantly say how "girls must be hitting on you all the time at the gym because of your chest and shoulders" and I just play along like "yea I have to beat them off with a stick." lol

I'm not looking for a "pity party" or anything of the sort, I'm just looking for answers to what can I do to feel better about myself?

When I was telling my daughter about that woman on the cartoon, I said:

"People need to realize that no one is perfect, everyone has flaws, but true beauty is how you feel about yourself, the person and feelings that others see you. People need to realize that the past is over and done, and to move on, life's to short to worry about what others think about you, it's to short to worry if you have a wrinkle here or there. Be yourself and people will like you for you."

I always tell her so many positive things and I keep her self esteem high, she's bi racial and hates her hair because it's so curly but I always tell her how her hair is just as beautiful as her smile, and not to let anyone say different. But how come no matter how many positive things I say to her, I don't believe it when it comes to me?

I stress over the past as if I can go back and change it, I worry about my flaws as if they'll go away and make me "handsome".

I'm currently on buspar for anxiety and it seems to be working. At work (i have had this job for about 9 months now, before that, I worked one crappy job after the next), I am aggressive, I get the job done and get it done right, I hate people to f' up my accounts and I tell them what they need to do in order to get it done right.

I have the sales reps as well as my point of contacts for the companies I manage giving me all kinds of compliments that have reached my director of the company. My brother works in another office 30 minutes away and his associate director was telling him how in a meeting, with all the managers, supervisors, Associate directors and the director, how my name kept being brought up because of how I have turned around the accounts that I manage, and how everyone is constantly praising me for my hard work and determination to get things done and get them done right.

Why can't I go after my personal life as I am now going after my professional life? I'm told that I can easily make supervisor in the next few months when it comes time for me to post out if that is what I want. I'm very confident in my skills at work, why am I having such a hard time being confident in myself in other ways? Why do I keep seeing negitive things when for the first time in a long time, things are going good for me? Why do I keep seeing an "ugly frail boy" when I look into the mirror instead of the man I am now?

Why am I preventing myself from being happy? I've changed my life a lot in the last few months, and I have given up a certain high risk lifestyle I used to live. I didn't want to be that person anymore. I felt it was time for me to change.

Thanks,
R

i dont have time but really quick..... i used to be VERY self consious... so much so i wouldnt really approach women blah blah blah....

then one day something just clicked... i dunno what it was, or why, but i just lost 90% of whatever was holding me back.... i was more confident at work, in my social life, with women, and just the way i carried myself....

maybe it was when i stopped trying to be the person everyone wanted me to bed, and i stared being myself... i'm not sure....

but it just happened one day.... i cant explain it.

I have some good news and some bad news. You said the girls always seem to see through your fake confidence? Your daughter will too eventually. In fact, so amazingly so that they will take on your characteristics as if they absorbed directly from you. She will, in fact, do exactly that.

You have low self-esteem. Plain and not-so-simple. Your daughter and anyone else that looks up to you or admires you will emulate the same behavior. Kind of like spreading a cold.

Self-esteem issues are very complicated and can result from YEARS of self-deprecation and such or abuse by others - many reasons. It's good to know when you began to feel bad about yourself and remember the very first things that hurt you. Once you know what brings you down, you can attack those things head on. "Attacking" would be different for every single person. Everyone has some self-esteem issues or self-doubt.

In regards to dating, men and women can smell low self-confidence a MILE away. Especially women.

Let me sum up all of this:

You need to stop thinking the way you do.

If you can't do it by yourself, find someone to help you. A doctor, a mentor, your pastor, etc.

DUDE YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM THE WORST 4 LETTER WORD EVER
FEAR
FEAR IS THE ROOT OF ALL ESTEEM PROBLEMS
THE MANY FACES OF FEAR ARE HATRED, JEALOUSY SELF LOATHING
ISOLATING AND PERVERSIONS
THE BIBLE SAYS PERFECT LOVE DRIVES OUT FEAR
WHEN YOU REALIZE GOD HAS LOVED US PERFECTLY
THROUGH THE SACRIFICE OF HIS SON JESUS
YOU ARE MORE THAN EMPOWERED TO
DRIVE OUT FEAR
FEAR IS OF THE DEVIL, NOT GOD
REALIZE IN YOUR MIND GOD HAS GIVEN YOU THE POWER
TO KEEP YOUR MIND FREE FROM FEAR
MAKE THE CONNECTION

ALSO......
YOU HAVE TO PUT DOWN THE BOOZE AND DOPE
MY LIFE GOT SO MUCH BETTER WITH OUT THAT STUFF
I FELT GOOD AT NIGHT GETTING HIGH OR DRUNK
BUT THE GUILT(FROM FEAR) GREW TO THE POINT
WHERE I DIDN'T KNOW UP FROM DOWN
STAY SOBER AND LIVE

THAT IS IF YOU'RE NOT
sorry to sound preachy

Last edited:
You have self esteem issues and body dismorphia, I suffered from it for years... went up to 260lbs and still thought I was too small. Alot of people suffer from it, some link it to playing with action figures when you a kid (GI Joe and Batman with the huge chest and shoulders and small waist...ect). I suggest you seek professional help or figure out how to deal with your issues. The reason that you get rejected by "beautiful girls" has nothing to do with your looks but your confidence. I know this for a fact, I have seen plenty of ugly confident guys score major tail.
Alot of people on this board are dealing with the same issues as yourself, I got over mine years ago and i have never been happier. I can refer you to some great sites for reading on the subject if you need help

OuchThatHurts said:
I have some good news and some bad news. You said the girls always seem to see through your fake confidence? Your daughter will too eventually. In fact, so amazingly so that they will take on your characteristics as if they absorbed directly from you. She will, in fact, do exactly that.

You have low self-esteem. Plain and not-so-simple. Your daughter and anyone else that looks up to you or admires you will emulate the same behavior. Kind of like spreading a cold.

Self-esteem issues are very complicated and can result from YEARS of self-deprecation and such or abuse by others - many reasons. It's good to know when you began to feel bad about yourself and remember the very first things that hurt you. Once you know what brings you down, you can attack those things head on. "Attacking" would be different for every single person. Everyone has some self-esteem issues or self-doubt.

In regards to dating, men and women can smell low self-confidence a MILE away. Especially women.

Let me sum up all of this:

You need to stop thinking the way you do.

If you can't do it by yourself, find someone to help you. A doctor, a mentor, your pastor, etc.
Good call Ouch, good call.

Reminds me of a skit I saw on SNL one time. These people come into this psychologist's, talk about how they keep doing stuff to screw up their lives, or keep having unhealthy thoughts.

Everytime they pause for his advice, he loudly and firmly says, "STOP IT."

In reality, people you know closely and you yourself should be saying "stop it", and if you can't, seek some professional help.

As simple and stupid as it sounds, I applied the same logic to end my procrastinate problem when I realize that the only way I'm going to get all my shit taken care of is to do it. (Or in this case, not do it--think the way you do.)

VNV said:
As simple and stupid as it sounds, I applied the same logic to end my procrastinate problem when I realize that the only way I'm going to get all my shit taken care of is to do it. (Or in this case, not do it--think the way you do.)
I don't think it sounds simple or stupid. Sometimes people just need to find out (if they don't already know) what they need to do and just simply do it.

I had some work done on my shoulder to fix up my rotator and it healed really well in the end but when it was healing and I was at the PT, I'd say stuff like, "When I lift my arm, twist it, and then put my hand behind my neck, it hurts."

The PT just said..."Well stop doing that!"

I remember one time complaining to my mentor in college about my medical bills and how high they were, and how would I ever pay them!"

He laughed and said, "Life's a bitch."

I realized then that there was no way to change the prices and costs, and there was nobody that was going to pay them for me. In other words, I had to get off my ass and get to it. Sometimes life's most difficult questions have the most simplest answers. I don't know whether I read that somewhere or if I just came up with it so if hasn't been said before, I want a nickel every time someone uses it.;)

Bod1ggity said:
You have self esteem issues and body dismorphia, I suffered from it for years... went up to 260lbs and still thought I was too small. Alot of people suffer from it, some link it to playing with action figures when you a kid (GI Joe and Batman with the huge chest and shoulders and small waist...ect). I suggest you seek professional help or figure out how to deal with your issues. The reason that you get rejected by "beautiful girls" has nothing to do with your looks but your confidence. I know this for a fact, I have seen plenty of ugly confident guys score major tail.
Alot of people on this board are dealing with the same issues as yourself, I got over mine years ago and i have never been happier. I can refer you to some great sites for reading on the subject if you need help

I'd like to see those sites if you don't mind.

I know I need to go see a professional and speak to someone face to face about this, I just need to prioritize things I guess. My daughter's softball season started monday and her games are mon/wed. Guess I need to figure out a way to make an appointment after her games or on other nights during the week.

The last few days, every time I look at myself in the mirror, I say more positive things, and if something negative does cross my mind, I try to counter it with a positive thought.

I know the DR is right and I need to see a professional. I guess I just thought I'd be able to do this myself and not have to tell a shrink all my deep dark secrets lol.

R

I'd like to see those sites if you don't mind.

I know I need to go see a professional and speak to someone face to face about this, I just need to prioritize things I guess. My daughter's softball season started monday and her games are mon/wed. Guess I need to figure out a way to make an appointment after her games or on other nights during the week.

The last few days, every time I look at myself in the mirror, I say more positive things, and if something negative does cross my mind, I try to counter it with a positive thought.

I know the DR is right and I need to see a professional. I guess I just thought I'd be able to do this myself and not have to tell a shrink all my deep dark secrets lol.

R

Heres a few links with reading on Muscle Dysmorphia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_dysmorphia
**broken link removed**
http://www.anred.com/musdys.html

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members