over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Old School Leg Press Picture

I wonder if it has been photo shopped. Something just isnt right.

That was my first thought. I went downstairs and tried to do this with one plate on each side , my kids were spotting me and it was freaking hard , no way you can do that with all that weight unless you have some kind of special shoes. God bless you. Minister.

There is another....

This might be real...

- there is a similar/identical picture of a guy in his 60's doing the same LP (same "era" too maybe based on clothing) with a guy on each side standing close to spot.

- Maybe the spotters were out of camera range on this one?

- If you look closely at this guys shoes, it does have a high heal the bar could rest upon.

Found it....

Here...

Attachments

• Zercher-LegPress.jpg
    Zercher-LegPress.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 984
Leg Press not photoshopped

This is my first post.I started training in 1963. There was little equipment and we had to be creative.The top picture is Wilbur Miller who was a Midwestern power lifting competitor when power lifting was in it's infancy.The old man appears to be Leslie Carson who wrote for Ironman magazine in the late 1960's. I used to do this Leg Press inside my York Portable power rack.The weight slid against the posts if you lost balance and the posts were close together on that rack.Men in those days were rugged.There was little steroid use and only the champions were taking dianabol.Those pictures are real.

This is my first post.I started training in 1963. There was little equipment and we had to be creative.The top picture is Wilbur Miller who was a Midwestern power lifting competitor when power lifting was in it's infancy.The old man appears to be Leslie Carson who wrote for Ironman magazine in the late 1960's. I used to do this Leg Press inside my York Portable power rack.The weight slid against the posts if you lost balance and the posts were close together on that rack.Men in those days were rugged.There was little steroid use and only the champions were taking dianabol.Those pictures are real.

Cool first post, Elliot. Good to have you here.

I saw a guy doing these yesterday, but with a Smith Machine. Looked complicated and unfriendly. I won't be trying that.

I heard they would bench with out uprights back in the day. They has some way of sitting down with the weight and then pressing it? Any know?

Old School Leg Press and bench press

I feel ancient to you young fellows.There were no uprights for bench presses in the 1930's-1950's.Most of the old timers did Parallel Dips. In the 1930's Steve Stanko did bent arm pullovers and bench presses.Steve Stanko was the first Olympic lifter to total 1000 pounds.He developed phlebitis and could not exercise standing for a spell.He won Mr America in the early 1940's.John Terry was an olympic lifter who trained in a church basement and benched without uprights. You cleaned the weight and laid back rolling the weight up your stomach.When you finished you reversed the process.Reg Park did the Floor Press training in the late 1940's. A lot of fellows did the Floor Press in those old days. Now Louie Simmons uses those for"modern" training" training.In the 1940's the fellows were big on incline dumbell pressing.The 1945 Mr America Clancy Ross could use 150 pound dumbells. Steve Reeves and George Eiferman used this exercise.

Leg Press on Smith Machine

This is an interesting variation.I just do not see how their feet can spin bar off safety hooks. I own a private training gym. I have the Medx Leg Press and Nautilus 2st. I bought a Vertical Leg Press yesterday for $50 at a garage sale. It rubs and makes noise.However did Toe Presses for my calves and a lot of high rep sets of Leg Presses and was quite sore the next day.I have Smith Machine that no one uses.I think if I were to disconnect the hooks so the bar is able to move freely and then put stoppers at the correct bottom height for safety the exercise would work. Then if I use the back rest from my $50 vertical machine I would have the right angle to lay.You can only do this if you own the gym of course.Obviously you cannot go to a commercial gym with your tool box and touch their equipment.

Old School, FUCKING DANGEROUS one slip and his Junk is gone forever :banghead:

Eliot that's cool stuff and I love hearing old school stories from the 50-60's.

I did actually think that the first pic was of Olympic lifter dick notmeyer. Although you are probably right.
I'm certain is is not photo shopped as I've seen this pic a long time ago and just think that years ago they tried crazy shit like this without worrying

I'm surprised the trainers at the gym don't do that while balancing on a ball.

old leg press

The times were different.There were few gyms and only men went and were considered odd by the public.The equipment was not the computer designed low friction stuff made today.The youngsters who train at my gym do not appreciate the safe equipment made today that do not destroy joints.However the old time guys trained hard and built great physiques.Enthusiasm was always the secret.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws