mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who still deadlifts ? ( asking bbers only)

Yes bro, its great for your overall body growth. I do deadlifts once every other week because it is so taxing on my body that everything gets sore. I never go below 6 reps because when you do you open yourself up for injury and then your screwed for a while. The 6 reps I do though are to failure so I put everything I have into each one.

You are high if you think less than 6reps is somehow going to injure you. You stated you are going to failure....so I guess in your world there is something magical with 6 that doesnt exist with 5? Come on now.

High reps can be more dangerous than low reps, in fact are most of the time, since form almost inevitably breaks down the more reps you do.

first of all, deadlifts are one of the basic movements in building ur body.
u dont have to lift 300-500lbs to tweak ur back, so listen to what feels right for ur level of fitness.... 12 days to recover- wtf!!!
stop watching all these idiots in the gym trying to move more weight then their body can handle.... and do work

This is why people get hurt deadlifting:

When the vertebrae are properly aligned, the lumbar is in a neutral position that is slightly arched. This is the only position that the discs are are loaded evenly.

Note that they UPPER back is slightly rounded naturally, this is the optimal position for thoracic vertebrae to be loaded. This is why deadlifting with a slightly rounded mid/upper back doesn't cause injury.

lumbar+vertebrae.jpg

When you deadlift, if you can't maintain a slight arch in the lumbar spine (lower), you are going to herniate a disc because it is getting pinched from the improper position, and is loaded all on one part. It also puts the muscle in an elongated position, with the attachment points further apart, and thus weakens the muscle, increasing risk of soft tissue injury.

The REASON people deadlift with a rounded lower back is either, a) they don't have the muscular strength to maintain a contracted lower back, or b) their hamstrings are too tight to allow the lower back to become neutral in the starting position.

Sometimes you see powerlifters lifting with what looks like a very rounded back, however if you look closely, you will almost always see that they lumbar spine is not rounded. It can be hard to tell...

Last edited:
Kostinov or KK is a good example of some one who deads with a rounded upper back but in lumbar extension.

Does rack pulls work your lower back also, are do they put alot of stress on it, asking from someone whos got a bad back, sorry to thread jump??????

In my opinion they will build your lower back like no other, if done properly. And yes I and many others have found that 10-14 days between heavy deadlift workouts allows maximum super compensation. Not saying to dead lift every 10-14 days, only between Heavy days where your trying to set PR's 2-3 lighter less strenuous back workouts should be used to prevent disuse and atrophy.

Biomechanically speaking, if you are built to deadlift (short torso, long arms), you will build much muscle in your posterior chain and back by doing them. I think you'd be cheating yourself out of the extra muscle by not doing them.

As for those who aren't built to deadlift, I am not sure.

I remember Phil posting that naturals should squat and pull for the hormonal boost. Or something like that.

Last edited:
The most common mistake I see other than poor posture is letting the bar get too far away from the body's center. Slipped disk for sure. You really don't need a ton of weight. It's a great movement if done right.

The most common mistake I see other than poor posture is letting the bar get too far away from the body's center. Slipped disk for sure. You really don't need a ton of weight. It's a great movement if done right.

Yeah, I got my share of bloody shins from doing them!

I see people with hips too low trying to squat the weight up. I do them with my knees only bent enough to stay in lumbar extension.

I see people with hips too low trying to squat the weight up. I do them with my knees only bent enough to stay in lumbar extension.

Exactly, many people try to maintain some kind of maximal "upright" positioning when doing squats and deadlifts. This is a complete mistake, the angle of your torso relative to the ground is a function of your genetics, proper mechanics will dictate torso angle, you cannot control it.

Exactly, many people try to maintain some kind of maximal "upright" positioning when doing squats and deadlifts. This is a complete mistake, the angle of your torso relative to the ground is a function of your genetics, proper mechanics will dictate torso angle, you cannot control it.

Agreed on this.

However, and not sure y'all actually mean this, but there is a stretch reflex that comes from dropping the hips low and "leg pressing the ground" in order to break the weight off the floor.

Right as the bar leaves the floor, though, the lifter won't look like he's "squatting it up".

I still do deads. I think it's imperative to do them if you want your back to hold up when doing other exercises such as squats and bent over rows. I do not believe a strong lower back can be built only with back extensions and good mornings.

I do rack-pulls instead, same work less risk. Also you get stronger faster with them.

I still do em

although not every week and not as heavy as i used too, and im 53 now

I want the smallest waist possible, used to deadlift heavy weights, waist was much thicker, I don't do abdominal work for the same reason, the greatest feeling on earth comes from having a very small waist, not a blocky, thick, pregnant waist.

Breaking off the floor is tough on my back (L5-S1 herniation) but deadlifting top-down (out of a power rack) has helped me add back thickness and hold some decent weight without blowing out my back again. Have to use straps though because it's really hard to keep elbows straight with a mixed grip when unracking and don't want to tear a biceps.

I want the smallest waist possible, used to deadlift heavy weights, waist was much thicker, I don't do abdominal work for the same reason, the greatest feeling on earth comes from having a very small waist, not a blocky, thick, pregnant waist.

Squats are what thicken the obliques, not deadlifts. Deadlifts make your waist bigger by thickening the spinal erectors, which does not change anything about your waist width, only your pant size.

In addition to this, even squats only thicken the obliques, NOT the hip bones, which are BELOW your obliques and are what really define your waist size.

And finally, training abs correctly will actually tighten them up and certainly doesn't make them blocky.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
vz2000
NapsGear