advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Greatest has finally hung up the cleats...

Ivan

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Jerry Rice has indeed retired. He was a boyhood hero of mine and one of the best role models a young athlete could ask for. Simply the best football player ever.

Personally I think it defies logic to call a WR the best football player ever. Yes Jerry Rice was the best WR ever (probably even a top 3 NFL player of all time), but a WR can not have as much influence as a RB or QB they simply don't get enough touches. The most receptions he ever had in a single season was 122 which averages out to less than 8 touches per game...figure an NFL team averages 55-60 offensive plays per game, 8 of 60 is a small %. The top 8 RB's in the NFL last year all had 320+ rushes, take a guy like Tomlinson who averages 72 receptions per year, add that now your talking over 400 touches some seasons. I was definitely a fan of Rice and no other WR will ever match his career stats, but Jim Brown will forever be the greatest player in NFL history.

Rice was the man... great role model, i agree he had class.

my vote for greatest nfl player of all time... walter payton :)

i'm glad to see Rice retire though.... he's not hurt, and isnt falling apart (arthritis)... good for him.... future hall of famer

joke

sorry but hes an avg rec through most of his years playin in a great system!! imo...................greatest of all time randy moss has better stats so far in his career ..actually is number 1 for all time in the nfl so far....jerry just played a long time sure thats great but one of the best players ever no!! wide recievers sure!! but hes no earl campell , jim brown, john elway,law taylor,dick butcas,john unitas,barry sanders,oj simpson and on and on wake up,,, think about it stats are not everything watch the player!! imo

Uhh WTF?!??

Well how many championships did he win? He was a leader out there and off the field. Moss has ZERO championships...oh is that because Rice had Montana/Young? Well if Moss is so good, why does his team lose??? LEADERSHIP!! Culpepper was more than capable of doing the job for Moss. This game is about winning, NOT who has more receptions. PLUS Rice made the BIG plays and even Moss himself admits Rice was a boyhood hero to him. The running game would also be CRAP if it was not for the THREAT that he was. In order to have a SOLID running game you MUST have a good passing attack, and vice versa. Also -- a crappy QB is not as bad as a crappy Wr. why? well even if the passes are off, a great WR will still make the catches/plays. An average reciever and a great QB, well the WR will not be much of a facotr..not to mention sloppy routes, questionable hands, body control, speed, awareness. SO I DID NOT GO ON STATS, I WENT BY WINS!!!

PS -- Butkis? And you tell me to wake up? LT would run CIRCLES around BUTKIS...lol....Wow.

Last edited:
A GREAT PLAYER.....

I AGREE WITH PICKLES....AND HE'S STILL HEALTHY!

GOOD TO SEE YOU POSTING, IVAN! YOU ARE SORTA MY HERO....AN ASS KICKER OF THE FIRST ORDER. :)

WHOA, how can you discredit what Rice has done...average receiver in a great system?!? Are you talking about Wayne Chrebet or Jerry Rice? The man has scored over 200 TD's. 200!!! Rice was not the fastest, not the biggest, but he ran the most meticulous routes, and prepared himself better than any other player. You do not put up numbers like his being average or the beneficiary of a great system. The best running backs he ever played with were Ricky Watters, Roger Craig and Charlie Garner. Not exactly a conga line to Canton in that list. A great receiver spreads out a defense, you can't put a safety in the box to defend the run. There were typically 2-3 players to account for Jerry Rice on the field at one time, making guys like John Taylor, Brent Jones and the RB's listed above the players they were (I'm not counting TO, he never won a ring).

Oh, and for whoever said Randy Moss is the greatest of all time, ask players who they would rather have playing for their team in a pressure situation, Rice would NEVER walk off the field while the clock was still ticking. Also, Rice has done it on the games biggest stage, when Moss had a chance to go to the Super Bowl his team lost 41-0. To be the greatest you have to make plays when it counts!

But I agree with Pickles on Walter Payton, and talk about a role model, I went to high school with his son, and met Walter Payton on many occasions; what a humble, fun loving person.

Last edited:
I'm gonna tell Butkus you're spelling his name wrong.

best WR not best player

Make it one more vote for Walter Payton. Chicago also had the best basketball player ever but that's another thread. Jerry was probly the best WR of all time. He has shattered a dozen or more receiving records. No one can say he would have been average in another system. The fact is he has acheived and surpassed milestones set by all WR before his time. That's undisputable. Dont' jump the gun on randy moss. Part of being the best is longevity. Let's see if he makes it that long, counting chickens before the eggs hatch. Injuries and a lack of heart and discipline can cut careers short. You never know who is going to do what. Look at Barry Sanders, could have been the best but didn't want it anymore.
My only beef with him is that he should have hung it up before last year. He wasn't good enough to play anymore. The raiders weren't gonna use him then he steals Steve Largents number in Seatle. That pissed me off. Steve Largent was the best of his time, IMO. Then this year he becomes a 4th string WR!???!?!!?!? There is no such thing as a 4th string WR. That's a special teams player, if that. Can you see Jerry splitting up wedges on kickoffs and punt returns? Anyway, he stayed in the game a little too long and had to retire as bronco, a team he never played a game for. Bogus.

Alot of hall of fame players play out their careers with other teams. Emmitt Smith-Arizona, OJ Simpson-San Fran, Franco Harris-Seattle, Joe Montana-KC, Johnny Unitas-San Diego, and on.... Alot of what makes these guys great is their passion to compete, so it should not be a surprise to see them prolong their careers when they are no longer the player we remember.

jawbreakerkid said:
Alot of hall of fame players play out their careers with other teams. Emmitt Smith-Arizona, OJ Simpson-San Fran, Franco Harris-Seattle, Joe Montana-KC, Johnny Unitas-San Diego, and on.... Alot of what makes these guys great is their passion to compete, so it should not be a surprise to see them prolong their careers when they are no longer the player we remember.
That's all true but his attempt to play this year was pathetic. Like watching a mangy starved 3 legged dog trying to catch a rabbit. Even last year was pretty pathetic. No teams wanting him and the seahawks taking a gamble on a one year deal. He didn't get the clue, nobody wanted him. Yet he still insisted on playing this year. It doesn't take away from his overall career and accomplishements. He'll be remebered for what he did with the niners. But it's still desperately pathetic. Not being a niners (da bears) or a Rice fan his last years are what's foremost in my mind when I think of him now. In ten years I may remember him as the best WR and that's it.

I think its pretty hard to nail down a "best player of all time". It depends on the position. I will say this though........JR was pretty flawless. The whole 49er team for a span of several years was damn near unstoppable. The Joe Montana to Rice combo was pretty deadly.

a lot of people would say don hutson is the greatest wr of all time... but i'll go with rice.

greatest player ever? jim brown/ lawrence taylor maybe even otto graham (think he played in the championship game 7 times in 10 years.)

There is so many things wrong with what you are saying It saddens me

bigandreasg said:
Make it one more vote for Walter Payton. Chicago also had the best basketball player ever but that's another thread. Jerry was probly the best WR of all time. He has shattered a dozen or more receiving records. No one can say he would have been average in another system. The fact is he has acheived and surpassed milestones set by all WR before his time. That's undisputable. Dont' jump the gun on randy moss. Part of being the best is longevity. Let's see if he makes it that long, counting chickens before the eggs hatch. Injuries and a lack of heart and discipline can cut careers short. You never know who is going to do what. Look at Barry Sanders, could have been the best but didn't want it anymore.
My only beef with him is that he should have hung it up before last year. He wasn't good enough to play anymore. The raiders weren't gonna use him then he steals Steve Largents number in Seatle. That pissed me off. Steve Largent was the best of his time, IMO. Then this year he becomes a 4th string WR!???!?!!?!? There is no such thing as a 4th string WR. That's a special teams player, if that. Can you see Jerry splitting up wedges on kickoffs and punt returns? Anyway, he stayed in the game a little too long and had to retire as bronco, a team he never played a game for. Bogus.

#1: He did not steal Largents # -- Steve actually offered it to him out of respect.
#2: So it is "pathetic" for a man that loves his career to stay driven to succeed and at his age given the competition??!?!?! WTF? THAT TAKES COURAGE, DETERMINATION, AND MORE DISCIPLINE THAN ANY OF US HERE HAVE.
#3: you claim he cannot play anymore??? His routes are still PERFECT, his speed is what kills him (as JBK mentioned, he was never a speedster -- in fact he never ran lower than a 4.6) but that does not make him useless. IMO he can still play and plenty of other current players AGREE that he can still get it done. The reason people think he is not good anymore is the fact that he is not the playmaker / go to guy / ALL STAR caliber player -- he is now average, NOT crappy or anything else. I just watched him running routes in a workout and he was owning 20 something corners. The REAL reason coaches do not want him is because teams/coaches build for the future. He is a player that would be needed to fill an immediate and temporary role in a system. Shanahan out of respect (remember he coached Jerry in SF) gave Jerry a shot. The NFL is about building systems (it is very basic) and then applying them to work. It takes time and a lot of practice. The team is not going to spend the extra $ for a 1 yr player. NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE. The team is always bigger than one player..period.
#4: you have beef with him not retiring? The man can still play and compete in professional football, and that is a fact. Ask anyone at the Denver training camp. He is not outstanding anymore, so what? There are only a handfull of players that are.

The guy was the perfect example of a professional athlete. Even if he was a 3 legged dog etc like you say, his wisdom on the field is priceless. The man knows the game, his dedication is what confuses you with what you think is stubborness. Look bro, I played a lot of football and can tell you firsthand the guy is made out of something else.

And I WILL jump the gun on Moss -- the crap he does on the field (his mooning antics etc) including lazy or MISSED blocks, walking off, the ridiculous and extremely disrespectful shit that comes out of his mouth -- he is selfish, poor role model, poor excuse for a professional, and as was mentioned.....when should the Moss factor play a huge role? When the game is on the line for a championship (which is every teams goal or should be) which he has shown to disappear and be a non factor. Sorry but regular season stats are great, but winning is first and foremost. That is why TO IS a better reciever than Moss....sorry to all MOss fans, but the truth hurts.

Ivan said:
#1: He did not steal Largents # -- Steve actually offered it to him out of respect.
#2: So it is "pathetic" for a man that loves his career to stay driven to succeed and at his age given the competition??!?!?! WTF? THAT TAKES COURAGE, DETERMINATION, AND MORE DISCIPLINE THAN ANY OF US HERE HAVE.
#3: you claim he cannot play anymore??? His routes are still PERFECT, his speed is what kills him (as JBK mentioned, he was never a speedster -- in fact he never ran lower than a 4.6) but that does not make him useless. IMO he can still play and plenty of other current players AGREE that he can still get it done. The reason people think he is not good anymore is the fact that he is not the playmaker / go to guy / ALL STAR caliber player -- he is now average, NOT crappy or anything else. I just watched him running routes in a workout and he was owning 20 something corners. The REAL reason coaches do not want him is because teams/coaches build for the future. He is a player that would be needed to fill an immediate and temporary role in a system. Shanahan out of respect (remember he coached Jerry in SF) gave Jerry a shot. The NFL is about building systems (it is very basic) and then applying them to work. It takes time and a lot of practice. The team is not going to spend the extra $ for a 1 yr player. NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE. The team is always bigger than one player..period.
#4: you have beef with him not retiring? The man can still play and compete in professional football, and that is a fact. Ask anyone at the Denver training camp. He is not outstanding anymore, so what? There are only a handfull of players that are.

The guy was the perfect example of a professional athlete. Even if he was a 3 legged dog etc like you say, his wisdom on the field is priceless. The man knows the game, his dedication is what confuses you with what you think is stubborness. Look bro, I played a lot of football and can tell you firsthand the guy is made out of something else.

And I WILL jump the gun on Moss -- the crap he does on the field (his mooning antics etc) including lazy or MISSED blocks, walking off, the ridiculous and extremely disrespectful shit that comes out of his mouth -- he is selfish, poor role model, poor excuse for a professional, and as was mentioned.....when should the Moss factor play a huge role? When the game is on the line for a championship (which is every teams goal or should be) which he has shown to disappear and be a non factor. Sorry but regular season stats are great, but winning is first and foremost. That is why TO IS a better reciever than Moss....sorry to all MOss fans, but the truth hurts.

#1 Steve offered it after Jerry wined about how it's been his number since highschool. Who give a shit it's just a number. Rice should have respected Steve enough to take another number. Seatle is steve's turf.

#2 You don't even know anybody here and you certainly don't know me. Speak for yourself. Everything was pathetic his last year from his failing body to his sad attempt at growning corn rows on his old bald head. He's old it's okay to let go.

#3 Anywbody can run a perfect route in slow mo. No he's not good enought to play anymore. If he was he would have stayed in the game.

#4 He's not even close to outstanding anymore. He's well below average. He was a "4th" string WR on a team that's not known for it's wideouts. That's a fact.

Sorry.

Typical dumbass response you just made

bigandreasg said:
#1 Steve offered it after Jerry wined about how it's been his number since highschool. Who give a shit it's just a number. Rice should have respected Steve enough to take another number. Seatle is steve's turf.

#2 You don't even know anybody here and you certainly don't know me. Speak for yourself. Everything was pathetic his last year from his failing body to his sad attempt at growning corn rows on his old bald head. He's old it's okay to let go.

#3 Anywbody can run a perfect route in slow mo. No he's not good enought to play anymore. If he was he would have stayed in the game.

#4 He's not even close to outstanding anymore. He's well below average. He was a "4th" string WR on a team that's not known for it's wideouts. That's a fact.

Sorry.

You probably are one of those wannabe athletes who never once stepped on the field with pads on -- or if you did, you most likely got owned (as your FB knowledge is a complete joke) .

#1: Jerry was asked what about number "80" and he simply respnded tht he would like to wear it (uuuhh you are the greatest in the game and it the number you wore your whole life -- what would you say MY GOD) I know I wear my number to whatever team I play for...PERIOD. It is like a superstition in a way.
#2: I do not know anyone here yet I have well over 1000 posts (more than your sorry ass) and am a mod at the sister board (RM) and know more of these bros than you could count on your fingers. Pathetic body, jesus bro YOU HAVE ZERO IDEA WHAT IT TAKES TO JUST MAKE THE NFL SPECIAL TEAMS FOR CHRIST SAKE. Just to make the team you need to be special!!!! your ignorance is unbeleivable. I don't rant about bodybuilding, but football and wrestling I have played at high levels, and I have also fought professionally, ask one of the members that does not "know" me you ignorant SOB.
#3: Wrong again as usual. The route is dictated by the ANGLES and CUTs he runs and I suppose the corners defending him just wanted to look bad right? Geez.
#4: correct he was 4th on the team on the depth chart, BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE HE WOULD BE MOST AFFORDABLE AND USED. Ya I know it sucks, but since you were unable to comprehend how NFL and football teams in general operate, I will explain it to you again:

TEAMS are built for the future, injuries and other probablilities are taken into account, the athletes playbooks look like dictionaries, they are HUGE!!! So it takes time to develop the offense, and what coaches look for is an athlete that is going to grow in the system and develop to the best of his POTENTIAL. Rice is past that, and his ability is not the same, but HE IS average for a lot of recievers in the league. FACT. I do feel that if I were in his shoes I would retire when I was not playing to what I was anymore (i.e, all pro) but this same drive that made him who he was is perhaps why he still played. Like MAgic Johnson shooting free throws in the snow...he LOVES the game. And I understand that. You do not.

Ivan said:
You probably are one of those wannabe athletes who never once stepped on the field with pads on -- or if you did, you most likely got owned (as your FB knowledge is a complete joke) .

#1: Jerry was asked what about number "80" and he simply respnded tht he would like to wear it (uuuhh you are the greatest in the game and it the number you wore your whole life -- what would you say MY GOD) I know I wear my number to whatever team I play for...PERIOD. It is like a superstition in a way.
#2: I do not know anyone here yet I have well over 1000 posts (more than your sorry ass) and am a mod at the sister board (RM) and know more of these bros than you could count on your fingers. Pathetic body, jesus bro YOU HAVE ZERO IDEA WHAT IT TAKES TO JUST MAKE THE NFL SPECIAL TEAMS FOR CHRIST SAKE. Just to make the team you need to be special!!!! your ignorance is unbeleivable. I don't rant about bodybuilding, but football and wrestling I have played at high levels, and I have also fought professionally, ask one of the members that does not "know" me you ignorant SOB.
#3: Wrong again as usual. The route is dictated by the ANGLES and CUTs he runs and I suppose the corners defending him just wanted to look bad right? Geez.
#4: correct he was 4th on the team on the depth chart, BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE HE WOULD BE MOST AFFORDABLE AND USED. Ya I know it sucks, but since you were unable to comprehend how NFL and football teams in general operate, I will explain it to you again:

TEAMS are built for the future, injuries and other probablilities are taken into account, the athletes playbooks look like dictionaries, they are HUGE!!! So it takes time to develop the offense, and what coaches look for is an athlete that is going to grow in the system and develop to the best of his POTENTIAL. Rice is past that, and his ability is not the same, but HE IS average for a lot of recievers in the league. FACT. I do feel that if I were in his shoes I would retire when I was not playing to what I was anymore (i.e, all pro) but this same drive that made him who he was is perhaps why he still played. Like MAgic Johnson shooting free throws in the snow...he LOVES the game. And I understand that. You do not.

:D

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner