over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Regarding relationship problems...

OuchThatHurts

Moderator / Psy, Ret.
Staff member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I wanted to take a moment and address some issues I’ve noticed lately concerning relationships. In my short years I have learned that life is very cyclical and it seems it is that time once again when relationships everywhere are having difficulties. If you do not have any problems in this area then you can stop here. If you are, I’d like to address a few things. For the remainder of this post, I’ll only be focusing on those personal and intimate relationships of a committed nature.

The first thing I want to touch on is the relationship itself. Do you know why you are in a relationship? Don’t worry - there is no wrong answer. Do you love the person you are with? It’s very easy to answer that question but are you certain you are being honest with yourself regarding the answer? Are you with that person because you honestly do love them or do you enjoy the safety of having someone around? Does the thought of living life without someone at your side scare you? And why is being alone for a while such a terrible thing?

Relationships should be built on things like trust, friendship, and mutual admiration. Consider these things the bedrock of all good relationships. All the other things like sex and other sensual or sensational things are secondary to these. Why would you want to have a relationship based on anything else? If you did have such a relationship, what type of relationship would it be?

Let’s use an analogy. Two people are like drinking glasses. Drinking glasses come in all shapes and sizes. There are shot glasses and 32oz drinking glasses. There are short ones and there are tall ones, etc. But one thing is certain, whether you are a shot glass or a 32oz glass, you should strive to be filled to capacity. What does it matter what size glass you are if you can’t hold any more anyway? If you have two glasses of different sizes and both are filled to the brim, which glass is more full? Neither. You are both completely full and equal in happiness because you are both fully happy. Take this analogy a step further. What if you are not full? What if, in fact, you are almost empty? You may look for someone else to fill what’s missing in your glass. This may seem like a small problem but eventually, you drain the other person’s glass dry. This is not love! It’s when both people give from their fullness that both glasses overflow! (give from the fullness of your heart) It is THEN that the whole becomes greater than the sum of it's parts.

So even if you missed the point of the last paragraph, suffice it to say that you know you are ready to give in to a relationship when you yourself are filled. Not when you are empty or half-full. You can see this quite a lot when in a relationship one always seems to give, give, give and the other just takes, takes, takes. Now what do you suppose the “giver” in that scenario will eventually come to realize? How long will the guilt be felt by the "taker"? When you give in to a relationship, what you are saying is “I give myself to you” – are you giving them a smooth running vehicle or a jalopy jacked up on cinder blocks? If you put on a front yet inside your brave face is covered by a shroud of emptiness and self-loathing, how long do you think that will hold up? How fair is that to the other person?

Why would you want to do this to yourself anyway? What good is a relationship to you if it’s built on lies, mistrust, infidelity, and self-hatred? Even MORE importantly, what good is to that person in whom you have placed your “love”? It would probably be better if you just went out on a date with her, slept with her, stole her purse, stomped on her foot and ran out the door. At least then, she’d only have to endure the one night.

Regarding infidelity… this is perhaps the toughest love destroyer of all. Not only does it send a message to your beloved spouse or boy/girlfriend that you can’t be trusted but also that she (or he) is not good or enough for you. If this is the case then it is your duty to let that person go find a life with someone who WILL treat him or her properly. Otherwise it’s plain that you are only thinking of yourself and I have no help or pity for you.

Self-esteem… this is another big one. I see more low self-esteem now than I did just a few years ago. It seems with every new generation, people have even less self-esteem. I’d hate to have to go through the counseling forum and highlight every self-deprecating remark. I’m not going to write a volume here as I could on this topic alone but will just bring it up to try and illustrate to you that you should never use someone’s low self-esteem to your advantage or allow someone to take advantage of you because of your lack of self-esteem. Not an easy thing to ask of you but self-esteem is fragile. Although it can be broke, it can also be rebuilt. Take comfort in that. Keep in mind though that tearing it down is easier than building it back up. If your self-esteem hinges on another person’s opinion of you, than you have low self-esteem. This is common among females who are raised to think that the unrealistic standards of beauty portrayed in the media are the measure of their self-worth – although this same thing is becoming more common in males as well. I see it in men who try unsuccessfully to follow in their father's footsteps as well as MANY, MANY other places/scenerios.

Lastly, I want to tell you all as your friend. For God’s sake, TALK to one another. Communicate! Take CARE of one another. Don’t take turns being each other’s doormats and don’t walk all over each other. Strive for relationships in which you BOTH can be happy! If you find yourself rummaging through your husband’s pants pockets to see if he’s cheating, something is VERY wrong and needs to be addressed. You will never be happy in life while in a relationship filled with doubt, suspicion, and confusion. A fleeting moment perhaps but even you know that it is just an illuson. A relationship built on trust and friendship can survive almost anything so make these things the foundation. Do not settle for anything less because you deserve nothing less. It’s very hard to live inside a lie and you know when you are. Refuse to do it. Make the changes. Both of you will be better people for it and I’ll be able to take on an early retirement.

Jon

Last edited:
You give great advice...You are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I think you would make a great poet... but I dint really get anything out of it in the practical sense we all could use, other than your stating common sense analogies. I did get thirsty:D though...

great post OTH

great post... spoken by someone with some actual knowledge..

ROOSTER.. what is up your ass man??? come on... why do you insist on coming over here, and just plain out bashing someone for no reason??? come on, you need to chill out.. this is a PROFESSIONAL BOARD, and if you want to argue about stuff, then go on another board.. i think GETBIG is lookin for some fine little boys like yourself over there..

seriously man. you need to rethink your words...

I think if your going to give therapy you should approach the issue from the stand point of how truly complex the situation is. giving common sense advice is ok we all can do that but if he claims to be a qualified therapist, then he should treat those issues with the seriousness they deserve. For example: Infidelity. To say to the person who committed the wrong that you have no pity and you write them off and say you have no help for them, is not only heartless but is never anything a professional therapist would say. A professional treats the whole situation both parties and is not partial...My concern is that OTH is giving advise under the guise that he is a qualified Psychologist. I can see all of his advise is in layman terms and simply 2 dimensional. I feel it is unhealthy to give advice on such issues that could be interpreted by some to cause great self guilt and lead some to further confusion. OTH is to be commended on wanting to help, but he is not qualified to give therapeutic counseling in my opinion.

Last edited:
Rooster,

I've heard enough. You can insult me, you can insult my education, you can insult me in any way you like. I urge you not to since it does you no good as my career and successes (and failures) are well known to me and perfectly intact.

You're trying to invoke an argument. By now, everyone can plainly see your opinion of me (personally, professionally, etc.)

I'm not going to tell a man who's infidelity has cost him a relationship that I'm proud of him. I'm not even going to say "There, there, we all make mistakes." There are things in life that cannot be undone. If a relationship survives infidelity, gaining back trust is extremely difficult. Sometimes the things I say may be construed as harsh. Sometimes people need to hear things harsh. Some individuals require a delicate touch. And above all, I make mistakes too. You can't make a thousand posts without a single error in grammar or judgement!

Now here is how this is going to work. I'll leave your posts up. I won't edit them nor will I delete them. But I don't want to see you in this counselling forum again. Every post I see in this forum will result in one warning. Three warnings and I will ban you. You've lost your privelages to particpate in this forum permanantly or until BigA gives you permission.

Imagine, insulting a man who has done nothing but help members for over a year, thousands of posts and PM's. I probably have as many thank you letters as you have posts. I did not charge onto this board with a gimmick. I was asked to come here. I made a commitment and I honor my commitments.

I'm sure you understand what I have said here and you can reread the Counselling Forum Guidelines if you like. Do not respond to this post because that will be warning number one. Contact BigA if you have any additional concerns.

Thank you.

OTH

GOOD POST!

I ENJOYED THE READ, DOC. I THINK FREQUENT UPDATES LIKE THAT ARE A GOOD THING. IF I DON'T FILL MY HEAD WITH GOOD ADVICE...LIKE WHAT YOU'VE POSTED ABOVE OR WHEN I READ THE BIBLE....

...OTHERWISE... IT'S ONLY THE JUNK THE WORLD SPEWS OUT THAT FILLS MY HEAD. INFORMATION THAT CONFUSES AND DULLS MY WITS. ALMOST EVERYTHING ON TELEVISION FOR EXAMPLE...

REALITY TELEVISION: GLORIFIES THE WORST CHARACTERISTICS OF MEN AND WOMEN....LYING, BACKSTABBING, DECEIT, RELATIONSHIP BETRAYAL....THE LIST GOES ON.

I NEED TO FEED MY MIND WITH GOOD TO COUNTER ALL THE GARBAGE THAT GOES IN....

THANKS FOR THE POST.:cool:

DaRooster said:
I think if your going to give therapy you should approach the issue from the stand point of how truly complex the situation is. giving common sense advice is ok we all can do that but if he claims to be a qualified therapist, then he should treat those issues with the seriousness they deserve. For example: Infidelity. To say to the person who committed the wrong that you have no pity and you write them off and say you have no help for them, is not only heartless but is never anything a professional therapist would say. A professional treats the whole situation both parties and is not partial...My concern is that OTH is giving advise under the guise that he is a qualified Psychologist. I can see all of his advise is in layman terms and simply 2 dimensional. I feel it is unhealthy to give advice on such issues that could be interpreted by some to cause great self guilt and lead some to further confusion. OTH is to be commended on wanting to help, but he is not qualified to give therapeutic counseling in my opinion.

DaRooster,

Your concern is appreciated. I have respect for anyone who sincerely cares about the qualifications of one who claims to be a professional and gives advice to board members. However, you are way off base here. Don't you think the board owner shares these same concerns? How do you think we were chosen? I can assure you he does. I approached BigA with this idea and offered proof of who I am as well as my credentials. BigA then created this forum. I am certain BigA shares your concern regarding the professional nature of this forum.

You may not like the advice Ouchthathurts gives. This happens frequently in the world of counseling. Many clients travel from psychologist to psychologist until they find a therapist who tells them what they want to hear. We are all only human and each choose a different theoretical background upon entering the program.

I hope this information eases your mind.

He has helped me out many times as well as people i know. OTH... thank you for having the kindness and caring enough to come here and help us all. Cant say enough how much we all appreciate it.

BTW... you were soooo right.... i won... for about few days until she fell into depression and ran back (today)... i was filling the void in her relationship that she was missing and was the one who treated her good and showed her how a girl like her deserved to be treated and appreciated.....and now after 6 months im left with nothing. You live and you learn... life goes on .... pity i still stand by my feelings that she was the kindest sweetest girl i ever met... guess you cant control your feelings sometimes although i think what you described about the empty glass and trouble in relationships describes hers.... she just wants a quick fix and is convinced she loves him... shes so emotional and i think attached rather than in love... that she couldnt handle it and went back.

So i move on.....

Rooster, OUCH is good people and knows his shit.

Common sense analogies? shit man, if everyone would just use their common sense in this fucking world, it would be a great place wouldn't it !!

The people I come across that actually employ common sense in their daily arsenal are mighty f'ing few and far between.

Dispensing common sense advice is just what is needed, find another place to hang bro.

OTH has helped my wife and I out numerous times. Thank you very much for being there Jon.

OTH is completely right to. I cheated on my wife many many times. I am in no way bragging here i just want to make a point. Cheating (if I can use an analogy now) leaves deep wounds on the relationship. These wounds can heal if things change and with much devotion on the part of cheater to change his ways. While the wounds heal, they still leave scars. These scars never truly go away. To many of these wounds and scars and a relationship will NEVER EVER be what it was or should be.

Through my experiance I am able to be a better person to my new partners. I feel like i should add that in my defense , I got married when I was 19 and my bride was 16 and pregnant. The only reason that we got married was so that her parents would let us live together to raise our child. We were both very immature. She would move out to live with her mom and then move back in with me and so on and so on for six years we did this. Every time she left I hurt and filled my cup with what was missing, with other woman. Even though things were screwed up on both sides, I witnessed first hand what infidelity can do to a relationship.

If a man or woman for that matter wants to fill their cup with what is missing (meaning other partners). Then they should have the guts to end the relationship with the current partner. In my opionion, why should someone have pity on someone who cheats.

The cheater needs no pity. If you feel like you want to cheat then there is only one right thing to do. If you dont have the guts to end it, then I think that anyone knows good and well the kind of pain they will leave with the other person if they cheat, why would you need pity for that.

I admit, I was wrong to not end my relationship, DEAD WRONG. I was so afraid to leave, I did not have the guts to do what was right. Sorry if I went of ranting here and hope I didnt offend anyone but it felt good to get that out.

Thank you to the good people of this board who take their time to help others!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws