over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What is too fat for a bodybulder?

machomadness22

Registered
Hey all, Just wondering what body fat is to high or does it matter for a competitive bodybuilder? I'm making great gains naturally right now before my next show in March 15 but my bodyfat is somewhat increasing I don't look disgustingly fat or anything (just a little pudge) but I want to make good gains on my offseason and I am making great progress each week, I've laid off the carbs some days but I don't feel all that great in the gym I'm proably sitting at about 13% right now should I cut down now and stay lean as possible? or keeping making progress with my strength and size?

Abs are fairly visible at 13%, most likely if you are asking this question you're higher than you seem to think.

You should not associate weight gain in the off season with progress. You should be gaining lean mass.

Measure gains by extra reps or more weight on your lifts not by what you weigh. Remember bodybuilding is about the look not the scale.

Also, what is your goal, is it to compete in a higher weight group next comp? Did you win in your current class? Lots to consider. Best of luck with your future comp. Best thing I can say is have goals, specific measurable goals, and stick to them.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Well if you can get in shape, have tight skin and vascularity and not show stretch marks and loose muscle than nothing is to fat. However for most going over 12-14 maybe 16% at most is suicide in terms of getting in shape. I've been real fat and got in pretty good shape with exception or truly striated glutes (90 lb weight loss probably well over 20%) but it wasn't fun or easy. 10% or less is probably the best way to go.

Abs are fairly visible at 13%, most likely if you are asking this question you're higher than you seem to think.

You should not associate weight gain in the off season with progress. You should be gaining lean mass.

Measure gains by extra reps or more weight on your lifts not by what you weigh. Remember bodybuilding is about the look not the scale.

Also, what is your goal, is it to compete in a higher weight group next comp? Did you win in your current class? Lots to consider. Best of luck with your future comp. Best thing I can say is have goals, specific measurable goals, and stick to them

I probably am higher not by much I have definition but not in my abs, So I guess what you're saying is keep up what I'm doing and make progress in the gym and start cutting a few more weeks out than normal? As for my goals and wins I just did my first show and I'm am looking to compete very seriously now my last show was a small show and I won lightweight open but not the overall.

Well if you can get in shape, have tight skin and vascularity and not show stretch marks and loose muscle than nothing is to fat. However for most going over 12-14 maybe 16% at most is suicide in terms of getting in shape. I've been real fat and got in pretty good shape with exception or truly striated glutes (90 lb weight loss probably well over 20%) but it wasn't fun or easy. 10% or less is probably the best way to go.

I see, yeah I don't really care what I look like except for when I'm not onstage I just didn't know if it was one of those things where it gets harder to get rid of fat or easier. Kind of like your body is almost used to the process I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Keep making positive gains, when the muscle increase comes slower than the fat increase do some deiting for a month or so this will reset your muscles for gains when you start to eat again.

I see, yeah I don't really care what I look like except for when I'm not onstage I just didn't know if it was one of those things where it gets harder to get rid of fat or easier. Kind of like your body is almost used to the process I guess is what I'm trying to say.

One thing, the leaner you are the easier it is to see what drugs affect you, and how quickly they affect you.

And yes it's definitely harder to get rid of more fat and keep muscle. Ever see guys say they are going to do a show and pull out @ the 4-6 week mark? It's because they hit a point and either quit due to not being mentally tough, or they have a realization damn I'm 200 lbs @ 5'10"+, I have at least 15-20 to go, I'm going to be a bean pole onstage. I'm not going to be 225 ripped which I should have been since I started @ 260+.:D

Listen to red on this one. His thread is in here somewhere for that show.

Also take it from a fat boy that if your gaining fat your not gaining muscle. Fat and water make it seem like your getting bigger but it's certainly not the case. I was around 18 to 20% 286 pounds getting ready for my last show, strongest I've ever been in my life. I was like hell yeah I'm big as fuck. 20 weeks later i still wasn't in good enough shape and let me tell you even with the right cutters it was a BITCH. And I lost wayy too much muscle and strength.

Keep your focus on staying lean. Eat like you were going to get ready for a show but with a little give on the carbs. Maybe one cheat meal a week. There should be no reason for Bulking diets unless you have a freaky metabolism. Take two quotes from guys know for conditioning Milos Sarcev says he doesn't believe in an offseason for bodybuilders and George Farah if you can't see your abs during the offseason your not a bodybuilder.

Listen to red on this one. His thread is in here somewhere for that show.

Also take it from a fat boy that if your gaining fat your not gaining muscle. Fat and water make it seem like your getting bigger but it's certainly not the case. I was around 18 to 20% 286 pounds getting ready for my last show, strongest I've ever been in my life. I was like hell yeah I'm big as fuck. 20 weeks later i still wasn't in good enough shape and let me tell you even with the right cutters it was a BITCH. And I lost wayy too much muscle and strength.

Keep your focus on staying lean. Eat like you were going to get ready for a show but with a little give on the carbs. Maybe one cheat meal a week. There should be no reason for Bulking diets unless you have a freaky metabolism. Take two quotes from guys know for conditioning Milos Sarcev says he doesn't believe in an offseason for bodybuilders and George Farah if you can't see your abs during the offseason your not a bodybuilder.

Haha I like it thanks for the advice, everyone for that matter thanks a bunch!

One thing, the leaner you are the easier it is to see what drugs affect you, and how quickly they affect you.

And yes it's definitely harder to get rid of more fat and keep muscle. Ever see guys say they are going to do a show and pull out @ the 4-6 week mark? It's because they hit a point and either quit due to not being mentally tough, or they have a realization damn I'm 200 lbs @ 5'10"+, I have at least 15-20 to go, I'm going to be a bean pole onstage. I'm not going to be 225 ripped which I should have been since I started @ 260+.:D

Awesome thanks for the advice red!

Truth^

Thing that I see is people split the year into this gain/lose thing.
You should be vacillating between the two during all points of the year until you are ready to shred for a show.
Keeping within a range that allows for some good growth and gains but allows you to refine them and also go back to a fat burning phase where muscle preservation and fat loss are the goals.

In totally worth red on this one. I'll never go above 10% again. Had to have a big bulk this year to reset my shit after a terrible year's binge eating. To much carb restriction left me fucked up and left me hungry, and craving shit 24/7. I basically bulked til I was sick of eating and started cutting on a very high carb diet. I was 245 and I thought quite lean as I had visible abs, veins in back and traps and really nice full muscles. I'm now down to about 215 and there is still a little lower belly fat and back fat to go, probably about 5lb to lose. I couldn't imagine trying to get into competition condition with this kind of start. I wouldn't know how to other than diet for about 20 weeks. I've used tren, clen and t3. Up to one and half hours cardio most days, not cheated on diet once in 6 weeks except extra carbs once a week. At 8% it will start getting real tough as I've left myself nowhere to go, 8% will do though. If I'd started at 10 I could easy hit 7 with no cardio or fat burners, just tren. I have a very good metabolism but losing 35lb isn't fun and I threw evening at it just to get into single digits as I was pissed of and somewhat embarrassed with having love handles. To be honest I seem to gain most my muscle during cuts anyway as I like high dose cutting so see no need to bulk again, just very lean grow slowly. All in saying is don't put yourself through what I just did if you want to get competition lean.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

In totally worth red on this one. I'll never go above 10% again. Had to have a big bulk this year to reset my shit after a terrible year's binge eating. To much carb restriction left me fucked up and left me hungry, and craving shit 24/7. I basically bulked til I was sick of eating and started cutting on a very high carb diet. I was 245 and I thought quite lean as I had visible abs, veins in back and traps and really nice full muscles. I'm now down to about 215 and there is still a little lower belly fat and back fat to go, probably about 5lb to lose. I couldn't imagine trying to get into competition condition with this kind of start. I wouldn't know how to other than diet for about 20 weeks. I've used tren, clen and t3. Up to one and half hours cardio most days, not cheated on diet once in 6 weeks except extra carbs once a week. At 8% it will start getting real tough as I've left myself nowhere to go, 8% will do though. If I'd started at 10 I could easy hit 7 with no cardio or fat burners, just tren. I have a very good metabolism but losing 35lb isn't fun and I threw evening at it just to get into single digits as I was pissed of and somewhat embarrassed with having love handles. To be honest I seem to gain most my muscle during cuts anyway as I like high dose cutting so see no need to bulk again, just very lean grow slowly. All in saying is don't put yourself through what I just did if you want to get competition lean.

Awesome advice I appreciate it. You senior guys are making good points looks like I've got some tighten up to do!

Take any measurements before that bulk at the peak and now like waist or anything to kinda see and track something more objective?

Take any measurements before that bulk at the peak and now like waist or anything to kinda see and track something more objective?

Waist was where most the damage was done. After 5 days of cutting when bloat had dropped it was 34.5. It's now 30 and a quarter. This is first thing am empty stomach. This is measuring around the belly button. There Was a lot of visceral fat that I thought was mostly bloat and food baby. This caught me out as my first 15lb was just stomach shrinking but no noticeable leaning up anywhere on the out side which was annoying. I'd forgotten how flat my stomach can go:)

Last edited:
I grew up fat so the idea of looking like a bodybuilder for more than a contest is something I value. I haven't had a ton of success previously but it's my new goal. Some people just do this to get on stage and that's fine, but it's a lifestyle and if you can't even tell yourself from a linebacker for 9 months out of the year, what's the point?

Like I said I haven't actually managed to maintain a level I am happy with for extended periods yet, but i'm learning that it is something I want to achieve, at least for a few years.

I grew up fat so the idea of looking like a bodybuilder for more than a contest is something I value. I haven't had a ton of success previously but it's my new goal. Some people just do this to get on stage and that's fine, but it's a lifestyle and if you can't even tell yourself from a linebacker for 9 months out of the year, what's the point?

Like I said I haven't actually managed to maintain a level I am happy with for extended periods yet, but i'm learning that it is something I want to achieve, at least for a few years.

Exactly my goal

I should also add that I don't hold my fat evenly at all, it all piles to my waist and ass so gaining extra weight instantly just slaughters my taper and shape. I have a small waist under all the flab but it balloons out quickly in the lower back and I hate it. If I held fat evenly like some people do I would probably not care as much...but those trouble areas stay till the very end

I should also add that I don't hold my fat evenly at all, it all piles to my waist and ass so gaining extra weight instantly just slaughters my taper and shape. I have a small waist under all the flab but it balloons out quickly in the lower back and I hate it. If I held fat evenly like some people do I would probably not care as much...but those trouble areas stay till the very end

My problem exactly. I can't lose veins and cuts in arms and taps and back and upper abbs always visible but I just look pregnant with love handles. Limits my options on bulking up. Im all visceral fat and love handles. When I diet the visceral fst5 skates the first to go though.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
reachbusinessdirectdubai@