over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are You a HEALTHY Bodybuilder?

myosin

Kilo Klub Member
The past few weeks there has been a lot of discussion on various health related issues like heart-attacks, health in general, etc. It got me to start wondering how "healthy" some of us here are. I know I pretty much fooled myself that I was a fairly healthy bodybuilder when I would only drink protein drinks, take a multi-vitamin and EVOO, but in reality, I was missing out on a lot of supplements and foods and micro-nutrients for a healthier "inside".

Here's the thing about health.... when it finally goes, it's b/c of months to years of abuse/neglect. Plaque deposits don't happen overnight... arthritis doesn't "just happen"... these and other health problems are usually the resultant accumulation of poor diet, nutrients, and supplementation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything about training hard or using "super supplements"... I'm all for going hardcore in the weights and REASONABLE (somewhat relative term I know) and INTELLIGENT use of any other ancillaries. But with those- a healthy diet and proper supplementation will take you a long way into a healthier older life. What you do in your 20's can/will affect your 30's... your 30's into your 40's, etc. All of us are going to die, plain and simple... BUT- I want to die "healthy" and not stuck in a wheelchair, etc.

B/c of all that mentioned above is why I wanted to share some of the things I take and do now that aren't just "bodybuilding" related/specific (creatine, etc.) but also geared toward, well, health. I suppose that's the "mother-hen" Nurse side of me :).

As mentioned several times in past threads, I TRY to always go for "the most bang for my buck". There are plenty of "good" foods and supplements one can take, BUT, I try to ask what supplements (and foods) are really going to deliver the MOST benefits (and have science behind them). I also try to frame this question against the two key factors/culprits/common denominators in disease and aging that I've pointed out before... free radicals and inflammation.

This list is pretty much only for longevity/health and does not include compounds/supp's for BB (although some do "cross-over")...

1) Grean tea: 2 packs, one to two times a day- for free radicals

2) Trader Joe's "Green" powdered drink: once a day (keeps body alkaline)

3) ALA: 900-1200 mg, per day- EXCELLENT anti-oxidant that is BOTH lipid and water soluble (most AO's are "specific" in that they are either water OR lipid soluble- this crosses both). Also great for blood sugar regulation.

4) DHEA- 25mg, BID to maintain the "back-pathway" (ala John Crisler) of hormone synthesis, particularly if on super supplements.

5) Vitamin D3: 8000iu- raise HDL levels and healthy colon

6) NOW multivitamin

7) Fish oil: 10 grams/day- mostly for inflammation

8) Niacin: 1 gram, REGULAR niacin- raise HDL levels (note- non-flush DOES NOT raise HDL levels and is hepatotoxic)

9) Synthergine- 1.5 mL's BID. 'nuff said.

10) B6: 300mg in the AM- lowers homocysteine levels which higher levels have been significantly correlated with heart disease (note- there is some disagreement if lowering homocysteine levels via B6 supplementation decreases heart disease... but it's very cheap, so why not? :))

11) Baby aspirin: to thin the blood by decreasing platelet aggregation.

12) Ubiquinol: 100-200mg/day... support cardiac function (highly suggested for those over 40 and/or those on super supp's). I'm not entirely convinced that ubiquinol is all that superior to "regular" CoQ10. C10 becomes much more bio-available when taken with fat. But, for a few dollars more, I'll go with the ubiquinol for awhile.

What I COULD take, but don't: supp's for prostrate health... only b/c I take aromasin and so many other anti-inflammatories. The thought now for prostrate hypertrophy/plasia/cancer is that it's the estrogen and inflammation that is the cause of it's problems. I may eventually throw in some kind of prostrate "formula" later (SPB, pumpkin seed, etc.).

Foods-
1) I pretty much use only coconut oil for all my cooking or to fulfill my macro needs with my LBA's. Look this stuff up... it's AMAZING. In short- a saturated fat that will lower cholesterol. I'm not doing it justice here.

2) Mentioned in a previous post- the only carbs I get now are from fruits, and from those, pretty much only pineapple (great for inflammation) and blueberries and prunes (two of the highest in anti-oxidants).

3) 1 TBSP cocoa powder (dark or regular, no sugar) to my LBA's or coffee one to two times a day... vasodilator (increases NO), POTENT anti-oxidants (better than green tea actually), helps lower LDL levels

4) 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon powder to my LBA's or coffee one to two times a day- regulates blood sugar, raises HDL levels.

Lifestyle-
1) Here is what may seem like a funny one at first... Brush and floss twice a day- sounds silly right?... here's the thing- I bet most here only brush their teeth in the morning and rarely twice a day (particularly the guys- unless going out to some event/date/etc). It's like this though- diseased/unhealthy gums are significantly correlated with heart disease... it's the inflammation relationship.

2) Sleep... I wish I could say I get 7-8 hours sleep a night... but I SO suck at this one. Besides our usual concern about sleep and muscle recuperation, proper sleep really is one of the best things you can do for mental and physiologic health.

I mentioned before I really "kicked up" my dedication and seriousness about getting lean since January, but also for my health. I have to say, besides looking and feeling better... I even look several years younger!

Last edited:
great post.

I get most of my carbs now from bananas and pineapple.

whats your thoughts about Coenzyme Q10 ?

how old are you and how would your supplementation change with age?

Just my take on things..

I think we are in the pill popping era.. Everyone believes in popping multiple pills a day for quality health.. Im not against supplements at all, but i think a more well balance diet and you don't have to worry about slamming down so many pills.. Plus, i trust mother nature to provide me with essential nutrients better than a bunch of manufactured pills..

I think alot of people overdo it with the fish oil pills. A couple of pills a day is fine.. I think eating salmon two or more times a week or another fatty fish, does the body better than injesting a bunch of fish oil pills. Also, be certain of your fish oil pill source.. Make sure it comes from wild fish and is not exposed to heat and over processing. If you stick with grass fed meats and dairy, then you will get a more natural balance of polyunsaturated fats Omega3 to Omega6 and wouldn't have to rely on fish oil pills for your Omega 3 source.

I think fruits are important, but i do believe there is a limit to how much fructose you should injest.. A good friend advised me about glut 5 transporters and fructose. Include them, but cap around 20g of fructose per day..

Two overlooked nutrients that i feel play an important role in one's diet are lacto fermented vegetables and broths..

"The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anticarcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine."

"Broth or stock contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—not just calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage, bones and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain. Gelatin was found to be useful in the treatment of a long list of diseases including peptic ulcers, tuberculosis, diabetes, muscle diseases, infectious diseases, jaundice and cancer. Babies had fewer digestive problems when gelatin was added to their milk. The American researcher Francis Pottenger pointed out that as gelatin is a hydrophilic colloid, which means that it attracts and holds liquids, it facilitates digestion by attracting digestive juices to food in the gut."

Broth is Beautiful

Broths and lacto fermented vegetables are great nightime/before bed snacks.

Agreed!

Just my take on things..

I think we are in the pill popping era.. Everyone believes in popping multiple pills a day for quality health.. Im not against supplements at all, but i think a more well balance diet and you don't have to worry about slamming down so many pills.. Plus, i trust mother nature to provide me with essential nutrients better than a bunch of manufactured pills..

I think alot of people overdo it with the fish oil pills. A couple of pills a day is fine.. I think eating salmon two or more times a week or another fatty fish, does the body better than injesting a bunch of fish oil pills. Also, be certain of your fish oil pill source.. Make sure it comes from wild fish and is not exposed to heat and over processing. If you stick with grass fed meats and dairy, then you will get a more natural balance of polyunsaturated fats Omega3 to Omega6 and wouldn't have to rely on fish oil pills for your Omega 3 source.

I think fruits are important, but i do believe there is a limit to how much fructose you should injest.. A good friend advised me about glut 5 transporters and fructose. Include them, but cap around 20g of fructose per day..

Two overlooked nutrients that i feel play an important role in one's diet are lacto fermented vegetables and broths..

"The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anticarcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine."

"Broth or stock contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—not just calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage, bones and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain. Gelatin was found to be useful in the treatment of a long list of diseases including peptic ulcers, tuberculosis, diabetes, muscle diseases, infectious diseases, jaundice and cancer. Babies had fewer digestive problems when gelatin was added to their milk. The American researcher Francis Pottenger pointed out that as gelatin is a hydrophilic colloid, which means that it attracts and holds liquids, it facilitates digestion by attracting digestive juices to food in the gut."

Broth is Beautiful

Hey BG- believe, I totally hear and agree friend, thanks for the input... I was trying to find a way to limit my original post a bit to be respectful of people's time but to also convey my general philosophy. I don't mind clarifying here...

1) "Pill-poppers"- TOTALLY, we find a pill for every ill. I THINK it was Thomas Jefferson or Socrates who said that "tomorrows" Doctor would use food as their drug of choice. Asthma, arthritis, etc are VERY diet related and can be treated with diet ALOT. As you know though, today's produce isn't the same as far as nutrients. Also, today's fast paced lifestyle (largely self-induced, it's our choice how much we want to join the rat race) brings so much more stress to the body that the need for anti-oxidants is increased.

2) Supp's- I'm fortunate enough to have a pro for my trainer and these are largely what he suggested.

3) Fish oil- I agree about the salmon... I just don't like fish! haha

4) Omega 3/6 and beef: agree- again, I was trying to find a way to get to the point of my "message". I eat GFB on a regular basis.

5) Fruits- I used to think the same way! I never ate fruits before. I only ate kidney beans for CHO's or a fast acting sugar after my workout. But my trainer put me on carb's only from fruit or vege's (hence my "green drink"- I don't like vege's!). At most, I take in 100 grams of carb's per day (not including LBA's) from fruit... but I am ALOT LESS bloated!

6) Foods in general- besides the GFB I too take in a cup of raw milk everyday, whole eggs EOD. I noticed your MD1 banner at the bottom- I am completely on board with his philosophy and was very impressed encouraged by his blood panel based soley on food!... BUT, here is where genetics can come in. I have ALWAYS had a tough time with my HDL (how significant it is related to CHD can be discussed elsewhere). So, that's why I take extra measure with the niacin and VitD.

ALA- here too: genetics/body type... I've ALWAYS been "chubby/husky" from being a kid to adult. I was able to get lean enough to compete twice, but I lost a lot of muscle (granted that was YEARS ago and my training and diet could have been better too). But, even I am VERY strict, it's so hard to get my waist and abdominal fat down. If I had to classify myself, I would say I quite possibly had "Metabolic X" syndrome Metabolic syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (although I never looked like the guy in that picture! hahaha)

Thanks again!

Oh, One More Thing....

I will say this- this is seriously one reason I want to move to the Philippines where my wife is from... many Asian countries are becoming very "westernized" in their diet, BUT, if you look at those who still live in the "country" or mountainside area's, they are in GREAT shape!

EVERY one of their foods is organic- chicken, eggs, milk (sometimes store bought), pork, goats, vege's, fruits, ocean fresh fish, etc.... AND the added key element- active lifestyles. They don't have desk jobs. If they don't work, they still end up walking almost everywhere they need to go. It's not uncommon at all to find people in their 80's still walking around quite well with great skin (if they kept their face hidden from the sun).

Nice

Great post my man........I never knew about flush free being liver toxic in some.......it is not in MY case.........my ALT and AST are @ 20 and 30.......my HDL is 32.......from flush free....

Another thing

I am sure other trainers feel the same way........I have a MORAL obligation to keep my clients healthy....I remember that my clients have parents, ahhahhahaha.........I would want my child in the hands of a trainer who cared about her/his health SOMEWHAT...........years down the road it MATTERS......no matter what the client cries about now........health is numero uno.......if its not, then I refuse to help.........I just cant.

OOPss

Hey BG- believe, I totally hear and agree friend, thanks for the input... I was trying to find a way to limit my original post a bit to be respectful of people's time but to also convey my general philosophy. I don't mind clarifying here...

1) "Pill-poppers"- TOTALLY, we find a pill for every ill. I THINK it was Thomas Jefferson or Socrates who said that "tomorrows" Doctor would use food as their drug of choice. Asthma, arthritis, etc are VERY diet related and can be treated with diet ALOT. As you know though, today's produce isn't the same as far as nutrients. Also, today's fast paced lifestyle (largely self-induced, it's our choice how much we want to join the rat race) brings so much more stress to the body that the need for anti-oxidants is increased.

2) Supp's- I'm fortunate enough to have a pro for my trainer and these are largely what he suggested.

3) Fish oil- I agree about the salmon... I just don't like fish! haha

4) Omega 3/6 and beef: agree- again, I was trying to find a way to get to the point of my "message". I eat GFB on a regular basis.

5) Fruits- I used to think the same way! I never ate fruits before. I only ate kidney beans for CHO's or a fast acting sugar after my workout. But my trainer put me on carb's only from fruit or vege's (hence my "green drink"- I don't like vege's!). At most, I take in 100 grams of carb's per day (not including LBA's) from fruit... but I am ALOT LESS bloated!

6) Foods in general- besides the GFB I too take in a cup of raw milk everyday, whole eggs EOD. I noticed your MD1 banner at the bottom- I am completely on board with his philosophy and was very impressed encouraged by his blood panel based soley on food!... BUT, here is where genetics can come in. I have ALWAYS had a tough time with my HDL (how significant it is related to CHD can be discussed elsewhere). So, that's why I take extra measure with the niacin and VitD.

ALA- here too: genetics/body type... I've ALWAYS been "chubby/husky" from being a kid to adult. I was able to get lean enough to compete twice, but I lost a lot of muscle (granted that was YEARS ago and my training and diet could have been better too). But, even I am VERY strict, it's so hard to get my waist and abdominal fat down. If I had to classify myself, I would say I quite possibly had "Metabolic X" syndrome Metabolic syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (although I never looked like the guy in that picture! hahaha)

Thanks again!

So much to learn...........so much to teach........thats why my training takes over 1 year to grasp it all.........the poster was correct, try adding KIM -CHI to your daily diet..........brocco sprouts alsol........

Well

Just my take on things..

Broth is Beautiful

Yet another reason LBAs are so beneficial.........Trueproteins broth is also a daily staple of mine...........good stuff man.

So much to learn...........so much to teach........thats why my training takes over 1 year to grasp it all.........the poster was correct, try adding KIM -CHI to your daily diet..........brocco sprouts alsol........

Never tried it but fermented foods just make my stomach turn.. How is this stuff??

I like these kind of threads... keep up the good posts guys.

I love it..........try it and have Carissa use it also........great snack with literally no calories........to speak of

She has no problem eating extra food believe me... Ill either have to find it or learn how to make it!!

YES!

I am SO glad you mentioned this Phil... just a couple weeks ago I was going to start kim-chi in my diet again (lots of benefits!) and totally forgot! I actually like kim-chi! Will buy some today!

I am SO glad you mentioned this Phil... just a couple weeks ago I was going to start kim-chi in my diet again (lots of benefits!) and totally forgot! I actually like kim-chi! Will buy some today!

Where do you get it??

Asian

Where do you get it??

You can find for sure at any Korean food store. Chinese/filipino/japanese food stores, maybe not. Otherwise a "generic asian" store should have it too.

I think there are different levels of "spice" if I'm remembering right, so if you don't like one you might be able to mix it up. It's basically fermented cabbage.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear