advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Just 3 pieces of advice, take a stab at it.

Vision

Registered
We often see threads about worst advice ever.. We rarely read about best suggestions..

If you were sitting down with the younger you from back when, or simply a newbie, what advice would you give if asked? What would you offer,what suggestions about the best course of action for him/her that would find them well in life way of life/lifestyle?

I'll have a stab at it..

1) take the first few years and dedicate it to learning the true curves to dieting and nutrition (know the kitchen inside and out) understand the true definition of meal prepping, not just prepping as in making portions daily, know how to truly prep food.
2) learn how the muscles actually function and work in groups, as primaries and secondaries and what head is activated or deactivated with particular movements, and focus on form, "muscle and mind connection"
3) surround yourself with like minded people that share similar goals, stay the fuck away from naysayers and underachievers and the guys/gals who are still pushing the same weight and not growing/changing.

I think your first 2 would resonate well with most people, myself included. My third big one would be stop trying to over complicate routines. It took me forever to come full circle back to the SIMPLEST routines that worked the best for me VS spending hours in the gym doing complicated workout routines that resulted in MINIMAL gains.

I think your first 2 would resonate well with most people, myself included. My third big one would be stop trying to over complicate routines. It took me forever to come full circle back to the SIMPLEST routines that worked the best for me VS spending hours in the gym doing complicated workout routines that resulted in MINIMAL gains.
I think your third is absolutely on point. Overcomplicating things seems to be a way of life for us. Most often than none people make a lot of comparisons and they look at what works for the guy on either side of him, and like you said spending hours upon hours all the while failing to make any achievements. This is where I neglected and failed to make personal notes. Once I started making notes, things changed. if someone can't keep track of their progress how did they expect to make progress? People get too hung up on these YouTubers and instagrammers, and they forget about the basics..

1. Ego lifting means nothing, bodybuilding isn't about ego or how much weight you lift.

2. Don't take it too seriously, it's just bodybuilding, even if you go on to become mr olympia, it's only bodybuilding, who you are in life is much more important.

3. The most important thing in bodybuilding (and everything) is figuring out "what is enough." Doing more than enough is always harmful to your goals, more is better is a lie, there is always a negative consequence to doing more than enough. Any time this isn't true, you weren't doing enough to begin with, anytime you do more than enough, regardless if you realize it or not, something else is being reduced. This doesn't just apply to drugs, it applies to EVERYTHING. Evan Centaponi said this once in a video I watched and it took me years to fully understand it.

3. The most important thing in bodybuilding (and everything) is figuring out "what is enough." Doing more than enough is always harmful to your goals, more is better is a lie, there is always a negative consequence to doing more than enough. Any time this isn't true, you weren't doing enough to begin with, anytime you do more than enough, regardless if you realize it or not, something else is being reduced. This doesn't just apply to drugs, it applies to EVERYTHING. Evan Centaponi said this once in a video I watched and it took me years to fully understand it.
Good one! That pretty much covers everything in your life. Excess is detrimental to your health one way or the other. Concerning the human body, its a bit like a car that you run too hard day in and day out. Eventually that car is going to break down. Most cars break down some day, but it will break down much earlier than it should have if you run the piss out of it and don't maintain it. Maintenance and taking care of your car is very important too.

1. Have fun. If deadlifting, squats, etc. isnt fun for you, don't do it. Is it a mass builder, sure, but not working out because you arent having fun, doesnt build any mass.

2. Get blood work before running any gear. My #1 regret is I didn't.

3. Accept what you were given. Don't worry about what others are doing, how they look, how big they are, what gear they can handle. We are given the genetics web are, make the best of yourself, know your limits, and try to be happy with them. We cant all be lean 250lb monsters.

I'll keep this simple, and I think it applies to most anything you want to achieve:
1) Take your time
2) Be consistent
3) Keep perspective

1. Consistency trumps all
2. Train hard, but smart (don't take unnecessary risks to your health)
3. ENJOY THE JOURNEY. Understand, there is no final destination other than death. Some people feel the HAVE to go to the gym. Not me. I GET to go to the gym. It is a blessing. Enjoy every moment you are alive and healthy enough to even get the OPPORTUNITY to train. Father Time has taken on all comers and he is undefeated. Simply put, live in the moment.

Diet:
1: use foods that digest well or that work for you. The gut is so important it is considered the second brain by many.

2: dont get emotionally attached to food. Some use it as a coping mechanism and I have seen it ruin a few contest preps when they get stressed

3: dont neglect the fats. I avoided them for years and when I was more conscious of them I made great strength and size gains.

Training:
1: high intensity, high frequency and lower volume has given me the most growth and made me fall back in love with training. I loved the pump from a bro split but never got much size from it.

2. Weight is not the only way to progressively overload.

3: you dont grow in the gym.

Drugs:
1: if you haven't heard of it it's probably for a good reason.

2: orals usually aren't worth it unless you want a short lasting effect.

3: timing is irrelevant just get it into you at some stage. Unless its slin

1) Sub maximal effort (<40%) may not build size or strength instead it reinforces motor patterns. When a movement doesn't stimulate tension in the primary mover, don't try to bring the load or volume to failure, drop it to sub max until you have the desired effect.
2) AI's are the devil and ancillaries should be kept to a minimal on a need only basis.
3) Training on edge is for the fuck boys benching 135 with $200 headphones. Stay clear and focused when in an intense zone.

1. You can look Damn good naturally. Just have to work extra hard, but it will be 1000x WORTH not having to worry about the health conequences of AAS use.
2. Diet Diet Diet . you can work out all you want but if your diet is not tuned in for your goals, the gains will be suboptimal.
3. Learn to properly execute the basic compound movements early on in the game.

I failed on all three above but I guess you learn from your failures.

Never trust a fart

Don't under estimate the simple approach.

1) You can't out train a crappy diet. Everything starts here.
2) Start with full body training 3 x weekly. It can carry you into serious size.
3) 300mg Testosterone is probably the most you'll really need if you're a typical gym rat. Tweak steps 1 & 2 before upping the dose.

Always enjoyed your posts, and wisdom.. Glad you are back posting.

Very kind words, thank you. I try my best to be useful 😉

So much truth to this.. If one is good, than 2 is better, an so on.. That's how most brains are wired.. Knowing when enough is enough and the ability to distinguish between getting enough compared to over compensating for lack of something else.. Your number 3 really resonates with me and it's a great refresher for anyone an any level regardless of their craft.
Instinctive training comes to mind.

As Tom Platz said - After being taught sets and reps and working at it for a length of time you can't paint by numbers anymore. It must come from within. Any artist has an emotional contact with their work. A true bodybuilder doesn't just build muscle he creates muscle. You can't be a robot.

1. You can look Damn good naturally. Just have to work extra hard, but it will be 1000x WORTH not having to worry about the health conequences of AAS use.
2. Diet Diet Diet . you can work out all you want but if your diet is not tuned in for your goals, the gains will be suboptimal.
3. Learn to properly execute the basic compound movements early on in the game.

I failed on all three above but I guess you learn from your failures.
Right on.. Failure is pivotal for success. With most of my failures, intentionally I feel bad of course. However I "try" to embrace it with a different perspective and say "something good is happening here". Yes, during my failures I "try" to fit this type of lens on my glasses I wear when looking at life and say that to myself "something good is happening here" .. Failure is temporary, or is it not? It should be, because it's inevitable and its the very substance that creates our platform to our destiny. Having the unwavering dedication and commitment and the ability to adapt will keep us from falling into "default mood" or at least slow us down from going there.
Default mood is where we like to go in order to feel comfortable, whoever thinks that this way of life isn't going to be uncomfortable is in for a head on collision with a very thick wall, as life long trainees learning how to be conformable with being uncomfortable will be one of the best characteristics we could even earn.

More does not equal better

This is cultural in the states.

Its hard telling a dude who has arms that wont grow to train arms less and to be quicker about it.

Hard to tell a hard gainer a gram of test isnt the answer if a legit 500mg didnt do much for you.

Its hard to get someone who uses food as a coping mechanism to make any progress at all.

Too many examples of this.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner