over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why guys aren’t competing

bbxtreme

Registered
Newbies
With all the critiques on here lately I thought it would be a good topic to throw out.

There are some crazy physiques on this board. Some of you have competed, some retired and others who look crazy yet never have.

I agree that if guys like Andrew Jacked are the best we get in today’s scene the sport is not what it once used to be. So why aren’t guys with killer physiques competing?

It’s no secret from the promoters that numbers are down and Lee Haney locally here is constantly trying to get people back into the sport.

This thread isn’t for the guys who are “bodybuilding fans” at home on the couch. It’s also not to start a thread on drugs and PED’s- that comes with the territory. Same for politics.

I am not the most genetically gifted bodybuilder. I love the process and discipline of prepping to step on stage the day of the show. To show what I have been doing in silence for the last 6,12 or 24 months… I don’t give two fucks about politics or think about it because I’d better look better than every guy there. Period.

So I’m curious to get everyone else’s take on this who is not a couch gym bro- why aren’t guys competing?

With all the critiques on here lately I thought it would be a good topic to throw out.

There are some crazy physiques on this board. Some of you have competed, some retired and others who look crazy yet never have.

I agree that if guys like Andrew Jacked are the best we get in today’s scene the sport is not what it once used to be. So why aren’t guys with killer physiques competing?

It’s no secret from the promoters that numbers are down and Lee Haney locally here is constantly trying to get people back into the sport.

This thread isn’t for the guys who are “bodybuilding fans” at home on the couch. It’s also not to start a thread on drugs and PED’s- that comes with the territory. Same for politics.

I am not the most genetically gifted bodybuilder. I love the process and discipline of prepping to step on stage the day of the show. To show what I have been doing in silence for the last 6,12 or 24 months… I don’t give two fucks about politics or think about it because I’d better look better than every guy there. Period.

So I’m curious to get everyone else’s take on this who is not a couch gym bro- why aren’t guys competing?
What is the upside
what’s in it for the winner

What is the upside
what’s in it for the winner
Fair point. I tell anyone who ask me about it- it’s expensive as shit and you have to pay for your NPC card, to compete in each class, tanning, hotel, and not to mention the thousands in PED’s and growth.

There’s no money in this sport for any competitor. For me I do it as a measurement of accomplishment. To beat the last version of me on stage. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe........ too much work and sacrifice, too little reward???

Cause I am fed up that the sport where you have to extremly damage your body with all this stuff is rewarded mostly with plastic trophy and promoter take all the money. Beside the fact that winner is already very often knows before show even started. You can say i
dont care about politics , but really ??? So you are saying that you are happy that somebody fuck with you , you paying for it and they have a laugh at you at your expense and you are cool with it?? Be sure as fuck i am not! Not at all!

Maybe........ too much work and sacrifice, too little reward???
Don’t disagree. What drove you to compete for as long as you have?

I listen to guys like Dorian, Jay, Phil, Ronnie, and now even Derek now and money wasn’t the driver. Ronnie doesn’t regret a thing even though he can barely get around. Jay made a lot because he is smart, but even he couldn’t retire by the age he originally said and even now is walking around looking better at 50 than me at 34. LOL

There’s something in them that does this because they just fucking love it. How do we get that back to the stage?

Fair point. I tell anyone who ask me about it- it’s expensive as shit and you have to pay for your NPC card, to compete in each class, tanning, hotel, and not to mention the thousands in PED’s and growth.

There’s no money in this sport for any competitor. For me I do it as a measurement of accomplishment. To beat the last version of me on stage. Nothing more, nothing less.
Oh i’m well aware of everything involved, it was more or less a rhetorical question.

unless you’re able to make it to the upper echelon, or are an extremely charismatic and popular personality that can translate that into a supplement company or something of that nature, there’s no benefit i can see other than being able to say “i did that”

i can beat my personal best for free whenever i choose

it’s an all-consuming and unforgiving lifestyle with no tangible benefit besides a better physique

Cause I am fed up that the sport where you have to extremly damage your body with all this stuff is rewarded mostly with plastic trophy and promoter take all the money. Beside the fact that winner is already very often knows before show even started. You can say i
dont care about politics , but really ??? So you are saying that you are happy that somebody fuck with you , you paying for it and they have a laugh at you at your expense and you are cool with it?? Be sure as fuck i am not! Not at all!
I hear you and fully acknowledge the politics. I know it going into every show and plan for it- comes with the territory.

But like Dorian used to do- show up on show day and make it so nobody can deny you. If you look better than every guy there, no judge is going to overlook you. It is what it is so use it as fuel. Just my .02.

You can get into competition shape, take a ton of pics, and then post them on social media. A lot more people will see your physique that way then at a show. Who goes to a bodybuilding show? People who know the competitors, and maybe a few old gay dudes?

You can get into competition shape, take a ton of pics, and then post them on social media. A lot more people will see your physique that way then at a show. Who goes to a bodybuilding show? People who know the competitors, and maybe a few old gay dudes?
All the respect to guys who do that. But that’s not competing. Lol that’s becoming an influencer.

Don’t disagree. What drove you to compete for as long as you have?

I listen to guys like Dorian, Jay, Phil, Ronnie, and now even Derek now and money wasn’t the driver. Ronnie doesn’t regret a thing even though he can barely get around. Jay made a lot because he is smart, but even he couldn’t retire by the age he originally said and even now is walking around looking better at 50 than me at 34. LOL

There’s something in them that does this because they just fucking love it. How do we get that back to the stage?

Didn't Dorian say something like he is the happiest he has ever been since he stopped competing and living a normal life.

I mean he he is appreciative of what competing and bodybuilding has done for him but he really doesn't think highly of it now.

I could be wrong.

Didn't Dorian say something like he is the happiest he has ever been since he stopped competing and living a normal life.

I mean he he is appreciative of what competing and bodybuilding has done for him but he really doesn't think highly of it now.

I could be wrong.
He still interviews to this day on bodybuilding. Watch him talk about it in an interview- it’s like he was born to be Mr. Olympia. But yes, I know he is very happy at this stage of his life living in Spain leading retreats as well.

Know I will be happy when I no longer compete as well. Different chapters of life.

Wearing a thong on a stage flexing with a bunch of dudes is not exactly appealing to most people.
I'd say this and what others said...what's the reward? Similar to how some people have amazing tattoos and are covered in them...take great pride in them...but they have no desire to enter tattoo contests or attend conventions. Usually the only time they do is if the artist offers them free work to enter.

It costs a ridiculous amount of money to compete, the promoters and their flunkies that run the shows treat you like they are doing you some big favor by letting you be there and bossing you around, the judges suck and are biased as fuck, and the awards are cheap as hell.

How’s that for a few reasons.

You can apparently look like Phil Heath and wear board shorts now to compete. Problem solved. 🤣

The posing part and all the spray tan, shaving, and shit I think is unappealing for most guys.

I think a lot of guys like the process but just not the above and also the last 2-3 weeks. That gets pretty Draconian for guys with busy jobs, families, other hobbies, etc.

It costs a ridiculous amount of money to compete, the promoters and their flunkies that run the shows treat you like they are doing you some big favor by letting you be there and bossing you around, the judges suck and are biased as fuck, and the awards are cheap as hell.

How’s that for a few reasons.
No right or wrong answers. Love all the perspectives. Lol

I 100% agree on the trophies. In GA now some shows give out gladiator swords and shit. I missed the memo for those shows apparently. 😂

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity