advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mixing rep ranges in the same exercise/workout?

ATP

Registered
Do you guys ever mix rep ranges for on the same exercise? For example:

Set 1: Low reps (4-6)
Set 2: Moderate reps (8–12)
Set 3: High reps (15–20)
Set 4: Moderate reps (8–12)

The reason I ask is that from what I've read, each rep range grows muscle in different ways, so combining them in the same workout could increase muscle stimulation and growth:
—low reps provides optimal strength gains and myofibrillar hypertrophy
—moderate reps combines myofibrillar hypertrophy and sacroplasmic hypertrophy
—high reps generates increase protein synthesis and sacroplasmic hypertrophy

Is there a reason this wouldn't be a good idea?

yes.

I also make it part of progression.

warm up increasing to working weight, then hitting 20ish, 15ish 10ish or reversing that or doing that followed by a couple of 20s.

all kinds of things to do to stimulate growth.

Ive been training that way using whats known as reverse pyramiding. The weight on the second and third sets feels lighter then it would have if I had started with those weights.

if lifting where i start with 20 reps i will usually pic a weight that is doable for a solid 10 and blast it out 20.

next set no way would be able to hit that again so i shoot for as many as possible which is like 15-17, same thing for next set but it will fall in the 8-15.

as i progress the first set gets easier but rather then increasing the weight i increase the reps on either second and third sets until they are all around 20 then start adding sets ending up with 5x20.

then i will back that down again.

increasing the weight and doing the 20-15-10 followed by 2 of 20 but super slow and lighter, playing with tut and rep range/stretch.

when on DC three way I would do 2 straight sets 6-8 reps and 10-12 rep followed by a widow maker of 20 reps.
so it mixing it all up.:)

I see no reason it would not be good.

If one doesn't vary rep ranges in the same workout I would suggest using different rep ranges in subsequent sessions for the sand bodypart... Additionally, one can use a variety if exercises, each with a different range

Aussie, I did pretty much the same thing on DC, but also had my RP sets. The tiered sets were only for specific exercises

One must never deviate from strict reps/set ever! 3x10 is most popular for a reason. Do not attempt to go outside the box. Progression is blasphemy. We do not want progress. /s

One must never deviate from strict reps/set ever! 3x10 is most popular for a reason. Do not attempt to go outside the box. Progression is blasphemy. We do not want progress. /s

I heard a rumor at my gym one guy did 11 reps.... Upon putting his dumbbells back on the rack a mysterious black mist came upon him and was immediately turned into a crossfitter [emoji33]

I have been training with all rep ranges for about 3 + years now, and the gains I made doing it that way with all rep ranges covered (20+) (12-15) (8-10) (4-6) and (1-2) a mainstay of all my workouts.
Occaisionally Ill lean towards one end of the spectrum more than the other- but I feel like theres benefits from having them all covered.
Also I find some exercises lend themselves to heavier weights while others lighter weights and more feel.

I see no reason it would not be good.

If one doesn't vary rep ranges in the same workout I would suggest using different rep ranges in subsequent sessions for the sand bodypart... Additionally, one can use a variety if exercises, each with a different range

Aussie, I did pretty much the same thing on DC, but also had my RP sets. The tiered sets were only for specific exercises

correct, but when I had recovery issues, as I am OLD haha. both Dante and inhuman got me to try 2 straight sets to fail and it worked.
I was on dc for a while before I did that changes, but it worked a charm.

when on DC three way I would do 2 straight sets 6-8 reps and 10-12 rep followed by a widow maker of 20 reps.
so it mixing it all up.:)

Same here. The more I mix things up the faster I seem to grow.

correct, but when I had recovery issues, as I am OLD haha. both Dante and inhuman got me to try 2 straight sets to fail and it worked.

I was on dc for a while before I did that changes, but it worked a charm.

Mine was under the the advise of Scott Stevenson on the 3 way... For legs I would do 2-3 tiered sets then a WM. I was recovering very fast, which was why we added a few SS to take advantage of my recovery ability....

I train each muscle 3 times a week and have tried the two following (both logged in my logbook):

1. All 3 ranges in one workout i.e. (first set 5-7) (second set 9-11) (third set 13-15) and that would be the same for Monday,Wednesday,Friday

2. 3 rep ranges but varied through the week i.e. Mon all 3 sets 13-15, all 3 sets Wed 9-11, Fri all 3 sets 5-7

After the same amount of time training on each style, same exercises and same diet #2 has made me much stronger and bigger.

#1 started well but lifting in the heavy range every day took its toll on my joints and progression stopped whilst #2 for whatever reason has me smashing my previous best lifts. It has taken my 5 rep range to the 13-15 rep range for any given weight

I train each muscle 3 times a week and have tried the two following (both logged in my logbook):

1. All 3 ranges in one workout i.e. (first set 5-7) (second set 9-11) (third set 13-15) and that would be the same for Monday,Wednesday,Friday

2. 3 rep ranges but varied through the week i.e. Mon all 3 sets 13-15, all 3 sets Wed 9-11, Fri all 3 sets 5-7

After the same amount of time training on each style, same exercises and same diet #2 has made me much stronger and bigger.

#1 started well but lifting in the heavy range every day took its toll on my joints and progression stopped whilst #2 for whatever reason has me smashing my previous best lifts. It has taken my 5 rep range to the 13-15 rep range for any given weight

That is a pretty cool observation! I would actually love to see this tested in controlled environment to see what exactly is happening that would cause such.... Right now, it is a study population of 1 lol But I think would be cool to see if this carried weight for the masses and understand why this can occur

I should add that although I varied rep ranges for DC within one workout for some exercises, DC training should included various rep ranges for exercises for each body part broken up over each training day for body part. So you aren't always doing 15-20RP for example, but an array of ranges for body part....

Do u rotate 3 different exercises for each bodypart through the week?

Do u rotate 3 different exercises for each bodypart through the week?

Correct, each bodypart has 3 compound exercises that are used on the same day e.g. my chest workouts are:

Mon - dips
Wed - db floor press ---> ended up being on bench when dbs got too heavy to get into position on the floor
Fri - decline BB press

all 3 sets.

That is a pretty cool observation! I would actually love to see this tested in controlled environment to see what exactly is happening that would cause such.... Right now, it is a study population of 1 lol But I think would be cool to see if this carried weight for the masses and understand why this can occur

I should add that although I varied rep ranges for DC within one workout for some exercises, DC training should included various rep ranges for exercises for each body part broken up over each training day for body part. So you aren't always doing 15-20RP for example, but an array of ranges for body part....

Yes it was as "controlled' as I could make it i.e. I had my exact workouts logged for both and diet was exactly the same (give or take some cheat meals).

I am not saying one is better than the other, just for me personally for whatever reason it works better to cycle the rep ranges through the week instead of each day..ended up much bigger and stronger.

Might be because instead of hitting a 5-7 rep set everyday you are getting some sort of recovery (for lack of a better word) with the higher rep sets...not sure to be honest..

Yes it was as "controlled' as I could make it i.e. I had my exact workouts logged for both and diet was exactly the same (give or take some cheat meals).

I am not saying one is better than the other, just for me personally for whatever reason it works better to cycle the rep ranges through the week instead of each day..ended up much bigger and stronger.

Might be because instead of hitting a 5-7 rep set everyday you are getting some sort of recovery (for lack of a better word) with the higher rep sets...not sure to be honest..

CNS is not taxed as hard with lighter weights :) Heavy weights to failure initially recruit many many muscle fibers and place a lot of strain on the CNS, high rep sets to failure take more time recruit all of the muscle fibers... they are recruited with a different activation pattern and this difference places less stress on the CNS

I am noticing the same thing with Fortitude Training... because of the various types of reps and ranges over the week, I can train more frequently and recover faster (given my nutrition is on point)

I am digging the inference you are making from you training observations!

How about if we train each bodypart once per week AND use all 3 rep ranges? Best of both worlds? :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws