over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

One Workout per WeeK?

UNDERSTANDING RECOVERY: A WOUND HEALING MODEL

by Dave Staplin

To understand and study the process of muscle recovery and repair, it is useful to develop a MODEL. Modeling the biochemical reactions to stress and the observed effects such as soreness allow for a better understanding of the events and TIME COURSE necessary for muscle recovery. Such a model comes from the study of the wound healing process; particularly the inflammatory reponse (7,9). Whenever muscle cells are subjected to high intensity anaerobic training stress, damage occurs at the cellular level (1-4,7-9). The DEGREE of damage depends upon the degree of intensity--the higher the intensity, the greater the damage (2,4,5,7,9,10). It is the process of healing this damage which then makes the muscle cell larger and stronger(2,9).

Recovery from training stress requires a number of steps; each of which must proceed to completion UNINTERRUPTED for COMPLETE recovery and adaptive response (7,9). While the exact mechanisms are unclear at the present time and subject to further research and clarification, it is thought that acute inflammation is the initial response to muscle cell damage (7,9,10). This is especially the case where high intensity eccentric work is performed such as Negative Training, Hyper Training or when accentuating the Lowering of the weight during standard repetitions. Delayed-onset muscle soreness is thought to be one of the effects of this acute inflammatory response as well (1-8,10). This sequence of events occurs in the following manner and time:

Connective and/or contractile tissue (muscle cell) damage occurs during intense muscular contraction, particularly eccentric action (1-10).
Within the first 24 hours, levels of neutrophils (white blood cells which respond to injury) increase and migrate to the site of injury or exercise trauma (1,6,9).
At the same time, lysosomal enzymes which digest and break down damaged tissue are released and this breakdown activity commences (3,6,8,9,10).
Macrophages (cells which aid lysosomes and synthesize a variety of chemicals in response to inflammation) begin to accumulate around 24 hours and continue to do so for up to several days. One of the chemicals these cells secrete, PGE2, is believed to make nerves , more sensitive to pain and may help explain soreness sensations starting 24 hours or so after exercise, and lasting for as long as 7 or more days (1-7,9,10).
This inflammatory response causes further damage to the affected area and may continue for several days beyond imposition of the INITIAL training stress damage (1,6,7,9).
Once these initial inflammatory responses (steps 1-5) are completed, then signs of the BEGINNINGS of tissue regeneration (rebuilding of the muscle) can be observed (4,7,9).
The muscle cell must first rebuild to normal levels of structure and function and then, only then, and only IF allowed FURTHER TIME, will it supercompensate and build up to levels GREATER than before. The next question is: How long does this ENTIRE process take?

It must be remembered that the severity of response and so the time necessary to complete it vary according to the degree of trauma or in this case, the intensity of the work, the muscle has been subjected to (2,4,5,10). Numerous studies have examined this response process, especially with eccentric contractions (1-10). The time course for completion of the above 6 steps ranges from 5 days to over 6 weeks (1-10)! This has profound implications regarding FREQUENCY of training! The more intense your training, the longer you must allow for recovery. If you add 50% to the weight you normally use for high intensity repetitions and then proceed to perform NEGATIVE repetitions, you have just dramatically increased the stress and therefore the TIME necessary for the muscle to recover. One concrete training example may help further clarify these ideas.

From mid-July to mid-October 1997, my training partner and I increased our Squat and Deadlift poundages 49% and 70%, respectively. We used standard repetition protocol--2 seconds concentric (raising) and 4 second eccentric (lowering). We terminated sets when no more full-range, unassisted reps were possible. In other words, we performed no Forced Reps, Negatives or any other technique which would have increased the intensity of the sets. Further, we had been performing only 2 sets per workout every 7 days on Mike's Consolidation Routine.

By early November, we had experienced 2 consecutive workouts with no further progress in any of our sets. We then took 23 days off. We returned to the gym and we were now able to add 10% to the Squat poundages for the same number of reps as our previous squat workout AND we had not performed squats for 30 days!

At first, this may seem beyond belief--an absolute impossibility! Not, however, if you understand recovery from the standpoint of the inflammatory response and recovery model outlined in steps 1-6 above. It is important to never forget that high intensity anaerobic weight training stress is a study properly subsumed under the heading of MEDICAL SCIENCE. As such, medical science can teach us much, but as pioneers in the field of high intensity, anaerobic exercise, so too can we teach medical science much!

1) Clarkson, PM, Nosaka, K. Muscle function after exercise-induced muscle damage and rapid adaptation. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. Vol.24, No.5, 512-20, 1992

2) Clarkson, PM, Tremblay, I. Exercise-induced muscle damage, repair and adaptation in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology. Vol.65, No.1, 1-6, 1988

3) Friden, J.,et al Myofibrillar damage following intense eccentric exercise in man. International Journal of Sports Medicine. Vol.24, No.3, 170-176,1983

4) Golden, CL, Dudley, GA., Strength after bouts of eccentric or concentric actions. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. Vol.24, No.8, 926-33, 1992

5) Howell, JN, Chleboun,G., Muscle stiffness, strength loss, swelling and soreness following exercise-induced injury to humans. Journal of Physiology 464, 183-96, 1993

6) Jones, DA, Newham, JM., et al, Experimental human muscle damage: morphological changes in relation to other indices of damage. Journal of Physiology 375, 435-48, 1986

7) Mishra, DK, Friden, J., et al Anti-inflammatory medication after muscle injury. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol. 77-A, No.10, 1510-19, 1995 8) Newman, DJ, Jones, DA., Repeated high-force eccentric exercise: effects on muscle pain and damage. Journal of Applied Physiology Vol.4, No.63, 1381-86, 1987

9) Smith, LL. Acute inflammation: the underlying mechanism in delayed onset muscle soreness? Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise Vol. 23, No.5, 542-51, 1991

10) Tiidus, PM, Ianuzzo, DC., Effects of intensity and duration of muscular exercise on delayed soreness and serum enzyme activities. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise Vol. 15, No.6, 461-5, 1983

While rest is necessary for muscle growth, what he says about waiting a month to do another leg workout is bs IMO. I don't think somebody can become stronger on squats by waiting a month in between workouts. I and many other people I know actually become weaker when taking a month off.

While it's obvious that someone isn't gonna be able to build muscle doing 1 workout per week, it would at least keep your muscles toned IMO.. Squeezing every body part into that 1 workout, you're not gonna be able to max out and hit each muscle group with intensity.. But if it was just light to moderate weight, it's gonna keep you toned, and is still gonna be better than nothing IMO..

here is the my workout (once a week):

pull-ups (3x10)
bench (warm up set, 3x5-6 reps heavy weight)
Military press (warm up set, 3x5-6 reps) -super set- w/ abs
Curls -super set- tris, pull downs (warm up set, 3x5-6 reps each)
Pull down (back) (3x5-6 reps)
Leg Press

what do you think? what would you change for max mass/strength?

thanks!

Are you a hardgainer? Are you a novice lifter? If so then this will work for you. If your new to lifting you need to build a foundation. You need to learn the body mechanics of the exercises and let your body adapt. Once you get stronger and start to fill out in time you will need to change to a more advance workout. I was a hardgainer and had to reduce my work outs. I was surprised how I started to grow. In time you will understand how your body works and how to stress your muscles to stimulate them. The mind muscle link. You may not get this link for a very long time but once you do it makes working out most enjoyable.

Before this I was always traumatizing my body so it will never recover. It's easy to do when your young. Once I got my foundation and developed a decent body I could maintain it with 1 or 2 workouts per week when life's responsibilties became first priority.

What do you think of the workout?

objectives: strength first, mass second

Power movements only...

Mon. (push)

bench
military press
Leg Press
calf press
Dips
abs

Fri. (Pull)
pull ups
Pull downs
deadlifts
abs

What do you think? what would you change?

Instead of your first choice routine, I would go with this one. If you cannot recover from this, dilute the routine down to the bare basics. Military press, bench, squat, bentover rows. You must add weight each week in small increments otherwise it will not do a thing for you. This is what I did.

Here is my current one:

Me:
30 yrs old
6'1'

Experience:
Lifting off and on for 14 yrs

Goals:
Gain 10 lbs
Functional Strength and Size

Objective with current routine:
To be consistent and build a sold strength base for heavier weight

Current Weekly Routine

Note: All work sets are 5-6 reps minimum to failure

Tuesday (push)
Bench (Pushups warm up set, 1 warm up set, 2 work sets)
Military press (1 warm up set, 2 work sets)
Leg press (1 warm up set, 3 x 12+ reps)
Calf press (1 warm up set, 3 x 12+ reps)
Dips (2 x failure) or Tricep push downs (3 work set)
Abs

Thursday (Pull)
Pull ups (1 set front grip, 1 set rear grip, both to failure)
Pull downs (1 warm up set, 2 work sets)
Rear delts (3 x 10) SS Cable curls (3 work sets)
Deadlifts (1 warm up set, 3 x 12+ reps)
Abs

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Maxx

Twice a week can work pretty decent but once a week is too low. It's like going from 1000 grams of test a week to only 200. One can maintain some muscle on 200 but much will be lost.

I used to do a triple split workout 2X per week. I was what you would call a hard-gainer. After years of following a triple split 2X/wk program (moderate progress), I switched to a Push/Pull workout on M,W,F. The program rotates so that one week I get push, pull then push and the next week is pull, push then pull again. This way I get 3 of each workouts every 14 days or each bodypart gets hit about every 5 days. This is the 1st time during a contest prep that I have maintained my weight as I have lost bodyfat!
IMO finding what works for you is the important thing.

two questions for the forum:

(1) Are there any disadvantages to only working out once per week and doing a full body routine? With or without a cycle.

(2) Are there any disadvantage to only doing 1 (2 max) exercises per muscle group? Example: one exercises for bis and one for tris.

Thanks,
MAXX

answer 1: it is better than nothing, but research (clinical and empiracle) show that in order to maintain a minimum of 2 sessions per week is needed.

answer 2: no there is nothing wrong with this protocol provided you are training intensely and rotating exercises.

Here is my current one:

Me:
30 yrs old
6'1'

Experience:
Lifting off and on for 14 yrs

Goals:
Gain 10 lbs
Functional Strength and Size

Objective with current routine:
To be consistent and build a sold strength base for heavier weight

Current Weekly Routine

Note: All work sets are 5-6 reps minimum to failure

Tuesday (push)
Bench (Pushups warm up set, 1 warm up set, 2 work sets)
Military press (1 warm up set, 2 work sets)
Leg press (1 warm up set, 3 x 12+ reps)
Calf press (1 warm up set, 3 x 12+ reps)
Dips (2 x failure) or Tricep push downs (3 work set)
Abs

Thursday (Pull)
Pull ups (1 set front grip, 1 set rear grip, both to failure)
Pull downs (1 warm up set, 2 work sets)
Rear delts (3 x 10) SS Cable curls (3 work sets)
Deadlifts (1 warm up set, 3 x 12+ reps)
Abs

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Maxx

not a bad routine, why only 2 times per week training? for max strength and size a push, pull, legs routine is tried and true, its worked for many for years.

Monday Legs:

squat 5sx5
bulgarian split squat: 3sx8-12 per leg
Romanian deadlift: 3sx8-12
Calves: 4sx10-20
Incline sit-ups: 4sx10-20
Plank holds: 4sx30-60- seconds

Tuesday Push

flat or incline bench: 5sx5
close grip bench: 3sx8-12
standing or seated db overhead press: 3sx10-12
Triceps extensions: 4sx12-20
side lateral raises: 4sx12-20
situps: 4sx12-20

Friday Pull

Deadlift: 6sx1 (not a max, wave load from 75%-90% 1rm dont do heavy deads AND heavy squats in same week all the time)
Pull-ups: 3sxmax
t-bar or db row: 3sx8-12
face pulls: 4sx10-12
hammer curls: 4sx8-10
rear delt flys: 4sx10-20
v-situps: 4sx10-20

try this for 3 weeks, on the 4th week drop the weights to about 70% of what you worked up to and increase the volume...on the 5th week choose new exercises but following the same template

you can certainly grow muscle training it once every 7 days. the problem becomes an energy issue as the training progresses. i am a fairly high volume guy and i would simply run out of steam long before the end. i could possibly pull off a double split in one day and train the whole body. maybe something like back/arms then the other session legs/chest/calves. except the chest may suffer some from having trained triceps earlier in day. so maybe back/biceps/calves and then later legs/chest/tris

If it's b/c of time constraints that you would only be able to work out once a week, then fine, do it. But do this instead:

Squat: ALL THE WAS DOWN! 3-4 warm up sets and then 1 set with a goal of 5-6 reps with as heavy as you can get, again, going all the way down!

Bench: Same exact thing. Warm ups then 1 set of 5-6 reps.

Conventional DL: 1-2 warm up sets mostly for technique (already warm from squats) and then once set of 6-8 reps. Don't wimp out. Go as heavy as you can for all 6-8.

By the time you've done all three, it will have taken about 1 hour. You will be so wiped out and couldn't possibly do another exercise. If you aren't wiped out then you didn't go heavy enough.

This is what I would do if I could only work out once a week.

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner