over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

mixing protein with half&half

makes sure if you mix it with half an half that its raw milk and cream, that is what Vince is talking about, this is not suggested with pasteurized dairy which is crap.

ONE PROBLEM

thank you you just made my next bulker in fall MUCH easyer for me and i get tierd of 4tbs of penutbutter blended in every shake lol.
i dont knwo why i didnt think of this before.

:-D

ps. to all you guys out there its the CARBS THATS GONNA MAKE YOU FAT!!! i mean extra calories yes but when its alot of carbs is whats gonna take its toll.

animal fat is saturated, meaning bad fat,unsaturated is not bad.

The Importance of Saturated Fats for Biological Functions

By Mary G. Enig, PhD

Many people recognize that saturated fats are needed for energy, hormone production, cellular membranes and for organ padding. You may be surprised to learn that certain saturated fatty acids are also needed for important signaling and stabilization processes in the body.

Signaling processes work in the cells at the level of the membrane proteins, many of which are called G-protein receptors. The G-protein receptors become stimulated by different molecules and can be turned off or on in a manner similar to a binary light switch, which remains on for a limited time and then flips itself off until it is stimulated again.

The saturated fatty acids that play important roles in these processes are the 16-carbon palmitic acid, the 14-carbon myristic acid and the 12-carbon lauric acid. These saturated fatty acids are found in certain food fats. Palmitic acid, for example, comprises 45 percent of palm oil and about 25 percent of animal and dairy fats. Furthermore, the body makes palmitic acid out of excess carbohydrates and excess protein.

A biochemical process called palmitoylation, in which the body uses palmitic acid in stabilization processes, although not very well known, is very important to our health.

When these important saturated fatty acids are not readily available, certain growth factors in the cells and organs will not be properly aligned. This is because the various receptors, such as G-protein receptors, need to be coupled with lipids in order to provide localization of function.

The messages that are sent from the outside of the cell to the inner part of the cell control many functions including those activated by, for example, adrenaline in the primitive mammalian fight/flight reactions. When the adrenal gland produces adrenaline and the adrenaline (beta-adrenergic) receptor communicates with the G-protein and its signal cascade, the parts of the body are alerted to the need for action; the heart beats faster, the blood flow to the gut decreases while the blood flow to the muscles increases and the production of glucose is stimulated.

The G-proteins come in different forms; the alpha subunit is covalently linked to myristic acid and the function of this subunit is important for turning on and off the binding to an enzyme called adenylate cyclase and thus the amplification of important hormone signals.

When researchers looked at the fatty acid composition of the phospholipids in the T-cells (white blood cells), from both young and old donors, they found that a loss of saturated fatty acids in the lymphocytes was responsible for age-related declines in white blood cell function. They found that they could correct cellular deficiencies in palmitic acid and myristic acid by adding these saturated fatty acids.

Most Westerners consume very little myristic acid because it is provided by coconut oil and dairy fats, both of which we are told to avoid. But myristic acid is a very important fatty acid, which the body uses to stabilize many different proteins, including proteins used in the immune system and to fight tumors. This function is called myristoylation; it occurs when myristic acid is attached to the protein in a specific position where it functions usefully. For example, the body has the ability to suppress production of tumors from lung cancer cells if a certain genetically determined suppressor gene is available. This gene is called fus1 and is a protein that has been modified with covalent addition of the saturated fatty acid myristic acid. Thus, the loss of myristic acid from the diet can have unfortunate consequences, including cancer and immune system dysfunction.

Lauric acid has several functions. It is an antimicrobial fatty acid on its own and as a monoglyceride. It also has the function of stabilization when it is attached to certain proteins in a similar fashion to myristic acid and palmitic acid.

Stearic acid is the 18-carbon saturated fatty acid. The main sources are animal tallows, which contain about 20-25 percent stearic acid, and chocolate, which contains about 35 percent stearic acid. In other foods it occurs only on levels of 1-2 percent.

How much total saturated do we need? During the 1970s, researchers from Canada found that animals fed rapeseed oil and canola oil developed heart lesions. This problem was corrected when they added saturated fat to the animals diets. On the basis of this and other research, they ultimately determined that the diet should contain at least 25 percent of fat as saturated fat. Among the food fats that they tested, the one found to have the best proportion of saturated fat was lard, the very fat we are told to avoid under all circumstances!

These are some of the complex but vital reasons we need to include palm oil, coconut oil, butter and lard in our diets.

hey logan, no, i'm not making anything to be horrible, you have given some real good stuff on the subject. thanks for the input.i definetely agree that the junk foods that basically consist of simple sugars combined with fat is through the frying process or whatever is a sure fire way to add on fat. i personally love sweets and most are not of the lowfat/no fat nature...lol

mule

Thanks for that good info bro, learned a few things there. :a:tion-sm

Exactly!!!
Wow man.You look freakin ridicliously in excellent shape.I am going to be 37 this april.You inspire me to work harder.I am 5-10 215 9.3 % bodyfat.I am going totry the high fat vince diet and german volume training and see what happens.

You can basically eat ANYTHING you want with in reason -not 10,000 cals a day etc-if you keep carbs low and fats high and protein medium-moderately high and stay big and lean.
Carbs are the demise of the world for the most part.
There have been many FAD lo carb diets lately-Atkins, and Palumbo's copycat with omega 3's, the high fat diet by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale which got bad press as he used it on the WBF'ers when they went clean and were metabolic messes...as mentioned Vince Gironda's diet was the same high saturated fat low carb and high protein..while much has changed in the pharmacology department in the last 50 years bodybuilding diets can be wheeled back to Gironda's methods and given a fancy name and work wonders...the idea and they way the diets WORK are nothing super suprising except those that are just learning nutrition and bodybuilding...
this is an interesting article on a the paleolithic diet, very high saturated fat and moderate protein and very little carbs...the study was done in people with borderline bad health and sedentary....plus it wasn't a true paleolithic diet...
**broken link removed**

I imagine most readers of this blog would expect a group of subjects to do better on a Paleolithic diet as compared to a standard American diet, but there are few studies actually making the comparison. One was posted yesterday in the Advance-0nline-Publication section of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition that shows subjects following a Paleolithic diet made major metabolic changes, and made them rapidly.

Before we get into the study, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page when we discuss the Paleolithic diet. We we say Paleolithic diet, what are we really talking about?

The Paleolithic era refers to that period of history of the genus Homo, which began more than 2 million years ago and ran until the Neolithic period started circa 10,000 years ago. The Neolithic era dates to the time when early man set down roots both literally and figuratively when he started to cultivate plants for food and domesticate animals. The Paleolithic era ends and the Neolithic era begins with the advent of agriculture.

So what did Paleolithic man eat? We don’t know precisely because Paleolithic man didn’t leave any written records, menus, cookbooks, etc. The only records Paleolithic man left are the cave paintings, of which Lascaux in France is the most famous. Virtually all of these paintings feature animals prominently, which would lead one to believe that animals figured greatly in the lives of Paleolithic people. Since they didn’t domesticate these animals, and since it seems unlikely that they kept zoos, the most obvious reason these early people focused so much artistic effort on these animals is that they ate them. Carbon-13 isotope studies bear out that idea as the same carbon isotopes found in grass are also found heavily concentrated in the bones of Paleolithic man and other known carnivores, which leads to one of two conclusions: either Paleolithic man spent his days grazing or he ate animals that grazed. I would opt for the latter interpretation.

Keep this idea of Paleolithic man as a meat eater along with the idea of the cave pictures in your mind. We’ll return to them later, but first, let’s look at this study.

Nine healthy, sedentary, non-obese subjects (6 men; 3 women) over the age of 18 recruited from the San Francisco Bay area completed the study. These subjects had their starting diets analyzed - all were on their own version of the standard American diet - and a battery of tests done on them to evaluate multiple metabolic parameters.

Once the beginning data was in hand, the researchers started the subjects on a ramp up to the full Paleolithic diet by giving them daily increases of fiber and potassium.

For the intervention phase, beginning day 1, for adaptation purposes, a series of 1-day cycle diets with gradually increasing levels of potassium and fiber were developed by the research dietitians. This was to allow the subjects’ intestinal tract and potassium handling systems to adjust to the markedly higher dietary content of fiber and potassium. ‘Ramp 1′ diet was given for 1 day, ‘Ramp 2′ diet for 3 days, ‘Ramp 3′ diet for 3 days and finally the ‘Paleo diet’ for the remainder of the study.

Once ramped up, the subjects went on the full Paleo diet for 10 days. An interesting twist to this study was that the subjects were monitored carefully for any signs of weight loss over the course of the study, and any subjects losing even small amounts of weight were encouraged to eat more of the Paleo foods in an effort to maintain their starting weights. Since weight loss itself can bring about metabolic changes, the researchers wanted to make sure that any changes came about as a result of the diet composition and not as a side effect of weight loss.

What did they eat?

Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, fruits, vegetables, tree nuts, canola oil, mayonnaise and honey were included in the Ramp and Paleo phases of the diet. We excluded dairy products, legumes, cereals, grains, potatoes and products containing potassium chloride (some foods, such as mayonnaise, carrot juice and domestic meat were not consumed by hunter-gatherers, but contain the general nutritional characteristics of preagricultural foods).

Hmmm. More about which later. For now, here is a layout of the specific foods the subjects ate during the ramp and the full Paleo diet.
Table 2

Table 2

The macronutrient composition of the regular diets of these subjects was 18% protein, 44 % carbohydrate and 38% fat. The Paleo diet was 30% protein, 38% carbohydrate and 32% fat, mostly unsaturated, as the authors were quick to point out.
After the 7 day ramp period and the 10 days of Paleo dieting, subjects experienced large changes in most parameters measured. Lipid changes are shown in the table below.
Derived from Table 3

Derived from Table 3

As you can see, there were significant decreases in triglycerides, total and LDL-cholesterol with no change in HDL-cholesterol.

The body of the paper reports an insignificant decrease in blood sugar after the Paleo diet, but the units listed in the paper are incorrect, which is one of the hazards of dealing with a pre-publication paper. All the kinks haven’t been worked out.

Fasting insulin levels plummeted by more than two thirds in (11.5 to 3.6 µU/ml) and the total area under the insulin curve was lowered by almost half. What these figures tell us is that the diet made these subjects much, much more sensitive to their own insulin. In other words, they required substantially less insulin to keep their blood sugars in the normal range. Since they were producing less insulin, they had less circulating insulin, which meant less fat storage, less arterial stiffening and less of all the things that too much insulin causes.

Along with the improvements in lipids and insulin sensitivity, the subjects experienced a significant drop in diastolic blood pressure and a decrease in mean arterial pressure. These improvements likely occurred in part because these subjects had substantially increased brachial artery diameter, a measure of arterial distensibility. There arteries had become less stiff and more pliable over a mere 17 days of dietary change.

Urinary potassium loss increased, indicating an increased potassium intake by the subjects. And urinary calcium excretion decreased.

Another interesting aspect of this study is that these findings were pretty much across the board. Instead of a couple of hyper responders raising the average, either all nine or in a couple of cases, eight of the nine subjects demonstrated pretty much the same changes, indicating consistently improved metabolic and physiological status with respect to circulatory, carbohydrate and lipid metabolism/physiology.

The authors of this paper found

in a small group of sedentary, slightly overweight, but not obese adult humans, that switching from their usual diet to a paleolithic-type diet, which contained no cereal grains, dairy [or] legumes, resulted, after only a short period of time [17 days] and without weight loss or increase in activity levels

significant positive changes in all the parameters discussed above.

I was fascinated by this study because the changes were so rapid, but I was a little put off because it could have been so much better. I mean why didn’t they test a real Paleolithic diet? Probably because of nutritional correctness, i.e., fear of saturated fat.

During Paleolithic times, man primarily subsisted by hunting. The preferred food was large game animals, and Paleolithic man, a skilled hunter, wiped most of them out. And not just the large grazing animals. Paleolithic man completely decimated the Cave bear. As you can see from the photo of my Cave bear skull below (from a slide I use in presentations), these were enormous animals that didn’t go down easily. Cave bear, like all bears, had high levels of body fat, which must have been highly desired because these ferocious animals were hunted to extinction about 15,000 years ago by people wielding little more than pointed sticks. I would have to value fat a whole lot more than I do to tackle one of these guys. The largest bears that I could find the fatty acid composition for were polar bears, which should be appropriate since cave bear lived in northern latitudes. Polar bears have on average 30 percent saturated fat, 50 percent monounsaturated fat and 15 percent polyunsaturated fat. (I know these figures don’t add up to 100 percent, but they are the figures as presented in the article.)

cave-bear-skull-blog

The majority of the large animals that roamed the world are gone thanks to the depredations of Paleolithic man. If you ever get the chance to go to the American Museum of Natural History in New York, take a stroll through the many large halls filled with the enormous skeletons of these animals that used to roam what is now the United States. Experts estimate that it took Paleolithic man only about a thousand years to range from northern North America were he crossed the Bering strait to the southern tip of South America wiping out all the large game that existed at the time.

These large mammals that Paleolithic man decimated are now only present in skeletal form so we don’t know for sure what their fatty acid composition was. But we do know that of those left, the larger the animals, the larger the percent body fat. And the larger the percent body fat, the greater the percentage of saturated fat. Given those two facts, one has to conclude that Paleolithic man consumed a large percentage of his energy as saturated fat. We can’t look at the fat content of deer, for example, and use that to estimate the saturated-fat content of the Paleolithic diet. Deer, as we know them today, were tiny animals as compared to those Paleo man typically dined on.

If you look at the fatty acid breakdown of the horse, a large animal (not grain fed) that we are all familiar with that is comparable in size to many of the animals Paleolithic man hunted to extinction, you find a large proportion of saturated fats. Horse fat is about 36 percent saturated fat, 34 percent monounsaturated fat, and the rest polyunsaturated fat. Even rabbits carry over 40 percent of their fat as saturated fat, but rabbits have much less fat per weight than the larger animals.

It seems pretty obvious that Paleolithic man would have eaten considerable saturated fat. Which begs the question: Why always cut the saturated fat in experimental diets testing the hypothesis that the Paleolithic diet is more healthful?

I don’t know the answer for sure, but I expect that it’s due to the nutritional equivalent of political correctness, which I call nutritional correctness.

Researchers are simply afraid to imply that saturated fats might actually be harmless, so they go through all kinds of contortions to present their data in such a way that it couldn’t possibly present saturated fats in a positive light. And much good research and reporting has suffered as a consequence.

A case in point is a otherwise wonderful book published 20+ years ago titled The Paleolithic Prescription. This fascinating book goes into great detail describing the physical exploits of our ancient ancestors based in large part of reports by European explorers encountering ‘primitive’ peoples untouched by the forces of ‘civilization.’ The authors, based on the anthropological literature, describe the size of our Paleolithic forebears as being similar to our own, but their strength was significantly greater:

These people were strong - stronger by all estimates than most agricultural and industrial people (including ourselves) who lived after them. Skeletal remains reflect strength and muscularity: the size of joints and the sites where muscles are inserted into bones indicate both the mass of the muscles and the magnitude of the force they were able to exert. Average Cro-Magnons, for example, were apparently as strong as today’s superior male and female athletes. Strange as it may seem, Cro-Magnons and other hunters and gatherers may have worked fewer hours per week than did the agriculturalists who followed, yet they were significantly more robust.

Think about this last sentence for a minute. Strong, robust Cro-Magnons who settled into a life of agriculture circa 10,000 years ago, and who worked harder than their pastoral predecessors, showed a decline in strength and muscle mass. Why? What The Paleolithic Prescription says about energy expended is true. The skeletal remains of agriculturalists show much more arthritic changes and incidence of joint wear implying much more regular physical activity than hunters. So why did agriculturalists develop less muscle mass and strength? Could it be because of a switch from diets high in fat and protein to diets low in fat and protein and high in carbohydrates? Makes sense to me. Same genetic material, greater exercise, different diet, yet weaker and less robust.

Getting back to my original point about this book, the authors presented a mass of data showing our Paleolithic ancestors to be more robust, healthier and able to routinely perform feats of strength that are almost unbelievable to us today. And they dwelt on the massive amount of hunting that sustained these ancient peoples. Then, when it came time to apply these dietary lessons to people of today, the authors tried to shoehorn their findings in a nutritionally correct regimen that followed the low-fat diet precepts that academicians are so attached to. It’s really a shame because this could have been a wonderful book. It’s still well worth reading, but simply ignore the dietary advice.

It would have been great had the authors of the paper above used a real Paleolithic diet for their study instead of an imaginary Paleolithic diet that conformed to the tenets of nutritional correctness.

Based on my own experience with thousands of patients, I can predict what the findings would have been. Lipid parameters would have been improved, but with LDL staying about the same or maybe going up a little. HDL would have gone up significantly. Triglycerides would have fallen maybe more. The all-important triglyceride/HDL ratio would have plummeted much more than with the faux Paleo diet. Fasting insulin would have dropped like a rock and the area under the insulin curve would have fallen at least as much, if not further. Blood pressure would have decreased and all the measures of vascular pliability would have improved. All in all, my prediction is that the outcome of the study would have been better than the outcome of the study as it currently exists.

The Paleolithic diet data indicates that early man ate more saturated fat than he did carbohydrates. And he was molded by the processes of natural selection to thrive on such a diet. When he bolted from that meat-based diet, as he did when he settled in to life as an agriculturalist, he paid dearly for it with a devolution in health. Since the evidence is so obvious that a diet higher in saturated fat worked wonders for Paleolithic man, it seems like some academicians somewhere would ranger up and test such a diet. But it appears that the pox on saturated fat is so virulent that no one wants to risk it.

If such a study were done and the results tally with what I’m positive the results would be, the authors would find themselves in the untenable position of having to at least tacitly imply that saturated fats aren’t harmful. And that could ruin an academic career. No more invitations to present at meetings. Expulsion from the club. People tsk tsking behind their hands. It just couldn’t be done.

You can basically eat ANYTHING you want with in reason -not 10,000 cals a day etc-if you keep carbs low and fats high and protein medium-moderately high and stay big and lean.
There have been many FAD lo carb diets lately-Atkins, and Palumbo's copycat with omega 3's, the high fat diet by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale which got bad press as he used it on the WBF'ers when they went clean and were metabolic messes...as mentioned Vince Gironda's diet was the same high saturated fat low carb and high protein..while much has changed in the pharmacology department in the last 50 years bodybuilding diets can be wheeled back to Gironda's methods and given a fancy name and work wonders...the idea and they way the diets WORK are nothing super suprising except those that are just learning nutrition and bodybuilding...
this is an interesting article on a the paleolithic diet, very high saturated fat and moderate protein and very little carbs...the study was done in people with borderline bad health and sedentary....plus it wasn't a true paleolithic diet...
**broken link removed**

I imagine most readers of this blog would expect a group of subjects to do better on a Paleolithic diet as compared to a standard American diet, but there are few studies actually making the comparison. One was posted yesterday in the Advance-0nline-Publication section of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition that shows subjects following a Paleolithic diet made major metabolic changes, and made them rapidly.

Before we get into the study, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page when we discuss the Paleolithic diet. We we say Paleolithic diet, what are we really talking about?

The Paleolithic era refers to that period of history of the genus Homo, which began more than 2 million years ago and ran until the Neolithic period started circa 10,000 years ago. The Neolithic era dates to the time when early man set down roots both literally and figuratively when he started to cultivate plants for food and domesticate animals. The Paleolithic era ends and the Neolithic era begins with the advent of agriculture.

So what did Paleolithic man eat? We don’t know precisely because Paleolithic man didn’t leave any written records, menus, cookbooks, etc. The only records Paleolithic man left are the cave paintings, of which Lascaux in France is the most famous. Virtually all of these paintings feature animals prominently, which would lead one to believe that animals figured greatly in the lives of Paleolithic people. Since they didn’t domesticate these animals, and since it seems unlikely that they kept zoos, the most obvious reason these early people focused so much artistic effort on these animals is that they ate them. Carbon-13 isotope studies bear out that idea as the same carbon isotopes found in grass are also found heavily concentrated in the bones of Paleolithic man and other known carnivores, which leads to one of two conclusions: either Paleolithic man spent his days grazing or he ate animals that grazed. I would opt for the latter interpretation.

Keep this idea of Paleolithic man as a meat eater along with the idea of the cave pictures in your mind. We’ll return to them later, but first, let’s look at this study.

Nine healthy, sedentary, non-obese subjects (6 men; 3 women) over the age of 18 recruited from the San Francisco Bay area completed the study. These subjects had their starting diets analyzed - all were on their own version of the standard American diet - and a battery of tests done on them to evaluate multiple metabolic parameters.

Once the beginning data was in hand, the researchers started the subjects on a ramp up to the full Paleolithic diet by giving them daily increases of fiber and potassium.

For the intervention phase, beginning day 1, for adaptation purposes, a series of 1-day cycle diets with gradually increasing levels of potassium and fiber were developed by the research dietitians. This was to allow the subjects’ intestinal tract and potassium handling systems to adjust to the markedly higher dietary content of fiber and potassium. ‘Ramp 1′ diet was given for 1 day, ‘Ramp 2′ diet for 3 days, ‘Ramp 3′ diet for 3 days and finally the ‘Paleo diet’ for the remainder of the study.

Once ramped up, the subjects went on the full Paleo diet for 10 days. An interesting twist to this study was that the subjects were monitored carefully for any signs of weight loss over the course of the study, and any subjects losing even small amounts of weight were encouraged to eat more of the Paleo foods in an effort to maintain their starting weights. Since weight loss itself can bring about metabolic changes, the researchers wanted to make sure that any changes came about as a result of the diet composition and not as a side effect of weight loss.

What did they eat?

Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, fruits, vegetables, tree nuts, canola oil, mayonnaise and honey were included in the Ramp and Paleo phases of the diet. We excluded dairy products, legumes, cereals, grains, potatoes and products containing potassium chloride (some foods, such as mayonnaise, carrot juice and domestic meat were not consumed by hunter-gatherers, but contain the general nutritional characteristics of preagricultural foods).

Hmmm. More about which later. For now, here is a layout of the specific foods the subjects ate during the ramp and the full Paleo diet.
Table 2

Table 2

The macronutrient composition of the regular diets of these subjects was 18% protein, 44 % carbohydrate and 38% fat. The Paleo diet was 30% protein, 38% carbohydrate and 32% fat, mostly unsaturated, as the authors were quick to point out.
After the 7 day ramp period and the 10 days of Paleo dieting, subjects experienced large changes in most parameters measured. Lipid changes are shown in the table below.
Derived from Table 3

Derived from Table 3

As you can see, there were significant decreases in triglycerides, total and LDL-cholesterol with no change in HDL-cholesterol.

The body of the paper reports an insignificant decrease in blood sugar after the Paleo diet, but the units listed in the paper are incorrect, which is one of the hazards of dealing with a pre-publication paper. All the kinks haven’t been worked out.

Fasting insulin levels plummeted by more than two thirds in (11.5 to 3.6 µU/ml) and the total area under the insulin curve was lowered by almost half. What these figures tell us is that the diet made these subjects much, much more sensitive to their own insulin. In other words, they required substantially less insulin to keep their blood sugars in the normal range. Since they were producing less insulin, they had less circulating insulin, which meant less fat storage, less arterial stiffening and less of all the things that too much insulin causes.

Along with the improvements in lipids and insulin sensitivity, the subjects experienced a significant drop in diastolic blood pressure and a decrease in mean arterial pressure. These improvements likely occurred in part because these subjects had substantially increased brachial artery diameter, a measure of arterial distensibility. There arteries had become less stiff and more pliable over a mere 17 days of dietary change.

Urinary potassium loss increased, indicating an increased potassium intake by the subjects. And urinary calcium excretion decreased.

Another interesting aspect of this study is that these findings were pretty much across the board. Instead of a couple of hyper responders raising the average, either all nine or in a couple of cases, eight of the nine subjects demonstrated pretty much the same changes, indicating consistently improved metabolic and physiological status with respect to circulatory, carbohydrate and lipid metabolism/physiology.

in a small group of sedentary, slightly overweight, but not obese adult humans, that switching from their usual diet to a paleolithic-type diet, which contained no cereal grains, dairy [or] legumes, resulted, after only a short period of time [17 days] and without weight loss or increase in activity levels

I was fascinated by this study because the changes were so rapid, but I was a little put off because it could have been so much better. I mean why didn’t they test a real Paleolithic diet? Probably because of nutritional correctness, i.e., fear of saturated fat.

During Paleolithic times, man primarily subsisted by hunting. The preferred food was large game animals, and Paleolithic man, a skilled hunter, wiped most of them out. And not just the large grazing animals. Paleolithic man completely decimated the Cave bear. As you can see from the photo of my Cave bear skull below (from a slide I use in presentations), these were enormous animals that didn’t go down easily. Cave bear, like all bears, had high levels of body fat, which must have been highly desired because these ferocious animals were hunted to extinction about 15,000 years ago by people wielding little more than pointed sticks. I would have to value fat a whole lot more than I do to tackle one of these guys. The largest bears that I could find the fatty acid composition for were polar bears, which should be appropriate since cave bear lived in northern latitudes. Polar bears have on average 30 percent saturated fat, 50 percent monounsaturated fat and 15 percent polyunsaturated fat. (I know these figures don’t add up to 100 percent, but they are the figures as presented in the article.)

cave-bear-skull-blog

The majority of the large animals that roamed the world are gone thanks to the depredations of Paleolithic man. If you ever get the chance to go to the American Museum of Natural History in New York, take a stroll through the many large halls filled with the enormous skeletons of these animals that used to roam what is now the United States. Experts estimate that it took Paleolithic man only about a thousand years to range from northern North America were he crossed the Bering strait to the southern tip of South America wiping out all the large game that existed at the time.

These large mammals that Paleolithic man decimated are now only present in skeletal form so we don’t know for sure what their fatty acid composition was. But we do know that of those left, the larger the animals, the larger the percent body fat. And the larger the percent body fat, the greater the percentage of saturated fat. Given those two facts, one has to conclude that Paleolithic man consumed a large percentage of his energy as saturated fat. We can’t look at the fat content of deer, for example, and use that to estimate the saturated-fat content of the Paleolithic diet. Deer, as we know them today, were tiny animals as compared to those Paleo man typically dined on.

If you look at the fatty acid breakdown of the horse, a large animal (not grain fed) that we are all familiar with that is comparable in size to many of the animals Paleolithic man hunted to extinction, you find a large proportion of saturated fats. Horse fat is about 36 percent saturated fat, 34 percent monounsaturated fat, and the rest polyunsaturated fat. Even rabbits carry over 40 percent of their fat as saturated fat, but rabbits have much less fat per weight than the larger animals.

It seems pretty obvious that Paleolithic man would have eaten considerable saturated fat. Which begs the question: Why always cut the saturated fat in experimental diets testing the hypothesis that the Paleolithic diet is more healthful?

I don’t know the answer for sure, but I expect that it’s due to the nutritional equivalent of political correctness, which I call nutritional correctness.

Researchers are simply afraid to imply that saturated fats might actually be harmless, so they go through all kinds of contortions to present their data in such a way that it couldn’t possibly present saturated fats in a positive light. And much good research and reporting has suffered as a consequence.

A case in point is a otherwise wonderful book published 20+ years ago titled The Paleolithic Prescription. This fascinating book goes into great detail describing the physical exploits of our ancient ancestors based in large part of reports by European explorers encountering ‘primitive’ peoples untouched by the forces of ‘civilization.’ The authors, based on the anthropological literature, describe the size of our Paleolithic forebears as being similar to our own, but their strength was significantly greater:

These people were strong - stronger by all estimates than most agricultural and industrial people (including ourselves) who lived after them. Skeletal remains reflect strength and muscularity: the size of joints and the sites where muscles are inserted into bones indicate both the mass of the muscles and the magnitude of the force they were able to exert. Average Cro-Magnons, for example, were apparently as strong as today’s superior male and female athletes. Strange as it may seem, Cro-Magnons and other hunters and gatherers may have worked fewer hours per week than did the agriculturalists who followed, yet they were significantly more robust.

Think about this last sentence for a minute. Strong, robust Cro-Magnons who settled into a life of agriculture circa 10,000 years ago, and who worked harder than their pastoral predecessors, showed a decline in strength and muscle mass. Why? What The Paleolithic Prescription says about energy expended is true. The skeletal remains of agriculturalists show much more arthritic changes and incidence of joint wear implying much more regular physical activity than hunters. So why did agriculturalists develop less muscle mass and strength? Could it be because of a switch from diets high in fat and protein to diets low in fat and protein and high in carbohydrates? Makes sense to me. Same genetic material, greater exercise, different diet, yet weaker and less robust.

Getting back to my original point about this book, the authors presented a mass of data showing our Paleolithic ancestors to be more robust, healthier and able to routinely perform feats of strength that are almost unbelievable to us today. And they dwelt on the massive amount of hunting that sustained these ancient peoples. Then, when it came time to apply these dietary lessons to people of today, the authors tried to shoehorn their findings in a nutritionally correct regimen that followed the low-fat diet precepts that academicians are so attached to. It’s really a shame because this could have been a wonderful book. It’s still well worth reading, but simply ignore the dietary advice.

It would have been great had the authors of the paper above used a real Paleolithic diet for their study instead of an imaginary Paleolithic diet that conformed to the tenets of nutritional correctness.

Based on my own experience with thousands of patients, I can predict what the findings would have been. Lipid parameters would have been improved, but with LDL staying about the same or maybe going up a little. HDL would have gone up significantly. Triglycerides would have fallen maybe more. The all-important triglyceride/HDL ratio would have plummeted much more than with the faux Paleo diet. Fasting insulin would have dropped like a rock and the area under the insulin curve would have fallen at least as much, if not further. Blood pressure would have decreased and all the measures of vascular pliability would have improved. All in all, my prediction is that the outcome of the study would have been better than the outcome of the study as it currently exists.

The Paleolithic diet data indicates that early man ate more saturated fat than he did carbohydrates. And he was molded by the processes of natural selection to thrive on such a diet. When he bolted from that meat-based diet, as he did when he settled in to life as an agriculturalist, he paid dearly for it with a devolution in health. Since the evidence is so obvious that a diet higher in saturated fat worked wonders for Paleolithic man, it seems like some academicians somewhere would ranger up and test such a diet. But it appears that the pox on saturated fat is so virulent that no one wants to risk it.

If such a study were done and the results tally with what I’m positive the results would be, the authors would find themselves in the untenable position of having to at least tacitly imply that saturated fats aren’t harmful. And that could ruin an academic career. No more invitations to present at meetings. Expulsion from the club. People tsk tsking behind their hands. It just couldn’t be done.

Vince Gironda was defiantly the man most eating and training programs peddled today as new are copies of what he did.He was a true innovator

WOW

**broken link removed**

What did they eat?

Table 2

Table 2

Derived from Table 3

Derived from Table 3

cave-bear-skull-blog

INTERESTING, never heard that one but certainly eye opening.

Gironda vs Atkins

Gironda diet seems to be very similar to Atkins (if you take away the high carb meal every few days).
Can someone explain to me the main difference between the two?

As far as I know, Atkins would have you on a permanent low carb eating plan whereas Gironda advocated intermittent carb load meal every few days. This actually would work against you because it does not allow you to switch to burning fats as a primary fuel source UNLESS the athlete was already fat adapted. I prefer Di Pasquale's approach.

Alright this thread got me thinking - I experimented a bit with the anabolic diet a few months ago and it was great but I wasn't in a position to be consistent with it. Now is another story though... I've been doing a low/no carb diet for the past couple days... I figure I'll follow the AD and carb up a bit on the weekends... I just had my first heavy cream protein shake... that was AWESOME!!! lol... I couldn't help but thinking "BEEFCAKE!! BEEEEEFCAAAKEE!!" as I poured that down the hatch.

Anyhow I have a couple questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me here...

first of all where can I find RAW milk and dairy products? I hear all this talk, but I don't live on a farm and I don't see it on the grocery store shelves so what do I do?

Second what is WPI short for? Very curious...

Whey Protein Isolate, as far as raw milk you will have to do some searching online... it's expensive(compared to store bought milk) and not available in all areas.

i love half and half. drink it straight all the time, tons of cals and about as much protein as milk per serving

Alright this thread got me thinking - I experimented a bit with the anabolic diet a few months ago and it was great but I wasn't in a position to be consistent with it. Now is another story though... I've been doing a low/no carb diet for the past couple days... I figure I'll follow the AD and carb up a bit on the weekends... I just had my first heavy cream protein shake... that was AWESOME!!! lol... I couldn't help but thinking "BEEFCAKE!! BEEEEEFCAAAKEE!!" as I poured that down the hatch.

Anyhow I have a couple questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me here...

first of all where can I find RAW milk and dairy products? I hear all this talk, but I don't live on a farm and I don't see it on the grocery store shelves so what do I do?

alright my man, if you live in California look up Organic Pastures and they will list where it is available or order from the site only problem is the price to ship is very steep and if you live outside Cali then you will need to purchase "part" of a cow from a local farm otherwise it's illegal because the corporate fat cat faggots are greedy and want you to buy their shit milk so you can get lots of estrogen and antibiotics and other various noxious chemicals into you so later they can go on to sell you drugs to treat your new health problems.

I see what you are saying, but obesity in America is the result of mixing saturated fats and carbs in abundance... It seems you are placing all the blame on fat. Fats are necessary, carbs are not. For the record I believe carbs are great in moderation, especially when someone wants to put on muscle or lose fat. Carbs keep leptin levels elevated and maintain thyroid function. The fat lady you speak of most likely eats junk when she get home, because she can justify it from her salad at lunch. You mix and match carbs and fat together you have more potential for fat accumulation. You create an environment where calories are expended more than ingested you have weight loss...

There was a story on a while back about a woman who used a low fat diet to help her lose weight. The only the she ate were fig newtons, as they are low in fat. She gained 35 pounds... You see people on low carb diets becoming satiated with 4 eggs and 2 peices of bacon, thats 350 calories. You consume skim milk, cereal, and maybe some orange juice. By the time most people feel full it is between 500-700 calories consumed. Part of this being ignorance to portion sizes... 10% fat concern me as well. Heck fat optimizes hormone levels, why would one want to keep them to a minimum? I'll agree saturated fat (with the presence of moderate-high carbs) should be kept at a minimum. But the healthy fats should not be avoided.

I just want to be clear that fats are not evil, and neither are carbs. But it sounds like to me that you are making fat intake to be horrible... If not I apologize.

I believe you guys are saying essentially the same thing. I think doug is just saying that carbs are the lesser of 2 evils. There is nothing wrong with a lot of carbs as long as they come from complex carbs. This way your insulin levels don't spike.
The problem with adding too much fat such as half and half to your shake is the danger you don't see. It is a well accepted medical fact that a diet high in fat is directly related to heart disease. A diet high in simple sugars is directly related to diabetes.

But just because a certain diet will make you lean and gain muscle does not mean its good for you! Mike Martarazzo comes to mind!

I had an excellent run with a gallon of milk a day this winter.

I also had a tough time raising my calories adequately towards the end and maxed out at about 247.

Next winter half & half is definitely going to be at the tail end of my season.
I wish I could get raw milk but canadian law on raw milk is similar to steriod law in the US. Completely fucked up.

Here bro:
**broken link removed**

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner