over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Higher fats -- WITH carbs

jrock00123

Registered
Most of the high(er) fat discussions revolve around very low carb intake and perhaps the correct amount of protein vs fat. Who has used a moderate fat / moderate carb diet with success? Is this one of those things that really only works when you go very low carb? I'd like to hear from those who have actually done this. Let's limit the discussion of keto pros & cons. There are plenty of threads on that topic. I'd like to focus on higher fats while still eating low / moderate carbs.

I'm only in the planning stages, but next month I may try: 250gm carb, 285gm pro, 115gm fat. This is a ratio of 32c/36p/32f -- almost isocaloric. Total calorie wise this is very close to my current diet of 285 carb, 340 pro, 75 fat (36c/43p/22f).

Note: I count all macros including carbs from veggies, protein in rice, fat in oats, etc. Everything listed in the nutrition facts gets loaded into my spreadsheet.

I've tried both high carb low fat, low fat high carb, and a mix depending on training (best results for me).

With high carb low fat: Full, great pumps, fat starting accumulating rather fast.

High fat low carb: Somewhat full, decent pumps, fat didn't creep up as fast but if calories are high, it happened as well.

High carbs low fat on training days, and low carb high fats on non-training days: Great pumps and fullness on days that I trained as well as off days, and fat didn't accumulate as fast, calories were also higher on training days. Both carbs and fats give you fullness to the muscle, alternating them on various days gave me the best of both.

Protein was 290-330 grams on all days.

Just my experience.

When i was more active I started to lower my carbs and add in fat... no difference really, just better tasting food and easier to eat

Iirc 250p/600c/250f

go slow carb and you'll have no worries.
beans of all kinds, lentils, yams. dairy. all low GI and GL.
carbs aint your enemy.

When i was more active I started to lower my carbs and add in fat... no difference really, just better tasting food and easier to eat

Iirc 250p/600c/250f

Wow! That's 5,650 kcal. With that kind of metabolism I don't it matters what you eat.

Unfortunately, we're very different on that front.

Nothing to do with metabolism

Like I said I was active then... similar shape to my avatar
Ran daily along with weight training.. lots of steps
Now I maintain on around 4100

I've tried both high carb low fat, low fat high carb, and a mix depending on training (best results for me).

With high carb low fat: Full, great pumps, fat starting accumulating rather fast.

High fat low carb: Somewhat full, decent pumps, fat didn't creep up as fast but if calories are high, it happened as well.

High carbs low fat on training days, and low carb high fats on non-training days: Great pumps and fullness on days that I trained as well as off days, and fat didn't accumulate as fast, calories were also higher on training days. Both carbs and fats give you fullness to the muscle, alternating them on various days gave me the best of both.

Protein was 290-330 grams on all days.

Just my experience.

This is interesting. I planned on bringing carbs down to about 70gm on non-training days, but was not going to cycle fat or protein. I'll have to consider this.

Ya depending upon how quick you transition, you may habe issues at first

Dropping carbs, many get cravings, yet fats MAY allow a slower trickle of bg die to digestion rate lowering...
Another thing is you may be glued to the toilet at first lol

Just ease into it, adjust, reassess, adjust again. Give it a week at a time

Current diet macros

Training: 140 fat, 550 carb, 350 protein
Non-Training: 260 fat, 80 carb, 350 protein

Training days, majority of carbs are taking pre and post.

Morning = 80 carbs
Pre-workout = 175 carbs
Post-workout = 200 carbs
Post-post = 80 carbs

Prior to this set up, I was on similar macros, but was doing carbs every single meal. I have noticed my waist has stayed smaller/tigher and insulin sensitivity is staying high.

Current diet macros

Training: 140 fat, 550 carb, 350 protein
Non-Training: 260 fat, 80 carb, 350 protein

Training days, majority of carbs are taking pre and post.

Morning = 80 carbs
Pre-workout = 175 carbs
Post-workout = 200 carbs
Post-post = 80 carbs

Prior to this set up, I was on similar macros, but was doing carbs every single meal. I have noticed my waist has stayed smaller/tigher and insulin sensitivity is staying high.

This is very helpful Thanks. The results you're describing are exactly what I was hoping for.

I've been experimenting with high carbs around workout times and fats at the other meals throughout the day.

Pre workout meal contains aprox 100g carbs, 50g protein
Intra shake has 30g carbs+ aminos
Post workout meal is 50-60g protein and 80-100g carbs

Rest of the meals for the day contain 40-50g protein, 15-20g fat and veggies.

Total cals for the day end up at aprox 2500-3000 calories.

On non training days its usually just fats and protein up to 2500 cals.

Protein is always at 250-300g

I see some people love their carbs lol.. I try to limit my carbs to before and after lifting. So on days I lift I'll have around 150g of carbs and on off days I'll have 100g or below, preferably below. 300g of protein every day and fats from mac oil, peanut butter etc..

Nothing to do with metabolism

Like I said I was active then... similar shape to my avatar
Ran daily along with weight training.. lots of steps
Now I maintain on around 4100

Height/weight?

600g carbs.... You look pretty lean as well.... Sorry but I would wager you have a much faster metabolism than the VAST majority of people

Your going to ask me about the amount of carbs when I was on the lower end lol

I ran 900-950 for 6 months at one point. And weight doesn't really matter I say I was 190-195 at that period of time and other will say I'm 160 so your pic

Like right now I'm working with john pinder. He suggested 5k, 250p/600c/175f

But that's about 900 cals over my maintenance... rather not pork up too bad, so going with 250/525/150 and running that for a bit till I stall
And stats for now 197, 12% on the dexa likely
Calipers put me at 8 on a 9 point test

Last edited:
arent you with shelby????

Until the end of this month. Like I said in the OP, just planning stages. Looking to experiment a little and can switch back to the higher carb / low fat at any time if I doesn't work. I have a window between April and May to play a little before getting serious for the summer.

I've been experimenting with high carbs around workout times and fats at the other meals throughout the day.

Pre workout meal contains aprox 100g carbs, 50g protein

Intra shake has 30g carbs+ aminos

Post workout meal is 50-60g protein and 80-100g carbs

Rest of the meals for the day contain 40-50g protein, 15-20g fat and veggies.

Total cals for the day end up at aprox 2500-3000 calories.

On non training days its usually just fats and protein up to 2500 cals.

Protein is always at 250-300g

I think this is similar to what I'm currently eating. Doesn't put your daily fats under 100gm?

I see some people love their carbs lol.. I try to limit my carbs to before and after lifting. So on days I lift I'll have around 150g of carbs and on off days I'll have 100g or below, preferably below. 300g of protein every day and fats from mac oil, peanut butter etc..

I'm like you man. I never eat more than 200g carbs a day, when I'm on a serious bulk 300g max. I feel like I'm getting fat just reading this thread talking about 500+g of carbs and 100+g of fat jesus. A gram of test sitting at 10% 190lbs right now honestly I will start getting fat eating over 2800 calories a day. And I do 30 mins of cardio 7 days a week, 1hr lift 6 days a week.

Like right now I'm working with john pinder. He suggested 5k, 250p/600c/175f

But that's about 900 cals over my maintenance... rather not pork up too bad, so going with 250/525/150 and running that for a bit till I stall
And stats for now 197, 12% on the dexa likely
Calipers put me at 8 on a 9 point test

What kinda supps/gear you running on all this?

I would be sloppy fat in 2 weeks.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner