over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T nutrition jobs

In order to work in a clinical setting, you have to have a minimum of an undergrad degree in nutrition/dietetics, completion of a dietetic internship (which is fairly competitive to get into), and pass your states RD exam. Some states these days require students to have completed a masters before they are eligible for an internship. Without all these, you cannot work in a clinical setting, unless you want to be like a kitchen diet aid staff...lol.

You may want to read these in order to get an idea of whether this is the direction you want to persue:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Keep in mind that Alan has a solid education of obtaining both a Masters in Nutrition and a Masters in Exercise Physiology, so he's put in some leg work even though he decided obtaining an RD wasn't for him.

There aren't too many jobs available through nutrition. As others have mentioned you would be best going on and doing your masters too as that is required for the roles you would want to be in. Ideally you would be looking at a dietitian role within a hospital... that is where the money and benefits are. From what I know gym's don't employ dietitians... mainly just personal trainers who could cater for their clients training and nutrition needs.

In certain locations (affluent) many seek self employed dietitians for their health goals... this brings me onto my next point. Nutritionist's seem to be popping up all over now. The law is the same in the US as it is here. Basically the title "nutritionist" is not subject to professional regulation (anyone can call themselves that). But dietitian is legally protected and you need to have the qualifications in order to call yourself that. Online trainers pop up all over now so that could be another option in the longterm... obviously combining nutrition, training and supplementation.

Don't look at gyms for anything as there is no mone unless your a freelance personal trainer with a contract to work in a gym. Otherwise you would be best looking up all your local hospitals and dietitians in general. Maybe look at job vacancies just to see what is available in your city a the moment for a rough guide. You would have to do a 4 year course and it would be fairly full on especially in the last 2 years so working full time would likely not be plausible. Although as you suggested night courses could be an option for the first few years.

I am in the same position as you now but I work for minimal wage and struggle to get by. Big shortage of jobs here now but I also got lazy with applications. I used to get paid 4 times what I do now so a big drop. I have been looking at similar as it's the only think I am passionate about.

Hell I wouldn't worry about obtaining a degree or any of that. You probably know twice as much now than any "dietician" or "nutritionist" out there. These idiots still believe in the Body Mass Index and all sorts of stupid shit that bodybuilders have disproven decades ago.

Hell I wouldn't worry about obtaining a degree or any of that. You probably know twice as much now than any "dietician" or "nutritionist" out there. These idiots still believe in the Body Mass Index and all sorts of stupid shit that bodybuilders have disproven decades ago.

Yep. Added to that satuated fat is really bad for you etc etc etc. Honestly when taking some exams I reckon I would be thinking do I write the correct answer or what the examination board thinks is the right answer. All the stuff we see on this forum today hasn't been seen by many nutrionists. Alot of them work with really fat people too so it's all basic (smaller portions, less fat and sugar etc) so they aren't really challenged... although all that info is good and effective for their patients. Times are changing but it is gonna take years.

yes but the issue is getting a job

no one will hire you unless you have the credentials in the nutrition industry, once you have the credentials then you can show the further knowledge you posses

You always have the option of going for a food science/chemistry degree as well. I got mine along with my nutrition degree, and if you are in the right area, most food science jobs will actually pay better than a majority of Dietitians positions. This of course will vary on the job and your geographical location. For example, some clinical RD positions may pay upward of 40.00 per hour, while going a town or two over will only offer half that amount.

Like I stated above, you don't need your RD if you are wanting to persue a more fitness oriented job position, but if you are wanting to work in a hospital, long-term care, most schools, prisons, etc, etc....you need to be a registered dietitian. Keep in mind that in a clinical setting, a lot of what applies for bodybuilders will not always apply for patients who have diabetes, renal failure, heart disease, tube feedings, etc. There are indeed some dumb RD's as stated above, and some of the guidelines are outdated, but there are just as many solid professionals with a solid science background who understand research and are able to think outside the box. Some of the guidelines in a clinical setting are used to protect the RD/health professional as well. Keep in mind that all professions have morons that make up their fields, so this is not just something exclusive to the nutrition and dietetics field....though I understand what you mean;)

You may want to check out the food science field, it is great if you live in an area that offers employment....it's one of those fun jobs that I think are overlooked, especially if you work in the product developemnt area for most companies. There are a LOT more options with a food science degree, if you decide to persue it.

Last edited:
In NYS you do not need a masters - you need a Bsc. from an ADA accredited program, plus a 900 hour clinical internship, then passing the board exams before you can work in a clinical setting.

I'm most of the way through the RD curriculum, and here's an idea of the pre-reqs -

1 year anatomy and physiology w/lab, 1 year general chemistry with lab. 1/2 year each organic chem and biochem, 1/2 yr microbiology, 1 full year food production/safety, 1/2 year algebra and trig, 1/2 year statistics. Those are just the pre-reqs. You'll then take your major courses which include nutrition communications, advanced nutrition and metabolism, energy and exercise, research methodologies etc....

It's not an easy curriculum and depending on what amount of undergrad work you have done, it will take about 5 years before you'll even be eligible to take the boards - it's a big undertaking. And yes, internships are competitive - I have a 3.6 gpa and still need to fight it out for a spot.....

In NYS you do not need a masters - you need a Bsc. from an ADA accredited program, plus a 900 hour clinical internship, then passing the board exams before you can work in a clinical setting.

I'm most of the way through the RD curriculum, and here's an idea of the pre-reqs -

1 year anatomy and physiology w/lab, 1 year general chemistry with lab. 1/2 year each organic chem and biochem, 1/2 yr microbiology, 1 full year food production/safety, 1/2 year algebra and trig, 1/2 year statistics. Those are just the pre-reqs. You'll then take your major courses which include nutrition communications, advanced nutrition and metabolism, energy and exercise, research methodologies etc....

It's not an easy curriculum and depending on what amount of undergrad work you have done, it will take about 5 years before you'll even be eligible to take the boards - it's a big undertaking. And yes, internships are competitive - I have a 3.6 gpa and still need to fight it out for a spot.....

That's the same out here in California. We only needed an undergrad Bsc degree to apply for a dietetic internship, but 2 years ago they bumped up the internship to 1200 hours from 900. Thank God that is all done.....very long year.

Good luck brother, and hang in there, it will eventually get done:)

If I could change my life all over again, I would have gotten a masters in chemistry and not been satisfied with a major in business and minor in chem. Really wish I had a better fall back plan with benefits lol.

Well, if he wants a good paying career and benefits he is going to have to play by the rules and jump through all of the hoops.

I will say that I was very unimpressed with the dietician that was assigned to me at the hospital, but I bet she is compensated pretty well.

Well, if he wants a good paying career and benefits he is going to have to play by the rules and jump through all of the hoops.

I will say that I was very unimpressed with the dietician that was assigned to me at the hospital, but I bet she is compensated pretty well.

Exactly. No matter how much you know about a subject it isnt something you can get by and get hired on without the degree.

Now that being said, I would recommend if you are needing to go back to school to look into the CLEP program and see how many courses you can pass and get credit for. Most people dont realize you can CLEP nearly the first two years of college.

I am thinking of switching fields of work and seeing what kind of potential there is in nutrition. I have been working in sales for the last few years but really do not enjoy what I do. I have a degree (BS) in finance, another field I have no interest in. I am thinking of trying to get an online BS in nutrition, then possibly following it up with a masters. I know this will be an investment, but I would rather do something I have interest in and am knowledgeable in.

Does anyone here work in nutrition or have a degree in nutrition? Can someone share their thoughts on the industry, what potential jobs there are, etc?

I would appreciate any help or feedback I can get. I am going to be 27 yrs old in a month and a half btw.

I think this is a great idea myself.depending on the area you live in.always been at o loss when trying to find my way financially.and the only thing that interests me is training and fitness.people drive me nuts always wanting my help for free everywhere.it even pisses the traininers off at the local gym.but I like helping others so I am a sucker and would rather see them doing it right and help them out.but at the same time I'm like that is some valuable info I just GAVE you.lol.i commend you in finding away to pursue your passion and get paid for it! Good luck bro.peace

And the problem with dietitians at the hospitals and things is they just like most docs don't understand a bodybuilders make up period.they will have you starving.i myself think that if a person has the funds to eat like John meadows says we would all be healthier bodybuilders.we will see when I get my next bloods done.

And the problem with dietitians at the hospitals and things is they just like most docs don't understand a bodybuilders make up period.they will have you starving.i myself think that if a person has the funds to eat like John meadows says we would all be healthier bodybuilders.we will see when I get my next bloods done.

Yes - in general, clinical dietetics has nothing to do with bodybuilding. It's dealing with inpatients and performing MNT (Medical Nutrition Therapy). You're dealing with diabetics, CKD, and many other issues that require a special diet.

Of course there are many avenues to follow, but that's the basics of it. You can get your CEC's in more of a sports nutrition concentration, start your own practice etc...

BB led me to a nutrition degree, and for people like me (or my buddy Brad who occasionally posts here) the BB background and interest in cutting edge nutrition compliment the degrees nicely, but many dieticians have no interest/background in BB.

That's the same out here in California. We only needed an undergrad Bsc degree to apply for a dietetic internship, but 2 years ago they bumped up the internship to 1200 hours from 900. Thank God that is all done.....very long year.

Good luck brother, and hang in there, it will eventually get done:)

Thanks man! It's been a long road but I hope to finish in the next few years. Had to put off my senior year due to my wife's career, but that's ok.

I did manage to finish an Asc. in nutrition/life science because I did all my pre-reqs at a 2 year school (much more econimically viable, my Bsc. is at a 30k per year school - and I even got an 11k scholarship when i transferred but still - fucking expensive!) so that's good. I'm working on my ACSM PT cert so I can work doing that for a while, then go back and finish up.

I do a little fitness freelance writing too and I got a couple pieces in the MET-Rx magazine, so between that and maybe training I can make a living until I can finish the RD.

Thanks for the encouragement, and good luck with your career! : )

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws