over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dog and animal lovers unite!!!

kitana

Registered
I know this isn't related to BB at all, but I also know tons of you guys have dogs, and care about them greatly. I found out about this proposed ban this morning and I had to pass it along. It's not fair and I think everyone should stand up and say something about it.

Multiple Breed-Specific Bills Introduced in Oklahoma

[Thursday, January 26, 2006] Four separate bills providing for the repeal of Oklahoma's ban on breed-specific legislation have now been introduced. These include S1569 by Sen. Cliff Aldridge and S1702 by Sen. Susan Paddack. Rep. Paul Wesselhoft is also moving forward with his promise to allow cities and counties to enact breed-specific legislation through the introduction of two bills: H2657 and H2658.

H2658 not only permits regulation by breed, it goes one step further by specifically providing for the regulation of "pit bull" ownership. Owners of "pit bulls" (defined as American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terrier or any dogs displaying the physical characteristics of these breeds) would be required to register their dogs, keep them muzzled and leashed or in a secure enclosure, purchase $100,000 liability insurance, spay or neuter the animal, and abide by a host of other care conditions. Violators will face steep penalties, including up to $10,000 in fines if a "pit bull" seriously injures or kills a person or domestic animal.

In addition to permitting breed-specific legislation, H2657 would expand the state's dangerous dog law, strengthening it in some areas but overreaching in others with broad, subjective definitions of "potentially dangerous" and "dangerous" dogs.

Clearly, dangerous dog control is a priority issue for Oklahoma this year. To date, at least three other legislators have introduced non-discriminatory dog-related bills. Public safety is on everyone's minds, as it should be. However, if Oklahoma is to truly protect its citizens, then officials must enact a stronger, well-enforced, generic law that puts responsibility for a dog's behavior at the right end of the leash - with the owner. Targeting a certain breed will not prevent dog attacks from occurring. Strengthening penalties for negligent owners and promoting responsible dog ownership are better ways to achieve that goal.

What You Can Do:

* Contact the sponsors of these discriminatory bills and ask them to withdraw their support (For a list of talking points,
click here).

The Honorable Cliff Aldridge
State Capitol Bldg #533-B
2300 N Lincoln Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone:405/521-5584
Email: [email protected]

The Honorable Susan Paddack (Majority Whip)
State Capitol Bldg #417A
2300 N Lincoln Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone:405/521-5541
FAX:405/521-5694
Email: [email protected]

The Honorable Paul Wesselhoft
State Capitol Bldg #329
2300 N Lincoln Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone:405/557-7343
* Email: [email protected] Contact your own Representative and Senator to express your concerns. Find out who
represents you in Oklahoma.

Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state.
The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls currently in Oklahoma. However, pit bull owners would have to have the dogs spayed or neutered, and the animals would need regular rabies shots.
In addition, a pit bull owner would have to be age 21 or older and would be required to have a $100,000 liability insurance policy on every pit bull.
Also, each pit bull would have to be tattooed or otherwise marked when it is registered with the state. Owners would not be able to sell or transfer the dogs to other individuals in Oklahoma, excluding family members. And a person living in Oklahoma will not be able to bring in a new pit bull from out of state.
After those pit bulls that are allowed to remain in Oklahoma under the grandfather clause of the proposed bill die of old age, Wesselhoft said there should be very few pit bulls remaining in the state, if any.

We need to not only contact Rep. Wesselhoft, but ALL of Oklahoma’s Sententors and Representatives so these bills introduced in the Oklahoma Legislature will not be supported.

Attachments

• muebh1.jpg
    muebh1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 339
This is bullshit! Just cause an animal looks more aggressive than another doesn't mean it is. There's a list that I can't remember were I saw it, but it listed the top ten dogs that bite more often than others: 1)Springer Spaniel 2) Cocker Spaniel Pretty sure these were number 1 and 2 and pits weren't even on that list. Granted if one does bite your fucked but it doesn't happen as often as people make it out to be.

Three pitbulls got loose and terrorized an entire neighborhood in my town a few months back. The owner was known to be extremely careful and respectful of his dogs. One day, someone rang the doorbell, the owner answered the door and the pitbulls ran out of the open door (the mother and two 10 month old pups). These dogs attacked several children, and even bit off the thumb of their owner. As one of the dogs was chewing on a young child the owner jumped on the child (not his own child) to shield him and take the brunt of his own dogs attack. There were several trucks driving around with hockey sticks trying to wrangle the dogs. The dogs literally terrorized a neighborhood, attacking multiple people. Finally the police had to come and shoot the dogs on site, the dogs were running away down the street while the cops opened fire and gunned them down. Now, I am a huge dog lover, I love rottweilers, dobermans, german shepherds all the way down to little dogs (like my own), but I would NEVER want to live near a pitbull let alone own one. There is a genetic predisposition there to violent behavior. The reason Golden Retrievers have the most reported bites, is because every family has one. It's more likely to happen!

JBK, I'm not going to argue that it can't happen at all cause history tell it that it does. But this is were repsonsibilty of the owner comes into effect. I see your point about how they were careful and what not, but it goes further than that. Like research of were your dog came from. I got my pit/american bulldog mix from some friends of mine. This way I could check back on the blood line as far as possible to see if there was an history of fighting or anything like that. Once its breed into them it can't be removed and I think it's just sad to condem a whole breed over a few.

I understand your point of view 100% Armageddon. But, look at it from your neighbors' view, and this is the gov'ts stance. If you had young children and someone moved in next door or down the street, based on the pitt's history, you would be concerned. That's all I'm getting at, other than that being a crazy story.

I am pretty positive that golden retrievers are not at the top of the list for dog bites, but I definitely understand your logic. It is the law of averages.

I have no problem with legislation that restricts ownership of pits. They are dangerous and have a propensity to attack unprovoked. Too many stories of them just coming unglued one day. These animals are genetically predisposed to do what they do. Its not all their fault, but doesn't mean that it doesn't happen way too frequently. I will say that the language of the law is a little disturbing and certainly needs to be refined and more definitive.

I love dogs. I have a dog and he is my bud and my hunting partner, but I wouldn't feel great about a pit living near me and possibly getting loose around my dog or my fiance', and I can tell you I would be extremely nervous if I had kids and a pit was in my neiborhood.

I will tell you this if any dog breed other than a pit wondered on my property I would get my dog inside and watch carefully to see how the other dog acted. If it was a pit I would shoot it, end of story.

Pitbulls

I dont like pitsbulls at all. I have a doberman and he's the best dog I've ever had, not aggressive very laid back. But I think pits who have fighting in thier blood should be fixed and penaltys for fight dogs should be raised.

Say what yo want but you guys would act differently if you had one. What about rotts, there are just as many bad stories about them. If need be I'll do the search to prove my point on this. You just hear the stories of pit attacks more as it's something for the media to blow out of proportion. I went into this shop the other day and I was talking to the cashier. Been in there before and talked with her and knew she has pits. She was acting alittle weird and I asked why. She said it was the pills and I asked her what was up, she said she was attacked by a dog and I thought that it might be one of hers. Nope she was walking her pit on a leash, just alittle puppy. I think she said 7-9months and she was a few houses down from hers and the neighbors dog went nuts and came running of the porch and attacked her dog. She got between the two and this german shephard that attacked the dog ripped her right forearm to shreds. It was really nasty looking and pussing everywhere. Nothing in the paper, nothing on the news, and no big deal right. That's crap cause if it was her dog that did the attacking it would have been considered a menace and need to be put down. It's all perception and the picture for these animals has been painted poorly for years.

if you own a dog

you are responsible for what it does and how its acts. i have a 2.5 year old pit named tank. he's never been aggressive towards other dogs or animals...but i have always known there is that possiblity...just like with any dog. the thing that seperates them is that when a pit attacks...its a whole different world than if a dobe, rotty, or something else attacks. they were bred for fighting, and obviously are the very best at it.

i socialized tank with cats from when he was a puppy, but he is still a little aggressive towards them, so i dont let him be insituations where he could harm one. i socialized him with other dogs as much as i could when he was a puppy, but not a whole lot to be honest. now, one of my roomates has a bulldog puppy and i have been very hesitant in letting them play together...because tank was here first and i didnt know how he would view another dog (even if it is a puppy) in his territory. but we have let the play around on multiple occasions, always under my VERY watchful eye, and he seems to be fine...but i would not leave them alone together. thats stupid.

i dont think they should discriminate against pits alone...but there are a lot of irresponsible owners out there (of pitbulls and other breeds)...and they should take responsibility for their animals.

Attachments

• tank 10-23-05.jpg
    tank 10-23-05.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 283
  • tank10-23-05.jpg
    tank10-23-05.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 381
I ahve a pit and to be honest, I don't think I could even set up a situation where my dog would attack another dog or another person. SHit,unfortunately, I dont even think my dog would attack a someone if they broke into my home. Maybe if they were harming me, btu that is it. She woudl jsut lick them otherwise. A dog is just as good as their owner raised them to be....no better, no worse.

BTW, flex, thats a good lookin stud you got there!

Well, the dogs that ravaged my town were the same way Hella. You don't know what could flip that switch on ANY dog, whether it's a Mastiff or a Poodle.

This is my Karma, she's around 1.8 yrs old and is part Pit and American Bulldog, that's just under 80lbs. She's a great dog and I take her with me almost everywhere. The other hairy beast is my brothers dog that he's had since he was little. She's around 12 and is a purebreed Australian Shephard named Makita. I like keeping Karma with her as she's good tempered and easy going. But alittle to old to play with the Monster.

Attachments

• Eric 068.jpg
    Eric 068.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 305
  • Eric 175.jpg
    Eric 175.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 392
  • Eric 187.jpg
    Eric 187.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 333
  • Eric 191.jpg
    Eric 191.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 368
  • Eric 196.jpg
    Eric 196.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 390
I think its stupid to pass the proposal. I love pit bulls I have always wanted one but I have never gotten the opportunity to have my own until just recently but now I'm currently broke lol...

Jawbreak,

It all comes back to the owner 99% of the time. In your story, THE OWNER opened the door and the dogs ran out. A responsible owner would have been keeping his or her dogs at bay, and making sure they didn't get out when someone opens the door. Pits and other bully breeds are unfortunately DOG aggressive, not people aggressive. It comes from selective breeding long ago when dog fighting was a sport. I own and breed Staffordshire bull terriers. It would be a shame to see this breed fall to BSL's. In England the staffy's are known as the "nanny dog" for their affectionate love of children. The BS (breed specific) laws are just that; BS!

It all comes back to the owner 99% of the time. In your story, THE OWNER opened the door and the dogs ran out. A responsible owner would have been keeping his or her dogs at bay, and making sure they didn't get out when someone opens the door. Pits and other bully breeds are unfortunately DOG aggressive, not people aggressive

ah, come on! These dogs were not chasing another dog, they just fled. If you have to keep an eye on your pet 100% of the time, you shouldn't have them! If one turn of the head can result in the terrorizing of a neighborhood, you shouldn't have them. Get a Beagle. The bottom line is they are animals and we do not know when any animal will "snap." But that snapping point for a Pitt is going to be a hell of alot more dangerous then a Shitzu. You can bury your head in the sand all you want, but I see that same attitude with AAS in most on here too. At what point do you wake up and realize what you possess/do is inherently dangerous and there is the possibility that no matter how careful you are, you are putting yourself and others at risk?

jawbreakerkid said:
Well, the dogs that ravaged my town were the same way Hella. You don't know what could flip that switch on ANY dog, whether it's a Mastiff or a Poodle.

I am not saying you are lying, but I find that very hard to believe. After owning a dog and being around it 24/7 for over a year, you can tell if a dog has it in them to snap and go after a child or something randomly.

all I know is my breed of dog has never run rampant throughout a neighborhood attacking people, squirrels (sp?) maybe, not people. Ignorance is bliss.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity