over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Arterial Damage From Long term Lifting

buck

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just wondering what peoples opinions are about the damage that may be accrued to arteries from long term lifting, as in several decades. I have seen numerous studies showing peak blood pressures of 360/240 or more from heavy lifts. Even a single arm curl can achieve 240/190.

I recall popping blood vessels in my eyes deadlifting 450-500lbs at a competition when I was 18 and thinking it was cool. Pretty sure this creates mild issues with my vision over the year. Other than that a lot of us here have been lifting for 30-40-50 years with no issues.

It is in fact an effect of resistance training with moderate and heavy loads to decrease arterial compliance (increase arterial stiffness). This is correlated with increased systolic arterial pressure during training, but the precise mechanisms that contribute are unknown.

This is why I think that as we age it becomes important to do some aerobic endurance exercise, as training of this sort has opposite effects on arterial compliance/stiffness. Aerobic endurance exercise is very unlikely to reverse or ameliorate cardiac and endothelial cell maladaptations induced by anabolic-androgenic steroids. Rather, it likely reverses or attenuates some of the resistance training-induced arterial maladaptations.

I know that there is something to capillary calcification...as I've aged (now 63) I have noted that I do not get a pump except a bit in my arms...

I know that there is something to capillary calcification...as I've aged (now 63) I have noted that I do not get a pump except a bit in my arms...
That is what i was thinking. Been lifting 40 years. My blood work, BP, Cholesterol, A1c, diet etc. have always been very good. And have done aerobics fairly regularity for most all my life. Yet my BP went up some in the last year so checked into things and my arteries are calcifying at a faster rate.

Just wondering what peoples opinions are about the damage that may be accrued to arteries from long term lifting, as in several decades. I have seen numerous studies showing peak blood pressures of 360/240 or more from heavy lifts. Even a single arm curl can achieve 240/190.
Chronic not acute hypertension is the killer. Lifting is more healthy for you than bad for you.

Granted, subchronic hypertension above 160/100 mmhg does increase your acute risk of heart attack and stroke.

If you want to be healthy 1. Do cardio 2. Be lean 3. Control your BP. 4. dont abuse drugs. That is 90% of the battle, the rest is genetics.

Chronic not acute hypertension is the killer. Lifting is more healthy for you than bad for you.

Granted, subchronic hypertension above 160/100 mmhg does increase your acute risk of heart attack and stroke.

If you want to be healthy 1. Do cardio 2. Be lean 3. Control your BP. 4. dont abuse drugs. That is 90% of the battle, the rest is genetics.
As i wrote BP is fine. Average in the mornings 106-63 for many years. Till just recently. Been doing cardio, hiking, mountain climbing, biking since i was a teen-ager. Highest total cholesterol was 155 with LDL of 95 usually lower(142/80). Highest trig level ever was 50 etc. Dir.'s have told me for decades i am not overweight. Even though my BMI is high. I put on 40lbs of muscle before touching any AS. And my parents, grandparents aunts/uncles have lived longer then the average for their time. As you pointed out lifting can have it's down sides so that i what i am exploring.

As i wrote BP is fine. Average in the mornings 106-63 for many years. Till just recently. Been doing cardio, hiking, mountain climbing, biking since i was a teen-ager. Highest total cholesterol was 155 with LDL of 95 usually lower(142/80). Highest trig level ever was 50 etc. Dir.'s have told me for decades i am not overweight. Even though my BMI is high. I put on 40lbs of muscle before touching any AS. And my parents, grandparents aunts/uncles have lived longer then the average for their time. But as you pointed out there are bad things about lifting so that is what i am exploring.

👍🏿^^^^

I have found a couple studies that point as long term heavy lifting to cause damage but they are not that great of a study. But have found no long term evidence that it causes no issues. Petty much something that would be tough to study and few that it would really apply to.

I have found a couple studies that point as long term heavy lifting to cause damage but they are not that great of a study. But have found no long term evidence that it causes no issues. Petty much something that would be tough to study and few that it would really apply to.
Crap another reason I should be dead. I'm part Sicilian. Does that offset that part of white privelage?

Crap another reason I should be dead. I'm part Sicilian. Does that offset that part of white privelage?
I think it is a 20% reduction in risk. Unless you move heavy things for a living.

We aren't that fucking delicate. Some studies just should not be funded. These people are shills.

One could have an aortic aneurysm and be completely unaware of their condition which could turn out to be catastrophic if it's never detected!

I think it is a 20% reduction in risk. Unless you move heavy things for a living.

Yeah, it's like chronic stress versus temporary stress (exercise). One is detrimental and the other is beneficial. Working out your heart or muscles with cardio or weight is a temporary stress that causes a "hormetic" response. The body gets stronger/more efficient, but constant/chronic stress like lifting in a job might do the opposite.

Yeah, it's like chronic stress versus temporary stress (exercise). One is detrimental and the other is beneficial. Working out your heart or muscles with cardio or weight is a temporary stress that causes a "hormetic" response. The body gets stronger/more efficient, but constant/chronic stress like lifting in a job might do the opposite.
The 2 studies posted show something different. Do you have any facts to show extremely high intermittent BP has no downside?

The 2 studies posted show something different. Do you have any facts to show extremely high intermittent BP has no downside?
I said it above, subchronic/intermittent very high BP = higher acute risk of stroke/heart attack, but not talking about very very short term hypertension from lifting heavy. There are three 1. Acute 2. Intermittent 3. Chronic. When squatting or lifting heavy, it's acute.

Example #1: Guy takes 2 gram tren, his BP is 180/100 mmhg during the cycle, his risk of stroke is significantly higher on cycle. Example #2: Healthy, natural male is doing 315 lbs squats, his BP is 180/100 during the squat , his risk of stroke/heart attack is not significantly elevated. At rest, his BP is 120/70 mmhg.

I said it above, subchronic/intermittent very high BP = higher acute risk of stroke/heart attack, but not talking about very very short term hypertension from lifting heavy. There are three 1. Acute 2. Intermittent 3. Chronic. When squatting or lifting heavy, it's acute.

Example #1: Guy takes 2 gram tren, his BP is 180/100 mmhg during the cycle, his risk of stroke is significantly higher on cycle. Example #2: Healthy, natural male is doing 315 lbs squats, his BP is 180/100 during the squat , his risk of stroke/heart attack is not significantly elevated. At rest, his BP is 120/70 mmhg.
Thanks. But the post was about intermittent high blood pressure directly from lifting. All the other things have been written about in numerous posts over decades. I was just enquiriing about that one aspect.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear