over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much weight do you move in pullups?

SacToSD

Registered
I'm curious about something, I was trying to find out how much you guys do in weighted pullups? I've been feeling pretty good lately doing body weight (210) + 45 pounds for 10. This is the most I've ever done, but I don't see the impressive lat spreads on yours truly as I see on some weaker pullup guys at the gym. This is to say that pullups are the best judge of this, but I'm just curious. I know that arms have something to do with it, too, but I don't have super huge biceps, either. Plenty strong, yeah, but not over 16.5" (I know, go ahead and laugh... this forum is for aspiring bodybuilders too, yeah?)

a bodyweight of 220 lbs plus a 45 lb plate for 3 sets of 10 or 1 rep-pause set does it for me.

I use a reverse-grip (palms up) and try to keep my sternum pointed at the bar.

Body weight is 285lbs so thats all i do . 3 sets of 10 reps . I try to do them as slow and controlled as possible .

I prefer rack chins...allows a much more controlled negative with a better contraction at the top. You are able to lean back into the stretch more at the bottom as well which I feel is a key component to a big lat spread (ie check out Dusty Hanshaws back...thats a DC back for sure!). I normally do those with around 80lbs of added weight in my lap....

Try this

I'm curious about something, I was trying to find out how much you guys do in weighted pullups? I've been feeling pretty good lately doing body weight (210) + 45 pounds for 10. This is the most I've ever done, but I don't see the impressive lat spreads on yours truly as I see on some weaker pullup guys at the gym. This is to say that pullups are the best judge of this, but I'm just curious. I know that arms have something to do with it, too, but I don't have super huge biceps, either. Plenty strong, yeah, but not over 16.5" (I know, go ahead and laugh... this forum is for aspiring bodybuilders too, yeah?)

Try the movement with just an imaginary bar just standing. Imagine yourself doing the movement. Put your arms in the pullup position, fists just outside your shoulders. Through your elbows, evenly pull your chest through the space created between your fists at the end of the movement thrust your chest out and squeeze your upper back muscles into your spine. Imagine you are trying to hold a quarter in place on your spine with your upper back muscles. Perfect this movement and form and then try it with out weights. Perfect that and then add the weights without compromising the form. You will know you are doing this right when you feel a pump in your back.

Body weight is 285lbs so thats all i do . 3 sets of 10 reps . I try to do them as slow and controlled as possible .

Thats beastly

I weigh 160 and use anywhere from 90-120lb. sets of 5-10

Weight of about 185-190 for 3 or 4 sets of 10 reps.

Phil's posts were the ones that got me moving away from lat pull downs and towards chin/pull ups (whatever palms facing out is). Now I am starting to think it is time to try and add some weight. :D

I weigh only 175, but I am doing 20 pullups max with full lockouts. then usually 2 more sets of 10.

When at 220s a 45pnd plate for 10. When at 260+ only my bodyweight for 10.

SacToSD,

I was my strongest in the chinning movement
with a parallel grip, palms facing each other,
24" apart.

At a gym I once belonged to, where I was good
friends with the owner, I was able to add to and
modify some of the equipment to suit my needs.
It was here that I built and installed a set of parallel
grips that slipped over the chin up bar and then
bolted in place to prevent movement.

Eventually, I got was able to do 8 repetitions with
110 lbs around my waist, using a parallel grip,
and chinning behind the neck, as opposed to 80
or 90 lbs with a palms facing grip to the chest.
All in perfect form.

And all this at a bodyweight of about 157.

At that point in time, I was exercising my back
body part three times per week, with just a few,
very hard sets per movement.

There are some recent back shots of me somewhere
on this board. My back has always responded
favorably to exercise, any back exercise, and have
always been fairly strong in that area. Even when I
was very young, before I started working out, I could
perform about twenty bodyweight chin-ups with not
much of a problem. Just wired that way I guess.

Hope this helps.

Always a good post, alfresco. Sounds like you've got an awesome back. Sometimes I feel the same way, at least in the way that my back seems stronger than my chest (for pullups, anyways... rows I'm about the same weight for bench press). I remember being in junior high and not being able to squeak out a pullup. Then I started doing them about 10 years ago, went from 4 or so up to 10, then up to 18, added weight and so on. You know what's funny is that I'm still afraid to do pullups because I feel like I'm not good at them, and that's a feeling that comes from feeling like that for years. Now I'm working to overcome it. The mind needs a workout too, I suppose. Now for my chest. God knows how I'm going to get over that one. One step at a time.

This morning I did a Rest Pause set to thirty with a 27.5 lb DB and a bodyweight of 304.8 lbs. 27.5x17x9x6

90lbs x 11 @ 176 pounds.

But i am going to try and follow Aeliops advice and tighten up my form.

I prefer rack chins...allows a much more controlled negative with a better contraction at the top. You are able to lean back into the stretch more at the bottom as well which I feel is a key component to a big lat spread (ie check out Dusty Hanshaws back...thats a DC back for sure!). I normally do those with around 80lbs of added weight in my lap....

Thanks for the kind words and I also have to add that you are 100% correct in giving credit to my back width to rack chins. I used to think that pull ups were the cream of the crop for back thickness but I now understand that they are a distant second to rack chins.

Phil's posts were the ones that got me moving away from lat pull downs and towards chin/pull ups (whatever palms facing out is). Now I am starting to think it is time to try and add some weight. :D

I thought i read him post somewhere that he wasnt a fan because they were a good way to tear a bicep tendon? I may be wrong however, but after reading that I stopped doing them (last thing i need is another injury).

SAME AS YOU 207LB AND ADD A 45 PLATE FOR 10REPS.

Thanks for the kind words and I also have to add that you are 100% correct in giving credit to my back width to rack chins. I used to think that pull ups were the cream of the crop for back thickness but I now understand that they are a distant second to rack chins.

CRAZY NUMBERS BRO.

I CAN NEVER BALANCE WEIGHT ACROSS LEGS ON RACK CHINS.

HOWS EVERYONE DOING THIS:confused:

CRAZY NUMBERS BRO.

I CAN NEVER BALANCE WEIGHT ACROSS LEGS ON RACK CHINS.

HOWS EVERYONE DOING THIS:confused:

I'm lucky enough to have a training partner that tosses an EZ bar across my lap. We just use 25's and smaller so that the weight doesn't hit the ground at the bottom.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131