over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Jones sentenced to six months in prison

da-sol

Registered
**broken link removed**

WHITE PLAINS, New York (AP) - Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite beseeching the judge that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time."

"I ask you to be as merciful as a human being can be," said Jones, who cried on her husband's shoulder after she was sentenced.

Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison. ( / Associated Press)

The disgraced former Olympic champion was ordered to surrender March 11 to begin her term.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas said he gave her the maximum under her plea deal to send a message to athletes who have abused drugs and overlooked the values of "hard work, dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship."

"Athletes in society have an elevated status, they entertain, they inspire, and perhaps, most important, they serve as role models," Karas said.

Later Friday, Karas was to sentence Jones' former coach, Olympic champion Steve Riddick, who was convicted in the check-fraud scam.

The 31-year-old Jones also was given two years' probation and supervised release, during which she will be required to perform 800 hours of community service.

The judge said this would take advantage of Jones' "eloquence, strength and her ability to work with kids."

It was her children that worried Jones as she pleaded for a lighter sentence, talking at length about her two boys, including the infant son she's still nursing.

Must-read:

Rosen: 'Sheed delivers for Pistons

Whitlock: 'Lynch' quip worse than Imus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Must-see:
Aussie Open preview

Schein: Saturday's NFL picks
For more videos, click here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Must-know:
Knoblauch on the Mitchell Report
For all of today's rumors, click here.
Top headlines:
Marion Jones sentenced to 6 months

Ex-skating champ found dead

Majerus' Billikens set new low
For all of today's top stories, click here.
Worth a thousand words:
Life and times of Edmund Hillary

Photos from the BCS title game
For more photos, click here.

"My passion in life has always been my family," Jones said. "I know the day is quickly approaching when my boys ask me about these current events. I intend to be honest and forthright ... and guide them into not making the same mistakes."

The sentence completes a stunning fall for the woman who was once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She won three gold and two bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

After long denying she ever had used performance-enhancing drugs, Jones admitted last October she lied to federal investigators in November 2003, acknowledging she took the designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001. "The clear" has been linked to BALCO, the lab at the center of the steroids scandal in professional sports.

She also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son Monty, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks. Montgomery and several others have been convicted in that scam.

"The revelation that one of the sport's biggest stars took performance-enhancing drugs and repeatedly lied about it, in addition to being a party to fraud, has no silver lining," USA Track & Field president Bill Roe and CEO Craig Masback said in a statement. "But, it is a vivid morality play that graphically illustrates the wages of cheating in any facet of life, on or off the track."

After her guilty pleas last October, Jones made an apologetic and teary-eyed statement outside court, saying, "It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust."

"I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me," she added. "I have let (my family) down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down. ... I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

Jones returned her Olympic medals - golds in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 1,600-meter relay and bronzes in the long jump and 400-meter relay - even before the International Olympic Committee ordered her to do so and wiped her results from the books.

Jones was among the many athletes who testified in 2003 before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative.

On the day she pleaded guilty, prosecutors said a 2003 search warrant at BALCO uncovered ledgers, purchases, doping calendars, and various blood-test results connected to Jones and former coach Trevor Graham.

She took EPO, human growth hormone and THG using drops and injections, according to the court documents that show use in 2000 and 2001.

Wait,,, so lying is against the law??? I thought that was what lawyers get paid for and politicians were famous for.

trust me, she was sentenced the 6 months mainly for the millions she bilked in the check fraud scam.. the judge was trying to get "moral points" for saying she was sentenced for the lying about steroid use.. if that is the case, we now know our goverment will sentence you for cheating in sports.. I CAN SAY THIS ENOUGH.. IT IS SPORTS.. IT IS ENTERTAINMENT.. IT IS NOT REAL LIFE.. it is not iraq.. it is not a failed educational system.. IT IS SPORT.. only the idiots in the congress believe that sports are "life"..

I saw this in the news and was like WTF? She never got caught in posession or anything, never fasiled a dope test and she gets six months because she said she used?????? NO proof, no evidence, nada!!

Lats I hear ya about the fraud deal but to sentence her on the basis that she mislead???? Then sentence her acordingly to the check fraud scam and leave the gear out of it.

Gee i am going to sleep a hell of a lot better knowing they have removed that hard core criminal from the streets:rolleyes: :confused:

I fell so sorry for her! Fuck Ben Johnson gets caught red handed and he does not do any time????? Other athletes fail a drug test and just get the boot, no time....................Sorry I'm just in a bad mood today!!!:mad:

just shows you what a f--ked place we live in. they knocked the wall down in east berlin so they could rebuild it here.

You have to love Marion regardless of what. She is a true sweetheart, who simply got caught and caught up in the b.s. Next time she should lie like everyone else. She was one of the best ever regardless of any "performance enhancement" usage. The check scandal...thanks to her hubby; that is what love wil get you. Sometimes we love a person to a blind fault.

Her lawyer must have been weak as heck. Keep your head up Marion!!

Yeah Me too....but in all honesty..she was sentenced for scamming people

She would have never done time without those previous charges. I mean come on, lying to an officer, sure its "techinally" a crime but it never holds up.

What comes around goes around. When we were in school playing sports and getting the girls, the guys that fill up congress, were mad at us for it. And they just KNEW that we were cheaters. And now theyr'e proving it!! Player haters!!:p

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws