over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DOGGCRAP TRAINING ROUTINE

Also

bigbaldbulldog said:
perhaps i need to stop by again and talk when your not so busy ...things are going very well for me so perhaps i should wait till things slow down but i like what i seeing you do and i can read in between lines as see where your going with things..you look harder,leaner and more vascular then i have ever seen you look ...

You are looking pretty big yourself lately!

so does.....

the pump get used in the "outside the gym" regiment? is that the secret, is that what no one else is doing? Cmon phil is it the pump, phallic blood engorgement = muscle perfromance enhancing????? I got it, finally, the PH secret
gooey :D

phil

i always thought that your training was very close to dc minus the rest pauses.i remember reading several article"s in muscle development after the usa, four excersizes one set each all to failure.in your opinion do you feel that you can train each body part 3x each as long as your making strenght gains weekly.i like to hear your answer almost 10 years later.

phil's training

Phil,

I have an old Musclemag magazine with an article on your training theory. You said that you were doing a split where you would hit half your body one day and the other half the next but you would only do 3 working sets per muscle group. that lower volume aloud you to hit each bodypart every other day.

You also mentioned something Rory Landimier (sp?) said about men who work hard labor jobs and that they are bigger than average men because of the work (lifting) they do everyday at their job. So it made sense to apply that theory to bodybuilding....frequent bodypart training.

Interesting that you were one of the biggest bb's during those years and yet you were training totally against the norm!

PHIL HERNON said:
My diet is strange. I use synthepure and liquid aminos from beef only for protein.

Phil,

Do you mean that your only protein source comes from synthepure and liquid aminos?? No solid protein foods?

Yes

hardkor said:
Phil,

I have an old Musclemag magazine with an article on your training theory. You said that you were doing a split where you would hit half your body one day and the other half the next but you would only do 3 working sets per muscle group. that lower volume aloud you to hit each bodypart every other day.

You also mentioned something Rory Landimier (sp?) said about men who work hard labor jobs and that they are bigger than average men because of the work (lifting) they do everyday at their job. So it made sense to apply that theory to bodybuilding....frequent bodypart training.

Interesting that you were one of the biggest bb's during those years and yet you were training totally against the norm!

I train each muscle 3 times per week now. I only do one set though.

So you train 6 days a week ? What is your opinion on the 6 days a week training as opposed to 3 days like most DC'ers are doing (and which allows for faster strength gains because of the resting days in between) ? :)

Actually

Moen said:
So you train 6 days a week ? What is your opinion on the 6 days a week training as opposed to 3 days like most DC'ers are doing (and which allows for faster strength gains because of the resting days in between) ? :)

I train 7 most weeks.

PHIL...

Well thanks for noticing..if you are really serious..I have gained as of today 17 lbs since March 4th...all on pro hormones and that is all..my face is thinner and i feel good and full and strong...

I hope to get in touch with you so you can give me a few more ideas and bring me up another 8-15 lbs and drop 3-5 % body fat over the next 5-7 weeks...

I noticed when i stopped by a few extra thinsg laying around your desk like mac nuts,extra veggies and some fruit..so i knew you were up to soemthing...We'll talk about the diet thing and how i can incorporate it into my busy day of school and work and training..finding the balence is key..give me a call today so we can talk about it if yo ucan ..as long as it is not between 10am-12pm i can talk..

PHIL HERNON said:
BBB, you would BLOW UP if you just tried this.
Phil were about the height right? 5ft 6in your about maybe 5ft 7-8in...what are you weighing right now ? and your bodyfat looks about 8% to me

I AM 5-7 3/4

bigbaldbulldog said:
Phil were about the height right? 5ft 6in your about maybe 5ft 7-8in...what are you weighing right now ? and your bodyfat looks about 8% to me

Thats what I was at the NFL combine. haahhaa I weigh 253.

Phil are you still just spliting the body in half ? If you are doing just one set , then how do you warm up ? And what are your rep ranges like ? Do you include , partials , burns , static holds , forced reps , or negatives ? I was making some nice gains in the past training like this , but I was doing 3 working sets part body in three different rep ranges.I liked it .....but as my strength went up and without drugs I eventually felt overtrained ......I should have just lower the volume I guess...... It seems like you you shouldn't train to total failure on this system or your nervous system would have trouble recovering .......what are your thoughts ?

Just hypothetically playing devils advocate (not to discount what experienced guys like Phil and DC theorize), training bodyparts several times a week is not a new idea. Back when I started training in the 70s-80s training bodyparts 2x wk was the normal method of training. I have no idea where I found the time but I did it for years. But then things changed to the 1x wk standard. Back in the day-its not like the guys were bigger than now-quite the opposite. Now I know more people train (thus the better chances of genetically gifted guys displaying awesome physiques), training/supplement/drugs have advanced dramatically. And to see modern guys and notice that some guys doing bodyparts several times a week are growing more does illustrate Phil and DCs point. But its been done before and back then I dont think I grew any better doing 2x wk, then 1x wk lately, just personally speaking.

Just food for thought...

I'm currently using the 3 set protocol and varying my rep ranges, but still hiting failure on all, and I've got stronger every week for the last 5 weeks I'd say. It wasn't until last week that I've been trying to crunch my diet that I felt a bit burnt out. Friday was deadlift day and I was smoked so I took friday and the weekend off and this morning I felt great in the gym. As long as I'm eating well and getting enough rest the 3 set workouts are treating me very well.

MikeS - would you say those workouts back then were higher volume as opposed to now a days when working out a body part 2-3x a week means only doing 1 set each time?

Last edited:
Yes

Iabadman said:
Phil are you still just spliting the body in half ? If you are doing just one set , then how do you warm up ? And what are your rep ranges like ? Do you include , partials , burns , static holds , forced reps , or negatives ? I was making some nice gains in the past training like this , but I was doing 3 working sets part body in three different rep ranges.I liked it .....but as my strength went up and without drugs I eventually felt overtrained ......I should have just lower the volume I guess...... It seems like you you shouldn't train to total failure on this system or your nervous system would have trouble recovering .......what are your thoughts ?

I split it in half, 1 set per muscle group.No partials, static, forced or negatives just yet. This is my first week, so I will keep you updated.

MikeS said:
Just hypothetically playing devils advocate (not to discount what experienced guys like Phil and DC theorize), training bodyparts several times a week is not a new idea. Back when I started training in the 70s-80s training bodyparts 2x wk was the normal method of training. I have no idea where I found the time but I did it for years. But then things changed to the 1x wk standard. Back in the day-its not like the guys were bigger than now-quite the opposite. Now I know more people train (thus the better chances of genetically gifted guys displaying awesome physiques), training/supplement/drugs have advanced dramatically. And to see modern guys and notice that some guys doing bodyparts several times a week are growing more does illustrate Phil and DCs point. But its been done before and back then I dont think I grew any better doing 2x wk, then 1x wk lately, just personally speaking.

Just food for thought...

But Mike I believe those guys were doing 12-20 sets per bodypart 2x a week and were not recovering. I dont believe you can train bodyparts multiple times a week with that kind of massive workload. Well not unless you have the recovery ability of a god. If science could ever blueprint a person and find out the exact amount of intensity/sets/workload to make a bodypart grow (or somewhere thereabout), I would take that exact amount and I wouldnt do it just once a week--I would do it as often as I could and recover. People always think in a context of "This workout today"--"oh shit i wont grow if I dont do this and that and that exercise and another exercise at a slight angle and at least this many sets" Its kind of "I MUST OR I WONT GET BIG OBSESSION". I look at the equation differently and worry "well if a guy did 4 exercises for legs and 4-5 work sets each for 16-20 sets, maybe the growth response was going to happen anyway at half the exercises and only 1-2 worksets each and all the rest of the stuff he is doing is a complete waste of valuable time.... and all its doing is burning up his glycogen stores (and setting him backwards so he cant recover in time to train that bodypart quickly again).

PHIL HERNON said:
My diet is strange. I use synthepure and liquid aminos from beef only for protein. I eat a lot of macadamia nuts, fruit, and broccoli. If you want to seperate yourself from everyone else, you must eat different than anyone else. Eating and supplementation is more important than training in my opinion. Any and all can lift weights. Not many can diet properly. Honestly guys, the way I hear some talk about cheat days and pizza and drinking etc..dont expect to ever be a pro. The hours OUT of the gym are more important than the hours in the gym. This is why many routines basically do the same thing. Natural supplements are VERY IMPORTANT! I take buffered creatine and a super multi-mineral every day. I use synthergine everyday! Dont go over 400iu of vitamin E per day, use omega-3 oils, olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, blueberries, broccoli, apple cider vinegar every day somewhere in your diet. I take a childrens aspirin every day, green tea exteact, melatonin, coQ10,and ALA every day. I do this NOW, when I was competing it was more, hahahahaaahahah

To me that is the most important part that everyone always misses IMO.
In my experience nutrition is 70% of the game in growth with training and recovery the other 30%. Genetics is out of your control.

Meal combinations and food types are important things that are overlooked and cast aside in the way of quick fixes like AAS.
I have been on these boards almost 10 years now and only in the last 4-5 years have training threads and nutrition came up to the forefront due to guys like Dante and others.

You will always see guys populate the shit outta every forum with anabolic cycle questions first before they even ask a training question.
I have seen guys post elaborate cycles the make my head spin Test, EQ Tren GH IGF T3 Insulin Clen Winnie Var D....and then ask "Anything I need to Add?"
Ya how about some brain cells. Most of the guys will be beginners and weight ~200 lbs. I have found people to be brutally honest about their AAS use but lie about stats weights lifted amount of ASS they get etc but they always post up that cycle like it's a badge of honor or something.
I may sound anti AAS but I am not but I believe in keeping it basic and sane on the doses. I have put more weight on in the past 5 years cutting doses way down and eating the hell outta some good food. I am talking about 5-700 grams of protein minimal carbs 3-400 and some essential fats.
The most important thing for me is to learn your body and to seek out advice on the boards as I am always learning even 15+ years later.

I met Victor Richards in 1994 and had the oppurutunity to see him eat. He was 322 and cut pretty damn good. He was constantly eating..I mean all the damn time!!... huge bowls of white rice and chicken shoveling it in taking huge bites chew chew and down the hatch.
When I copied his diet eating a lot more complex carbs I immediately put on a ton of weight 10-12 lbs in a month but I was soft. My body hates all those extra carbs so I found out the hard way my metabolism doesn't like too many complex carbs.
The quality of foods you eat and the order you eat them makes a huge difference. You need to find out what works for you and learn from experience as well. Nobody will get fat from eating several hundred grams of protein a day evenly spaced out over 6-8 meals and controlling carbs after 7.
People get fat from the carbs and fats eaten in junk food.
If you look like shit then you don't need to shit load or junk out no matter what day it is.
On the flip side I always get PM's with people sending diets high in protein but like 0 carbs a diet to cut on and write "I am going to blast on this diet with DC training and my goal is all muscle and no fat" I wish it were that easy.
I haven't seen one PErsonally advise DC trained client ever post a fat pic but I have seen a lot of Internet DC'ers pics too and some are FAT due to no discipline and not following carb cut offs or doing the cardio on off days.

Back to food combinations and eating properly or for function:
I wrote this previously on IM and MM so I thought I'd share it here:
http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=5722

and big boy eating
http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=7693

I am and will continually search for new ways to squeeze in another brief high intensity training session per a body part per week till I die.
The bigger you get the harder it is to do this.
It takes me longer to warm up load the weights unload the weights than to work out and stretch. (I wish I was rich as I would hire PHIL to be my plate boy!! LOL JK) I have experimented with some work outs in the past that worked well 3 times a week for body parts and even 3 times a day work outs on Saturdays at times but meticulous attention was paid to nutritionand rest and that can kill your social life in a second as well as recoup. It has to be cycled very carefully but results in some pretty big gains in advanced lifters.

My gains also skyrocketed when I payed closer attention to pre and post work out nutrition along with night time anti catabolic shakes and feedings and as Phil pointed out the right supplements that keep everything working and healthy.

I don't mean to downplay training either as a small part of the equation because a training system like what DC provided for us all is so very important for those to grow muscle that have stagnated or want to take it to the next level.
It is a very advanced system and a plan to pack on muscle on even the most hard gainer there is.
I just get disheartened when so many kids jump on the program as it isn't a program to get your feet wet or to learn training. But they do it to feel in the click or grown up or advanced.
There isn't an ideal training system I have used many and will continue to evolve as I age and my goals change.That's important to remember is that your training will evolve as you grow and learn and at what point you are in your career with growth.
**broken link removed**

I have had the pleasure of working with and knowing some of the great ones here on the net and need to get on PM more as there are a ton of people on here I respect like Big A, mike S, DC, IH, Excel, Phil, Iabad, Wylde, etc etc.

Phil I do plan on calling you and speaking with you about some stuff in the future as I am interested in picking your brain some more and hell I wanna eat some blueberries and nuts too that sounds fun...but damn lately I have been so busy I haven't had time to call my mother!

ONE thing for sure there are two things that made me set aside some work today as I saw PHIL and DC's name in the same sentence thread title and read all the responses.
PHIL has always been an idol of mine and Dante I never can say enough good things about him.
great board great people and great thread keep us updated!

Good (and long!) post Massive. There is ALWAYS too little attention paid to nutrition.

BTW on a sidenote G: Sorry about what happened. didn't know if you got my PM or not so just thought I'd tell you here :D

Massive G...do you eat like this all year long? If so, how's your HDL to LDL ratio on this amount of red meat? How's the BUN/Creatinine levels responding to the levels of protein in your system? Reason I ask is recently I've had to take a long hard look at my longevity in this sport due to some health issuues.
I've eaten every 2-3 hours for years now...and I've grown so sick of the routine of cooking, bagging, eating, and cleaning. The mere sight of a chicken breast makes me want to gag these days.
It so true though...what separates those who achieve the unnatural is in direct coorelation with the amount of time one spends in the kitcken preparing and planning meals. It's not rocket science, it's simply eating every 2-3 hours (But it's the hardest thing in the world to be consistent with on a daily basis).
These days I want a Pharm grade IV amino source with a port-a-cath to stick it into! lol

Well said.

DOGGCRAPP said:
But Mike I believe those guys were doing 12-20 sets per bodypart 2x a week and were not recovering. I dont believe you can train bodyparts multiple times a week with that kind of massive workload. Well not unless you have the recovery ability of a god. If science could ever blueprint a person and find out the exact amount of intensity/sets/workload to make a bodypart grow (or somewhere thereabout), I would take that exact amount and I wouldnt do it just once a week--I would do it as often as I could and recover. People always think in a context of "This workout today"--"oh shit i wont grow if I dont do this and that and that exercise and another exercise at a slight angle and at least this many sets" Its kind of "I MUST OR I WONT GET BIG OBSESSION". I look at the equation differently and worry "well if a guy did 4 exercises for legs and 4-5 work sets each for 16-20 sets, maybe the growth response was going to happen anyway at half the exercises and only 1-2 worksets each and all the rest of the stuff he is doing is a complete waste of valuable time.... and all its doing is burning up his glycogen stores (and setting him backwards so he cant recover in time to train that bodypart quickly again).

DC, the rumor going around is that you went to M.I.T.? True? If it is, it answers all of my questions as to why you know so much!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mvdds
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws