over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Heartbroken from injury

scrapper13

Kilo Klub Member
Hey guys I always dreamed of being a firefighter and took the test 2 times for my town, once when i was 19 and once this past spring(Im 29 now and the age limit is 30 so this was my last go at it). The time when I was younger I missed being hired by one number on the list. The test is comprised of a pass/fail written and then the rankings are based on a physical agility test. This time around I trained my ass off every day for 6 months. They gave a practice physical 6 weeks ago and my scores were the best of everyone taking it and would have given me the number one ranking. The actual test was scheduled for today, but one week ago i tore my hamstring on my final training workout and I can hardly walk, let alone sprint. Not only is it a 6 figure job, but it is something i really see myself being happy doing. I have worked construction the past 6 years and the atmosphere is miserable. That being said I know it could be worse, i could be terminally ill, but I am really heartbroken. Im having trouble coping with this any advice or good word would be appreciated.

Hey guys I always dreamed of being a firefighter and took the test 2 times for my town, once when i was 19 and once this past spring(Im 29 now and the age limit is 30 so this was my last go at it). The time when I was younger I missed being hired by one number on the list. The test is comprised of a pass/fail written and then the rankings are based on a physical agility test. This time around I trained my ass off every day for 6 months. They gave a practice physical 6 weeks ago and my scores were the best of everyone taking it and would have given me the number one ranking. The actual test was scheduled for today, but one week ago i tore my hamstring on my final training workout and I can hardly walk, let alone sprint. Not only is it a 6 figure job, but it is something i really see myself being happy doing. I have worked construction the past 6 years and the atmosphere is miserable. That being said I know it could be worse, i could be terminally ill, but I am really heartbroken. Im having trouble coping with this any advice or good word would be appreciated.
Torn hamstring. Aren't those great? Wow, I'm very sorry this happened but trust me, had this not happened, your first night, you'd have been trapped under rubble while you slowly cooked to death. It's like the flat tire you get on the expressway, only to spare up to pass a terrible accident 10 minutes down the road. You can never know why these things happen but try to imagine that the "what could have been" would have not been "all it could have been". Besides, you will heal and keep trying. This will probably not make you feel much better but that six figure sum would be nothing to getting your leg torn off in an elevator shaft.

Just keep positive, get back your momentum after you heal, and you'll be fine.

Hi Bro,

I know how you feel, I basically had the same thing happen to me, like ouch said you never know what could have happened if you were a firefighter, I know that will not help you feel any better now, I was told the exact same thing but at the time I was so pissed off I did not want to hear it, and I spent a few years being pissed at the world and god, hell I was at a point where I enjoyed violence more than sex, I would just say don't waste your time, emotions and energy like I did, I know it may be a stupid ass saying but try to make lemonade out of lemons bro, hell overall you sound healthy and be thankful for that, as my injury was fairly life changing when it comes to athletics, that hammy will heal bro just keep your mind healthy, if you are hating construction re-think your game plan to get out, I hope this finds you well brotha and maybe someone else will chime in with better insight than I can give, lol, good luck to ya and I wish you the best!

Hi Bro,

I know how you feel, I basically had the same thing happen to me, like ouch said you never know what could have happened if you were a firefighter, I know that will not help you feel any better now, I was told the exact same thing but at the time I was so pissed off I did not want to hear it, and I spent a few years being pissed at the world and god, hell I was at a point where I enjoyed violence more than sex, I would just say don't waste your time, emotions and energy like I did, I know it may be a stupid ass saying but try to make lemonade out of lemons bro, hell overall you sound healthy and be thankful for that, as my injury was fairly life changing when it comes to athletics, that hammy will heal bro just keep your mind healthy, if you are hating construction re-think your game plan to get out, I hope this finds you well brotha and maybe someone else will chime in with better insight than I can give, lol, good luck to ya and I wish you the best!

Hey man i really appreciate the kind words and well wishes. Again, I know my situation could be much worse the injury could be much more serious so I just keep telling myself that. I am thinking about saving some money and maybe going back to school. And also I am not trash talking construction, I just see the guys who have been doing it for 30 years, their bodies are shot they limp around, they are miserable and I don't want to become that. Thanks again for the replies its been 2 days and I am feeling better already.

Hey scrapper I feel your pain man. It sucks being denied something that you've wanted for a long time, especially due to something seemingly out of your control. Is there any way they can give you an age waiver considering how well you did on the practice test and the fact that you have an injury?

If not, I think you really already have your head right. You sound like you have your shit together so honestly I think the best thing for you is to relax for a little while and then re focus on something else.

Hey scrapper I feel your pain man. It sucks being denied something that you've wanted for a long time, especially due to something seemingly out of your control. Is there any way they can give you an age waiver considering how well you did on the practice test and the fact that you have an injury?

If not, I think you really already have your head right. You sound like you have your shit together so honestly I think the best thing for you is to relax for a little while and then re focus on something else.

Hey man that was the first thing I asked and they were very unsympathetic to my situation. 1500 people took the test so I am sure they are used to hearing bs stories all the time, so kinda cant blame them if they make an exception for one person they would have to do it for everyone. Been relaxing all week the doc said its a grade 2 strain(hammy strains are rated grade 1 to 3, 3 being a complete tear requiring surgery) Its gonna require 1-2 months of physical therapy before I can begin to think about any real physical activity.

Torn hamstring. Aren't those great? Wow, I'm very sorry this happened but trust me, had this not happened, your first night, you'd have been trapped under rubble while you slowly cooked to death. It's like the flat tire you get on the expressway, only to spare up to pass a terrible accident 10 minutes down the road. You can never know why these things happen but try to imagine that the "what could have been" would have not been "all it could have been". Besides, you will heal and keep trying. This will probably not make you feel much better but that six figure sum would be nothing to getting your leg torn off in an elevator shaft.

Just keep positive, get back your momentum after you heal, and you'll be fine.

Good post, and true. It isn't always clear why things happen the way they do and often the reason is something you'll never come to realize. I am going through a very difficult personal time as we speak so I'm not just saying these things, I do my best to believe it as well.

Complete heart breaker:(

When can you take the next test, or is it only held once a year? Sorry if you already posted this.

Never, im 29 and the max age is 30. test is given every 2 years

I just took the NYC written like a year ago. Same cutoff age here. Military time can be deducted thou.

That sucks man.

My only suggestion is this, since you did all of the necessary footwork to get the job, you believed to be, of your dreams and it did not go as you had planned well this is when you sit down in complete silence go within and ask the Doorkeeper, who will open up the lines of communication between you and spirit. Simple say please allow clear communication from Spirit and let me hear only that which is for me. Now say ok spirit what is it that you would have me do. What is your plan for me (God source spirit whatever you call your divinity) and what will give me the joy I want in a job and give me the financial success I desire. Praying is the key to receiving but it's all in how you pray. If your focus is on being a firefighter than first opening the communication lines and pray more like this, spirit allow me to experience being a firefighter....

Go within and ask for guidance such as:
Prayers:
“Please present me with that which is for my highest and greatest good” “Please help me be aware of that which is for my highest and greatest good” “Help me to be aware of that which is for me.”
Prayer:
“Please take this and do with it that which is for my highest good”

If you need assistance ask and I will assist you in any way I possibly can. Pax.

If the cut off is 30 you stil have a year to try to rehab, and retake it correct?

If the cut off is 30 you stil have a year to try to rehab, and retake it correct?

nope, the test is given every 2-4 years, depending on how many guys the city needs to hire, so the earliest the next would be I would be 31 years old.

Apply to other departments, consider out of state as an option also..I've had friends who worked for honolulu FD as well as LA and local small towns, all love their job...If you really want to do the whole FF thing you can't put all your hopes on one department, test everywhere you can as often as you can.. Screw every two years bro, you would have been hired by now if you blasted every dept in your state... when it comes down to it its the job not the dept... big city depts have their pluses as well as small town depts...check out publicsafetytesting.com as well may have something for ya in your area...Rethink your goals, passions, what moves you, what is it about being a FF that calls to you, and how to get there? Consider other options in similar field, Paramedic maybe? How about healthcare... Like hmmmmm, I hear RN is a very rewarding, challenging, fulfilling career... Or, xray tech, diagnostic imaging tech, respiratory therapist, CT tech, etc ultrasonography, etc...

Take the physical anyway, wrap your leg up, tight compression shorts, pain meds, whatever...drive thru that shit. I'm a FF...it's worth it. Don't quit!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws