advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Discussion. Possible to lose weight for a show on a high carb diet?

Ocean cool

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Is it possible to lose weight on a high carb diet.

I know it has been a common practice to lower your carb pre/contest. However, every time i lower my carbs below 150g i get fatigue, dizzie and weak. Emotionally, i feel moody, negative, lack of motivation and sometimes a little depress and i hate it.

I'm planning to prepare for a local show. I need your advice especially from vets. Hopefully, shelby, John and Phil can add value.

Thanks guys.

their are alot of people who diet into shows on high carbs and low fats.

Before low carb, there were many people who did this, but there exact protocol I dont remember, I think Rich Gaspari may have been one.

Well

It depends upon what you define high. More calories than burnt then no.......too little protein you will lose muscle......too much and it will be stored as fat.........too little carbs you'll lose muscle.........too much will be stored as fat.....its a ratio you must find.........for your muscle mass and metabolism/daily activity.

George Farah is known for putting his clients on high carb diets leading up to shows.

Is it possible to lose weight on a high carb diet.

I know it has been a common practice to lower your carb pre/contest. However, every time i lower my carbs below 150g i get fatigue, dizzie and weak. Emotionally, i feel moody, negative, lack of motivation and sometimes a little depress and i hate it.

I'm planning to prepare for a local show. I need your advice especially from vets. Hopefully, shelby, John and Phil can add value.

Thanks guys.

Genereally that feeling goes away or gets easier.. Carbs effect serotonin and dopamine levels, so it's normal for those feelings to happen.

George Farah usually has guys follow a higher carb diet, but he goes with a lower protein approach.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

Phil pretty much sums it up.

My opinion is that of Dave Palumbos. Protein is essential, fat is essential, carbs are fuel. When bulking eat more carbs, when dieting cut back on carbs.

It depends upon what you define high. More calories than burnt then no.......too little protein you will lose muscle......too much and it will be stored as fat.........too little carbs you'll lose muscle.........too much will be stored as fat.....its a ratio you must find.........for your muscle mass and metabolism/daily activity.

I get what u're saying. I'm looking at a range of above 250g.

Anything less than 150g and i feel horrible. Tired, moody, demotivated, depress and angry.

Too little carbs, i feel fatigue, lose muscles and stunt my metabolism rate. Too much, it gets stored as BF.

Maybe a moderate protein, high carbs, low fat?

Genereally that feeling goes away or gets easier.. Carbs effect serotonin and dopamine levels, so it's normal for those feelings to happen.

George Farah usually has guys follow a higher carb diet, but he goes with a lower protein approach.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

Phil pretty much sums it up.

My opinion is that of Dave Palumbos. Protein is essential, fat is essential, carbs are fuel. When bulking eat more carbs, when dieting cut back on carbs.

I don't know how you guys can stay motivated and drag yourself to the gym on such low carbs. Its draining as hell and makes me yawn all the time.

But i wonder if anyone has 1st hand success. It would benefit us all.

I don't know how you guys can stay motivated and drag yourself to the gym on such low carbs. Its draining as hell and makes me yawn all the time.

But i wonder if anyone has 1st hand success. It would benefit us all.

UNOIGO is a client of shelbys and is dieting on like 500+g carbs.. He posted some pictures in the member section.

High carb is relative...for someone 150g/day might be higher day, while for others 300-400g is low

If you burn more calories (carbs also) than you consume - you'll be losing fat. So if you eat high cals (high carbs) and burn more - yes it is possible.

Mike Mentzer about higher carb diets bellow:

Attachments

• MM_heavy_duty_nutrition.jpg
    MM_heavy_duty_nutrition.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 345
High carb is relative...for someone 150g/day might be higher day, while for others 300-400g is low

If you burn more calories (carbs also) than you consume - you'll be losing fat. So if you eat high cals (high carbs) and burn more - yes it is possible.

Mike Mentzer about higher carb diets bellow:

Damn Mentzer was so ahead of his time, that sounds exactly like something Chris Aceto would say.

I find I diet REALLY well and have the best results when I keep carbs very high and protein moderate or also on the same level as carbs and keep fats VERY low usually only take in the 30 grams a day and most of that is from the salmon burger patties I eat, that way the efa's are tossed in there. Then twice every 10 days ish I bump the fats up to about 70 grams and lower the carbs / proteins. The body can go just fine without fats for periods of time, one of the main concerns about lowering fat so much from a bodybuilding standpoint is lowered testosterone.

With enhanced people that's not much of an issue and from the hormone standpoint / physical I feel just fine with such low fats , also from a well known contest prep coach/ Dr. it was shown that when people lost muscle during contest dieting it wasn't because of the low fat and low testosterone but moreso from low carbs and the insulin levels , so it makes sense if you want to preserve more muscle to eat more carbs and less fats for brief periods of time.

I perform better with higher carbs as compared to lowering them and having higher fats, as well as retain mass better like mentioned in the later, and I feel way more satiated eating carbs rather then fats ( more fruits/veggies/ oats, vs peanut butter/nuts/fatty meats)

Last edited:
My stats is 5'7.5, 175lbs at 8-9% BF.

I plan to take;

180g Protein
300g Carbs
20g Fats

Total cals = 2100

What do u guys think?
Cardio 4x a week.
Workout 3-4x a week.

Don't get me wrong, no doubt low carbs works well in being ripped.

But i've been feeling drained and get easily overtrained.

My stats is 5'7.5, 175lbs at 8-9% BF.

I plan to take;

180g Protein
300g Carbs
20g Fats

Total cals = 2100

What do u guys think?
Cardio 4x a week.
Workout 3-4x a week.

Total calories seem to low to me, especially for doing cardio. Also it is almost impossible to take your fat level that low, plus I doubt it is optimal.

Total calories seem to low to me, especially for doing cardio. Also it is almost impossible to take your fat level that low, plus I doubt it is optimal.

Thanks for your advice.

What would u suggest?

Will the high carbs (low GI) causes too much insulin spike making fat loss difficult even though one is on a deficit?

Bro hire a trainer ,seems like your one lost mofo

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner