over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WTF Is It with Gyms These Days?? [RANT]

reminds me, i was in myrtle beach and they used to have a hardcore worlds down there, small but a straight hardcore place, perfect. i used to look forward to vacationing there just to train at that gym. well oh how things have changed, now its in a nice little plaza. they have a beautiful coffee bar, art deco paintings, neon lights. the free weight segment or whats left of it has a nice big poster on the wall with the "rules" no powerlifting including heavy squats and deadlifts, no grunting, mandatory towel. the dumbells that used to go to 140's now stop at 100's. its a really pretty place and if i'm ever in myrtle beach again i might stop and have an expresso:rolleyes:

edge250 said:
i can tell them to get the fuck out:D they honestly should change the world gym logo...replace the gorilla with a fat lady.

Now thats friggin funny... LMFAO...

hardcore gym

I guess I am fortunate to still train at a hardcore gym...where just about anything goes...as long as you don't intentionally smash up the place...5th Ave Bodybuilding gym in Brooklyn...its been around since 1979...and has been used as the setting of some of the universal nutrition ads... there are several bodybuilders from back in the day that still train there...Bernard Sealy.. from the masters olympia, Carmi Smith.... and Kai Greene among others..
there are few other old style...gyms in Brooklyn that are still around....5th ave is the best though.

hard2core2

I work as a trainer in one of these sissy gyms. Rubber coated weights, dumbells go only up to 100 lbs. The majority of the members are fat women and old people. We have a towel service, locker room ammenities, private changing rooms, an outdoor waterpark and an indoor lap pool. Most of the members are there for pilates, or aerobic classes. BUT, THERE IS HOPE!!! It's a chain gym, so it's been a battle making changes, but it's slowly happening. I've been talking to management and our marketing department. If intelligent arguments are presented and you can make them realize that they are missing an important group of REPEAT monthly customers by ignoring the more hardcore segments of the industry, you CAN accomplish changes. For example, one of the things we've changed is in the "machine" weight sections, soft music is played. In the free weight area, hard music is played. It's a matter of finding ways to integrate the gorillas with the grannies. It isn't easy, but it can be done. It's really our only hope. If we don't integrate, gyms for people like us will completely disappear eventually.

I just recently did a powerlifting class there. 10 people came....it's a start.

Last edited:
BigBoyJ said:
It's a matter of finding ways to integrate the gorillas with the grannies.

LOL... Well put... The funny thing is, the granny's on stay the first 2 months if their membership anyway, it seems. We have a constant revolving door for them and it seems a new bingo group comes in each month just to quit 2 later.

Kaiser said:
LOL... Well put... The funny thing is, the granny's on stay the first 2 months if their membership anyway, it seems. We have a constant revolving door for them and it seems a new bingo group comes in each month just to quit 2 later.

Exactly what many health club mgrs/owners loves if they signed a long term contract.

CROWLER

hard2core2 said:
I guess I am fortunate to still train at a hardcore gym...where just about anything goes...as long as you don't intentionally smash up the place...5th Ave Bodybuilding gym in Brooklyn...its been around since 1979...and has been used as the setting of some of the universal nutrition ads... there are several bodybuilders from back in the day that still train there...Bernard Sealy.. from the masters olympia, Carmi Smith.... and Kai Greene among others..
there are few other old style...gyms in Brooklyn that are still around....5th ave is the best though.

hard2core2

Agree - been there once a LONG time ago. In Queens, you can check out PowerHouse Gym in Bayside on Francis Lewis Blvd. The entire basement is lined with old-skool power racks and their dumbbells go up to 200 lbs! Plus, there's no dust on those babies.

I used to work out there at about 4:00 AM. The entire place would be filled with cops, firemen and garbage, I mean, sanitation workers. You could hear the plates slamming, weights dropping, and just screams of hell from nearly a block away. It's still kinda like that, but not so much.

YES! PICTURE A BIG ASSED BARN OUT BY THE RIVER..

DOGMA said:
Jethro, I take it your building this gym in your home? or will it be a commercial place????

...WITH A GYM IN THE BOTTOM...A LARGE KITCHEN FOR PROTEIN DRINKS ETC..AND TWO BATHROOMS ON ONE SIDE OF THE WEIGHT ROOM...ON THE OTHER SIDE I'LL HAVE A CARDIO AREA, TANNING ROOM AND OFFICE. THE DOORS TO EACH OF THE ROOMS ARE LARGE SLIDING STALL DOORS ...SO THE ONCE THOSE DOORS ARE SHUT..THE WEIGHT ROOM IS ISOLATED!

UPSTAIRS...SPIRAL STAIR...HUGE LIVING AREA WITH FIREPLACE...TWO LARGE BEDROOMS AND A 20X30 COVERED DECK LOOKING OFF OUT INTO THE TREES.. I SURE HOPE IT ALL HAPPENS! I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE IT OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC...BUT THE PLAN IS TO TRAIN CLIENTS ONE ON ONE...PLUS JUST HAVE A FEW HARDCORE INDIVIDUALS WHO SHOW UP AND KICK ASS.:cool:

more hardcore

Colleseium Gym...in Queens, NY...off of Metropolitan Blvd....is another excellent place...it is very spaceous...and they have great equipment...heavy dumbells..past the 120's..chains, bands, one or two of the monolifts...the owner Teddy is a powerlifter.... I have only been there once but was very impressed with the place.
I have a good friend that trains there regularly....the guy who placed runner up to Phil Heath...and also earned a pro card last year...Farki...used to train there I don't know if the still does... Frenchy's Gym in Brooklyn ( I like that place)...and Richy's gym in Brooklyn ( there are three aren't too bad either).... I know there are two other hardcore gyms in Brooklyn as well...the names escape me at the moment.

hard2core2

Coopie said:
Agree - been there once a LONG time ago. In Queens, you can check out PowerHouse Gym in Bayside on Francis Lewis Blvd. The entire basement is lined with old-skool power racks and their dumbbells go up to 200 lbs! Plus, there's no dust on those babies.

I used to work out there at about 4:00 AM. The entire place would be filled with cops, firemen and garbage, I mean, sanitation workers. You could hear the plates slamming, weights dropping, and just screams of hell from nearly a block away. It's still kinda like that, but not so much.

cant imagine being at a gym like that

I am fortunate because the GOLDS that i lift at is not like that at all. Actually, when people sign up the owners a lot of the time will warn people that this a "lifters gym." the dumbells go up to 185's, and 2 years ago they just did a remodel. i think some of these owners need to get some balls and get back to basics because its people like us that keep their gyms in business. Not the masses of new jears resolution people. goo luck all.

That is why I opened my own....

In 1999, the guys that own 7 PH Gyms here in NE Fla., took out all the powerlifting rack and platforms. That pissed me off, although I am not a Powerlifter. A friend of mine was co-owner of one of the gyms, and he got fed up with the "Family Friendly" environment approach these guys were taking. He cashed out and we opened a little hardcore gym together. A gym where construction, sanitation, and any other blue collar worker, could come in off the street and start training without being stared at.

Would you believe the PH gym owners requested DJ get a gym membership, although he was doing all of his mag shots in there back then. :mad:

casper78 said:
I am fortunate because the GOLDS that i lift at is not like that at all. Actually, when people sign up the owners a lot of the time will warn people that this a "lifters gym." the dumbells go up to 185's, and 2 years ago they just did a remodel. i think some of these owners need to get some balls and get back to basics because its people like us that keep their gyms in business. Not the masses of new jears resolution people. goo luck all.

Hey Casper....good to see ya...we kind of run that gym the way we want don't we? LOL. The lunch hours is known as meathead hour and most people just kinda stear clear of us. Imagine anywhere from 4-8 of us any given lunch hour all between 240-300lbs grinding it out with some serious intensity!! I hope it doesn't change or I'm moving to Montana to train with Jethro!!

Not to hi-jack... but any news on little casper??

V

JETHRO TULL said:
...WITH A GYM IN THE BOTTOM...A LARGE KITCHEN FOR PROTEIN DRINKS ETC..AND TWO BATHROOMS ON ONE SIDE OF THE WEIGHT ROOM...ON THE OTHER SIDE I'LL HAVE A CARDIO AREA, TANNING ROOM AND OFFICE. THE DOORS TO EACH OF THE ROOMS ARE LARGE SLIDING STALL DOORS ...SO THE ONCE THOSE DOORS ARE SHUT..THE WEIGHT ROOM IS ISOLATED!

UPSTAIRS...SPIRAL STAIR...HUGE LIVING AREA WITH FIREPLACE...TWO LARGE BEDROOMS AND A 20X30 COVERED DECK LOOKING OFF OUT INTO THE TREES.. I SURE HOPE IT ALL HAPPENS! I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE IT OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC...BUT THE PLAN IS TO TRAIN CLIENTS ONE ON ONE...PLUS JUST HAVE A FEW HARDCORE INDIVIDUALS WHO SHOW UP AND KICK ASS.:cool:

HA HA suckers Jethro was already nice enough to give me a lifetime membership for only $100 a month and half price on the towel service and BEST of all he said I get to clean the puke bucket, whatever that is. :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

CROWLER

Listen to this shit - when I was up north for the holidays I went to a Planet Fitness in CT.

So I walk in and there's this big paragraph-long creed painted on the entrance wall about how anyone can work out here w/o being judged and can be comfortable and do their own thing blah blah blah. Ok - weak - but whatever. I got the eye from the front desk as soon as I walked in.

I'm doing shoulders so I go to the dumbells for some overhead presses. The heaviest were 75s. I'm not kidding. 75s. What the hell can you do with those? Obviously I ended up doing high rep sets. This is where things get ridiculous...

On my last few reps I grunt A LITTLE (I'm not a screamer or loud by any means). I finish my set and IMMEDIATELY I hear a loud siren going off like a cop or firetruck was nearby. I was like what the hell? Are we getting raided or something?

I look on the wall and there's a blue police beacon flashing with the siren going off. Over the alarm says "LUNK ALARM" which is then followed by the definition of a "LUNK" it read "Lunk: One who grunts, drops dumbells, or judges others". NO SHIT. I couldn't believe it. I was PISSED!

Some out-of-shape-pathetic-excuse-for-a-gym employee must have activated it. I don't know if he was trying to be funny or was serious. I decided not to confront them b/c I wasn't a member and was using a friend's guest member pass. Needless to say I won't be returning to Planet Shittness.

JasonWojo said:
Listen to this shit - when I was up north for the holidays I went to a Planet Fitness in CT.

So I walk in and there's this big paragraph-long creed painted on the entrance wall about how anyone can work out here w/o being judged and can be comfortable and do their own thing blah blah blah. Ok - weak - but whatever. I got the eye from the front desk as soon as I walked in.

I'm doing shoulders so I go to the dumbells for some overhead presses. The heaviest were 75s. I'm not kidding. 75s. What the hell can you do with those? Obviously I ended up doing high rep sets. This is where things get ridiculous...

On my last few reps I grunt A LITTLE (I'm not a screamer or loud by any means). I finish my set and IMMEDIATELY I hear a loud siren going off like a cop or firetruck was nearby. I was like what the hell? Are we getting raided or something?

I look on the wall and there's a blue police beacon flashing with the siren going off. Over the alarm says "LUNK ALARM" which is then followed by the definition of a "LUNK" it read "Lunk: One who grunts, drops dumbells, or judges others". NO SHIT. I couldn't believe it. I was PISSED!

Some out-of-shape-pathetic-excuse-for-a-gym employee must have activated it. I don't know if he was trying to be funny or was serious. I decided not to confront them b/c I wasn't a member and was using a friend's guest member pass. Needless to say I won't be returning to Planet Shittness.

Not sure if you were in NJ or not, but the owner of one of the Planet Fitness gyms in NJ is this absolute asshole that tries to look like George Michaels... died beard, frosted hair and all... the guy has to be 50 years old and out of shape... What an asshole... He also doesn't like it when guys come into the guy and are bigger than him.

LUNK alarm?!? That is the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. These gyms are owned by the same people who don't want their kids to play dodgeball in school because losing may hurt their self esteem. As a society we are being raised with the mindset that mediocrity is ok. We should accept our faults as people, and not try to better ourselves. Isn't that the point of a gym, to better ourselves physically? Well jerking off on a swiss ball won't get the job done, but I won't tell, I don't want to hurt anyone's self esteem.

BigBoyJ said:
I work as a trainer in one of these sissy gyms. Rubber coated weights, dumbells go only up to 100 lbs. The majority of the members are fat women and old people. We have a towel service, locker room ammenities, private changing rooms, an outdoor waterpark and an indoor lap pool. Most of the members are there for pilates, or aerobic classes. BUT, THERE IS HOPE!!! It's a chain gym, so it's been a battle making changes, but it's slowly happening. I've been talking to management and our marketing department. If intelligent arguments are presented and you can make them realize that they are missing an important group of REPEAT monthly customers by ignoring the more hardcore segments of the industry, you CAN accomplish changes. For example, one of the things we've changed is in the "machine" weight sections, soft music is played. In the free weight area, hard music is played. It's a matter of finding ways to integrate the gorillas with the grannies. It isn't easy, but it can be done. It's really our only hope. If we don't integrate, gyms for people like us will completely disappear eventually.

I just recently did a powerlifting class there. 10 people came....it's a start.

Oh great so now their alienating normal people away from freeweights? That has repercussions too. You don't need machines to build muscle and an impressive physique. There are a lot of great beneficial exercises "normal" everyday gym members should be doing with barbells and dumbells too. Like squats and deadlifts. Here's a thought bro. If you really want to twist your managment and marketing team tell them to buy a fucking trap bar. That's the single best piece of equipment any gym should/could own.

BitsOBrawn said:
Oh great so now their alienating normal people away from freeweights? That has repercussions too. You don't need machines to build muscle and an impressive physique. There are a lot of great beneficial exercises "normal" everyday gym members should be doing with barbells and dumbells too. Like squats and deadlifts. Here's a thought bro. If you really want to twist your managment and marketing team tell them to buy a fucking trap bar. That's the single best piece of equipment any gym should/could own.

I dont think you fully get the idea of this thread. First off, we are "normal" people. We just choose to take care of our bodies more efficiently. Second the thread is about the exact opposite. It is about gyms being overthrown corporate-wise, and making it uncomfortable to train with any kind of dilligence or strong will. As far as telling everyone here they don't need an impressive physique, well, maybe you are in the wrong forum. Not sure if you realize this or not but I'll let you in on a little secret: THATS WHAT THIS FORUM IS ABOUT!... Shhhh, dont tell anyone...

I have belong to a lot of the gyms mentioned when i had to sign up for a moth to train my girl and get her on the right track. Rules such has no head wear bandannas or hats. WTF I always were bandannas for sweat. No bottled water over 20oz containers. No chalk. I have seen it to the point were persons have to wipe sweat of dumbbell handles. Dumbbells go only up to 75 pnds. A lot has to do with insurance purposes also I believe for particular types of gyms. I spoke to my girl about this as she is in the insurance business.

Lucky for me I belong to a hard core gym like from the 80's. The dumbbells go up to 160 and they even have a room for power lifting. They have a reverse hyper machine, Appolon's Axle and 100 pound plates. Its in a factory and the walls are brick. It is great. The walls have graffiti pictures, comic book heroes etc. With other walls covered with old muscle mag covers. You can carry gallon jugs of water, use chalk, wear bandannas and grunt as loud as you want. They have puke buckets next to every squat rack. Its great. Only complaint will be if I move or they close.

Only Rules are posted on large signs. Lift hard or go home and rack you weight.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws