over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Breathing at night

I know how you feel I have been going thru the same thing recently. I'm 55 open heart surgery 10yrs ago to fix Mitral Valve Prolapse and doctor cut artery and I bled out on table only to wake up a week later with 40 in of scars. When I went in my EF was 58 when I woke up it was 19. It has been between 19 and 25 the last 10 years and over last couple months I started waking up and can't get my breath. Just had a new Echo done and my EF has fallen to 15 and doctor put me on Entresto which has definitely helped with shortness of breath and doctor wants me on this for 3 months before he will pull another Echo to see if it has improved.
Don't put this off go in to see your doctor sooner rather than later cause if you are like me your aware of every change your body has and I knew something was wrong but was shocked to see my ejection fraction drop so low. It could be just sleep apnea but it could be worse get it checked out as soon as you can.

Sleep apnea is the main reason I stopped going after size. Hell, I barely scratched the surface of being somewhat big and already had it pretty bad.

Now that I’m cutting, it seems to be a thing of the past. I’m wondering if you guys are having less sleep apnea troubles while being decently lean? Mainly to the larger guys like @TheOtherOne55

I know how you feel I have been going thru the same thing recently. I'm 55 open heart surgery 10yrs ago to fix Mitral Valve Prolapse and doctor cut artery and I bled out on table only to wake up a week later with 40 in of scars. When I went in my EF was 58 when I woke up it was 19. It has been between 19 and 25 the last 10 years and over last couple months I started waking up and can't get my breath. Just had a new Echo done and my EF has fallen to 15 and doctor put me on Entresto which has definitely helped with shortness of breath and doctor wants me on this for 3 months before he will pull another Echo to see if it has improved.
Don't put this off go in to see your doctor sooner rather than later cause if you are like me your aware of every change your body has and I knew something was wrong but was shocked to see my ejection fraction drop so low. It could be just sleep apnea but it could be worse get it checked out as soon as you can.
That's a hell of a surgical complication, glad you made it though. I can't believe how low some of these EF's are you guys have.

Sleep apnea is the main reason I stopped going after size. Hell, I barely scratched the surface of being somewhat big and already had it pretty bad.

Now that I’m cutting, it seems to be a thing of the past. I’m wondering if you guys are having less sleep apnea troubles while being decently lean? Mainly to the larger guys like @TheOtherOne55
At 270 I definitely had tremendous sleep apnea and would often wake up choking after vomiting stomach acid into my throat and swallowing it in my sleep

Hey guys, like to get a couple of opinions or your experiences.
Almost every night I wake up gasping for air. I have long history of family heart disease. Had bi pass surgery 15 years ago. Never had trouble breathing back then. I don't smoke, on HRT 250 mg test e EW. (I'm on pause for that) I'm older, over 60 but, been working out hardcore my whole life. Had to take a break because of ruptured Quad tendon 7 weeks ago. So my cardiologist said I was exhibiting signs of congestive hear failure. Holding a lot of fluid in my torso. Always had a thick barrel chest body. So put me on a ton of Lasix. Did Nuclear test decided one of my old bi passes was clogging again, so put in stent. I was told by the team of docs that all my other arteries look great. Felt good for a while but now trouble sleeping and breathing at night is back. Can't do cardio yet but soon. People keep saying classic COPD. I never smoked, lifting and cardio for 40 years. I'm going back to see cardiologist Monday.
Couple other details. I'm coughing up some flehm that is very white and thick. Not getting good sleep is killing me!
Also don't know how good it is to be on 80mg of Lasix daily either.
Thanks for reading this,
Old time brother in iron.
GB

^^^brother i remember you from prob decades ago now ..you were MOD over @EF waaay back

i'm sure you & the DR will figure this out, but does sound like there's more to it
(..where'd all this water come from? ..didn't you notice? ..any renal issues? ..any BP issues? ..are you on BP meds?)

..if your DR put you on 80migs of LASIX ..it's bc it's necessary

..yes LASIX can carry it's own hazards/side effects (..with electrolyte irregularities being most well known)
& yes, 80mg is a big dose (..considering that it's dosed as low as 20mg)

..but DRs only tend to use that big dose when you'r holding A LOT of water & they want it off of you fast bc it could cause you complications
(..esp given what you'v told us about your "heart history")
..considering that your DR saw using that much LASIX as the "lesser of 2 evils" suggests that you really need it & that it could have caused a lot more than just breathing issues

..you'll probably start breathing (..at least a little) better soon, as that water continues to come off

^^^no saying "the water" is the cause ..but prob a strong contributor potentiating your breathing difficulties

..go easy ..don't think too much ..& get well

Sounds like either paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea or sleep apnea.

Definitely something to further look into.

When I could get down to the low 220s I didn't need my CPAP, but I can't get that low anymore without dropping muscle. Currently 233lbs. and 6-7% but still need my CPAP.

I decided not to take Entresto because of the theoretical risk of getting Alzheimers down the road and also macular degeneration. Not sure if you know about that. The FDA let them release the drug before the study was even done. If it is helping you, I guess I would continue it. My doctor has been trying to get me on if for years. Im going to guess that you too have a defibrillator like me? im on my 2nd one now after the 1st battery ran out. i will probably get a new on in a few months because I need a biventricular now.

Could be numerous things it’s good you are under medical care. But waking up at night gasping for air is classic sleep apnea. I am not a doctor it’s just a thought.

i’m not trying to be cute here but how does somebody die from sleep apnea? When you can’t breathe / stop breathing —wouldn’t that wake you up that’s causing you to breathe? Just curious. Scary crap.
It causes low o2 in the system: lungs, tissues, brain, heart etc. This causes hypoxia to the systems and cells, which isn’t good. But also causes the heart and systems to work harder. That’s why most with sleep apnea end up with high Bp etc

Brother I am with you on the Alzheimers and have a few close friends whose spouse has that disease and I don't wish that on anyone. That's as cruel as it gets. Told my girl to put me down, don't want to go thru that. They (doctors) gave me 5 yrs to live 10 years ago and waited 7 to get the ICD pacer included and right now not sure how long it can stay like this because at 15 even though i'm in good shape, I can barely pedal on recumbent bike but it has def improved with the Entresto but I am only up to 1 pill twice a day of the lowest dose. I have read your story several times and I can empathize with you. I have anti phospholipid syndrome that caused the valve problem but I'm not saying I never cycled or did rec drugs but my dr said overall it looked good before the surgery although EF had dropped to 58.

Went to my Cardiologist couple days ago. Changed a few of my meds. Still taking Lasix. Had Echo done, EKG, BP etc. Going back in a week to review everything. My BP is much better already. Water coming off. Drop down to 40 Lasix. Big problem is I tore my Quad tendon, have not done a min of cardio in 8 weeks. Hopefully starting next week. See what he says. I stopped HRT for now but have to go back to low does soon.

Same for me! Even 10-12 lbs makes a difference for me. I'm currently 225 and cutting down for a beach vacation coming up in a little over 5 weeks. I started at 236. At that weight, my wife said I was snoring like a freight train and she had to go sleep in the spare room. Now that I'm down to 225 she said I'm hardly snoring ay all. I'm not saying I don't have a touch of sleep apnea cuz I probably do...but losing 12-15 lbs and doing consistent cardio definitely makes a difference for me. I need to get down to 215 or 220 and just keep my ass there year-round!!

I've been mindful of apnea, especially as I approached my later 40s. My wife would worry about me seeming to stop breathing at night.

Nowadays I keep my eye on the SpO2 readings on my Fitbit. I know it's not super accurate but it's better than nothing. I have very few low O2 episodes fortunately.

@graybass - I hope you get sorted soon. Stay safe.

Same for me! Even 10-12 lbs makes a difference for me. I'm currently 225 and cutting down for a beach vacation coming up in a little over 5 weeks. I started at 236. At that weight, my wife said I was snoring like a freight train and she had to go sleep in the spare room. Now that I'm down to 225 she said I'm hardly snoring ay all. I'm not saying I don't have a touch of sleep apnea cuz I probably do...but losing 12-15 lbs and doing consistent cardio definitely makes a difference for me. I need to get down to 215 or 220 and just keep my ass there year-round!!
That’s my plan too, to stay lighter and Make rather small gains but feel great and look great. Although I like the filled out feeling and look, I hated the apnea and the tiredness that comes with it.

is there any way to do this safely without a dr. If I know I have it can I get on Amazon and find a good one? Which would you prefer? Thanks guys for your input and I know this isn't ideal but I don't have the extra money on studies and shit. I think I have to pay 400 for mine.

is there any way to do this safely without a dr. If I know I have it can I get on Amazon and find a good one? Which would you prefer? Thanks guys for your input and I know this isn't ideal but I don't have the extra money on studies and shit. I think I have to pay 400 for mine.
Get a cpap? Hell ya you can. Go on Craigslist and find a newer model that has self learning and it does it all for you. You can find YouTube videos to easily set them up. I see them for as low as 2-300 dollars on Craigslist

Just found these by me

Attachments

• 1B109954-081C-48F9-81B7-177D129DF7CF.png
    1B109954-081C-48F9-81B7-177D129DF7CF.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 9F482A20-2AFF-4E5E-A7BC-CEB7BED7A412.png
    9F482A20-2AFF-4E5E-A7BC-CEB7BED7A412.png
    263.2 KB · Views: 12
Probably going to have get sleep study done. I just don't see myself sleeping with the CPAP on.

I thought that as well 10+ years ago before I got my CPAP and with using a nasal pillow "mask" it was a non issue.

I would HIGHLY recommend it. I feel that it has/will def take stress off the heart long term. My hematocrit also runs lower now because my body is not overcompensating producing oxygen during the day.

I had mine tested at 235 lbs and 275+ and both times my apneas were 60+ an hour. :oops::oops:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear