over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

developing set and rep ranges.

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
we have a few people on here, and by few im thinking of 2, who have seemed to overcome training frequency, weight progression, and recovery. from what i gather its a matter of finding the right combination of set and rep ranges so that you trigger a growth response from the muscle but dont go into a high volume area that would require more recovery time and thus decrease the frequency at which that muscle can be trained. the following is strictly my opinion i may be way off base but id like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

lets start with higher rep ranges, 15-20 reps. if your training for a fight or a specific sport where muscular endurance is of greater value these higher ranges would be extremely beneficial. noone would argue that a guy benching 300 for 20 was weak. but how does this effect muscle tissue? well primarly its going to work slow twitch muscles which arent the ones that get freaky big. funny thing is i think theyre might be an exception to this when it comes to legs. think about the function of your legs. they carry around a couple of hundred pounds all day long. the amount of power they produce in a day cumulatively is about enough for you to squat an elephant. and thats on arm and shoulder day....lol.....so if legs are designed to be the body's long distance work horse doesnt it make sence to take that natural function and kick it into overdrive. look at dc training with the 20 rep widow makers when you squat. forst you pound the legs with heavy weight then you use that higher range to really finish them off.

other than legs this high range has its place but probably not to build alot of mass.

now lets look at lower rep ranges 1-10 reps. what generally happens is, and this is just my observation, most guys stay in the 6-9 range for work sets. Why? what happens there that doesnt happen at 1-3 or 10-15? My guess is its in that range that enough weight is used repetitiously to trigger a growth response. think about it if you do 1-3 reps with heavy weight is it a far stretch of the imagination to think the body has other ways to compensate with this type of trauma other then to build new tissue? maybe recruit more fibers into this movement before the need for new tissue is realized? or maybe a hormonal response like adreneline? but if your in that happy middle rep range it seems logical that the amount of stress on the body is enough to create a need for more tissue.

but when do you stop? when did you do enough damage to get what your looking for out of a workout without putting your body in a position where you did so much its going to take a week for your muscles to recover, as well as your central nervous system?

well i think there are alot of variables here. diet is a huge one. if you dont have the required materials available to repair this should delay recovery. another one would be total work output. in that rep range did you go to positive failure where you could not complete another rep at that same weight in that given set as well as repeat that exact set after a short rest? lets look at DC's rest pause set. Dante i hope im not misquoting here but its one set with 3 failure points. the way i see it you can look at it as 3 sets done in rapid succection. but the second set you cant repeat the work done in the first one. i.e. you get 4 reps instead of the 7 you got before you failed the first time. so what part of this set does the most important work get done? lets look at straight sets as well. if you take a set to failure and rest for an arbitrary period of time you should not be able to repeat the first set. why? what happens to the CNS, muscle tissue, chemical fuel used that does not allow for this? those are qquestions id like answeres to. but as for the which part is most important i believe its the first one. the first part of a rest pause or the first straight set. i would think thats where the most shock to the body is caused.

im running on to long with this but here are my questions. how do we decide how much is enough? when is the line crossed into being counterproductive? if you didnt have the knowledge already laid out by guys like Phil and Dante how would you go about developing the best program from scratch? id just like some insight as to what others think and definately a lesson from guys like Phil, DAD, Big A and Dante if they would be so kind as to correct any mistakes in my thinking.

I've been experimenting with frequency and volume, and researching the way gymnasts train. I am totally blown away by these 15 year old female gymnasts who look almost like female bodybuilders. They aren't trying to gain size, it is just a by product of their training. I seriously doubt any of them are eating tons of protein, drinking protein shakes, taking all the supplements we do, etc. And these are girls without all our testosterone! The top level gymnasts train almost everyday for 4 or more hours a day! I have also heard about a couple of guys who train their arms everyday. That's right, every single day, and it works, at least for them. I've started training my legs every other day. Not tons of volume, just 3 or 4 sets of squats. I want to see how that frequency works for me. Check out this photo of these young female gymnasts so you can see what I'm talking about.
2647542040104758536BwVuGM_ph.jpg

I looked at the photo too long... What was the question again?
Climber

we have a few people on here, and by few im thinking of 2, who have seemed to overcome training frequency, weight progression, and recovery. from what i gather its a matter of finding the right combination of set and rep ranges so that you trigger a growth response from the muscle but dont go into a high volume area that would require more recovery time and thus decrease the frequency at which that muscle can be trained. the following is strictly my opinion i may be way off base but id like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

lets start with higher rep ranges, 15-20 reps. if your training for a fight or a specific sport where muscular endurance is of greater value these higher ranges would be extremely beneficial. noone would argue that a guy benching 300 for 20 was weak. but how does this effect muscle tissue? well primarly its going to work slow twitch muscles which arent the ones that get freaky big. funny thing is i think theyre might be an exception to this when it comes to legs. think about the function of your legs. they carry around a couple of hundred pounds all day long. the amount of power they produce in a day cumulatively is about enough for you to squat an elephant. and thats on arm and shoulder day....lol.....so if legs are designed to be the body's long distance work horse doesnt it make sence to take that natural function and kick it into overdrive. look at dc training with the 20 rep widow makers when you squat. forst you pound the legs with heavy weight then you use that higher range to really finish them off.

other than legs this high range has its place but probably not to build alot of mass.

now lets look at lower rep ranges 1-10 reps. what generally happens is, and this is just my observation, most guys stay in the 6-9 range for work sets. Why? what happens there that doesnt happen at 1-3 or 10-15? My guess is its in that range that enough weight is used repetitiously to trigger a growth response. think about it if you do 1-3 reps with heavy weight is it a far stretch of the imagination to think the body has other ways to compensate with this type of trauma other then to build new tissue? maybe recruit more fibers into this movement before the need for new tissue is realized? or maybe a hormonal response like adreneline? but if your in that happy middle rep range it seems logical that the amount of stress on the body is enough to create a need for more tissue.

but when do you stop? when did you do enough damage to get what your looking for out of a workout without putting your body in a position where you did so much its going to take a week for your muscles to recover, as well as your central nervous system?

well i think there are alot of variables here. diet is a huge one. if you dont have the required materials available to repair this should delay recovery. another one would be total work output. in that rep range did you go to positive failure where you could not complete another rep at that same weight in that given set as well as repeat that exact set after a short rest? lets look at DC's rest pause set. Dante i hope im not misquoting here but its one set with 3 failure points. the way i see it you can look at it as 3 sets done in rapid succection. but the second set you cant repeat the work done in the first one. i.e. you get 4 reps instead of the 7 you got before you failed the first time. so what part of this set does the most important work get done? lets look at straight sets as well. if you take a set to failure and rest for an arbitrary period of time you should not be able to repeat the first set. why? what happens to the CNS, muscle tissue, chemical fuel used that does not allow for this? those are qquestions id like answeres to. but as for the which part is most important i believe its the first one. the first part of a rest pause or the first straight set. i would think thats where the most shock to the body is caused.

im running on to long with this but here are my questions. how do we decide how much is enough? when is the line crossed into being counterproductive? if you didnt have the knowledge already laid out by guys like Phil and Dante how would you go about developing the best program from scratch? id just like some insight as to what others think and definately a lesson from guys like Phil, DAD, Big A and Dante if they would be so kind as to correct any mistakes in my thinking.

i think your way over thinkin it

simplicity is a beautiful thing

Oh, one more thing I found out about their training, they do a lot of bodyweight exercises. So I'm thinking less weight and more reps and frequency. I'm very open minded when it comes to training and bodybuilding in general.

Gotta admit..since working with Phil H briefly via email and using his protocols i've made more gains in a linear fashion for longer periods than with any other protocol I've used, with a possible exception of DC but PH's protocol has allowed me to go for longer periods without 'cruising'.. its reached the point where my ligaments now need a lot of support and regular chiro treatment and therapy because the muscle strength has increased so quickly (I"m a natty) and its become imbalanced..that said I'm stronger over more lifts and rep ranges at 39 years old than I ever have been. Period.
eg 4 months ago in a rack dead would have struggled on 220kgs for a single..last week pulled up 280kgs for 4 and did 200 for 18 reps.. thats from just below patella height and i'm currently 91kgs. Thats just one example..leg press, decline bench, all have had similar gains.. so for me personally.. PHernons rep and set ranges and stroke/technique etc have hands down become my favourite way to train.

regarding the gymnist post,
there is a huge difference between:
"he/she is a great gymnist and looks great because of the way he/she trains"
and
"because he/she is a great gymnist and looks great, he/she can train like that"

every retarded gym goer in my country trains like arnold... 5 billion sets for each muscle part training each muscle twice a week for 2-3 hours at a time. and guess what? 1 out of every 5000 (number pulled out of my ass, but you know what i mean) looks fucking awesome training that way and usually makes it to high level contests. the rest of the 4999 guys training like that don't even look like they ever did a push up in their life.
the same could be said about gymnists... especially top level gymnists... you get 50 6 year old kids all training the same and putting their hearts into it... probably only one of them will make it due to their genetic structure and not because of the way they train.

remember the arabian champ i always bring up? yeah, he trains with a lot of volume and moderate weight hitting each bodypart twice per week... guess what? he used to be a national gymnastics champion when he was 13. tells you something about structure... it's not because "he looks like that because he trains like that" it's mostly "he trains like that because he looks like that"

that's my opinion

I believe the important part of my DC set is the cumulativr fatigue. dropping from say; 10 reps to 5 to 2.... in the rest pause recruits more fibres than a straight set could ever recruit/fatigue....

great post tho tkav

one thing to keep in mind with the gymnist is the exposive nature of their movements. ive done a bit of high velocity training, weight is light in order to acheive but the workouts can be brutal.

gymnist don't do it for the rest of there lives.
That arn't a good example .
Have you ever seen an old gymnist?

Hot Rocks

gymnist don't do it for the rest of there lives.
That arn't a good example .
Have you ever seen an old gymnist?

Hot Rocks

what exactly is your point? are you saying their training is destructive? if that's not what your saying then again, what is your point?

^Bump for more opinions

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member