over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

*Contest prep* how I shrunk my waist this diet down to 28"

Dave_19

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I felt like posting this because I really credit my waist sliming down due to my training/diet this time around. I'll try to post a few pics for reference, but this last diet I was able to get my waist down to 28" which is the smallest its ever been including when I was much smaller. I had A LOT of emphasis this diet on shrinking down the waistline. I reached about 29.5" last year when dieting.

So heres basically what I changed this time around which I credit it too.

1) cardio; normally cardio type is irrelevant when it comes to core but the only cardio I did at all this entire diet was in the pool and teh majority of the pool cardio was NOT swimming laps, it was doing core work. for about 20-25mins. So basically heres how an avg session would look.

Wake up AM, fasted, go to the pool. I would do a complete oblique twist while walking fast paced up and down the pool, as I walked I would completely twist my upper body scooping up water with my palms throwing it almost on the side/behind me. I would feel quite a burn after 1 full lap of this and I would change the motion at this point do twisting to a lesser degree and I would "push" the water with palms this time focusing more on upper body/shoulders, allowing my obliques/abs to recoup. I would alternate the entire session like this, some times I would also do laps one direction back going 100% effort almost like HIIT.

In the morning the first few weeks after doing this I would hurt SO bad in areas that were never sore on my midsection I tried these sessions Ideally 4x/week.

Besides this my core training, I used NO resistance on any thing except forward cable crunches, only focusing on the squeeze in the front. This I feel helps with the actual size of ab muscles. So my typical core routine would look like this:
4 sets knee raises to failure
4 sets cable crunches (very light weight, enough to do about 100 reps per set)
4 sets of ball crunches focusing on the backwards stretch motion about 150 reps per set.
optional 4 sets of DB twist (light DBs using only 30lbsers alternating sides back and fourth with no breaks OR I would use a medicine ball lightest ball we have which I beleive is 3lbs and do oblique twist to failure.

Last thing i changed was diet. My diet changed the entire time so I won't get into detail on the whole thing, but one major change was adding intermidiete fasting, and avoiding huge carb up days. I kept carbs more balanced near the end, I did have some low/zero carb days, but tried not to load too much at all this entire diet. I also would fast some days up to 12 hours before eating again after a big cheat day or carb up day, which seemed to take my expanded waist and shrink it down due to lack of continued eating, and it didn't hinder my strength or size.

So yeah I figured I would document this and share. I know it seems very basic, but the pool training for cardio works amazing and I got a unique look this time around, almost a hybrid bodybuilder/swimmers body. I'll now post up pics.

These first one is last year, granted my bodyfats a little bit higher, you can tell my waist line is bigger, about 1.5"-2" to be exact, it was 1.5" at the very end of the diet.

Attachments

• 08 diet.jpg
    08 diet.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,599
Last edited:
(these are already up in Pic section, but here are ones from this diet, 28" this time I reached @ 195lbs 5'9", 29.5" last year at same body weight:

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 3,722
last one, also besides the decrease waist line, my abs filled out much more this diet then previous from the pool training I would mainly credit it.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,782
I felt like posting this because I really credit my waist sliming down due to my training/diet this time around. I'll try to post a few pics for reference, but this last diet I was able to get my waist down to 28" which is the smallest its ever been including when I was much smaller. I had A LOT of emphasis this diet on shrinking down the waistline. I reached about 29.5" last year when dieting.

So heres basically what I changed this time around which I credit it too.

1) cardio; normally cardio type is irrelevant when it comes to core but the only cardio I did at all this entire diet was in the pool and teh majority of the pool cardio was NOT swimming laps, it was doing core work. for about 20-25mins. So basically heres how an avg session would look.

Wake up AM, fasted, go to the pool. I would do a complete oblique twist while walking fast paced up and down the pool, as I walked I would completely twist my upper body scooping up water with my palms throwing it almost on the side/behind me. I would feel quite a burn after 1 full lap of this and I would change the motion at this point do twisting to a lesser degree and I would "push" the water with palms this time focusing more on upper body/shoulders, allowing my obliques/abs to recoup. I would alternate the entire session like this, some times I would also do laps one direction back going 100% effort almost like HIIT.

In the morning the first few weeks after doing this I would hurt SO bad in areas that were never sore on my midsection I tried these sessions Ideally 4x/week.

Besides this my core training, I used NO resistance on any thing except forward cable crunches, only focusing on the squeeze in the front. This I feel helps with the actual size of ab muscles. So my typical core routine would look like this:
4 sets knee raises to failure
4 sets cable crunches (very light weight, enough to do about 100 reps per set)
4 sets of ball crunches focusing on the backwards stretch motion about 150 reps per set.
optional 4 sets of DB twist (light DBs using only 30lbsers alternating sides back and fourth with no breaks OR I would use a medicine ball lightest ball we have which I beleive is 3lbs and do oblique twist to failure.

Last thing i changed was diet. My diet changed the entire time so I won't get into detail on the whole thing, but one major change was adding intermidiete fasting, and avoiding huge carb up days. I kept carbs more balanced near the end, I did have some low/zero carb days, but tried not to load too much at all this entire diet. I also would fast some days up to 12 hours before eating again after a big cheat day or carb up day, which seemed to take my expanded waist and shrink it down due to lack of continued eating, and it didn't hinder my strength or size.

So yeah I figured I would document this and share. I know it seems very basic, but the pool training for cardio works amazing and I got a unique look this time around, almost a hybrid bodybuilder/swimmers body. I'll now post up pics.

These first 2 are last year, granted my bodyfats a bit higher, you can tell my waist line is bigger, about 1.5" to be exact

As i said before you look great man, Nice job.

Getting the waist slimer is always good as it create a illusion of Being Bigger,Larger and having lower bodyfat

I also would fast some days up to 12 hours before eating again after a big cheat day or carb up day, which seemed to take my expanded waist and shrink it down due to lack of continued eating, and it didn't hinder my strength or size.

Are there any other reasons you fasted during this time Dave?

-Thanks

Are there any other reasons you fasted during this time Dave?

-Thanks

Yeah I actually criticized Intermediate fasting when first hearing about it until testing it on myself and others. I was in fear of becoming catabolic, but there is a time when its "ok" its after an extreme load in balanced food. Your body is NOT going to seek protein/muscle for fuel if you have consumed WAY over your maintence cals prior. I have went as extreme as cutting off food at 11pm and not eating until 4:30pm! I also would make strength gains the days following, there are a few tricks/rules for this to work correctly though which I cannot get too into if you know what I mean. But yeah the other main reason was to contribute to fat loss on the diet. Using this technique I was able to eat some pretty bad food the last 4 weeks, I'm talking entire boxes of cereal with mixed fruit, syrup, with Chipotle and 5 protein bars. That would be typical.

I actually got the Idea off another diet, and I cannot remember the name of the man to credit at the moment, but the rules were simple you fasted and only had a 4-6hr window of time to eat WHAT EVER you wanted, and this worked. Is this good for a bodybuilder OF COURSE NOT, is what I did even good? well Its not Ideal for a competitive bodybuilder I'm sure of that, it would be much more Ideal to stay clean with food and keep it frequent the entire diet, but if you're going for looks and are non competitive its VERY effective for fat loss, since I fitness model my diet/training is a bit different little emphasis on back/legs and diet is flexible not concerned with super high protein and muscle mass.

Could this be the man you learned it from? (attached image)

His name is Martin Berkhan and is an intermittent fasting "guru", and he has an eating routine that works for bodybuilders. (as you can see it obviously works for him)

I've tried his method for a time (about a month), and it definitely opened up my mind about how often you need to eat... and my waist shrunk from 34" to 32" during that time, only due to the fact that I didn't eat as often. (didn't change calories at all, was offseason)

His website: leangains.com

Attachments

• ifrecompbkn1.jpg
    ifrecompbkn1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,605
Could this be the man you learned it from? (attached image)

His name is Martin Berkhan and is an intermittent fasting "guru", and he has an eating routine that works for bodybuilders. (as you can see it obviously works for him)

I've tried his method for a time (about a month), and it definitely opened up my mind about how often you need to eat... and my waist shrunk from 34" to 32" during that time, only due to the fact that I didn't eat as often. (didn't change calories at all, was offseason)

His website: leangains.com

Yeah man this is him! My buddy actually did this diet and back then I wasn't a fan at all. It does work its just different though, hes not the best testimonial figure though for bodybuilders because hes so small, and any diet can work to get you ripped if you restrict enough food/cals. I can tell you though for myself I broke new strength records, and lighter weight using this diet this time.

this sounds great because i hate eating often. anywhere i can find info on the diet.

Yeah man this is him! My buddy actually did this diet and back then I wasn't a fan at all. It does work its just different though, hes not the best testimonial figure though for bodybuilders because hes so small, and any diet can work to get you ripped if you restrict enough food/cals. I can tell you though for myself I broke new strength records, and lighter weight using this diet this time.

I woulndt call " So small" 195 LBS at 6% Bodyfat.

This dude is shredded.

it has been shown that Interminent Fasting IMPROVE insulin sensitivity.

I'm not trying to be negative but you are not carrying alot of muscle there. I would also like to see your legs because most of the time big legs comes with heavy lifting & high calories which usually will make the waist a little bigger.

right on man, interesting post, something iam going to try once it get into my cutting diet, started 2 weeks ago. you look sick in ur after pics! good work!

DatBtrue does a similiar EOD fasting diet.. I know he raves about the way he feels on the fasted day.. And i believe he also reports strength gains.. I don't wanna speak for him, but he documented alot of it in his sticky...

I'm not trying to be negative but you are not carrying alot of muscle there. I would also like to see your legs because most of the time big legs comes with heavy lifting & high calories which usually will make the waist a little bigger.

I don't know who you were talking to (Martin isn't posting in this thread, I'm not him), but if you meant him, this is some weights he did 2 years ago.. I have no idea where he's at now.

Squat: 382 x 4
Deadlift: 594 x 3

And some pics from 2007 I digged up.
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Thanks for the insight Dave! Wow ..u are lookin great! Apparently it worked like a charm:eek:

My best diagnosis would be you lost muscle in the oblique region by doing that type of cardio fasted every day. You overtrained the muscle while it had nothing in your body to support it, so it shrank.

TP4U?Your back my friend good to see you on here!Tells us what your plans are this year.you going to the nats?Whats going to be your first show?

i think the shrinking waist might have to do more with the diet than the style of cardio. since you are not eating all day it is not stretched out all day?

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws