over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WTF Is It with Gyms These Days?? [RANT]

Kaiser

Moderator/Computer Geek
[RANT]
WTF is it with gyms these days? Have they all gone soft? OK, here in NJ we have about 10 different large chain gyms. By chain gyms I mean Golds, World, LA Fitness, etc. Anyway, here's my beef. I am stuck going to a little gym that has semi good equipment. The reason? All of these places have their head up their ass. For instance, I like training for power so I grunt every once in a while, I even drop a dumbell every once in a while, but not hard. But come on, thats with some serious weight and the era I came from it is what training is about. Just to let you know the mentality around here, a few gyms started a ticket system or something like it. Ok, drop a weight, you get a ticket, grunt, and I mean grunt, not scream, and you get a ticket. 3 tickets and you lost your membership. WTF are they kidding me? They even have signs saying not to make F-ckin noise! Now like I said, I go to small gym for those reasons. But I need more equipment. So I say OK, maybe I'll have 2 memberships and when I am going for heavy weight I'll just go to my little shit gym. Now they've gone even farther. The dumbells now stop at 120s. Are they for real? What the hell can you do with chest to build it at my weight with only 120s. Anyway, I guess it's all about getting in the "normal" public, but dont they realize, that after 1 year these people dont sign up again anyway? They friggin' quit after the first month, you know and I know. So where's the respect for us, the people who go and pay memberships every friggin' year? It truly is a corporate world now, with everything. United States needs to find a balance soon.
[/RANT]

Last edited:
Yup

Kaiser that is why home gyms are becoming more and more popular...too much frat-boy imagery at gyms these days. Just like Ronnie says. it is something like: "everybody wanna be big, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights"

Kaiser said:
[RANT]
WTF is it with gyms these days? Have they all gone soft? OK, here in NJ we have about 10 different large chain gyms. By chain gyms I mean Golds, World, LA Fitness, etc. Anyway, here's my beef. I am stuck going to a little gym that has semi good equipment. The reason? All of these places have their head up their ass. For instance, I like training for power so I grunt every once in a while, I even drop a dumbell every once in a while, but not hard. But come on, thats with some serious weight and the era I came from it is what training is about. Just to let you know the mentality around here, a few gyms started a ticket system or something like it. Ok, drop a weight, you get a ticket, grunt, and I mean grunt, not scream, and you get a ticket. 3 tickets and you lost your membership. WTF are they kidding me? They even have signs saying not to make F-ckin noise! Now like I said, I go to small gym for those reasons. But I need more equipment. So I say OK, maybe I'll have 2 memberships and when I am going for heavy weight I'll just go to my little shit gym. Now they've gone even farther. The dumbells now stop at 120s. Are they for real? What the hell can you do with chest to build it at my weight with only 120s. Anyway, I guess it's all about getting in the "normal" public, but dont they realize, that after 1 year these people dont sign up again anyway? They friggin' quit after the first month, you know and I know. So where's the respect for us, the people who go and pay memberships every friggin' year? It truly is a corporate world now, with everything. United States needs to find a balance soon.
[/RANT]

I go to LA Fitness and it really sucks everyone looks at me like I am crazy every day... there hasn't been a day someone hasn't called me crazy and Heavy deadlifts are not allowed... but I don't listen to them because I pay yearly in advance... also most of the time no one complains thank god but I have to go around 10:00am thats only time where I can go heavy without getting into trouble and tomorrow is legs... It really sucks to hear most gyms only go to 120s or 125s for dumbells which really sucks but you can always buy bands to keep full tension and work with those for some extra resistance or see if you can get people in your gym to do a petition or some crap to get heavier dumbells I wish LA fitness would get 200lb dumbells but I am dreaming lol... one time about 1 year ago... Luke and I did heavy deadlifts and heavy chest with dumbells we got kicked out that day someone complained we didnt rerack all our weights but we both stripped the bar clean and put everything away and our dumbells got complaints that after we finished the set we bounced them into the fall... but after that last rep had them on my chest and then i did a sit up with them then put them on the floor lol... but still got in trouble thats why I tend to try and go in the morning as much as possible unless I am going light for recovery...

Lets here some estimates on how much a good basic home gym would cost you....lets say about 700-1000 sq ft plus equipment.....

Jrflex10er said:
Lets here some estimates on how much a good basic home gym would cost you....lets say about 700-1000 sq ft plus equipment.....

I dont know what you are getting at, but I wouldn't use a home gym. I have plenty of room, no equipment. Even if I did I would still have to go out to an external gym for interaction. I feel it gives a good amount of competition or at least makes me want to try harder.

Kaiser said:
I dont know what you are getting at, but I wouldn't use a home gym. I have plenty of room, no equipment. Even if I did I would still have to go out to an external gym for interaction. I feel it gives a good amount of competition or at least makes me want to try harder.

Well what I'm getting at is the first step of me building my own home gym because the gym I workout at has a old lady meeting every monday and you can't have no loud music no nothing and I'm sick of the bull....I would rather have my own gym...have the 5-10 buddies that lift full time and have them put in some money to help me out....I think it would allow for alot better growth since we are the only ones at the gym that gives any competition to each other....just looking for some opinions...thats all....basically you wouldn't need a squat rack because you could build one yourself. You could build alot of shit yourself if you are good with steel and welding...

Ivan said:
Kaiser that is why home gyms are becoming more and more popular...too much frat-boy imagery at gyms these days. Just like Ronnie says. it is something like: "everybody wanna be big, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights"

Exactly the reason I workout at home.

A health club/gym is a business and is about making money just like any business. They know that the grunters and heavey lifters are in the minority so they cater to the majority were most of the money is.

Same reason a restaurant plays soft music which is prefered by most rather than head bangin heavey metal which is preferred by few.

Easiest way to keep the hard core lifters out is no chalk allowed and no heavey DBs. I am suprised they go up to 120lbs. Don't be suprised if one day the 120s and 110s mysteriously disappear.

Just a business decision no more no less. BTW I have owned hard core gym and a frufru health club. No comparison when it comes to profits.

CROWLER

Last edited:
gym rant!

Man I don't know what the fuck it is with these gyms today! 120's???? The gym I just left went up to 140's and when I asked them for some bigger dumbbells(I've been a member for 10yrs and I'm tight w/ manager) on of the proters looked at me like WTF??? Luckily there's one hardcore gym left here with 150, 60, 70,80's and a set of 200's(fuck yeah!!) Guess where I'm at now?

If you have a few hardcore buddies to push you then a home gym with some decent equiptment is a good investment. If not find yourself a small privately owned gym that has a couple of hardcore lifters and some big dumbells. I try to stay away form the big chain gyms for the reasons outlined above. I used to work in a small chain gym in NY and it was the same freaken story, we'd squat, grunt, deadlift, and scare the old people and eventually I got fired! :D WOOOHOOOO! Now I train at the dingiest, dirtiest, and most hardcore shithole in brooklyn, and I love it!

IRONMAN83 said:
If you have a few hardcore buddies to push you then a home gym with some decent equiptment is a good investment. If not find yourself a small privately owned gym that has a couple of hardcore lifters and some big dumbells. I try to stay away form the big chain gyms for the reasons outlined above. I used to work in a small chain gym in NY and it was the same freaken story, we'd squat, grunt, deadlift, and scare the old people and eventually I got fired! :D WOOOHOOOO! Now I train at the dingiest, dirtiest, and most hardcore shithole in brooklyn, and I love it!

You lucky bastard!!!! I'm jealous! :( That's my dream gym and I'm not kidding....something about the sweat smell that makes it more intense....a hardcore gym CAN NOT have any windows in it either....We used to have a gym like this but they closed it down and turned it into a Y....go figure...

I know that it sucks but you might just have to go during off hours. Nobody will care if there are only 5 or 6 people in the gym most likely. I know I usually do legs on Sundays because at my gym it's basically empty those days. As far as having heavy enough weights there's not much you can do about that other than request heavier dumbbells and hope they get em'. It's lame but very true that by catering to the masses gyms make a hell of a lot more money. Not every gym can be Metroflex I guess.

My gym is now making carrying a towel mandatory. It's gotten crazy. The other day I was doing a little cardio, not intense as I was reading a book and highlighting, and one of the managers walks over with a towel towards me. I was over half way done with my cardio and was on the VERY last chapter of the book! He stood by me with this towel, and before he could speak I told him that this was ridiculous! My look was one of disgust. He must have known at that point to not say anything as he placed the towel on the bike and walked off. On the way out of the gym I handed him the unused towel, folded nicely, and said here ya go. He replied, It's all for appearance Peter. If you don't do it no one else will. I agree, but the problem is at our gym is they don't do a towel service. They sell them and if they see you with out one they will ask you to buy one or leave. ??? I mean, people shouldn't leave nasty sweat all over equipment, but you can't make someone use a towel even if they are enforced to use one. They are going to catch someone of guard who has had a long day at work and isn't thinking about a stupid towel. This will be the time someone goes off! That's the difference with health clubs. They don't care. They got your money already. This could work if they provided the towels, but that is an expense. Heaven forbid they actually give back to the members instead of taking. The irony here is if it wasn't for bodybuilding(where the industry began), these pencil neck car salemen "fitness counselor" who have never lifted a weight wouldn't have a job.

Last edited:
Completely agree!

When I read this post I started to laugh...my trainin' parnters and I have been complaining about our local chain gym (World's) for a couple of years now. Everything that you all are saying is what we go through. We have been warned for grunting and droppin weights. The funny thing is that the gym owner did not have the balls to say anything to us..rather he sent one of his workers over.
No chalk allowed, shitty tunes and the best part is that the owner has worked out some kinda deal with a couple of the local grade/middle schools, so for about 2-3 hours per day we've got about 30-40 young kids runnin around the place...what a joke. D-bells only go to 120's...used to only go to 100's but surprisingly just got 120's due to several requests. Just not enough weight and worst of all they are rubber IVANKO. Sure the quality is great, but the rubber thickness makes each d-bell about 18" long. Too damn long to get proper balance. Plus there is no substitute for the cold heavy iron in you're hands.
We have decided to go the private gym route as well. My trainin' partner is getting ready to build the place this spring. He already bought the property/lot next to his home and we are currently looking for equipment (any ideas or if you know of good equipment for sale...PM me).
The plan is to build this gym just to have a hard core place to train. Dues will be cheap and each member will be given a key and can train anytime they want. Only rule is that members will be by invite only, and best of all no more bullshit. Music will be hardcore.
Enough is enough of the lame ass gyms.

I miss my chalk and ammonia capsules...

EXACTLY WHY I AM BUILDING MY OWN GYM/HOUSE/BARN COMBINATION!

I WANT THE GYM PART OF THE PLACE TO BE SOME WHERE WHERE ANY BOARD MEMBER COULD WALK IN AND SAY..."OKAY, THIS PLACE KICKS ASS, I CAN GET BIG HERE"...........THE ROCK GUY IS DOING THE SHOWERS THIS WEEK! I AM PRETTY FIRED UP! [TO SAY THE LEAST!] I HAVE 1350 SQUARE FEET AVAILABLE FOR THE WEIGH ROOM. I JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE I GET THE PLACE BUILT BEFORE I TRY TO BUY EQUIPMENT. SMALL STEPS ...BUT THE DREAM WILL BE REALIZED! [I HOPE!]:D

THE FIELD STONE WE SELECTED LOOKS LIKE SLATE....IT'S REALLY COOL LOOKING....WE WILL BE USING IT ON THE FIREPLACE UPSTAIRS AS WELL.

For you fellas looking for equipment, Icarian & Ivanco and others sell off-lease equipment and reposetions. I have an acquantance that sells it for them. I will try to get some info if you want.

Jrflex10er said:
Well what I'm getting at is the first step of me building my own home gym because the gym I workout at has a old lady meeting every monday and you can't have no loud music no nothing and I'm sick of the bull....I would rather have my own gym...have the 5-10 buddies that lift full time and have them put in some money to help me out....I think it would allow for alot better growth since we are the only ones at the gym that gives any competition to each other....just looking for some opinions...thats all....basically you wouldn't need a squat rack because you could build one yourself. You could build alot of shit yourself if you are good with steel and welding...

OK cool bro. I waasn't sure how you were saying it and how it pertained. Thats a good idea, I just do not see myself getting a good workout unless I get out of the house and physically go somewhere. Call me crazy, but it must be the A.D.D. or something... Anyway good luck with building your gym.

Very true... Gyms have changed dramatically since I began lifting in the mid 1980's. Back then I trained at a gym called Power Pump - grunting, yelling, sweating, and maxing out were mandatory. Hell, you were asked to leave if you didn't attack the weights with a vengance! Then I switched to a place called Mt. Olympus - same drill - left heavy or get the F out!

Nowadays these stand-alone gyms don't exist. I suppose they can't compete with the franchises in terms of costs and leverage. It's too bad, really. Recently I trained at a New York Sports Club (it was during the blizzard and it's the closest gym to my house). Shit - the dumbells only go up to 100 lbs!

Coopie said:
Very true... Gyms have changed dramatically since I began lifting in the mid 1980's. Back then I trained at a gym called Power Pump - grunting, yelling, sweating, and maxing out were mandatory. Hell, you were asked to leave if you didn't attack the weights with a vengance! Then I switched to a place called Mt. Olympus - same drill - left heavy or get the F out!

Nowadays these stand-alone gyms don't exist. I suppose they can't compete with the franchises in terms of costs and leverage. It's too bad, really. Recently I trained at a New York Sports Club (it was during the blizzard and it's the closest gym to my house). Shit - the dumbells only go up to 100 lbs!

Love those days... I started back in 88-89. They had the large chalk cylinders on each wall. Ammonia smelling salts... everything... Guys used to headbut the wall and then do a set for psych... lol... Anyway, a small chain (Retro Fitness) started around here that I go to. It is the one I am talking about that lacks a little equipment (mainly Hammer Strength back and chest equipment, love that stuff...) But at least we can lift the way we want to. And I dont have to carry around a towell like Linus's Security Blanket... (lol Peter..) The only thing they dont want is chalk, I guess because of the mess. Well, I can live with that, I dont go as heavy as I used to anyway. Especially when they are only charging $19.95 a month, and thats cheap here in NJ. Shit, $240 for a year... thats awesome... OK, I';m not feeling so bad anymore... guess I just had to vent a little...

i'm in the process of building an old school "hardcore" gym as eatbigtogetbig mention'd. i cant take corporate fitness anymore. i have been the in the "mainstream" gym business before and know what each and everyone of you are talking about, but a gym is a business and a business has to make money. the best gym is a gym that doesnt have to make money, or has very little overhead so when i slam the 150's on the ground and the chalk dust fly's and the metal coming outta the speakers is giving someone a headache and they complain.........i can tell them to get the fuck out:D they honestly should change the world gym logo...replace the gorilla with a fat lady. i cant wait till all the guys disappear outta that place, i'm gonna laugh my ass off.

Jethro, I take it your building this gym in your home? or will it be a commercial place????

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear