69.8 KB · Views: 151
  • HUGO 2005 016.jpg
    HUGO 2005 016.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 192
  • HUGO 2005 009.jpg
    HUGO 2005 009.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 194
Dirk T said:
I am pretty positive that golden retrievers are not at the top of the list for dog bites, but I definitely understand your logic. It is the law of averages.

I have no problem with legislation that restricts ownership of pits. They are dangerous and have a propensity to attack unprovoked. Too many stories of them just coming unglued one day. These animals are genetically predisposed to do what they do. Its not all their fault, but doesn't mean that it doesn't happen way too frequently. I will say that the language of the law is a little disturbing and certainly needs to be refined and more definitive.

I love dogs. I have a dog and he is my bud and my hunting partner, but I wouldn't feel great about a pit living near me and possibly getting loose around my dog or my fiance', and I can tell you I would be extremely nervous if I had kids and a pit was in my neiborhood.

I will tell you this if any dog breed other than a pit wondered on my property I would get my dog inside and watch carefully to see how the other dog acted. If it was a pit I would shoot it, end of story.

Actually Goldens are at the top of the list.

Why don't you mind legslation that restricts pittys? The next breed on ths list might be yours. It will not end with just pittys. Dobes, rotties, german shepards, great danes, all of them and more will be next. They are not "genetically dispositioned" either. Well no more than cocker spainels are to attack.

If I moved next door to you, and one day my dog got out by mistake and you shot him, don't think for one minute, I wouldn't do the same to you. Not to your dog, but to you personally. End of story.

Doggtales said:
WP,

He is a Cane Corso. (Italian Mastiff). Color is Red Brindle. Great dog!

Really?!?! It looks like a presa cenario to me :confused: I guess they are closely related? EIther way, that is the collest looking dog I have ever seen man! I want one!

Doggtales said:
WP,

He is a Cane Corso. (Italian Mastiff). Color is Red Brindle. Great dog!

Cool. Are they hard to get and expensive? He looks like a big dog, I don't know how well he'd hold up out here in the desert, but he's a cool lookin' dog.

Wolfpack said:
Cool. Are they hard to get and expensive? He looks like a big dog, I don't know how well he'd hold up out here in the desert, but he's a cool lookin' dog.

Well I googled the breed and I found a breeder semi close to you, lol.

http://www.chargingrhinocanecorso.com/Home.htm

Although they don't have any price guides, I also did a little more research on them and so far it's been from $600 and up from there.

One site was minimum $1,000 (w/o ears done $1,300 with) up to $1,800 for shw quality pups.

I do think the average is around $1,000 for a pup.

kitana said:

Although they don't have any price guides, I also did a little more research on them and so far it's been from $600 and up from there.

One site was minimum $1,000 (w/o ears done $1,300 with) up to $1,800 for shw quality pups.

Thanks kitana!

I'm sure with plenty of water it would be fine in the heat. My dog loves the heat much more then the cold. She loves playing in the snow too, but I can let her out in the Sun all day over the summer and she lats in the yard and just chills

kitana said:
Actually Goldens are at the top of the list.

Why don't you mind legslation that restricts pittys? The next breed on ths list might be yours. It will not end with just pittys. Dobes, rotties, german shepards, great danes, all of them and more will be next. They are not "genetically dispositioned" either. Well no more than cocker spainels are to attack.

If I moved next door to you, and one day my dog got out by mistake and you shot him, don't think for one minute, I wouldn't do the same to you. Not to your dog, but to you personally. End of story.

Well I googled a couple lists and while you are right Golden's are high on the list they weren't at the top of the ones I saw. The point was they are there because there are so many of them. However, a simple bite while always dangerous is different than and dog attacking with the intent to kill someone. When was the last time you read, heard, or saw a story of a pack of Golden retrivers mauling someone to death? Exactly you have NEVER heard one.

Pits are genetically predisposed to aggressiveness just as labs are predisposed to retrieve anything and everything. I am not against that legislation because the fact is most owners do not control and train their dogs properly, and sadly the dogs have a mind of their own. Its not like a gun where the human has to make the conscious effort to pull the trigger, the dog can just act on its own simply out of the owners negligence to stop it.

As far as shooting me. You must be a big tough woman. I am really worried. :rolleyes: Not that your dog would ever wonder into my Florida yard, but down here in the south(I live in N. Fl) we kill nusiance animals that wonder on to our property. Obviously if it was a neibhors dog and I knew that, I wouldn't kill it unless it acted the slightest bit aggressive and then it would be stone cold dead. Of course being educated I find a HUGE difference in killing an animal and taking a human life, obviously you don't. The problem is that if your dog was on my property you wouldn't have been doing your job and that is the day he could attack and kill my dog who was minding his own business in his own yard or worse attack me or my fiance'. Sorry but I am not going to let that happen cause someone loves bruno.

Lastly, is it a coincidence that so many BBers have and like "big bad" dogs.:confused:

Last edited:
Wolfpack said:

He is 130 lbs. 3 yrs old. I got him from Millreef Kennels in Arizona. www.millreefcanecorso.com From a quality breeder, you can expect to pay anywhere from $1500-$2500.

Unfortunately there are puppy-mills popping up seling this breed for $600-$1000. I would stay away from those because they do not follow the breed standard and the dogs usually end up with alot of genetic problems.

Def. do your homework on this breed. www.canecorso.org They can be strong headed at times and will constanly challange you.

PM me bro, and I can give you more info.

DOGGTALES

Last edited:
kitana said:

Charging Rhino Kennels are ok, but IMO there are better looking Cane Corsos out there.

I have to say something about the shooting thing. Fear does alot of things to people, and that can impair or enhance judgement. But believe you me that if someone were to shoot MY dog there would be hell to pay. I had my doberman poisened by the neighbor when I was younger because he was afraid of him. This dog never left our property, could walk the 30 acre property line. He was aggressive towards this man as he tried to walk, hunt and fuck around on my land. However he never left the property.
People can say what they want about breeds and what not but it's specific to each individual dog. I've taken my dog to my neighbors so they could meet her, just incase she were to wonder off. She plays with the neighbors dogs. If my dog were to become aggressive towards someone there is a reason and if someone did something to her, we would have some serious problems!

It all comes down to irresponsible breeding.I have owned APBT(pits) for over 20 years,and have bred them for six.
The only time I had a situation with one of my dogs was when I was out walking him and some stumbling drunk came up to me claiming he knew me(which i didnt)my dog simply growled at him,and the guy backed off,.He was being protective.Other than that I used to have the neighborhood kids come and play with my pups(with)the sire and dam in the yard,never any problems.I like sheps,dobes,neos,mastiffs,cane corsos,filas,rottis,all the working breeds,but love the APBT,These dogs dont lay around all day and think about who there going to bite next,and they dont go crazy at some point in there life,thats just nonsense,It took me a few years to convince and educate my neighbors about my dogs,but all is well now.I have never met such a loyal,loveable,love life dog
than the Pit,(im sure owners of other breeds will say the same).It all comes down to irresponsible breeding,owners,lets face it some people shouldnt have kids let alone a dog.With proper breeding(breeding good dogs to good dogs),proper socializing at an early age and training with love, these dogs are angels,Unfortunately they(some)have fallen into the wrong types of environment and for all the wrong reasons.The dogs are not to blame,Its the human element that destroys all good things. There are vicious individuals in every breed,also pits have been blamed when in fact another breed of dog was guilty.

Last edited:
Armageddon, just to clarify I think what that person did is despicable. While I would not hesitate to shoot an aggressive dog that was on MY property like I said before if I knew that it was a neighbors I would be much more reluctant to do so, unless it became aggressive. Killing someones dog on their property is inexcusable.

Governor I can completely respect that point of view. The problem is all the bad owners and breeders, which I personally think greatly outnumber the responsible ones. On top of that the fact remains that particular breeds are more prone to violence. Like I pointed out earlier while you may hear of other breeds biting a human and that can always be dangerous you don't ever hear of them mauling someone to death. The simple truth is that through breeding these dogs have the ability and genetic predisposition to kill. I have witnessed these breeds first hand taking down game and it is a site to see. They can easily become lethal killing machines. No lab, cocker spaniel, Dalmatian etc. is going to take down a 300lb wild boar. On the flip side the tenacity and jaw strength of a pit enables them to do just that. This makes them much more dangerous.

Maybe a better solution than a ban is making people be licensed to own them.

A little background on my view point. My uncle had a pit. Great dog. I used to play with it as a kid. It never did anything wrong. So I understand where you guys are coming from. However, on the other side of the coin my brother was bitten in the neck by one and could have easily been killed. I can't even remember the number of stitches he had to get. Also my best friends brother was attacked by one while walking his lab in his own neighborhood. The owner had the same old story. "he has NEVER done anything like this, I don't know what happened."

Last edited:
Doggtales said:
Charging Rhino Kennels are ok, but IMO there are better looking Cane Corsos out there.

I don't know anything about the breed at all, except they are beautiful creatures, lol.

I just posted their link since they are fairly close to him (in AZ I think), and their kennel shows that the breed can live in the desert fairly well.

Althought they are very pretty, and tough looking as well (bet they rank high in weight pulling!), I'll stick to my Dobes, lol.

I'm about to break out Karma's harness and get her in the yard to pull a sled. I was going to do it when she was younger but didn't want to risk any damage or stunted growth. Chances of that are slim, but she's my pet first and formost and she needs to be healthy. It's a pain in the ass as she's bleeding all over the tile in the kitchen. I can't wait for this to be over. As the next time she goes into heat she will most likely be breed! :p Then fixed, thank god. She's hyper when in heat, probably cause she spend so much time cooped up. I live in the sticks out side of town and have never seen so many dogs come around like this. I'll shoot one of these mutts if they knock her up! lol Doggie morning after pill might need to be created. lol

people that make the claim "it's geneticly predisposed to being aggressive" are extremely closed minded! do you make the same claims about different races as well? if a family raises the animal in a good environment and socializes the dog the way its suppose to be there not going to be aggressive... if your a lazy plasma screen looter from new orleans and you own a dog then yeah its probably going to be aggresive regardless of the breed as it wont know any better... just like children its the environment their raised in not the genetics that decide its personality...and making comments about how you shoot animals on your property is ridiculous!! dogs are family to alot of us i personally would rather have dogs then children..and as such i would react the same way kitana did.. what it comes down too is people dont like to take responsibility for there own actions...they like the safe route of well its not my fault hes aggressive hes a pitt bull even though i never gave him any attention and never socialized him...etc...etc..hes just naturally aggressive!!! people like this make me sick

If you don't think genetic makeup is responsible for certain tendencies in animal behavior you need to take a remedial science class that delves into genetics. There is absolutely a predisposition for aggressive behavior in certain breeds. Do you honestly think that decades and even centuries of breeding can be edged out in a short span of a few generations? It can't. Retrievers retrieve because of their genetic makeup, pointers point, and certain breeds are more aggressive in nature. It has nothing to do with being close minded it has to do with science. Also comparing animals to humans is ludicrous in and of itself. While we do share certain commonalities humans have reasoning and logic while animals rely upon instinct. We as humans have the ability to overcome our instincts.

Now I know that environment plays a role as well. However, in animals sometimes it just doesn't matter. That is why sometimes even good dogs in good homes do wrong things.

Some people have "tame" tigers or lions that haven't ever hurt them, but that doesn't mean they are genetically predisposed to violence. Now obviously domestic dogs are much further removed from that tendency through breeding, but the fact remains that certain breeds were breed for the sole purpose of fighting and taking down game. Just because 8 generations haven't done it doesn't mean that the genes are gone and anyone can visibly see that the physical attributes for these endeavors remain.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear