over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T any RNs on here?

g.r.o.w.t.h.

Registered
Here is my dilema. I am 29 soon to be 30. I have a Bachelor's degree in general studies. I have been making a living bartending for too many years now. I have grown to hate it and want a career that is more stable and rewarding (besides having chicks hit on you every night). I have spent the past 6 months taking pre-requisites to apply for nursing school. I just dont know if it is what I truely want to do. I just cant seem to find my niche in life. Nursing seems stable. So my questions are if you are a nurse do you like it? Do you find it rewarding? Is it financially lucrative? If you could start over would you still become a nurse? I am just struggling to transition to the next stage in life and need as many opinions as I can get. Oh yeah and if you wouldnt do it again what would you do? Sorry for the lenghthy post. I am just struggling here. Thanks.

I've known many nurses. Some hate it some love it but all made good money. Some don't like having to wipe peoples ass's. I've though about the same career and many people also told me X-ray tech's made good money with less BS (depending on your state and machines qual'd on) and also respiratory therapist (good money, better than x-ray tech). Just giving you ideas good luck on whatever you decide.

I've dated two women who worked as RNs.

Both made decent money (not super.. but not bad), but were worked to death. They take alot of crap from the general public and the Dr's. RNs have a very high rate of burnout, and although there are advertised job openings now-- there may not be in the future. (Think about computer jobs around 1999-2000... Every freshman in my University was thinking about computer science, but now they can't find jobs).

If you've already completed your medical pre-reqs like bio and chem, you might consider Pharmacy school.
Starting salary around 100k a year (in FL), approx the same time in training, less workload, and less grief from the general public(unless you're in retail).

Ideally you would want to work in a compounding pharmacy or mail order facility, because you don't have to deal with the people directly.

Hope that helps.

my wife is an RN , its all she ever wanted to be since she was a little girl , her first job was on a surgery recovery floor , worked her ass of for people that were in pain and expected her to fix it ,she did that for a year and hated it. Then she went to work at Tulane medical hospital in New Orleans in the surgery center , she loved it , some Dr.'s are total prics but she realy liked the work , after hurricane Katrina Tulane was closed so she went to work as a home health nurse , basic same delima as the surgery recover plus had to travel ALL day somtimes into the slums , that lasted for 5 months then she went to work for a nursing contract agency for surgery nurse , money is good 70K a year if you work 40hr weeks and their is egeneraly all the overtime you want to the potential to hit 100k is up to you.

She has finaly found her little nitch at the Louisiana Heart Hospital working surgery , its 5 min from the house , most of the time she works 7-3 takes call two nights a week and that generaly turns to 12hr days , but she only works 4 days a week.
she like being the person that talks the person to sleep making sure that they are secure and have a good feeling , just in case they don't wake up. Her moto is that she is the last person that they may ever see so may as well try to make it a plesant experiance and being the first person that they see when they wake up.

Nursing isin't for everybody , it takes compasion to be a good nurse and you will see shit that you never though possible , she has seen parkinsons people basicaly cured with a little electric shock to the brain , she has held a beating heart while the surgen stiched in the 5th bypass !!
BUT she has also see people come in for simple things and die , she has see alot of broken bodys from accidents and such. She was pissed at me for weeks after seeing a guy shot three times asking how I could willingly do that to another human.

In nursing school she spent a full 5 days working in a burn unit and nearly had a breakdown from that every night when she got home.

She has thought about going back to schoo,l to move up but doesn't want to leave surgery.

you can work as a traveling nurse and make ALOT of money , a couple we know make over a 100k a year and don't work 4 months out of the year.

it all depends on what kind of person you are if you will make a good nurse , if you don't want to do it and are in it for the money only then you will probably hate the job

why not learn a trade , I'm a Millwright-Machinest and make pretty good money and don't kill myself at work and their is a fair bit of work out their , more and more industries are needing people to replace a couple generations that were told to go to school to you can manage things , well now the folks they are supposed to manage are getting old and don't have much to replace them.

Law Enforcement is a decient living , work your way up to investigator ot SWAT and it gets intersting , I still do that part time

Well?

I'm friends with a male nurse. We work out occasionally, shoot the bull, what knot. I personally couldn't do it. ONE reason! If you don't mind cleaning another mans penis, when needed, cleaning vomit/diarrhea, etc, etc, then it might be your bag! Again, my wife THOUGHT she wanted the job, decided against it. *LOL*

my wife and friend are nurses...wife just started this month, started at good hospital in area for 70k...3 days a weeks 12 hour shifts ..its tough but 4 days to unwind is nice...my friend graduated college as bsn and started at hospital ok money, as soon as she passed her ccrn she went to agency and did over 100k a year at 4 days a week, she then passed her nurse anethetist and makes 130k plus for almost doing nothing!! so its all about where you place yourself...there are so many facets of nursing you are almost guaranteed there is somewhere you will like, also like above said ..traveling nurses make a killing for working part of the year...also someone said wiping up shit...you dont do that as a nurse(at least around here)they have techs that do that stuff at the hospitals here...you will have to do it a little in school though:(

and remember if the gruesome stuff isnt for you...you cant get a year experience in a hospital and then just work for doctors office or home care...you need a year experience to make the move though

So my questions are if you are a nurse do you like it? Not really, could be pretty stressful sometimes. I don't handle stress too well

Do you find it rewarding? Sometimes, for the most part yes. Always nice to help people.

Is it financially lucrative? Could be. Working minumum full time can get you 70-80k easy. I know people with 2 or even 3 jobs making well over 100k

If you could start over would you still become a nurse? Probably not. Ben doing it over 7 years. To be honest probably got burnt out after the 1st year. Tried different fields of nursing. Liked detention health the best. Although there were alot of tough guy, gangbanger cry babies. No kidding

Oh yeah and if you wouldnt do it again what would you do? I'm guessing Pharmacist or Lawyer

Just my 2 cents

Just something to think about.....Some are saying they get burnt out. Try doing hard labor in 100 degree heat for a few summers, while thinking of the air conditioned climate your going to be in as a nurse.
I'm going to school to eventually become a nurse. I might get bored eventually, but that's to happen in almost any job your going to have. BTW my wife took her Neclex yesterday. She should be a RN as of today. :D

You can't go wrong with a nursing degree. I've had a BSN for 18 years now and it has always opened up doors, inside and outside of nursing. There are so many different avenues to pursue, its nearly unlimited.

A BSN is nothing like a computer science degree so its ridiculous to compare, you will always have a job if you want one as long as you have your license to practice. LVNs/LPNs and RNs w/ associate degrees & diplomas will be phased out well before BSNs. But even that is highly unlikely. Although, you see "BSN preferred" a lot more these days. Used to, you never saw that except for management positions.

Yes, its rewarding. Compared to serving drinks for a living? A person who has been a nurse for awhile may not see it that way b/c we have a tendency to become jaded due to a lot of reasons. But send that nurse to serve drinks for a living for awhile and I guarantee you they will have a new found appreciation. Trust me, I lost my license for a period and had to do menial shit like personal train. Whole new appreciation.

You have to have a bachelors in something, so it may as well be worthwhile and stable, as you've learned the hard way by getting a general studies degree. This nurse said he probably wouldn't do it again and mentioned being an attorney. Well, you have to have a bachelors degree to get into law school, might as well be one where you actually learn how to do something and one you can actually make money off of. Versus a history or political science degree. At least you could pick up a few shifts in law school to have some spending cash. No other degree can you do that with. I know of at least 4 BSNs who went to law school and have successful practices, so nothing is stopping him from changing his career path if he regrets his choices.

No, you won't get rich as a regular nurse, but then again there many options. I was a CCRN (ICU) for 6 years, loved it at it first, was totally burnt on it after 6 years. Saw enough death to last a lifetime. Tried nursing management, which I absolutely hated. Managing a bunch of neurotic bitches is not fun or rewarding. Owned my own physical rehab clinic for awhile, sold it, went into pharmaceutical sales for awhile. Which my nursing degree gave me an edge up on others applying. Sales was good money, but very unrewarding otherwise. Lost my license, long story, had to do menial shit like I said. Very hard to get lesser jobs with a BSN b/c they know something is wrong with you otherwise you wouldn't be coming to them for a job. Got my license back, had a whole new appreciation for my profession. Got my MBA during that time, started in pharmaceutical research. Became certified in research (CCRA). Learned the business, partnered with a doctor and started my own business conducting clinical drug trials on contract from major pharmaceutical companies. Last year I made 4 times what a typical RN makes, twice as much as most CRNAs. Except for my fuck ups, nothing I have done would have been possible without having a BSN. Not saying this to boast b/c trust me I gained a lot of humility when I fucked up and lost my license, but to make the point, like most things in life, it is what you make of it.

Sure you could sit in a hospital your whole life, working 12s, wiping shit as more and more tech jobs are cut, getting paid by the hour dealing with all the bullshit that is nursing and you will more than likely end up completely miserable. Or, you could use your education and hospital experience as a stepping stone and pursue any number of nearly endless possibilities.

Travel nursing is dying as we speak, nothing like it used to be and its only going to get worse for travelers, trust me those days are about to be over for good. Starting salaries others have stated are correct. Radiology techs, respiratory techs, are lesser jobs and extremely boring, with almost no options outside of your specific training. PharmD is a good option as others have mentioned, with options outside of filling pill bottles for living, with a starting salary over 100k filling pill bottles for a living (boring!). But you'll have organic chem, calculus, etc., much more difficult pre-reqs than nursing. And you'll need a much higher GPA to get into a pharm program vs. nursing. And its a 6 year program now.

All that being said, nursing is definitely not for everyone. But, if after 30 years of life you don't know yourself well enough to assess whether it fits your personality, then certainly no one else will be able to guide you with that part of your decision.

Rex.

I am an night shift ICU RN, with plans on becoming a CRNA ...and rex feral post is pretty dead on. The opportunity is limitless in this profession if you want it...but this is NOT an easy profession. For all the hard work you put in , you still will get kicked down. Schooling to become a RN was tough as well, my life was gone for 2+ yrs studying for an associates. You become numb to death esp in the ICU, as rex feral said. You can get burnt out very easily, so schooing in this profession really never ends in my opinion if you want to make it worthwhile. Make sure that you are doing this because you want to and not for the money...somedays I would like to have a less stressful job in a mall or something lol, but in all honesty, if I were to go back I wouldnt change a thing. To add, I still get to bodybuild with my schedule..but sometimes meals are hard to get in when my patient codes:( :D Good luck

Off topic but to Rex Feral, get off your high horse:mad:. I would like to see you do your job without radiology, respiratory techs etcc.. I am a cath lab tech, when it comes down to what I do i can run circles around any dam RN that I work with, they give meds, thats it!!! Docs ask our opinons during procedures never ask the RN's becaus they don't know. Besides that you do make some valid points, especially in regards to travelling and RN's do have more options as far as jobs.

Off topic but to Rex Feral, get off your high horse:mad:. I would like to see you do your job without radiology, respiratory techs etcc.. I am a cath lab tech, when it comes down to what I do i can run circles around any dam RN that I work with, they give meds, thats it!!! Docs ask our opinons during procedures never ask the RN's becaus they don't know. Besides that you do make some valid points, especially in regards to travelling and RN's do have more options as far as jobs.

LOL, yes you are definitely correct, thank God for techs, I will be the first to say. Some of my best friends have been techs, LOL. But I haven't been on high horses for awhile, and you make my point by saying you run circles around RNs while they do nothing but give meds. So I looked it up, according to the bureau of labor statistics, the average salary for a CV tech is $47,010. The average salary for a CV nurse is $84,902. So, while I certainly would not want to envision a world without techs, if a person is asking for employment advice, I would not direct them towards a profession where you work harder for less money with much fewer career options if the difference in terms of education investment is minimal. My best friend in nursing school was a RRT, but he certainly wasn't wasting his time going back to school b/c being a respiratory tech was the better job. Any nursing school you go to will have any number of medical techs enrolled. This is because they have learned it doesn't make a lot of sense to work harder, or as hard, for less money and fewer career options. But no one would debate the value of techs or that many work harder, especially in areas like a cath lab, than nurses. You may get asked advice over nurses in a place like a cath lab, but that is a fairly unique situation. A radiology tech also generally has more knowledge of radiology than a radiology nurse. Those nurses are there to give drugs, start IVs, period. This is because your training is highly specialized in one area. But outside of those areas, such as in ICU, it is a completely different story. But that requires advancing your education also. There are plenty of practically useless nurses out there b/c they don't take the initiative to advance their education. Like I said, its all what you make of it. All you really learn to do in nursing school is give drugs and that's all many nurses seem to care to learn. Think how valuable you would be for example w/ your current knowledge combined with a RN license and an ACLS cert. So its never bad to advise more education. Is there such a thing as tech appreciation day? We should have one if not, seriously. ;)

Thank you

You can't go wrong with a nursing degree. I've had a BSN for 18 years now and it has always opened up doors, inside and outside of nursing. There are so many different avenues to pursue, its nearly unlimited.

A BSN is nothing like a computer science degree so its ridiculous to compare, you will always have a job if you want one as long as you have your license to practice. LVNs/LPNs and RNs w/ associate degrees & diplomas will be phased out well before BSNs. But even that is highly unlikely. Although, you see "BSN preferred" a lot more these days. Used to, you never saw that except for management positions.

Yes, its rewarding. Compared to serving drinks for a living? A person who has been a nurse for awhile may not see it that way b/c we have a tendency to become jaded due to a lot of reasons. But send that nurse to serve drinks for a living for awhile and I guarantee you they will have a new found appreciation. Trust me, I lost my license for a period and had to do menial shit like personal train. Whole new appreciation.

You have to have a bachelors in something, so it may as well be worthwhile and stable, as you've learned the hard way by getting a general studies degree. This nurse said he probably wouldn't do it again and mentioned being an attorney. Well, you have to have a bachelors degree to get into law school, might as well be one where you actually learn how to do something and one you can actually make money off of. Versus a history or political science degree. At least you could pick up a few shifts in law school to have some spending cash. No other degree can you do that with. I know of at least 4 BSNs who went to law school and have successful practices, so nothing is stopping him from changing his career path if he regrets his choices.

No, you won't get rich as a regular nurse, but then again there many options. I was a CCRN (ICU) for 6 years, loved it at it first, was totally burnt on it after 6 years. Saw enough death to last a lifetime. Tried nursing management, which I absolutely hated. Managing a bunch of neurotic bitches is not fun or rewarding. Owned my own physical rehab clinic for awhile, sold it, went into pharmaceutical sales for awhile. Which my nursing degree gave me an edge up on others applying. Sales was good money, but very unrewarding otherwise. Lost my license, long story, had to do menial shit like I said. Very hard to get lesser jobs with a BSN b/c they know something is wrong with you otherwise you wouldn't be coming to them for a job. Got my license back, had a whole new appreciation for my profession. Got my MBA during that time, started in pharmaceutical research. Became certified in research (CCRA). Learned the business, partnered with a doctor and started my own business conducting clinical drug trials on contract from major pharmaceutical companies. Last year I made 4 times what a typical RN makes, twice as much as most CRNAs. Except for my fuck ups, nothing I have done would have been possible without having a BSN. Not saying this to boast b/c trust me I gained a lot of humility when I fucked up and lost my license, but to make the point, like most things in life, it is what you make of it.

Sure you could sit in a hospital your whole life, working 12s, wiping shit as more and more tech jobs are cut, getting paid by the hour dealing with all the bullshit that is nursing and you will more than likely end up completely miserable. Or, you could use your education and hospital experience as a stepping stone and pursue any number of nearly endless possibilities.

Travel nursing is dying as we speak, nothing like it used to be and its only going to get worse for travelers, trust me those days are about to be over for good. Starting salaries others have stated are correct. Radiology techs, respiratory techs, are lesser jobs and extremely boring, with almost no options outside of your specific training. PharmD is a good option as others have mentioned, with options outside of filling pill bottles for living, with a starting salary over 100k filling pill bottles for a living (boring!). But you'll have organic chem, calculus, etc., much more difficult pre-reqs than nursing. And you'll need a much higher GPA to get into a pharm program vs. nursing. And its a 6 year program now.

All that being said, nursing is definitely not for everyone. But, if after 30 years of life you don't know yourself well enough to assess whether it fits your personality, then certainly no one else will be able to guide you with that part of your decision.

Rex.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Seriously, I love this board for the great people here willing to take the time to help out. Very insightful post. The general studies degree was a result of unusual circumstances due mostly to huricane Katrina. I was almost finished with my exercise physiology degree but the ciriculum was cut at my university after the hurricane.

Last edited:
Gunsmith

my wife is an RN , its all she ever wanted to be since she was a little girl , her first job was on a surgery recovery floor , worked her ass of for people that were in pain and expected her to fix it ,she did that for a year and hated it. Then she went to work at Tulane medical hospital in New Orleans in the surgery center , she loved it , some Dr.'s are total prics but she realy liked the work , after hurricane Katrina Tulane was closed so she went to work as a home health nurse , basic same delima as the surgery recover plus had to travel ALL day somtimes into the slums , that lasted for 5 months then she went to work for a nursing contract agency for surgery nurse , money is good 70K a year if you work 40hr weeks and their is egeneraly all the overtime you want to the potential to hit 100k is up to you.

She has finaly found her little nitch at the Louisiana Heart Hospital working surgery , its 5 min from the house , most of the time she works 7-3 takes call two nights a week and that generaly turns to 12hr days , but she only works 4 days a week.
she like being the person that talks the person to sleep making sure that they are secure and have a good feeling , just in case they don't wake up. Her moto is that she is the last person that they may ever see so may as well try to make it a plesant experiance and being the first person that they see when they wake up.

Nursing isin't for everybody , it takes compasion to be a good nurse and you will see shit that you never though possible , she has seen parkinsons people basicaly cured with a little electric shock to the brain , she has held a beating heart while the surgen stiched in the 5th bypass !!
BUT she has also see people come in for simple things and die , she has see alot of broken bodys from accidents and such. She was pissed at me for weeks after seeing a guy shot three times asking how I could willingly do that to another human.

In nursing school she spent a full 5 days working in a burn unit and nearly had a breakdown from that every night when she got home.

She has thought about going back to schoo,l to move up but doesn't want to leave surgery.

you can work as a traveling nurse and make ALOT of money , a couple we know make over a 100k a year and don't work 4 months out of the year.

it all depends on what kind of person you are if you will make a good nurse , if you don't want to do it and are in it for the money only then you will probably hate the job

I am in New Orleans. I think I am going to go through with nursing school and get my BSN. Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

wife is going back and in a program now. I worked with all different type of nurses. You can wok in a fast paced ER seeing all types of crap, in a psychiatric hospital just handing out meds and just keeping charts on patients, you can go back get an APRN and work in a family practice pretty much as a pediatrician or other agencies doing medication management.We have nurse consultants we take out on our cases. I worked for child protective services and we have consulting nurses come out with us to document child injuries and maintain history help assist setting up appointments for medically complex children on our cases. Lots of options. I'm in northeast and all the nurse I know make 65k plus base and there are sign on bonuses all the time being advertised if you sign with certain hospitals.

Last edited:
I recently finished RN school-- went back in mid 30's
piggy backing the RN degree with my Masters

I have done a year in Neuro ICU- Loved it !! Rewarding and respectful

Im currently studying for my RN Licensure Boards-

I have worked in the hospital setting for 20 plus years- -I was able to see all that the RN doesi in the hospital clinical setting and i knew that that was something that i could also perform- The schedule is flexible to get your training in as well : )

There are so many opportunities as a RN-IE) Sales- Administration- Insurance Companies, etc...and the jobs are endless -you dont have to be settled in the hospital setting

Good luck man !

Great post. My brother is an RN and he absolutely loves it. He went from an ER setting, icu, floor nurse, director of nursing, travel, and he recently took a job flying in cessna's. The possibilities are endless in nursing, and the baby boomer age is the largest population in the country. There will ALWAYS be work in nursing. I have a degree in the mortuary sciences, but I am going back to school to become a nurse. GO FOR IT BRO!! It is a very self rewarding field as well. Good luck!

Rex.

I'm an RN... but nursing for some guys is not a good fit.
If you think about just the money then you'll eventually get sick of it.
My suggestion is find a local class or a Red Cross class to get your Nursing assistant license and work in a hospital for a while...if you like that then you'll love being a RN.

Keep in mind nursing is about caring for mostly older patients...you need lots of patients (no pun intended)
Its like taking care of very large babies...sounds funny but that is basically all your doing...so if you have no problem with changing very large diapers with shit and piss and vomit...not to mention blood/lots of bodily fluids...smelly rank open wounds...
Street people that don't bath, Alcoholics that spit in your face and hit you...
then if you can handle that day in and day out without killing the SOB's you be fine...LOL

Last edited:
I'm an RN... but nursing for some guys is not a good fit.
If you think about just the money then you'll eventually get sick of it.
My suggestion is find a local class or a Red Cross class to get your Nursing assistant license and work in a hospital for a while...if you like that then you'll love being a RN.

Keep in mind nursing is about caring for mostly older patients...you need lots of patients (no pun intended)
Its like taking care of very large babies...sounds funny but that is basically all your doing...so if you have no problem with changing very large diapers with shit and piss and vomit...not to mention blood/lots of bodily fluids...smelly rank open wounds...
Street people that don't bath, Alcoholics that spit in your face and hit you...
then if you can handle that day in and day out without killing the SOB's you be fine...LOL
Well my mother spent weeks, even up to 2 months at a time in the hospital before passing (Hepatitis C). I was her main care taker at home and always by her side at the hospital so I have delt with or witnessed a great deal of what a RN must deal with. It's definately not all about the money for me. As I stated, I am currently bartending, great money but absolutely does nothing for my self worth. I do see where you are coming from, but I feel I am adequately prepared to deal with the "sh@t" part of the job. Thank you and everyone else for the insight. Its great to hear all the different experiences and view points from people who I have some common interests with.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws