over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Honestly, there is a secret to growth

would adding more weight than you normally do and having your partner assist on the concentric work just as well?

When you lift a weight, an electric impulse is sent from your brain to the muscle fiber. When a spotter steps in, another impulse is sent from the brain instructing that muscle group to disconnect from the neural process. It can be a case of one fiber disconnecting or thousands.

1) just how "much" does the partner push? I think that would be a somewhat tricky part so u don't drive the weight down?

2) What about bent over rows? Is a machine ok to use then?

3) u know the program I'm on right now... Can I use this? I train with my wife 3-4 out of the 5 days I train

Yes, machines are fantastic, expecialy for back. Go to Delczeg Training System to see how you wife can help you with back negativ trainig, is one demonstration, you can incorporate the system to any body parts.

Do you do this for every exercise and every rep? I'm wondering how it works practically for something like dumbell presses-seems a bit risky that the angle could be wrong and damage a rotator cuff

Yes you can, by trining like this you don`t need to do to many sets.

Thanks....

Yes, machines are fantastic, expecialy for back. Go to Delczeg Training System to see how you wife can help you with back negativ trainig, is one demonstration, you can incorporate the system to any body parts.

Just checked it out, thanks. Looks like the person has to apply only a small to moderate amount of pressure (a bit subjective I realize). thanks

I guess when you think about it, when training the traditional way using regular positive and negative reps and with the negative half of the rep being performed about twice as slow as the positive, your actually taking stress off the muscles and giving them a rest.

It's said that you can lower on average 40% more weight than you can lift so how is a weight that is 40% too light going to challenge your negative strength on the way down?

Just checked it out, thanks. Looks like the person has to apply only a small to moderate amount of pressure (a bit subjective I realize). thanks

Is not pressure, the person adding a 35 lbs plate on the negativ part.

YES

When I first started training with Phil, I looked at his workout... "Hmmmm?" I thought. Then I tried it... Ah! I had to brush off some dust off of the Kinesiology portion of my brain... motor unit recruitment.

Simplified version
1) Say you have 100 muscle fibers.
2) 10 motor units (basically nerves) attach to those 100 fibers. 1 motor unit equals 10 muscle fibers that it activates (flexes, contracts)

Here's the thing... you never really activate ALL motor units, meaning, as much as you are contracting/lifting, you are not activating all your muscle fibers.

The goal- activate as many motor units as possible, to activate as many muscle fibers as possible.

As I think through this method, it makes sense to me now why the weights might be easier on the concentric and why it causes growth...
1) By pushing down on the eccentric you are activating more motor units.
2) Then, on the concentric, you now have more muscle fibers "activated" or "recruited" to contract during the movement.

EXAXCTLY........see, you did not need me!:(

Its not

I guess when you think about it, when training the traditional way using regular positive and negative reps and with the negative half of the rep being performed about twice as slow as the positive, your actually taking stress off the muscles and giving them a rest.

It's said that you can lower on average 40% more weight than you can lift so how is a weight that is 40% too light going to challenge your negative strength on the way down?

And slowing down a movement that is not challenging is not the answer....you must add MORE resistance, not more TUT....the Tension is just not enough.

You never go down with lighter weight.

sorry, clarification..

Is not pressure, the person adding a 35 lbs plate on the negativ part.

Oh yes, I got that part, I wasn't clear with my interpretation, sorry... I meant that say I did the same movement but without an added weight buy my wife pushing (she'll have to do that for the squats, etc.) it would be small to moderate.

Maybe this is part of the reason I was finally able to get my biceps to grow again. Thought I don't have a spotter to help, I use a bit of body English to get the straight bar up and then let it down controlled. Hence I am using more than I could otherwise on the concentric.
By 'cheating' I've gone up to 185 from 135 on my working set and my arms show the difference.
Please keep in mind this is a controlled cheat - not some sloppy spastic fit like you often see in the gym... :D

Maybe this is part of the reason I was finally able to get my biceps to grow again. Thought I don't have a spotter to help, I use a bit of body English to get the straight bar up and then let it down controlled. Hence I am using more than I could otherwise on the concentric.
By 'cheating' I've gone up to 185 from 135 on my working set and my arms show the difference.
Please keep in mind this is a controlled cheat - not some sloppy spastic fit like you often see in the gym... :D

Same thing for me when I started cheating with my legs during standing military press. The slow negative with weight that was to heavy to lift without some leg assistance really developed my delts(especially rear delts).

Exactly

When I see these new guys so anal about form I just shake my head.........experience ,I would not trade it for anything, hahahahhaha

Chains?

What about the question regarding chain usage on the previous page? That sounds logical to me but I am no expert.

Phil, what do you think about adding chains if you don't have a training partner?

I'm no Phil but I'll chime in . . . correct
me if I'm wrong.

Chains are a sort of variable resistance,
but offer identical resistance in both the
eccentric and concentric part of the movement,
that is the ground stays in the same place. . .

What about the big rubber bands? I see a couple guys using these with bench? I guess it would probably be about the same but really have no knowledge or experience in using either chains or bands.

What about the big rubber bands? I see a couple guys using these with bench? I guess it would probably be about the same but really have no knowledge or experience in using either chains or bands.

Rubber bands are concentric and eccentric. No advantage.

Chains.....

Chains raise the resistance as you reach full concentric contraction ......it lowers the resistance the second you start the eccentric contraction.

Nice! I need more ideas like this, since I have no training partner. :(

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
theswede