over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T Patient Cured of HIV

Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'

Just think where we might be if W. hadnt cut off federal funding of stem cell research for so long

First of all this is by no means a cure, there could be so many complications, they have tried these same treatments for MS, and spinal chord injuries and muscle wasting diseases, and they always seem to have some success at first and then the whole thing comes crashing down with all kinds of rejections by the body. I have been following these studies for years. The stem cell research never stopped, it was regulated because there were lots of labs who used artificial insemination to create human life , just to destroy it for studies,simply unethical, these guys were making millions doing this. So they are still doing the research, but now they are using adult stem cell and the stem cells from umbilical chords, but stem cell therapy is still very dangerous, and a lot of unknowns, so don't buy into this notion that this is the cure for HIV, just not true, I wish it were the truth, but it is a lot more complicated than that. God bless you bro.

The HuffPo doesn't really get into what was required to achieve this. Its a little more than just pop in a few stem cells. First the man had to totally have his immune system eradicated, then have a complete bone marrow transplant. Here is a more complete story.

Researchers report possible HIV infection cure; others cite dangers - CNN.com

Researchers report possible HIV infection cure; others cite dangers
By Tom Watkins, CNN
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* A Berlin man has been off anti-AIDS medication for 3-1/2 years
* But the stem-cell transplant credited for ridding him of HIV is costly, dangerous
* "This is probably a cure, but it comes at a bit of a price," says one AIDS doctor

(CNN) -- Researchers in Germany are reporting that they may have cured a man of HIV infection. If true, that would represent a scientific advance, but not necessarily a treatment advance, said researchers familiar with the work.

In the study, published last week online in the journal Blood, researchers at Charite-University Medicine Berlin treated an HIV-infected man who also had acute myeloid leukemia -- a cancer of the immune system -- by wiping out his own immune system with high-dose chemotherapy and radiation and giving him a stem-cell transplant. Stem cells are immature cells that can mature into blood cells.

At the time of the transplant, which occurred in February 2007, he stopped taking anti-HIV medications.

Why HIV advance isn't a universal cure

Thirteen months later, after a relapse of the leukemia, he underwent a second round of treatment followed by another stem-cell transplant from the same donor.

The donor's stem cells contained a rare, inherited gene mutation that made them naturally resistant to infection with HIV, according to the authors, led by Kristina Allers, who hypothesized that HIV would nevertheless rebound over time. But that has not happened.

After three-and-a-half years off of anti-HIV drugs, the patient shows no sign of either leukemia or HIV replication and his immune system has been restored to normal health, the researchers reported, concluding, "our results strongly suggest that cure of HIV has been achieved in this patient."

But AIDS researchers predicted the report will have little impact on practice.

"This probably is a cure, but it comes at a bit of a price," said Dr. Michael Saag, professor of medicine and director of the University of Alabama at Birmingham AIDS Center.

"For him to receive the donor cells, his body had to have all of his immune system wiped out" and then receive a bone marrow transplant, Saag noted. "The Catch-22 here is that the best candidates for a cure, ideally, are people who are healthy" and don't have leukemia.

The treatment associated with wiping out the immune system "is very hazardous," he said in a telephone interview.

"Even if somebody doesn't die from a transplant, there are complications that make it very unpleasant for people to live with," he said, citing graft-versus-host disease, where the infused donor cells attack the body. In a number of cases, the transplant proves fatal.

The study is a proof of the concept "that our understanding of HIV biology is correct, and that if you eliminate -- not just in theory but in practice -- all of the cells in the body that are producing HIV and replace them with uninfected cells, you have a cure," Saag said.

But remaining infected with HIV is not always associated with the same grim outcome that was the norm prior to the mid-1990s, when more effective anti-HIV drugs were developed, he said.

"We can keep people alive for a normal life span," he said. "That means a 25-year-old diagnosed today with HIV has a reasonably good chance of living to 80, 85, 90."

Further limiting the treatment's potential appeal is the fact that it could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for each patient who gets it, he said.

"It's not going to be applicable unless they develop leukemia or lymphoma and need a bone-marrow transplant,"Saag said.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, called it impractical. "It's hard enough to get a good compatible match for a transplant like this," he said in a statement. "But you also have to find (a) compatible donor that has this genetic defect, and this defect is only found in 1% of the Caucasian population and 0% of the black population. This is very rare."

But HIV itself is not. According to the World Health Organization, 33.4 million people worldwide have the virus that causes AIDS.

Considering this tech is in its infancy, I think this is a very exciting development. Equally exciting is this "**broken link removed**" Rub some stem cells on it! :D

First of all this is by no means a cure, there could be so many complications, they have tried these same treatments for MS, and spinal chord injuries and muscle wasting diseases, and they always seem to have some success at first and then the whole thing comes crashing down with all kinds of rejections by the body. I have been following these studies for years. The stem cell research never stopped, it was regulated because there were lots of labs who used artificial insemination to create human life , just to destroy it for studies,simply unethical, these guys were making millions doing this. So they are still doing the research, but now they are using adult stem cell and the stem cells from umbilical chords, but stem cell therapy is still very dangerous, and a lot of unknowns, so don't buy into this notion that this is the cure for HIV, just not true, I wish it were the truth, but it is a lot more complicated than that. God bless you bro.

I wasn't saying we have a cure for hiv. Just thought it was a pretty amazing story.

Bush put a ban on funding of research using new embryonic, pluripotent stem cell lines. These happen to be the stem cells with the most potential for research. Bush's ban set back research a great deal, forcing researchers to use existing cell lines, many of which had been contaminated. I for one think that the left-over embryos from in vitro procedures would be better used for research that could potentially save many lives, rather than letting them sit a freezer until they are no longer viable.

They can get stem cells from a # of places including your own skin. It's not just about feti.(?) And you could say that they have a cure for HIV... because they actually did cure it.

I wasn't saying we have a cure for hiv. Just thought it was a pretty amazing story.

Bush put a ban on funding of research using new embryonic, pluripotent stem cell lines. These happen to be the stem cells with the most potential for research. Bush's ban set back research a great deal, forcing researchers to use existing cell lines, many of which had been contaminated. I for one think that the left-over embryos from in vitro procedures would be better used for research that could potentially save many lives, rather than letting them sit a freezer until they are no longer viable.

it is a slippery slope friend, to create embryos for the sole purpose of research ,next step is clone humans for body parts , and there is a school of scientists who strongly disagree that these embryonic stem cells are any better than adult or chord stem cells for research, as a matter of fact there are multiple treatments that use adult stem cells very effectively. God bless you friend. Minister.

The stem cells in this case came from the donor's bone marrow, not from a fetus.

Stem cells from adults definitely have a lot of potential also. But they are already somewhat differentiated.

i agree a line has to be drawn somewhere, but using a single cell embryo for research and growing a fully formed human for organ/bodypart harvesting are very different things.

i can understand not creating embryos for the sole purpose of research, but it's tough to see the logic in not using ones already there.

They can get stem cells from a # of places including your own skin. It's not just about feti.(?) And you could say that they have a cure for HIV... because they actually did cure it.

I wouldn't call this a cure, this was a 3 year process with a bunch of different procedures and finally this man was blessed to receive stem cells with a very rare gene , and this gene's antibodies happen to be HIV resistant,I don't know if you know this , but there is a gene in some people that has this resistance to HIV, very rare , very few people, he must have gotten lucky and receive someone's cells with this gene, minimal odds of this happening with every treatment, and he has only been a couple of years in remission, I would say, wait and see a bit longer, a few of the doctors involved in this admitted on doubting that this is a cure and they expect the HIV to eventually come back. I would say this a crap shoot instead of cure. A cure is something you can give to everyone infected with a certain ailment and the result is wiping out the ailment out of their bodies, like a Polio vaccine or something along those lines, not some lucky isolated incident. too early to say. Blessings brothers. Minister.

I wouldn't call this a cure, this was a 3 year process with a bunch of different procedures and finally this man was blessed to receive stem cells with a very rare gene , and this gene's antibodies happen to be HIV resistant,I don't know if you know this , but there is a gene in some people that has this resistance to HIV, very rare , very few people, he must have gotten lucky and receive someone's cells with this gene, minimal odds of this happening with every treatment, and he has only been a couple of years in remission, I would say, wait and see a bit longer, a few of the doctors involved in this admitted on doubting that this is a cure and they expect the HIV to eventually come back. I would say this a crap shoot instead of cure. A cure is something you can give to everyone infected with a certain ailment and the result is wiping out the ailment out of their bodies, like a Polio vaccine or something along those lines, not some lucky isolated incident. too early to say. Blessings brothers. Minister.

It turns out that the gene that causes hiv resistance also does the same to the black plague. that is why it is much more common in northern europeans and almost nonexistent in african, asian, and native american peoples. because the gene was selected for during the dark ages when the plague was rampant....fun science fact of the day lol

It turns out that the gene that causes hiv resistance also does the same to the black plague. that is why it is much more common in northern europeans and almost nonexistent in african, asian, and native american peoples. because the gene was selected for during the dark ages when the plague was rampant....fun science fact of the day lol

This whole discussion is fascinating , but the kind of money that is spent on these studies is astronomical, I bet you they spent millions of dollars to get where they got with this guy, this case has been in the news off and on for years, but there is no way they could spend this kind of money on every individual case, and this was so complicated , that they don't even know if they could get same results with another subject , and that's why I don't think they have discovered a cure, just my opinion, God bless you brother

Stem Cell technology is exciting and should be researched heavily with tons of money thrown at it. I believe genetic engineering and cloning should be studied heavily as well. The ethical argument is BS imo, who cares if some religious fanatics want to continue living in the stone age. The religious zealots can always have the option of living without technological advancements if they want to, they can move to an Amish community, they shouldnt hold back progress.

The US can let fanatic religious nutjobs hold back progress, but the more forward thinking countries of the world will pass us by and laugh at us.

If it turns out that it does not come back then yes, it is a "cure".

A cure does not have to come in the form of a vaccine and if these several, agonizing, expensive and painful steps can lead to people ridding themselves of HIV, then yes it is a cure and possibly the biggest scientific break through of the last few decades.

Very promising but we also need to take a look at how rapidly our population is growing. Soon there will simply be too many people for the planet to support and there goes wildlife, hunting, forests and the whole lot. As terrible as it may sound we NEED some type of population control, whether it is gov mandated or a disease. Darwinism has lost its edge, with every bum being able to live off of others and even if we only have 2 children per couple, to replace ourselves, the population STILL increases due to the low age parents have children at and what long lives we live. :cool:

Stem Cell technology is exciting and should be researched heavily with tons of money thrown at it. I believe genetic engineering and cloning should be studied heavily as well. The ethical argument is BS imo, who cares if some religious fanatics want to continue living in the stone age. The religious zealots can always have the option of living without technological advancements if they want to, they can move to an Amish community, they shouldnt hold back progress.

The US can let fanatic religious nutjobs hold back progress, but the more forward thinking countries of the world will pass us by and laugh at us.

So, if you have ethics and a moral stand on not creating lives to destroy them, or creating whole human beings for spare parts you are a nutjob? I would look at it in a different way, those of us who oppose the everything goes approach when it comes to all this research, are keeping things in check. We like progress and support the kind of research that do not require destroying life . God bless you friend.

Seems like "progress" but a "cure" im not convinced. When there is a cure for such a poilical disease which kills a millifraction of any other named disease the resercher will win the Nobel Prize. Time wil tell here. Guess will see.
Actually upon futher review... It states "[While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found, they can certainly provide hope for the more than 33 million people living with HIV worldwide."
They cant "cure" the common cold, herpes, genital warts, shigles- and the list goes on...other much less simple viruses so hopes for this being IT should not be so optimistic. Just because they can detect no virus in the system does not by any means quantify its not there. Magic Johnson and Tommy Morrison (possibly)have gone through "phases" where the virus cannot be detected but it ALWAYS rears its ugly head. Maybe these guys are looking for a little "funding" who knows but when/if there is a cure you wll not here it on the Huffington Post first- I assure you. Can they increase life span and qulity of life? yes. Is there a cure? NO

Last edited:
Seems like "progress" but a "cure" im not convinced. When there is a cure for such a poilical disease which kills a millifraction of any other named disease the resercher will win the Nobel Prize. Time wil tell here. Guess will see.

I agree,this is no cure, just publicity to convince the public that we gotta give a free pass to all kinds of stem research no questions asked. There have been other cases where the HIV virus was eradicated from the subject, just to come back later, I hope they find a cure but this is not it. Blessings friends.

Being in the medical profession, this very exciting news!! I am definitely FOR any and all research to help improve/prolong life.......do we grow and kill animals so that we can eat and grow ourselves??...so WTF is the difference???....Guess you would have to see what I see day in and day out to really appreciate advancement(regardless of how)in medical technology to improve/prolong life!!

Being in the medical profession, this very exciting news!! I am definitely FOR any and all research to help improve/prolong life.......do we grow and kill animals so that we can eat and grow ourselves??...so WTF is the difference???....Guess you would have to see what I see day in and day out to really appreciate advancement(regardless of how)in medical technology to improve/prolong life!!

Wow, here is a guy I want in charge, there is no difference in between animals and human beings. So, let's say your child and your dog were both bit by a venomous snake, I show up with enough antidote to save just one of them, You would actually have a hard time deciding who to save? because there is no difference between animals and human beings, at least in your view. Blessings friend.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws