over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cedric McMillian ..Smirh Machine ?

gsxr1000rp

Registered
Seem every chest work out he's using the smith machine ?
Is it better .Thoughts..

I use it like I use everything else, in cycles. I'll use it for like a month then switch it up.

The gym is busy when I go in the evening so if I can get a smith on chest day ill bang out 4 sets incline, drop it to flat and do 3-4 sets, then the pressing part of my chest routine is done. I'll usually do a drop on the last set of incline...

It goes quick bc i wont rest long... Its good but I would not get stuck doing it all the time.

Might be better for him but not better for you
all depends on your goals

Progressive Overload is what matters. The bench press builds more OVERALL size because its a compound movement and requires stabalizer muscles.

But in terms of the chest, I dont see why one would build more size ove the other as long as your eating and lifting hard. Your body doesnt differentiate Smith Machine vs. Free rack

Perhaps he "feels" it more with the Smith machines?
I know when I do any overhead press, the Smith works better for me because it stabilizes the weights. Many guys don't like it for various reason and I've heard that is one of them. Like brocksamson said, it works for him and may not for you

The Smith is basically a "free" weight on a guided track, so results are very similar. Personally, I prefer the smith for some pressing movements, such as the incline press. I feel it allows me to better target the upper-pecs when doing inclines. I often use it for flat presses too.

Overall, the Smith machine is more like a free weight than a machine, at least in my opinion. In terms of mass-building, I see very little difference between it and the free weight versions. Sure, the "stabilizer" muscles may work harder on the free weight versions, but I am not trying to work "stabilizers" (what are those stabilizers anyway--think about it) when working chest, I am trying to work chest...and I feel the Smith can be just as effective in that regard--and more so for some people.

A lot of older guys, or guys who have had shoulder injuries end up doing their chest routines on a smith machine. I read recently that Dexter Jackson said that his longevity is partially because he switched to doing chest on the smith to avoid serious injury.

Cedric is a complete genetic freak. I wouldn't worry too much about what he does.

Smith for chest is far superior for chest development once you know how to use it. Progressive overload, pauses, negatives, static holds etc. Free weight flat bench is strictly an ego lift in my opinion and an injury waiting to happen.

Unless powerlifting is your thing, then by all means it is necessary. But from a hypertrophy aspect smith is better. Now, if we are talking declines and inclines free weight, now we are getting somewhere. But even those I feel much better in the smith...

Agreed

Smith for chest is far superior for chest development once you know how to use it. Progressive overload, pauses, negatives, static holds etc. Free weight flat bench is strictly an ego lift in my opinion and an injury waiting to happen.

Unless powerlifting is your thing, then by all means it is necessary. But from a hypertrophy aspect smith is better. Now, if we are talking declines and inclines free weight, now we are getting somewhere. But even those I feel much better in the smith...

Well said sir...pro

The wear and tear on my shoulders from over 30 years of lifting have forced me to use the smith machine or verticle chest press machines.

smith machine can be dangerous....

in some moves IF executed properly smith machine is a good tool. BUT in some moves with improper form it is an injury prone machine. ie, because it is set in a plain of motion you could be out of alignment, bad posture, not under it correctly when doing squats etc and therefore can cause injuries. I think squats and deadlifts are prime example. like all machines it fixes you in a plain of motion, if your body isn't aligned right it could casue injury. hard to explain but hopefully some of you know what I mean...
-F2S

The Jones machine that is like a Smith but permits 3D movement is really nice for pressing and deadlifts... Let's you use a natural bar path but stabilizes the weight laterally.

I like a low angle bench press in the smith, like 30 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm not following the concept of smith being better with for 'hypertrophy aspect.' You can train for hypertrophy with any piece of equipment. I do not believe the equipment matters for hypertrophy. Would you mind elaborating a bit so I can try to see your perspective?

I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say the smith is superior for hypertrophy for everyone. I'd say for some people it is, and for others it's not. Training styles come down to the individual's genetic makeup.

I have been injuryfree for years since I began doing smith benc press instead of bb benchpress
My shoulders don't like flat bench press. I learned it the hard way

in some moves IF executed properly smith machine is a good tool. BUT in some moves with improper form it is an injury prone machine. ie, because it is set in a plain of motion you could be out of alignment, bad posture, not under it correctly when doing squats etc and therefore can cause injuries. I think squats and deadlifts are prime example. like all machines it fixes you in a plain of motion, if your body isn't aligned right it could casue injury. hard to explain but hopefully some of you know what I mean...
-F2S

this is what I've always found too w pressing... not so much so for rowing or squats for some reason........when pressing, i ALWAYS feel like i am not aligned right, or its "stickier" on one side, or some type of "off" from not feeling just right... .... i always feel like I'm going to get hurt on it when i get into the reps, i start to feel one side seeming to feel heavier... The one smith machine i have used that i liked pressing on had the track go straight up and down vertical... almost everyone at like 5 different gyms i goto now have the track slightly angled and i don't like it.. just personal preference...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ThirdLegery Gregory
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131