advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What was that special red yeast stuff from china called?

GoneForever

Banned
I remember some bro's on here used it. It was actual legit red yeast rice extract that was banned in the U.S. but they still sell it on ebay from China. Isnt it supposed to drasically improve lipid levels. Any sides to it?

Xuezhikang

No real sides from what have read. Apparently some red yeast rice had been contaminated in some preparations and that had some liver toxicity. But all in all pretty safe from what I read.

Cycle support has read yeast rice extract in it and some other good stuff for you. I just got mine in and started taking it. I saw it was part of Big A's regimen and looked into it.

I had thought red yeast extract was banned and asked my Dr about it. he said it wasn't and that it was available in the US. Perhaps they are two different types of extracts.

As for being safe he said the issue had to be with over dosing because of something to do with statins. He gave me a recommended dosage and it was the same amount in cycle support so I bought that.

hope this helps.

Just for the record…

There is a huge difference among brands as to the actual amount of Lovastatin (the active ingredient) in Red Yeast Rice per 600 mg pill. In independent testing, there was a 10 fold difference! Nature's Plus brand had the highest with 10.6 mg of lovastatin per 600 mg pill. The standard dose of lovastatin prescribed pharmaceutically to achieve LDL reductions of 30 to 40% is typically 20 mg to 40 mg. In over the counter brands, next highest amount of lovastatin was in Healthy America at 5.2 mg. The lowest was Walgreens brand at .01 mg!

Some brands also contained citrinin which could be potentially toxic to your kidneys. Not something you want. Those brands included Natural Balance, Solaray, VegLife and Walgreens. These brands were also the lowest on the amount of lovastatin.

So, just because you buy Red Yeast Rice, don't think they are all the same

thanks for clarification Brick! Always a wealth of info from guys on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC
As far as I know, red yeast rice no longer contains lovastatin so is probably not worth the money as far as lowering cholesterol goes. Maybe someone else can verify this:

"In 2000, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that red yeast rice IS subject to FDA regulation. Since then, the FDA has aggressively gone after companies selling red rice yeast containing lovastatin. While red rice yeast is still available on the grocer's shelf, the stuff that is out there now is apparently fermented using a different process, and apparently does NOT contain lovastatin. Therefore, (the active ingredient having been removed) its ability to lower cholesterol levels is probably nil. (This explains why the otherwise colorful labels no longer tout the cholesterol-lowering properties of the product.)"*

There has been a lot of confusion out there about red yeast rice. Eight or ten years ago studies showed that this over-the-counter dietary supplement was quite effective at reducing cholesterol levels. However, that was because one of the "natural" ingredients turned out to be lovastatin, a statin drug marketed as Mevacor and Altocor. (Statins were originally derived from yeast products; the lovastatin in red yeast rice is "natural.") When the FDA found out that red yeast rice contained a regulated substance (i.e., an effective drug), it banned these products unless extra steps were taken to remove lovastatin. Rendering red yeast rice useless if you ask me.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC
As far as I know, red yeast rice no longer contains lovastatin so is probably not worth the money as far as lowering cholesterol goes. Maybe someone else can verify this:

"In 2000, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that red yeast rice IS subject to FDA regulation. Since then, the FDA has aggressively gone after companies selling red rice yeast containing lovastatin. While red rice yeast is still available on the grocer's shelf, the stuff that is out there now is apparently fermented using a different process, and apparently does NOT contain lovastatin. Therefore, (the active ingredient having been removed) its ability to lower cholesterol levels is probably nil. (This explains why the otherwise colorful labels no longer tout the cholesterol-lowering properties of the product.)"*

There has been a lot of confusion out there about red yeast rice. Eight or ten years ago studies showed that this over-the-counter dietary supplement was quite effective at reducing cholesterol levels. However, that was because one of the "natural" ingredients turned out to be lovastatin, a statin drug marketed as Mevacor and Altocor. (Statins were originally derived from yeast products; the lovastatin in red yeast rice is "natural.") When the FDA found out that red yeast rice contained a regulated substance (i.e., an effective drug), it banned these products unless extra steps were taken to remove lovastatin. Rendering red yeast rice useless if you ask me.

Great, informative post. Thanks.

RYR has the mercolin-K (sp) that is known also known as lovastatin. It just needs to be taken in higher doses. The banned substance was the EXTRACT, or condensed version, rendering more/more accurate doses of lovastatin to the mg.

thanks guys. How many here actually take XueZhiKang and at what dose? Did you notice lipid improvements.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws