over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

shoulder impingement

HeavyHitter2

Registered
My wife has an impingement in her shoulder/ rotator cuff and can't really do flat bench, so we're working around that but what are some shoulder exercises she can do without injuring herself any further?
thanks

Is she doing any stretching movements for the shoulder to improve her range of motion? Always stretch slowly, no bouncing, gently push as far as you can go and hold for a count of 10-15 seconds. I am sure if you Google it, there will be plenty of illustrations. Stretching movements were the first thing PTs had me work on with my shoulder impingements.

When I got a shoulder impingement, I took some time off, so I'm not sure what movements she can do, but do make sure not to do back squats during this time, as that was how I got the impingement in the first place.

If it is nerve related, she will need the surgery ASAP! Otherwise, expect some serious atrophy as well and loss of other movements if it is not taken care of, ART, physical therapy, etc... nothing worked :(

My wife has an impingement in her shoulder/ rotator cuff and can't really do flat bench, so we're working around that but what are some shoulder exercises she can do without injuring herself any further?
thanks

What exercises are you currently doing? How do you know that theres impingement?

What exercises are you currently doing? How do you know that theres impingement?

she was diagnosed with it a few years ago. she went through PT and all that and her range of motion is improved considerably, but certain movements cause her pain. she can do some light incline dumbbells and cables for chest. she's avoiding shoulders right now. she has been doing her band exercises again that she did when in PT.

she was diagnosed with it a few years ago. she went through PT and all that and her range of motion is improved considerably, but certain movements cause her pain. she can do some light incline dumbbells and cables for chest. she's avoiding shoulders right now. she has been doing her band exercises again that she did when in PT.

What was the source of impingement? For example, does she have a hooked acromion (which will need surgery) or is it a secondary impingement caused by a tight serratus, weak or instable scapula, poor posture, overuse, faulty mechanics (i.e. benching BBer style vs PLer style), etc.

Theres lots of reason why you could be impinged. Knowing why helps in determining how to go about it.

I jst had my shoulder scoped last Tuesday to "clean out" troubles with a "Distal Clavical AC impingement" basicaly bone/calcium build up that was causeing pressure on the bursa , the only way to get relief is to remove the offending material , if its early then she may be able to get a cortisone shot in the joint and take a week of from doing much of anything with that shoulder , though the shot diden't do shit for me the surgery was a snap and recovery is going awsome. My doc is great at ortho and scopes so this helps , I have heard horror stories of people going weeks without being able to use that are.

She needs to see a Dr. for some X-rays and likely and MRI at least this way they will know what the problem is rather than making an educated guess

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear