over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Diet follow-up

rightd0se

Newbies
I know Big A stresses that reaching close to 500 g of protein daily is necessary for growth in tandem with his training program. But regarding the inflation in the US, the possibility of empty shelves in grocery stores, and the fact even one scoop of whey protein isolate gives me the runs now, reaching even 300 g of protein a day may not only seem difficult but out of reach in the future. Big A or those that know Big A, is reaching that kind of protein intake daily necessary for growth?

I say around 1 gram per pound of body weight. I look my best at 1 and I/2 gram per pound.

What is your body weight? Are you on a bulking diet or cutting diet? 500 grams ... maybe if you weigh 240 pounds and are trying to compete at the national level.

I find a percentage of total calories to be an interesting way of looking at it. Any changes you make to one macro affect one or two of the other macro percentages. When you think of it this way, the macro ranges you are talking about come into focus. If you are eating 500g of protein and eating 4k total calories, you are getting 50% of your calories from protein. This might be fine but it only leaves 50% left over for fat and carbs. I don't know if you've ever eaten only 20% of your calories from fat but most people who try it get issues from too little fat, I find 25% to 30% of calories from fat to be perfect, some might want to go a little higher or lower, but not much. This only leaves 20-30% for carbs. Now carbs are protein-sparing and anabolic themselves, muscle size is a good portion stored glycogen (around a third of their size in untrained individuals).

So you can see, if you are eating 4k calories (which is a lot) or less, eating 500g of protein at 30% fat intake will only leave 20% for carbs and that won't be ideal for most.

Now if you are eating 5k total calories, eating 500g protein starts to look a lot more realistic, this is 40% of your total calories, leaving 20-30% for fat and 30-40% for carbs.

If you are like me, and you 230lbs and eating 3k calories (my metabolism isn't super high at and I'm doing a little recomp) eating 500g of protein would be 2/3rds of my total calories and I'd have to eat so little fat and carbs it wouldn't work at all.

With the exception of some very specific diets and people, almost everyone is going to need fairly 'cookie cutter' macros: Protein will be in the 25-45% of total calories range, carbs will be in the 25-45% range, and fat will be in the 25-35% range. If you try diets outside those ranges, you will usually run to some reason to change it fairly quickly.

What is your body weight? Are you on a bulking diet or cutting diet? 500 grams ... maybe if you weigh 240 pounds and are trying to compete at the national level.
I would say bulking but not too much of a surplus. Keeping the weight gain relatively slow. I only said 500 g because Big A specifically stresses everybody needs to try to eat 500 g daily.

I find a percentage of total calories to be an interesting way of looking at it. Any changes you make to one macro affect one or two of the other macro percentages. When you think of it this way, the macro ranges you are talking about come into focus. If you are eating 500g of protein and eating 4k total calories, you are getting 50% of your calories from protein. This might be fine but it only leaves 50% left over for fat and carbs. I don't know if you've ever eaten only 20% of your calories from fat but most people who try it get issues from too little fat, I find 25% to 30% of calories from fat to be perfect, some might want to go a little higher or lower, but not much. This only leaves 20-30% for carbs. Now carbs are protein-sparing and anabolic themselves, muscle size is a good portion stored glycogen (around a third of their size in untrained individuals).

So you can see, if you are eating 4k calories (which is a lot) or less, eating 500g of protein at 30% fat intake will only leave 20% for carbs and that won't be ideal for most.

Now if you are eating 5k total calories, eating 500g protein starts to look a lot more realistic, this is 40% of your total calories, leaving 20-30% for fat and 30-40% for carbs.

If you are like me, and you 230lbs and eating 3k calories (my metabolism isn't super high at and I'm doing a little recomp) eating 500g of protein would be 2/3rds of my total calories and I'd have to eat so little fat and carbs it wouldn't work at all.

With the exception of some very specific diets and people, almost everyone is going to need fairly 'cookie cutter' macros: Protein will be in the 25-45% of total calories range, carbs will be in the 25-45% range, and fat will be in the 25-35% range. If you try diets outside those ranges, you will usually run to some reason to change it fairly quickly.

This breakdown spells it all out for me. Appreciate it. I wonder if this is what Big A meant or he really meant he wants everyone to eat 500 g daily.

Sorry for the very late replies everybody. Been going through some stuff that has me saying life sucks. But eventually we all bounce back so I'll keep trucking.

I would say bulking but not too much of a surplus. Keeping the weight gain relatively slow. I only said 500 g because Big A specifically stresses everybody needs to try to eat 500 g daily.

No, by God, the amount of protein and calories cannot be fixed, it must be adjusted to your body weight, metabolism, physical effort, training days etc ...

I'd say Big A's 500 gram protein recommendation is for national level athletes looking for their pro card.

No, by God, the amount of protein and calories cannot be fixed, it must be adjusted to your body weight, metabolism, physical effort, training days etc ...

I'd say Big A's 500 gram protein recommendation is for national level athletes looking for their pro card.
I am actually looking to go pro in the future. But I understand I should take it step by step.

I am actually looking to go pro in the future. But I understand I should take it step by step.

For some reason I thought you were a beginner, well, because you posted on the beginners subforum, lol

Some pros have consumed more than 500 grams, Nasser had 600 grams, but it is not the usual

500 grams of protein might be your long-term goal, but it won't always be necessary, and not everyone needs as much protein, carbs or calories.

What are your stats (weight, height). This has already been ask but you ignored the question, you even quoted the question and didn't answer? This is a very important question for you to get an accurate answer!

I myself, I definitely don't eat 500 grams of protein! I eat around 300 MAX

For some reason I thought you were a beginner, well, because you posted on the beginners subforum, lol

Some pros have consumed more than 500 grams, Nasser had 600 grams, but it is not the usual

500 grams of protein might be your long-term goal, but it won't always be necessary, and not everyone needs as much protein, carbs or calories.

I would probably consider myself one tbh. My strength as a bodybuilder is just not there yet.

I agree with everything else.

What are your stats (weight, height). This has already been ask but you ignored the question, you even quoted the question and didn't answer? This is a very important question for you to get an accurate answer!

Ah my apologies. My stats are 175 23% bf at 5'10. I wouldn't say I'm too fat but I can grab my stomach fat with one hand, sometimes half the amount when I'm leaner. But in bodybuilding, that is definitely fat lol. I know most people suggest not to go over 15% bf.

Ah my apologies. My stats are 175 23% bf at 5'10. I wouldn't say I'm too fat but I can grab my stomach fat with one hand, sometimes half the amount when I'm leaner. But in bodybuilding, that is definitely fat lol. I know most people suggest not to go over 15% bf.
IMHO anything over ~200gms protein daily is too much for you. That's 1.5gms/lb of body weight. After a certain point your body starts using the excess protein for energy and somewhat inefficiently. Carbs and fat are cheaper calories for daily expenditure.

I personally like the Testosterone Diet version of finding macros. Start with .9gms of protein/lb body weight and split the remainder between fat and carbs. The remainder is based on goals whether bulking or cutting. Protein is the only constant. For example of a 200lb lifter bulking slowly on 3500 kcals daily.

Protein= 180gms (20% kcals)
Carbs= 348gms (40% kcals)
Fat= 150gms (40% kcals)

If you start blasting hormones almost all of this is moot. It's a marathon not a sprint.

IMHO anything over ~200gms protein daily is too much for you. That's 1.5gms/lb of body weight. After a certain point your body starts using the excess protein for energy and somewhat inefficiently. Carbs and fat are cheaper calories for daily expenditure.

I personally like the Testosterone Diet version of finding macros. Start with .9gms of protein/lb body weight and split the remainder between fat and carbs. The remainder is based on goals whether bulking or cutting. Protein is the only constant. For example of a 200lb lifter bulking slowly on 3500 kcals daily.

Protein= 180gms (20% kcals)
Carbs= 348gms (40% kcals)
Fat= 150gms (40% kcals)

If you start blasting hormones almost all of this is moot. It's a marathon not a sprint.
I'll add that to my knowledge base as well. Thank you man.

Definitely get that BF% down my man. Sounds like you need to get the diet specifics dialed in and then watch the mirror and use a soft tape to measure true waist. Once you get that on track you’ll rock right along!

Cage

Definitely get that BF% down my man. Sounds like you need to get the diet specifics dialed in and then watch the mirror and use a soft tape to measure true waist. Once you get that on track you’ll rock right along!

Cage
Thanks man, I agree

300g of protein from all foods together like from carb too or from just protein sources such as meat/eggs....?

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner