over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

yummy...cigarette right before lifting

doitright

Registered
what could possibly be worse than someone smoking a cigarette just before coming in the door at the gym. People have different reasons for lifting but i just couldnt come up with one good reason why someone would throw out a cigarette five minutes before lifting. WTF is wrong with that picture. If you want to smoke thats your business, if you want to do whatever the hell it is you want to do that is your business. But what is my business is when your fat, nasty, cheeseburger eating, smokestack smelling ass comes stand next to me and chokes out all of my damn oxygen thats a damn problem.

you cant label every smoker under that. Im a smoker and was before i started to hit the gym. unfortanely i havent been able to quit. It was with me from the start. I consider myself a very health conscious person minus the smokin. im 5'9 215 and in great shape. If you have never been addicted to smoking you prolly dont now what its like to quit and I dont mean the casual social smoker. I been smoking since I was 14 now 27, thats 13 years. let me just say it is not easy to quit. I have a few buddys that do smoke and are huge meaning bodybuilder like. Does smoking affect you in the gym? I guess so. as for me I dont notice a difference since I have always smoked. I can smoke a ciggarette and still run 2 miles in 17min. not bad I guess. I do want to quit smoking in the future though!

I knew a guy years ago that would take a smoke break DURING the workout!! I also knew a guy that would come in to train reeking of weed! They guy was so stoned… and then he would ask for spots and the spotter would have to do half the weight for him. There are some real cases out there :D

ya the smell may suck. smoking before lifting becomes a habit. any thing with smoking you have these damn social ques. that make you want a cig that much more. those are some of the hardest habits to break. also not all smokers are fat asses lol.

That's ok.......i saw a few of the Ms. Olympia contestants smoking the day of the show. If i remember right, Iris Kyle was one of them

I used to smoke half a pack for 6 years before I finally decided to quit and actually dedicate my time and discipline to the weights. And I did it cold turkey. It is very possible to quit smoking, it's just that addicts just aren't willing to. To those people that say smoking is a habit that can't be given up, it's a lie and their the ones who aren't making the effort or being disciplined enough to quit on their own. Also, IMO a smoker who actually makes an attempt at coming to the gym and lifting and cardio is actually doing themselves good compared to those who smoke and remain sedentary. Hey, at least they're making the effort.

Last edited:
lol you want to quit smoking dont move into a new place. hahah its a process like any thing else cold turkey some people cant do some can. most people i know did better with just only smoking less and less day by day. then just quitting. very bad habit, and stinks to.

I used to smoke half a pack for 6 years before I finally decided to quit and actually dedicate my time and discipline to the weights. And I did it cold turkey. It is very possible to quit smoking, it's just that addicts just aren't willing to. To those people that say smoking is a habit that can't be given up, it's a lie and their the ones who aren't making the effort or being disciplined enough to quit on their own. Also, IMO a smoker who actually makes an attempt at coming to the gym and lifting and cardio is actually doing themselves good compared to those who smoke and remain sedentary. Hey, at least they're making the effort.

I'm with you bro, pack or more a day for about 10 years here. I quit because i couldn't last on the treadmill for more than 10 min jog. I really is just habbit, i don't believe for a second its a nicotine issue, its pure habbit. I had to keep suckers with me in the car and other times as it was just habbit to want to put one in my mouth during those times.
Now i smoke cigars at night sometimes with a nice cup of coffee. Ive even been able to smoke the tiny flavored cigarettes with coffee at night on occasion without falling back into the routine.

I used to smoke half a pack for 6 years before I finally decided to quit and actually dedicate my time and discipline to the weights. And I did it cold turkey. It is very possible to quit smoking, it's just that addicts just aren't willing to. To those people that say smoking is a habit that can't be given up, it's a lie and their the ones who aren't making the effort or being disciplined enough to quit on their own.

agreed. before i started to lift i quit heroin, meth and cocaine cold turkey. that is much harder IMO than quitting smoking.

agreed. before i started to lift i quit heroin, meth and cocaine cold turkey. that is much harder IMO than quitting smoking.

::ction-sm Glad to hear this. It's refreshing to hear about someone kicking the habit without resorting to a life-time of methadone.

paddington

I disagree. I too have been down that route. I was able to quit everything except smoking. Ive read studies that say nicotine is as if not harder to quit than heroin once addicted.

I disagree. I too have been down that route. I was able to quit everything except smoking. Ive read studies that say nicotine is as if not harder to quit than heroin once addicted.
Your saying that quiting cigarettes is harder than quiting opiates?!?! Thats some serious BS right there man. Maybe almost as hard mentally, but I cannot begin to explain the extreme pain and torture one goes through during heavy opiate withdrawal. It's like the worse flu you've ever had... times 10. Extreme colds sweats, vomiting, insomnia, seizures.... and if not treated, you can even die within a couple days. Cigarettes... it's all in your head! Anyone can quit cold turkey at any time, without experiencing hardly any physical withdrawal.

Your saying that quiting cigarettes is harder than quiting opiates?!?! Thats some serious BS right there man. Maybe almost as hard mentally, but I cannot begin to explain the extreme pain and torture one goes through during heavy opiate withdrawal. It's like the worse flu you've ever had... times 10. Extreme colds sweats, vomiting, insomnia, seizures.... and if not treated, you can even die within a couple days. Cigarettes... it's all in your head! Anyone can quit cold turkey at any time, without experiencing hardly any physical withdrawal.

You do get sick when you quit smoking, but i agree with what you said, quitting smoking doesnt comapre to opiates in terms of withdrawl.

I knew a guy years ago that would take a smoke break DURING the workout!! I also knew a guy that would come in to train reeking of weed! They guy was so stoned… and then he would ask for spots and the spotter would have to do half the weight for him. There are some real cases out there :D

I know people like this. If I owned a gym they would not be aloud to come in under the influence. Safety risk.

Actually there are a lot of benefits of nicotine for a bodybuilder, energy, fat loss appetite suppression etc. Not saying nicotine makes you healthier, but, for someone looking for the above name things. Not saying to smoke, any benefit would be mitigated by all the toxins etc., but one could probably chew some nicotine gum twice a day for a month and see some decent results when it comes to energy, fat loss appetite suppression etc.The individual of course would crash once they came off it and may have withdrawals so I would NOT recommend it, but I have heard of many combining it with other fat loss supplements for a synegetsic effect.

OH! TAKE A LOOKY AT THIS!!!

Effect of chewing gum containing nicotine and caffeine on energy expenditure and substrate utilization in men.

Jessen AB, Toubro S, Astrup A.

Department of Human Nutrition, Centre for Advanced Food Studies, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark.

BACKGROUND: Nicotine replacement therapy limits weight gain after smoking cessation. This finding is partly attributable to the thermogenic effect of nicotine, which may be enhanced by caffeine. OBJECTIVE: We assessed the acute thermogenic effects of chewing gum containing different doses of nicotine and caffeine. DESIGN: This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study included 12 healthy, normal-weight men (aged 18-45 y). Energy expenditure was measured with indirect calorimetry before and 2.5 h after subjects chewed each of 7 different types of gum containing the following doses of nicotine/caffeine: 0/0, 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg/mg. RESULTS: The thermogenic responses (increases over the response to placebo) were 3.7%, 4.9%, 7.9%, 6.3%, 8.5%, and 9.8%, respectively, for the gums containing 1/0, 2/0, 1/50, 2/50, 1/100, and 2/100 mg nicotine/mg caffeine (P < 0.05 for all). Adding caffeine to 1 and 2 mg nicotine significantly enhanced the thermogenic response, but changing the caffeine dose (from 50 to 100 mg) did not change the thermogenic effect. None of the combinations changed the respiratory quotient compared with placebo, which indicates that glucose and fat oxidation rates were increased to a similar extent. Side effects occurred only with 2 mg nicotine. CONCLUSIONS: One milligram of nicotine has a pronounced thermogenic effect, which can be increased by approximately 100% by adding 100 mg caffeine. Increasing the nicotine dose to 2 mg does not increase the thermogenic effect but produces side effects in most subjects. Caffeine may be useful in preventing weight gain after smoking cessation if its thermogenic effect can be used to enhance nicotine's effect on long-term energy balance.

Last edited:
I have heard the nicotine suppresses estrogen to some degree.. I smoked for years. Quit and then started again, quit again.. I always gain a helluva lot easier when I am smoke free. More energy too. If you can do it, it is totally worth it. It definitely is not easy. I had little problem dropping amphetamines but nicotine is a bitch for me.

i agree. well here it is....my demon....i was addicted to nubain....then oxycotinin, then HEROIN. that right 4 years worht of pain and anguish and trying to not be sick constantly. i was up to 10 bags of heroin per shot!!! thats a whole bundle!!!!! and that was 3-5 times a day!!!! i am recovering about 4 years clean now. i went on methadone and the suboxone. even still you have to suffer withdrawls to get from one medication to another and resist the urge to use or you start all over again! when people tell me its to hard to quit anything i get so pissed. if ican do it then you can too! but it takes an inner strength some people just dont have. my mom had a heart attack a few weeks ago. she hadnt smoked for 2 weeks and i found out yesterday she is smoking again! i am so pissed and she says i dont understand.

opiates are hell. they will bring you to the brink of insanity and back. the one positive thing is i know i can do ANYTHING after that hell!!!!!

wow...

I didnt realize my venting would start such a discussion. Allot of people on here have come along way recovering from different addictions. Hope I didnt offend anyone with the OP but I was just in a bad mood and needed to blow the steam. Let me elaborate a bit more on what went on.

The guy was standing right by the front door smoking, flicked his cancer stick out and came right in. The smell was seriously unbearable. He was really disguisting. I would have rathered watch him eat a few donuts by the door then have to smell that. It's a small gym and guys on here that don't smoke and are really sensitive to the aroma know what I am talking about. The shit just reaks plain and simple. Anyway enough on the subject from me.

doitright

i agree. well here it is....my demon....i was addicted to nubain....then oxycotinin, then HEROIN. that right 4 years worht of pain and anguish and trying to not be sick constantly. i was up to 10 bags of heroin per shot!!! thats a whole bundle!!!!! and that was 3-5 times a day!!!! i am recovering about 4 years clean now. i went on methadone and the suboxone. even still you have to suffer withdrawls to get from one medication to another and resist the urge to use or you start all over again! when people tell me its to hard to quit anything i get so pissed. if ican do it then you can too! but it takes an inner strength some people just dont have. my mom had a heart attack a few weeks ago. she hadnt smoked for 2 weeks and i found out yesterday she is smoking again! i am so pissed and she says i dont understand.

opiates are hell. they will bring you to the brink of insanity and back. the one positive thing is i know i can do ANYTHING after that hell!!!!!

congrates man on where you are now in your life. I am with you man that anyone can quit anything if they want to bad enough. I can't speak from experience on any addiction but i have lost several close family members to cancer and hear attacks. Hell my dad's dr told him several years ago point blank..."if you want to see your grandchildren quit smoking NOW" and you know what my dad never touched another one since then and is still with us and enjoying every minute with his grandkids. Sometimes it takes a serious kick in the ass for some people to see the damn light.

take care!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting