over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T looking for some general advice.

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just so people can ignore this easier, im looking for some non lifting related advice.

Background for perspective:
When I first joined here, I was a restaurant manager making 35k a year working close to 100 hours a week. To make a long story short, now I'm and enterprise account executive for T-mobile making significantly more. I have no college degree and all of my advancement came the hard way. I realize I should be great full for my situation and complaining about my job is not the point.

My goal is to work for myself and be able to replace my current income including all the costs associated with it like insurance for my family. Its a significant figure.

After some research, ok a lot of research, I decided to use youtube as a spring board for this since the startup costs are minimal. In total I spent about $1000 between a camera, software and things I use for videos. I understand fully how challenging youtube is but that isn't the point ( it really is formulaic when you study it but I wont go into that here)
The idea is to get paid for my hobbies such as lifting, guns, survival/bushcraft and be able to brand out and employ others.

With this context in mind, at 40, im planning on going back to school. Im thinking about either studying biology or going for an MBA. The MBA would better prepare me for business but bio would better prepare me to deliver the best possible information on training on youtube.

I have well over a decade running a business and the past 7 years I have been selling into fortune 500 companies and developing business acumen but 7 believe im not fully prepared at this point so im curious as to what some members here would advise.

Sounds like you have plenty of real world experience, some capital to work with, a good idea, a safety net (your day job). I wouldn’t want to discourage somebody from going back to school but in this case it sounds unnecessary.

Just my opinion I wouldn't pursue a college degree and accumulate debt for a job like that. IMO accumulate debt would only be wise for something where you know you can land a job in a field where you know what you will be making and can easily pay it back. Do you know the total cost of the classes you will need for the degree?

Just my opinion I wouldn't pursue a college degree and accumulate debt for a job like that. IMO accumulate debt would only be wise for something where you know you can land a job in a field where you know what you will be making and can easily pay it back. Do you know the total cost of the classes you will need for the degree?
If I go for the MBA my company would foot the entire bill up to 12000 per year

Thats a great deal. For my masters my job only paid 1200 a year, damn lol.

I am in my mid 30's now and have been a sponsored member of the firearms community since I was 13...youtube will demonetized anything firearms related...so maybe stay away from that!

I have a lot of friends in the industry who lost a lot of money when youtube made that decision.

I am about to ramp back up in that world and will be putting out a lot of content...but I know what I am getting into and I already have all the equipment so I'm not losing anything but perhaps time.

I am in my mid 30's now and have been a sponsored member of the firearms community since I was 13...youtube will demonetized anything firearms related...so maybe stay away from that!

I have a lot of friends in the industry who lost a lot of money when youtube made that decision.

I am about to ramp back up in that world and will be putting out a lot of content...but I know what I am getting into and I already have all the equipment so I'm not losing anything but perhaps time.
They recently changed the fire arms policy again. Only if it's done in an unsafe manner, meaning apparently ranges, random targets and such are OK, will they demonetize. Ot if youre showing how to build, modify and where to purchase.
I looked at the analytics of demo ranch, the akguy and Kentucky ballistics and they have a 67% average increase in monetization. Simply safe and raid, shadow legends are paying each 20000 per sponsored video. Granted they are the very top end of guntubers so take that with a grain of salt. And it is based on what data I was able to gather.
Really though, their online merch sales are whats really brining in the steady cash at something like 10 to 15k per month.
Thats also why I have the channels split.

Also im not saying its easy, or even doable. Maybe my camera presence, film making or personality just sick, no idea....yet....but the initial investment is relatively low so i thought I'd come up with a strategy and try for a few years.

If you are already making great money and supporting a happy family with the career you have now - then going back to school for biology or a MBA (two totally different directions) doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I realize from a cost perspective it would be easy to justify, but what about the amount of time and attention it would take away from other pursuits? Replacing a significant income via online entrepreneurship is going to take a LOT of time, you will have to master it - that will take hundreds of hours of research/self growth/trial and error/networking with other successful entrepreneurs. Replacing a career that you are able to tolerate with a career you love, which is what it sounds to me like you want to do - ain't easy. It happens, but rarely - and I think the main reason is most underestimate how much commitment and time it takes.

To summarize, if what you say is all true in terms of your background - you already have validated an MBA and no piece of paper would further your cause - only distract imo.

Good luck man!

Another thing to consider here is the time commitment. Even if you went full time, it will take you 6 years to earn a MBA. 4 years undergrad then 2 more for the masters. I'm going to assume you'll have to go part time so you can continue working full time. That degree could take you a decade to finish and you'll be 50 years old by then. Unless you plan on retiring at 80 years old, I don't think it's a good idea.

they would foot the entire bill?

or $12,000 a year?

things have changed quite a bit since you were college aged. depending on where you go, $12,000 a year will barely cover a semester.

also, MBA's are generally considered to not be worth the money unless you are coming from Harvard or the like... and i can't in good faith advise getting a degree in biology just so you can be better prepared for youtube..

with that said, 100 weeks just to earn 35k is madness.

or $12,000 a year?

things have changed quite a bit since you were college aged. depending on where you go, $12,000 a year will barely cover a semester.

also, MBA's are generally considered to not be worth the money unless you are coming from Harvard or the like... and i can't in good faith advise getting a degree in biology just so you can be better prepared for youtube..

100 hour* weeks

or $12,000 a year?

We have some partnerships with schools where tuition ends up being 12000 a year( i have zero idea exactly how this works) . There an internal website where you basically choose your degree, school...etc and its covered. The amount is based on your position.

If you are already making great money and supporting a happy family with the career you have now - then going back to school for biology or a MBA (two totally different directions) doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I realize from a cost perspective it would be easy to justify, but what about the amount of time and attention it would take away from other pursuits? Replacing a significant income via online entrepreneurship is going to take a LOT of time, you will have to master it - that will take hundreds of hours of research/self growth/trial and error/networking with other successful entrepreneurs. Replacing a career that you are able to tolerate with a career you love, which is what it sounds to me like you want to do - ain't easy. It happens, but rarely - and I think the main reason is most underestimate how much commitment and time it takes.

To summarize, if what you say is all true in terms of your background - you already have validated an MBA and no piece of paper would further your cause - only distract imo.

Good luck man!
It happens, but rarely - and I think the main reason is most underestimate how much commitment and time it takes.

This is exactly what my research is showing. The difference between success and failure in this particular endeavor is clearly distinct on 2 factors.
1. Time - 99% of people who don't simply get lucky just quit before the average time it takes to make an income at 2 years. The average creator quits within 8 months of starting.
2. Evolution- the failures don't improve or even attempt to improve the hard skills of videography, editing, seo optimization and branding.

To be honest, I've worked more hours for less so putting in the effort will not be an issue. The challenge is figuring out how to be successful enough at it to replace my income and hopefully increase it. 1.8 million youtubers make over 6 figures annually from only youtube ad revenue. Thats .1 percent of all of the creators. Every day 300 new channels pop up. Less than .01 person of those will be producing content 6 months from their start date.
Factoring in those variables, if you produce valuable content in your niche, work to create a community not just viewers, and continue to produce content long enough for youtube to distribute your content to a wider audience, success is nearly guaranteed relative to say. Opening a restaurant.

I am in complete support of this idea, but i also feel that anyone thinking they can master YT is walking down a slippery slope.
YT content is juuust like TikTok, Instagram and all that. Trends shift and players who were popular for 1 years slowly lose popularity and are replaced by others. The algorithms are strange and can help you...but it requires significant time.

For context, i work in advertising and entertainment and have several acquaintances who are "influencers." For random stuff too.
The problem with YouTube is that creating organic content that will naturally grow popular is RIDICULOUSLY hard. Thats why you have to be extremely nich (which will hurt your overall numbers...) and/or start your popularity off of Insta first and ride hard to convert into YT. With Insta, you can somewhat fake it for awhile and eventually with enough money and push, things can start happening. But not in YT. From your interests, it sounds like you are after the Seth Feroce target audience. And that didn't happen by accident....he's Seth Feroce and even then it was a slow build on YT.

Also, i think people underestimate "thinking of content." EVERYONE talks about nutrition/outdoors/guns/lifting...so what is your angle going to be? Its that simple. And even if you do have an interesting angle, you gotta go right back to the paragraph above...how does that get out? Just releasing a video does nothing. Thats why most YT influencers have multi-channel approach where they make an insta saying "NEW VIDEO IN MY BIO" and that stuff.

If it were easy, EVERYONE would do it man. I understand and it and know the industry and I could never do it. Far too much effort and time to give for it not to be guaranteed results. You have obviously worked very hard from your restaurant job to be where you're at now...and it shows your dedication. And with LOTS of jobs, just putting in the grunt work will eventually pay dividends. But not with this stuff. Entertainment stuff is truly luck. It's effort and time and money...and even then, people will do this for years without 1000 fans to show for it (1000 fans is nothing just for context). Just trying to give my 2 cents here.

I also didn't even touch the personality, likability, camera presence thing. That's a whole other animal.

It happens, but rarely - and I think the main reason is most underestimate how much commitment and time it takes.

This is exactly what my research is showing. The difference between success and failure in this particular endeavor is clearly distinct on 2 factors.
1. Time - 99% of people who don't simply get lucky just quit before the average time it takes to make an income at 2 years. The average creator quits within 8 months of starting.
2. Evolution- the failures don't improve or even attempt to improve the hard skills of videography, editing, seo optimization and branding.

To be honest, I've worked more hours for less so putting in the effort will not be an issue. The challenge is figuring out how to be successful enough at it to replace my income and hopefully increase it. 1.8 million youtubers make over 6 figures annually from only youtube ad revenue. Thats .1 percent of all of the creators. Every day 300 new channels pop up. Less than .01 person of those will be producing content 6 months from their start date.
Factoring in those variables, if you produce valuable content in your niche, work to create a community not just viewers, and continue to produce content long enough for youtube to distribute your content to a wider audience, success is nearly guaranteed relative to say. Opening a restaurant.
It sounds like you have an idea of how to do this. I dont see any harm in pursuing your dream as long as you can maintain your income as it is now and you dont blow a lot of money on the endeavor. If you dont try it then you will never know if you could have succeeded and youll look back when youre older and curse yourself. It sounds like this is a big goal of your's, go for it! If i were you I would try to get some advice from others that have made it on youtube. Dont worry about the college education if this is what you want to do. I dont think it will help you succeed on youtube. If you wanted to, you could take a few biology classes if you wanted to be more educated in science. Once you get the prerequisites done then you can take things like physiology and anatomy. Simple classes in kinesiology might help too. You dont necessarily have to earn a degree for what you want to do. Sounds like you just need some content knowledge. I have a degree in Biology. If your work is going to pay for the college credits, i dont see a reason not to do it unless it runs into the time you need to spend on your job and youtube.

In all likelihood, you’re best off doing “let’s play’s” on youtube

has little nightmares 2 come out yet?

that would be a good place to launch your new career

I am in complete support of this idea, but i also feel that anyone thinking they can master YT is walking down a slippery slope.
YT content is juuust like TikTok, Instagram and all that. Trends shift and players who were popular for 1 years slowly lose popularity and are replaced by others. The algorithms are strange and can help you...but it requires significant time.

For context, i work in advertising and entertainment and have several acquaintances who are "influencers." For random stuff too.
The problem with YouTube is that creating organic content that will naturally grow popular is RIDICULOUSLY hard. Thats why you have to be extremely nich (which will hurt your overall numbers...) and/or start your popularity off of Insta first and ride hard to convert into YT. With Insta, you can somewhat fake it for awhile and eventually with enough money and push, things can start happening. But not in YT. From your interests, it sounds like you are after the Seth Feroce target audience. And that didn't happen by accident....he's Seth Feroce and even then it was a slow build on YT.

Also, i think people underestimate "thinking of content." EVERYONE talks about nutrition/outdoors/guns/lifting...so what is your angle going to be? Its that simple. And even if you do have an interesting angle, you gotta go right back to the paragraph above...how does that get out? Just releasing a video does nothing. Thats why most YT influencers have multi-channel approach where they make an insta saying "NEW VIDEO IN MY BIO" and that stuff.

If it were easy, EVERYONE would do it man. I understand and it and know the industry and I could never do it. Far too much effort and time to give for it not to be guaranteed results. You have obviously worked very hard from your restaurant job to be where you're at now...and it shows your dedication. And with LOTS of jobs, just putting in the grunt work will eventually pay dividends. But not with this stuff. Entertainment stuff is truly luck. It's effort and time and money...and even then, people will do this for years without 1000 fans to show for it (1000 fans is nothing just for context). Just trying to give my 2 cents here.

I also didn't even touch the personality, likability, camera presence thing. That's a whole other animal.
As someone who works in a very similar field, OP needs to read this over and over.

True success on YouTube when starting at 0, no matter what your content, is astoundingly hard and getting harder every day. The majority of the work isn't the content you see and I promise you it's not formulaic like you're thinking.

Do you really want to work for yourself or do you really just want a job you enjoy doing most days?

As someone who works in a very similar field, OP needs to read this over and over.

True success on YouTube when starting at 0, no matter what your content, is astoundingly hard and getting harder every day. The majority of the work isn't the content you see and I promise you it's not formulaic like you're thinking.

Do you really want to work for yourself or do you really just want a job you enjoy doing most days?
Of course I want to work for myself. And I'm aware of the work that goes into youtube. I spend 4 to 5 hours editing a video that will end up less that 15 minutes as it is( this is coming down as I learned to do a better job of saving files that I can reuse rather than rebuild from scratch each single time) . Ive been at it since September and failing epically but I see that as part of the learning process.
I have no illusions about the amount of work it will take but I'm still convinced the odds of keeping a restaurant open past 5 years are lower and that, I do have over a decade of experience in.
What im hoping is on camera presence is a learned skill like executive presentations are and that its something I can practice until I figure out where I fit and what style suits me best.
For now, I can just make videos and do it intelligently since I don't rely on it for income.
We will just have to see how it goes.

I don't think we can really give the OP any actual advice on YouTube because success there is so based on personality, fitting a niche and current policy. Lucian/Jerry would be someone he could ask about this since he was on YT from the beginning. It seems like many of the successful channels are with people who also are running a successful business... And that was before youtube, youtube did not make that business, and these people would still be fine if they lost their channels.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws