advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

In bodybuilding, what is the most important?

In bodybuilding, what is the most important?

• Genetics

Votes: 232 50.0%
  • Diet

Votes: 165 35.6%
  • Training

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • Anabolic Steroids

Votes: 44 9.5%

• Total voters

alfresco

Featured Member / Kilo Klub Member
Staff member
Super Moderators
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
VOTE FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT COMPONENT IN BODYBUILDING.

1. Genetics
2. Diet
3. Training
4. Anabolic Steroids

I think we all know what the outcome will be but I just thought this would be fun to do, see what the
outliers are and what the members have to say.

There are many factors that play a part in what it takes to be a professional bodybuilder. But for the purposes
of this poll, lets restrict your pick to the most important factor influencing your appearance, how you look.
Not handsomeness, not strength, not speed, not agility or any so called athletic ability.

For purposes of simplicity, I have limited then to four different categories. I'm sure there are more and indeed
sub-factors within each of these four, but lets start here.

It just so happens that how I have listed them above is the way I would to rate them. Misinformed in some
places I'm sure.

My rambling opinions if you don't mind . . .

Genetics. Nothing, and everything, is possible if you have, or don't have, the "right" genetics. All the training, dieting,
and steroid use will not make you into a professional bodybuilder if you do not have the right genetics. Improve
yes; we all can improve. But to reside in the professional ranks, you must be a genetic freak. I don't mean
freak in a bad or derogatory way. Michael Jordan was a genetic freak. Tiger Woods, Picasso, Shakespeare,
Mozart, Michelangelo; all had or have a superior, freaky genetic superiority in their chosen field. You just can't
inhabit that rarefied air without it.

We all know that genetics in bodybuilding determine how your muscle is shaped and consequently how it will
eventually look when fully developed. Nothing can change that: where your muscles insert, your muscle length,
number of muscle fibers and fiber type, joint size, head size (yes, this effects how you look, think Sergio) body
part ratios, how your body metabolizes nutrients and steroids, how and where it stores fat, etc . . . Could go on
and on but won't. These factors are not subject to any meaningful change.

Diet. Under your direct control, I think that diet is the single most important factor in how you look and feel.
It realizes the efforts you put into training and provides the anabolic environment for growth that should or will
occur if these needs are met. Though diet is highly individual, there are some unavoidable constants. It may
also be the most difficult of these factors to understand and manipulate, but it can be done. We have all seen
incredible transformations by diet alone.

But diet and dieting is not that easy, if it was, then every bodybuilder, every time, would come into competition
in perfect condition. And the reality of the situation is that it just isn't so. Even the pros can't, or do not,
nail their diet every single time. And these guys are getting paid, have nothing else to do but focus all their
efforts on how they look. That is always the big "if" come contest time. We know they have the muscle,
let's see it at it's best. I'm talking about condition through diet here, not through cardiovascular training which is
another topic as some are able to get into incredible condition without large amounts of it.

Training. We all train hard. If it were just training then the stages around the world would be littered with
monsters. The gyms are full of people that train hard, very hard, brutally hard. Perhaps too hard or too often
since overtraining, in my opinion, is as much if not a far larger problem / factor then under training.
Find what routine works best for you, continue to get stronger while using a variety of basic exercise and do what
you can to avoid and prevent injuries.

Anabolic steroids. If I know anything at all, I know the least about this subject. First to admit. Though anabolic
steroids, including testosterone, in all their verifiable varieties and mixtures are undeniably effective, but they
must used in conjunction with adequate diet and proper exercise; i.e., if just taking a shot or swallowing a pill would
make you a superman, there would be a lot more supermen walking around, but there just aren't. (Countries were
steroids are available over the counter is a case in point.)

Their general anabolic effects and adverse side effects are well known but can be individualistic as witnessed
by the endless variety of questions and answers given by the users on this board. It is clearly established that
they work but their ultimate effectiveness will be determined by your genetics, and to a lesser, though important
part, by your diet and training.

Thank you for listening and participating.

(Photograph courtesy Inge Cook)

Attachments

• Oliva.jpg
    Oliva.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 2,927
Last edited:
I think you need to have some of all 4. #1 Of course is out of our control.
The guys I see year after year making the best improvements are the ones that can get # 2 Down.

When most bb'ers were saying things like "BB is 85% nutrition" etc,Dorian Yates would say, it is "100% training,100% Nutrition,100% genetics and 100% sleep/recovery."

I voted for genetics. After witnessing what is possible for those who are truly genetically gifted, I believe that the other variables are secondary.

Some people will be bigger than the rest regardless of diet, training, and drug regimens. I mean this with the assumption that there is some effort made toward training and diet for growth.

Maybe this view is too simplistic.

Without discipline, genetics are wasted in regards to being successful competitively.

For those who aren't genetically gifted, all the other variables become significantly more important to the possibility of success.

just looking at the pic above should have you clicking #1

Oliva didnt even diet for some of his earlier shows and he won anyway
He didnt do any isolation training either in his early years, all he did was squat bench deadlift, and yet he had all that detail.

Well who's more likely to get on stage at Mr.O?

A puny white guy with terrible genetics who trains his ass off for 10 years with perfect diet and the best physical coaches and as much anadrol/test as he can swallow...

OR

Dexter Jackson/Phil Heath, never having touched a gram of gear?

1/ Motivation
2/ Genetics
3/ Patience / Dedication
4/ Drugs
5/ Nutrition
6/ Training

genetics;

Paul Dillet never trained hard a day in his life.

Kevin Levrone trained 6 months and partied the other 6 never going near a gym.

Coleman walked into the gym one day debating about lifting weights. The owner looked at him and said you could be Mr Olympia one day. Ronnie had never lifted a weight in his life. The rest is history.

I worked as a corrections officer for years, I saw guys come in and get cleaned up from booze and drugs. They sat around eating shitty food and watching TV. No push ups no weights nothing. After a few months they could have given me a run at the state title!

Not trying to be a buzz kill but we all have seen it. For those of us that have trained our asses into the ground, ate right, supplements the whole 9 yards, it's a huge bummer.:(

genetics;

Paul Dillet never trained hard a day in his life.

Kevin Levrone trained 6 months and partied the other 6 never going near a gym.

Coleman walked into the gym one day debating about lifting weights. The owner looked at him and said you could be Mr Olympia one day. Ronnie had never lifted a weight in his life. The rest is history.

I worked as a corrections officer for years, I saw guys come in and get cleaned up from booze and drugs. They sat around eating shitty food and watching TV. No push ups no weights nothing. After a few months they could have given me a run at the state title!

Not trying to be a buzz kill but we all have seen it. For those of us that have trained our asses into the ground, ate right, supplements the whole 9 yards, it's a huge bummer.:(

of course

with all the motivation in the world, a chicken cannot become an eagle

After reading some posts, a NBA basketball star from Indiana comes to mind.
According to sources, he had no athletic gifts, was clumsy, and slow. Yet he trained, practiced, trained, practiced, believed, used his mind, etc.

His name is Bill Walton.

Genetics #1

But with without diet, training, & ASS. Genetics don't mean shit.

Just ask Dexter Jackson, especially when he was 147 lbs.

Diet and training equally.
Genetics is last.
Not all great bodybuilders are genetically gifted. Rich Gaspari wasn't. And neither was Dexter Jackson. He was around 140 at his first show. How would he know he was genetically gifted.
If your a lightweight right now, how do you know what your potential is. Many just say they train hard and never get big. I am a lightweight and I'm 41. But my body looks amazing compared to when I was 21. I'm still getting stronger and bigger and leaner. Is it genetics? Or is it my desire and dedication to build an amazing body?

Desire and dedication is the #1 most important component in bodybuilding. Diet and training is #2. Genetics is #3. Steroids are last.

Anyone who says they are busting their ass in the gym and not making gains cannot blame it on genetics! Its a cop out!
It takes a desire and dedication to do all of the things it takes to build a body. Not just 3 days in the gym working out hard and eating a lot of food and juicing up.
Even little adjustments on your technique can produce gains when it seemed impossible before. A simple change in diet can make all the difference in the world to your phisique.
Too many factors to just say genetics. No one knows their genetic potential and you don't have to be Mr O to be a good bodybuilder.

of course

with all the motivation in the world, a chicken cannot become an eagle

But what if that Chicken was On Steroids and HGH :p
But then again Imagine if the eagle was On :eek:

ALL MATTER.. BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT IS CONSISTANCY....

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws