over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much can you gain naturaly in a year

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've got a younger guy at my gym that wanting to add some size , he trains hard and is very dedicated but is completely clueless as to diet and sups. He is 23yrs old 6'5" and 200-ish lbs maybe 15% BF ,he was training every body part 3-4 times a week , only getting maybe 200grams of protien a day from shakes and a little food but almost totaly releying on the powder for his protien.

He "decided" that his only other option was steriods and has got some realy bad ideas about how to use them.

He asked me a few days back about what i was doing to get so big so fast , i explained that i was actualy getting smaller but the reduced fat gives the appearance of added size. He mentioned that he rarely sees me work a body part more than 2 every 3-4 days.
we disscussed his training and he has backed down some , he is using a better protien powder and has added creatine and glutimine to his diet , I'm trying to explain that he needs real food as much as he can , his protine is up to about 350grams a day.

So my question is this , with a proper diet and training schedual along with good OTC sups home much quality muscle can a person add in a year? I'm thinking 12-15lbs of lean mass should be doable but thats alot.

what would be a good Macro layout for a "bulking diet" I'd hate to see the guy eat 5000 cals of shit and get fat with little to no keepable gains and i certainly don't want his getting on gear when its realy not needed

The max NATTY someone can gain in terms of lean muscle tissue is 25.6lbs from what I remember. Layne Norton laid it out for me one time, but I couldn't find on my comp where he said it. Of course that is very hard to do and you're gonna have to figure that the gains made in a year natty will be 1/3 lean muscle, 1/3 water, and 1/3 fat/glycogen. So that would mean that you could gain more than 25lbs, but it's going to be more than just lean tissue. So if you've gained 12lbs and stayed around the same body fat it'll be 4lbs of lean muscle gained hypothetically.

While I respect Layne Norton, there are so many variables that come into play, genetics being a huge factor. You really cant specify a set amount for an individual. It is very generous of you to help the kid out. Props to you, I love seing people in the gym helping eachother. I think the best advice you could give is LIFT HEAVY, stay consistent, dont miss meals, and get a balanced diet in. He is relatively new to the scene so gains should come quickly and this will keep him motivated, its what happens after things start to slow down when you will find out how truely dedicated he is. In simplest terms, tell him not to worry about scale wgt, just keep pounding the iron and the food, be patient and the rest will follow....

As far as diet goes, find both a caloric and macro level that suits him (this will take some experimenting and time). He should be able to continue to lean out and gain at the same time if he can find what works for him. Natural or not.... I do well with high protein, moderate-low carbs and moderate to high fats. Different strokes for diffent folks tho.... good luck to him

Last edited:
I gained 25 pounds after my first year of lifting. Remember, newb gains are the best gains. As w8t has said, there are too many variables to determine how many pounds someone will add after a year of lifting.

When I was a teen I went from 139 to 189lb very lean, in less than a year.No difference in height.So all really depends on where your at and what your doing.

Depends on how newbie, but first year....Shoot, one of my best bro's weighs in at 189 3 days ago........put up 405 with no shirt or even the anticipation of doing so(max)...he was just doing some curls to end his training routine or something and saw the two other dudes he trains with occasionally and got slightly suckered in to max out it sounds....

Anyways, this was a guy that weighed under 165 at 5'11" OR 5'10"....We were fugging around in the parking lot at work and he was at a full srpint...I just stopped and braced for the hit....My good friend went flying back and I felt much of nothing at 225lbs or so lol....

Anyways, to make way to long of a story short, the guy is natural(I know) and he gained about 20-30lbs. from that point on with in a year to a year and a half(can't remember)....He's been up at almost 2 hundo and that's natty except for creatine and synthepure. Once he read our board here at ProfessionalMuscle(on my account) about Big A's thread on the secret about consistency, he's been all about it....He's young, 24 yrs. old, prob. over trains(prob.6-7days training)....before he just played base-ball and was pretty damn athletic....So, I was going to answer the question but anything is possible.... my buddy eat's the same thing every, every day(I know cause I work with him from 4am and then after that he either trains with me or cruz's over to my new place to eat his usual.

I'm no expert, but depending on the person 20lbs. in a year is a goal worth eating/training for....no doubt for natty...This is just my exp. from seeing a close natural friend develop, prob. in his prime...I can't say for sure except that he took zero ProHormones or any AAS for that matter.

Last edited:
I have been lifting for about three years. I sould say playing with weights. A year ago I really changed things up with a proper diet and better workouts.

With the help of some mags and these boards I have been able to refine it even more. In January I upped my protein from 250 to 350 and lowered my fats and carbs. I had to lower the carbs because im still overweight, 7-7-08 I weighted 348 today im 280 at 6'2".

Anyways In January I had a lean body mass of 202, two weeks ago I had everything rechecked and lean body mass was 224. 22lbs in six months, I have switched to training 4 days a week from 6 and have seen some good improvements already.

In terms of lean tissue, dry muscle mass... a half pound a month average, non-optimal conditions. So 6lbs a year. Keep in mind as others have said that this equates to roughly 15lbs or so of LBM due to water and glycogen.

This is based on actual scientific research that I've read, this is not anecdotal.

In terms of lean tissue, dry muscle mass... a half pound a month average, non-optimal conditions. So 6lbs a year. Keep in mind as others have said that this equates to roughly 15lbs or so of LBM due to water and glycogen.

This is based on actual scientific research that I've read, this is not anecdotal.

I guess my main question here is: What were "non-optimal conditions"
Not trying to be a dick but my bud can gain around 20-30 it seems the first time around and natty....I can gain almost 50-70 if I want at any point in time(these lbs. could be bad one's lol) that's wit zero gear and a give/take for me..........

Ask Dante.....;)

I gained about 12-15 pounds a year after my senior year in high school. I quit running so much and focused mainly on lifting. Running a lot of miles a week and then lifting, then playing sports, my calories were being burnt up fast!

This was eating 5-6 full meals a day, much more than I eat now. My parents were spending more on me than between them and my sister!

This was back when I knew nothing of nutrition, supplements, etc. Just "eat big, get big". *shrugs* Worked. My bodyfat stayed the same.

I have a couple friends who put on 20+ lbs last year from eating pretty good and lots of protein. We were all going "damn, why didn't we do this in high school!?". Even had one drop from 340lbs of pure fatass to just over 200lbs and ripped to shreds in about 18 months. From Jan to now, he's up 25lbs already and still looks awesome. We're going to train together when I move and see what we can do with him. Dude is a freak in the strength department too.

Last edited:
in my first 3 years lifting i wet from 160-200lbs and lost a small % of BF along the way

When I was a teen I went from 139 to 189lb very lean, in less than a year.No difference in height.So all really depends on where your at and what your doing.

yeah I started lifting serious at age 15 at a bodyweight of 140 lbs at 6 foot tall! By the time I graduated high school i was still only 6 foot tall but weighed an even leaner 190 lbs. So I put on about 50 lbs in 3 years, or the equivalent of 17 lbs/year. I didnt eat very well either!

Im seeing an average of about 15 lbs/yr or so. Didnt look real careful, so might be off!

Depends on how newbie, but first year....Shoot, one of my best bro's weighs in at 189 3 days ago........put up 405 with no shirt or even the anticipation of doing so(max)...he was just doing some curls to end his training routine or something and saw the two other dudes he trains with occasionally and got slightly suckered in to max out it sounds....

Anyways, this was a guy that weighed under 165 at 5'11" OR 5'10"....We were fugging around in the parking lot at work and he was at a full srpint...I just stopped and braced for the hit....My good friend went flying back and I felt much of nothing at 225lbs or so lol....

Anyways, to make way to long of a story short, the guy is natural(I know) and he gained about 20-30lbs. from that point on with in a year to a year and a half(can't remember)....He's been up at almost 2 hundo and that's natty except for creatine and synthepure. Once he read our board here at ProfessionalMuscle(on my account) about Big A's thread on the secret about consistency, he's been all about it....He's young, 24 yrs. old, prob. over trains(prob.6-7days training)....before he just played base-ball and was pretty damn athletic....So, I was going to answer the question but anything is possible.... my buddy eat's the same thing every, every day(I know cause I work with him from 4am and then after that he either trains with me or cruz's over to my new place to eat his usual.

I'm no expert, but depending on the person 20lbs. in a year is a goal worth eating/training for....no doubt for natty...This is just my exp. from seeing a close natural friend develop, prob. in his prime...I can't say for sure except that he took zero ProHormones or any AAS for that matter.

Wait your saying that after a year of lifting he can max bench press 405? If so then that's hard to believe, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Wait your saying that after a year of lifting he can max bench press 405? If so then that's hard to believe, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Not real hard to believe, except for the fact that he only weighs about 200 lbs. My roomate my sophomore year at college was benching about 450 lbs or so when he graduated high school, but he weighed about 250 lbs or so.

Not real hard to believe, except for the fact that he only weighs about 200 lbs. My roomate my sophomore year at college was benching about 450 lbs or so when he graduated high school, but he weighed about 250 lbs or so.

Was your room mate only lifting for a year? I know some guys are naturally strong to begin with but it blows my mind that someone can bench that much within a course of a year of lifting.

Was your room mate only lifting for a year? I know some guys are naturally strong to begin with but it blows my mind that someone can bench that much within a course of a year of lifting.

That I cannot say for sure. What I can say for sure is that he wasnt even serious lifting. He was on the football team and only lifted what they made him do! He did not have a hardcore training regime, unless what they do in football is hardcore. I have no experience with that so I cannot say. He probably started lifting in high school when he started football, and I would assume it was his freshman year. He was decent since he played at the University. Same place the Rothlisberger played, only many years earlier!

When you're in High School you are on an entirely different scale in terms of anabolic natural hormones!!! Honestly, do you want to fuck anything that moves like you did back then these days??? All bets are off when you are 15-16 years old. You can gain like crazy.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws