over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pull Ups vs Chin Ups

Tough Old Man

Kilo Klub Member
On some of these threads For lats I keep seeing chins ups...Is everyone referring to pull ups (palms facing away from you) and not chin ups. Would chin ups be better then wide grip cable pulldowns (palms facing away from you) for lats?

I actually like chinups (palms facing you) when biceps are beginning to stop growing. Throw in chins as your back width movement, drop your bicep exercise and have at it. Add 50lbs to your chinups and watch what happens to your biceps.

Yes

I actually like chinups (palms facing you) when biceps are beginning to stop growing. Throw in chins as your back width movement, drop your bicep exercise and have at it. Add 50lbs to your chinups and watch what happens to your biceps.

Watch them rip off of the bone.........bad choice of exercises

terminology off i think

I believe chin ups refers to keeping the hands pronated, palms away from you. Pull ups refers to supinated, with palms facing you. I agree with Phil about not doing pull ups for biceps. I have strained mine more than a few times, and thats doing chins. Chins of course do not stress the biceps as much. Still get a lot of action though, along with the brachialis muscle.

Well

I believe chin ups refers to keeping the hands pronated, palms away from you. Pull ups refers to supinated, with palms facing you. I agree with Phil about not doing pull ups for biceps. I have strained mine more than a few times, and thats doing chins. Chins of course do not stress the biceps as much. Still get a lot of action though, along with the brachialis muscle.

Chins are hands supinated, palms facing you...........pull ups are hands pronated, palms away..........that is what I was referring to.

pullups as wide as you can go is some of the best back/lat development i have gotten that i attribute it to at least

pull ups and TBAR For upperback

cable and low rows for middle or bentover etc etc

hypers or DLs for lowerback goodmornings are okay

On some of these threads For lats I keep seeing chins ups...Is everyone referring to pull ups (palms facing away from you) and not chin ups. Would chin ups be better then wide grip cable pulldowns (palms facing away from you) for lats?

To each their own, but most people spend way too much time with internally rotated shoulders (which supinated chinups reinforce). If you have a good posture and dont carry your arms in an internally rotated and forward position, then maybe chins are ok if you can do them pain free.

Otherwise, stick to a netural grip or pronated grip. Personally, I dont believe wide grip chins are useful because they tend to limit range of motion and poundages, and reduce your leverage taken by your lats (and increased uptake by the shoulder girdle). I think a medium grip overhand is sufficient

lol.....you can always count on phil to tell you like it is

ooooorr...to say something rediculous/brash/disrespectful/immature/lacking in science/speculative/demeaning/full of hot air etc.

Yes

ooooorr...to say something rediculous/brash/disrespectful/immature/lacking in science/speculative/demeaning/full of hot air etc.

The King of......" I am going to wait to take AAS" .......but then goes on and uses superdrol.....hahaahahahha.....Gyno is fitting

Watch them rip off of the bone.........bad choice of exercises

all things being equal (which they never are) you are being rather dramatic.:rolleyes: I managed to go from 10xBW to 14xbw+95lbs, the only that happned was an extra 3/4 of an inch to my arms (natural).
Now, form was what I would call picture perfect up until about the BW+80lb mark. This was also done over the course of about 7 months. To just look at an exercise and deem it dangerous is, well, I've been using the word silly alot lately, so I'll go with that...silly. I don't recall who it was, Levrone or Dorian, but one of them tore their bicep doing light warm up sets on the pull down machine...

Of course, just sitting on the couch would be waaay safer than anything...:)

YES!

all things being equal (which they never are) you are being rather dramatic.:rolleyes: I managed to go from 10xBW to 14xbw+95lbs, the only that happned was an extra 3/4 of an inch to my arms (natural).
Now, form was what I would call picture perfect up until about the BW+80lb mark. This was also done over the course of about 7 months. To just look at an exercise and deem it dangerous is, well, I've been using the word silly alot lately, so I'll go with that...silly. I don't recall who it was, Levrone or Dorian, but one of them tore their bicep doing light warm up sets on the pull down machine...

Of course, just sitting on the couch would be waaay safer than anything...:)

And you were on superdrol and your blood work looked like crap......

HDL- <15
LDL- Total cholesterol (191) - HDL
AST- 151
ALT- 452......remember this post? But hey, you got up to an 80LB dumbell...........YAHOO!!!

The King of......" I am going to wait to take AAS" .......but then goes on and uses superdrol.....hahaahahahha.....Gyno is fitting

Way to prove my point bud.

Also, I believe alot of people, including Dante recommend getting as strong as naturally possible (thats me), then stepping up to some of the OTC PH/DS (me again), and THEN jumping on the "gravy train" (not me yet). I think my choice is just fine.

And you were on superdrol and your blood work looked like crap......

HDL- <15
LDL- Total cholesterol (191) - HDL
AST- 151
ALT- 452......remember this post? But hey, you got up to an 80LB dumbell...........YAHOO!!!

First of all, what on earth does this have to do with anything? Sometimes Phil, I really wonder where you are coming from. If someone doesn't respond to your virtual jousts you start grasping straws...dont you?

Secondly, I was completely free of exogenous hormones when I went from bwx10 to bw+85x14 on that exercise. 85lbs + 2 reps is alright in my book...especially with no ergo aids.

Well

First of all, what on earth does this have to do with anything? Sometimes Phil, I really wonder where you are coming from. If someone doesn't respond to your virtual jousts you start grasping straws...dont you?

Secondly, I was completely free of exogenous hormones when I went from bwx10 to bw+85x14 on that exercise. 85lbs + 2 reps is alright in my book...especially with no ergo aids.

I am coming from a professional bodybuilding point of view........someone who has been doing this for many years. I think you are full of yourself and are a wanabe.......know it all who has not walked the walk.........until you prove me wrong I have no respect for you or your bulshit.....I hope you understand now.

Oh, I understand, TRUST ME.

What exactly do you think I want to be. I've already achieved my powerlifting goals. I have no desire to become a professional bodybuilder, ummm....I could care less about internet bbing board status, I've reached a higher level of education than alot of people, I serve my country, I don't really know what you think I "wanabe".

Trust me Phil, not having your respect is of little concern to me. You don't have alot of peoples respect, but it has more to do with your general disposition than anything else. I know, that doesn't bother you.

Also, thats what It always goes back to with you. "I am a pro, show me a picture, show me a video...". Trust me, if I ever do decide to plaster my face or body all over the internet (well, some videos from my meets are on the web), than it certainly wouldn't be on a steroid board. ;) You ever think that theres someone out there who could care less about cyber respect. The guys at my gym know me, the guys at gyms all over the country know me, but not as gyno. ;)

How many people know you phil, besides guys who have been around FOREVER, who also happen to frequent PM?
I am coming from a professional bodybuilding point of view........someone who has been doing this for many years. I think you are full of yourself and are a wanabe.......know it all who has not walked the walk.........until you prove me wrong I have no respect for you or your bulshit.....I hope you understand now.

Seriously man

Oh, I understand, TRUST ME.

What exactly do you think I want to be. I've already achieved my powerlifting goals. I have no desire to become a professional bodybuilder, ummm....I could care less about internet bbing board status, I've reached a higher level of education than alot of people, I serve my country, I don't really know what you think I "wanabe".

Trust me Phil, not having your respect is of little concern to me. You don't have alot of peoples respect, but it has more to do with your general disposition than anything else. I know, that doesn't bother you.

Also, thats what It always goes back to with you. "I am a pro, show me a picture, show me a video...". Trust me, if I ever do decide to plaster my face or body all over the internet (well, some videos from my meets are on the web), than it certainly wouldn't be on a steroid board. ;) You ever think that theres someone out there who could care less about cyber respect. The guys at my gym know me, the guys at gyms all over the country know me, but not as gyno. ;)

How many people know you phil, besides guys who have been around FOREVER, who also happen to frequent PM?

Go argue with someone else.......honestly, sincerely, I do not habve time to talk to you.

I tried the Perfect Pullup yesterday at the gym. You start palms away from you and twist hands facing at the top. It felt better on the joints and you get a good peak on the bi's. I feel safe to add weights to my belt with that gadget.

You can tear anything if you don't warmup or push to fast. If you have joint problems with C/P Up's start light on the lat machine and always get a full streetch. Start at 10 pounds if you have to, and in a year or two you can get to the point of adding 50lbs to a belt. I have even with prievous joint problems.

Last edited:
chins, pulls either way you do them its money in the bank.......getbig....ftw

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear