over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Floor presses ?

tap

Registered
I saw these mentioned in the LBA'S thread and didnt want to hijack so anyway, breifly how are these done and are they easier on the shoulders than regular bench ?Thanks Tap

Thanks for the link , thats kind of what I thought it was.Do find these easier on the shoulders ?Also does it work pecs as well as regular bench ?

It's typicaly for powerlifting not bodybuilding. We use to do them when we were following Westside Barbell training theories. It goes along with board presses, using bands, chains, J-presses etc.

I used to do those years ago when i was a wee nipper and couldn't afford to buy a bench at home:D

CORRECTION

IT IS NOT A TRICEP EXERCISE NOR A POWERLIFTING EXCLUSIVE EXERCISE. IT IS A BODYBUILDING MOVEMENT THAT EVERYONE SHOULD DO IN PLACE OF TRADITIONAL BENCH PRESSES. IT IS A GREAT CHEST BUILDER (ISOLATOR) AND WILL SAVE YOUR ROTATOR CUFF.

IT IS NOT A TRICEP EXERCISE NOR A POWERLIFTING EXCLUSIVE EXERCISE. IT IS A BODYBUILDING MOVEMENT THAT EVERYONE SHOULD DO IN PLACE OF TRADITIONAL BENCH PRESSES. IT IS A GREAT CHEST BUILDER (ISOLATOR) AND WILL SAVE YOUR ROTATOR CUFF.

I agree 100% - it's probably my favorite chest builder.

I have pretty much abandoned the bench since I started training again, primarily because my shoulders feel so good without doing them. I do miss the exercise though.

Question: Would you do these in place of dumbells or in addition to flat dumbells?

Question: If I use the "Wedge" I bought from the back of Playboy magazine could I do inclines this way? (Not a real question)

Pekkerwood

I do these with dumbbells and they are my main chest exercise, besides dips.

They are useful especially if you cannot let the elbow drift past the 90 degree mark due to some sort of chest, shoulder, or bicep injury.

Its too bad these arent really doable on a smythe machine, it would really make for some mice progress, especially cuz it eliminates the need for a spotter. Anyone tried these on a smythe? I only do barbell smythe work for chest, because regular bench killed my shoulder so much, I'm not sure if I still have the control muscles to flat bench free weights correctly anymore LOL!

Looks good. I will have to give thse a try. I have seen them done but usually by the power crowd. Closing the press has aways been he hardest partof the lift for me.

Can be hard on biceps, especially with the closer grip, and/or elbows-in positioning.

Still a great exercise.

3 weeks of burning out chest with 3 ssets of pushups til exhaustion has made my chest twice as full, and I'm up 2 reps on my bench ... Floor presses are great with a chain or a log !

We used to do these similar type of lifts in college called towel bench. Its emphasis was strength, but aftering reading this I'm going to incorporate them back into my chest routine.

Thanks for all the input guys , I'll start these my next chest day.

thanks for the advice phil...i i did them today....got a pretty good pump from it

For me floor press has been an excercise for predominantly strengthen triceps and the mid-point of the bench. How much it takes into chest is a question of technique. In any case, its an excellent excercise.

According to Dave Tate; "Floor Press: This is a special max effort exercise designed to help strengthen the midpoint of the bench press. It is also very effective in increasing tricep strength. This exercise is performed exactly the same as the bench press except you lay on the ground instead of on a bench. Make sure to pause in the bottom of the movement before the accent. This exercise has been used with much success at westside barbell club for the past seven years."

http://www.criticalbench.com/floor-press.htm

Last edited:
MAYBE FOR A POWER MEET.........

BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER BRING YOUR ELBOWS BEHIND YOUR SHOULDER TOWARDS YOUR BACK. THIS OCCOURS WHEN YO UBRING THE BAR " ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE CHEST" ON A BENCH PRESS. THE PEC MAJOR IS NOT THE FOCUS AT THAT POINT, THE SHOULDER CUFF IS. IT IS INJURIOUS TO GO ANY LOWER THAN 1/2 WAY DOWN ON A TRADITIONAL BENCH PRESS. TRY IT AND TELL ME HOW MUCH MORE YOU FEEL THE CHEST IN THE MOVEMENT.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131