over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Drop sets when lifting alone

OuchThatHurts

Moderator / Psy, Ret.
Staff member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Just curious. Do you skip exercises that require weight removal when lifting alone? If you do them anyway, how do you handle them? With dumbells, you can have them all ready. Plates are a bitch.

I very, very rarely do drop sets. When I do, it's almost always with a selectorized machine so I can quickly change the weight and keep going.

Just curious. Do you skip exercises that require weight removal when lifting alone? If you do them anyway, how do you handle them? With dumbells, you can have them all ready. Plates are a bitch.
I definitely do with db's. I almost never do with a barbell. I'd rather use rest-pause or other methods if using a barbell and trying to reach failure. If I were to use drop sets with a barbell, I'd do them in a power rack.

If you work with a bar you have 2 options to reduce the resistance: 1 remove the plates (this requires time and more effort) or 2 use resistance bands to help you lift. Sometimes I use this second strategy on squats, deadlifts, and bench presses, and it's great. Of course, always inside the power rack.

There is no "set time" for drop sets. Whether it takes you 2 seconds to strip the barbell or 22, you are still keeping your rest period short.

I sometimes use drop sets on Leg Press or Hacks...completely by myself. There is no problem at all. Why would there be?

There is no "set time" for drop sets. Whether it takes you 2 seconds to strip the barbell or 22, you are still keeping your rest period short.

I sometimes use drop sets on Leg Press or Hacks...completely by myself. There is no problem at all. Why would there be?
Agreed 👍

I love drop sets on the leg press. I do them like this. Start with 1 plate for ten reps and keep adding for sets of 10 with a 1 minute rest period until you get to a weight you can’t do 10 with. Then immediately strip 1 from each side and go all the way down to 1 plate

I do drop sets on at times. There’s never a particular time where I plan on doing them. It’s just depends on how my body feels and how much time I have.

One thing that feels good is to go down the rack doing dumbbell curls. Has to be done at a time where its not too crowded of course. Right when you get down to the 10 pounders is when someone walks by you and thinks WTF!?

One thing that feels good is to go down the rack doing dumbbell curls. Has to be done at a time where its not too crowded of course. Right when you get down to the 10 pounders is when someone walks by you and thinks WTF!?
Run the rack! Always lift alone and love drop sets. Actually been doing a lot more of them lately especially.

F having someone else strip my plates... Maybe it is just a Bmore math issue, but mofos were always taking uneven amounts off, lol.
I'm in PA, don't even get me fcking started. I swear these people up here have brain damage. Honest ta god....

This is me, lol. I'm always like 'don't look at me'. I love drop sets and I guess I don't see why it's such a hardship to do them, barbell or dumbells, alone.

I don't do drop sets that much but I have done them on pretty much everything... leg press, hack squat, chest press (barbell, smith and machine), bi-ceps curls, tri-cep extensions, calf raises etc etc. Drop sets are simply a useful way of exhausting the muscle and all it's fibers in a very short time period. Thinking back I tend to do them more when I am cutting but the answer why isn't scientific or smart. I could state it's because I am training more frequently so I keep my workouts shorter so use more drop, super and giant sets to accumulate more working sets in a shorter time period but it's not that because my volume tends to still be high (or even higher). It's more because I prefer just doing straight sets when growing as my main aim is lifting as heavy as possible and I don't want to dig into the cns too much at that time. So that leaves cutting periods were I basically just destroy myself in the gym for fun and I enjoy doing intensity techniques such as drop sets. When I am alone it makes sense to use pin loaded machines but when using plate loaded I just get off fast and drop the plates myself.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131