over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

To Spank Or Not...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_O

Registered
How many of us actually believe that spanking a child is absolutely the correct way to bring up a child.....My wife absolutely disagree's with it...and to perfectly honest with you...I've never in my life have seen a more spoiled,rotten,self centered child in my life...She's my step-daughter...

My daughter came over during the Holidays and my wife couldn't believe on how polite my daughter was and how genuinely caring she was...She was spanked when she was younger and understood that no meant NO.....This one here will argue with her mother till she get's her own way which is most of the time....I have to tell alot of times I feel like blistering her butt...I know I can't do it...but.....!

i agree that if the situation calls for it, spanking is ok. my parents used to give me the paddle...it was a little over a foot long, 4'' wide and 1'' thick. i learned really quick that my dad was serious about using it.

I think as a child, we take spanking way more serious then a time out...time outs do not hurt, they just take time...but man I remember the worse thing was waiting for dad to get home for the spanking...the 4 hour wait was the worse...I know I only messed up on each thing once...after a spanking, you remember more...if you get a time out, I think you say to yourself...what is 4 hours in my room??

I think spanking is important...not kicking the crap out of them, but letting them know what is wrong with a spanking is ok.

I never had time outs. If I was bad (like jumping on my bed :p) my mom would ask me if I wanted the bootjack (to be spanked with)! :eek: Talk about fear! No not your hand or a spoon, but the device you use to take off your boots when you come in. It hurt! I only felt a sense of relief when it broke, and that was when I was in high school! Lol!

Down the creek at my grandpa's the whole family (all his son's, daughters, and grandchildren) would congregate there and if the kids messed up (which they did) my aunt was the one who did the discipline. She made them go find their own whip, had to be from a willow and strip it themselves for her to give them their punishment. You'd better believe I was a COMPLETE angel around Auntie Anna! Her son caught on pretty quick; he got the BIGGEST one he could find! :D (They hurt less.)

So yeah, I think it's MORE than ok. That's my opinion. You can tell children who KNOW what no means. I always want to thank their parents. Then you run across kids who you just want to strangle their parents.

Great replies!!!

ya know, this is one of the most debated topics in my field. The suggestion that corporal punishment is barbaric is certainly convincing. Yet all the parents I have seen who do not practice corporal punishment have children that are, as you mentioned, unbearably defiant and rude. Even the children of Developmental Psychologists! I guess I have a few of my own methods, as a parent, not as a doctor that I'd like to share here.

1. Punish the child when the disobedience occurs.

This is important because, like another member said, he had to wait for hours to get his punishment. The waiting was probably as miserable, if not worse, than the actual punishment. If a child's transgression is discovered long after the fact, then a grounding or taking away of privileges should be considered instead (no xbox or phone calls, etc.)

2. Don't use an object to strike the child.

If you do this, then the child begins to fear the object rather than the wielder. You want to keep it between you, the child, and the rule they broke. Leave the weapons out of it. Which brings me to:

3. Don't punish them in public.

It's sufficient to punish the child in private without adding to the punishment the humiliation of everyone seeing that they have been bad. Ever have your boss yell at you in front of your peers?

4. Before, during, and after punishment, reinforce to the child that they are being punished because they acted badly and not that they themselves are a bad person.

I always have a talk and see if my son knows why he was punished. They always do. Then you can give them a hug or otherwise let them know that you love them, whether they break the rules or not but if they do, they have to realize that IT'S YOUR JOB as a parent to be the boss. I always say something like "You know, if I break the rules, I get fired, or pay a fine, or even go to jail so you're not the only one who has rules." This is all part of number

5: Make up with your child.

Don't punish with anger but punish because it's your job as a parent. Make certain that your child knows exactly why you did what you did. Let them know that it was an ACT they committed that caused the events and not they themselves as a person. Make sure they know the difference. You can't slap a kid for having blue eyes. But you can slap a kid if they poke another child in the eye. You don't want to give your child a poor self-image. It's also important to:

6. Reward your child when they behave correctly.

Whatever punishment you give them for bad behavior, see to it that you reward them doubly for correct behavior. When they share, or are compassionate, for instance. But most importantly:

7. BE CONSISTENT.

Don't slap a kid in the head for jumping on the sofa and proceed to jump on the sofa with them the next night. Don't punish them one day for firing a BB gun out the window and then let them slide another time. Even a single inconsistency can set a precedent.

8. Give them options.

Sometimes a disobedient child just needs to know that they have SOME control. For instance, instead of saying "Do you want to go get dressed?" Say "Do you want to wear the blue shirt or the red shirt?" This diverts attention away from the fact that they indeed HAVE to get dressed but still gives them enough authority to let them feel they have a say.

So many parents make the same mistakes over and over again. With a little thought on your part, you can usually avoid the unpleasant scenes and other problems associated with a poorly disciplined child - which, as adults, make up about 90% of my clients.

Take care,

Doc

Big O,

One can read much on this topic. There are 'experts' who will come down on either side of the issue. I can tell you from personal observation/experience that a good spanking, properly administered and under the right conditions, can be a terrifically effective tool.

I am not talking about kids who flinch at the dinner table because they are getting whacked on all the time.

I agree with that too...There's a diference between corrective punishment and flat out abuse....The problem these days is that the kids ahve got alot of parents afraid to to do it...This kid says you touch me and I'll call the cops on you.....This is a child that has pyhsically thrown her mother around before I got here.....Oh Yea she did...It's the old touch me and make a phone call...

If my kids ever tried something like that they know when I get out they are going to get the ass kicking of there lives...

I honestly and truly believe that's why the kids are like they are today...Lack of respect and certainly a lack od discipline....

I appreciate the read Iron man...But in my opinion I think that's what's wrong with the youth today...They have no respect..for anything or anyone...The parents are solely to blame for this..Because of non-sense like I just read...My parents always taught me respect and I got my ass kicked alot...The fact that a child can threaten there parents by saying they'll call the cops is enough to know that the parents have no control over the kids these days...

i JUI just read your heading...I just recently spanked my new wife...All kinds of trouble I can tell you that....I won't be spanking her anytime soon....I hope she learned a lesson...
I use the old joke...What do you tell a blonde with 2 black eye's....
Nothing I already told het twice....And I use the one...Don't make me tell you a 3rd time....
Domestic Abuse...not funny my friend...I'm 47 and this is my first and last time I can assure you that...

Big_O said:
I appreciate the read Iron man...But in my opinion I think that's what's wrong with the youth today...They have no respect..for anything or anyone...The parents are solely to blame for this..Because of non-sense like I just read...My parents always taught me respect and I got my ass kicked alot...The fact that a child can threaten there parents by saying they'll call the cops is enough to know that the parents have no control over the kids these days...

I just posted those two links 5 minutes ago so I know you could not have rea d them already...lol... It will take you hours to read and find the answer to this most controverisal topic.

Please take the time out to do so then we can discuss things in much greater detail.

Thank you friend..;)

Big_O said:

I can prove your theorie to be incorrect if you are open minded enough to listen. :) I just want you to think real hard about what you just said as it's just not the truth.

Were cool bro....I 'll give you that opportunity...Prove me wrong....We talking about kids or the old lady..?

Addendum:

I'd like to add an addendum to my original post. It is this: The guidelines I personally use are absolutely anecdotal. There is plenty of work to sift through on both sides of this issue. many PhD's have collected large royalties publishing works on this issue. Additionally, everything I mentioned was for a child of 5 and up, at least. Before the age of 3 (and I would wait until long after that) corporal punishment can be detrimental. There is evidence to support that during these formative years, irreversible effects can occur. Even at 18 months. :end

I'm very glad Iron Man posted what he did. It clearly shows the level of intensity in the argument. In the end, they may very well end up being right (this is directed to both sides for consideration).

It is as hot a topic as traditional vs. home schooling.

Speaking only historically, almost 2000 years ago a man was nailed to a tree for telling people to love one another. If we can't love our own children, then what can we possibly offer to the world outside our homes?

i have three daughters 6-10-15 and i have never put my hands on them,even though as a kid myself i was spanked.i feel that if we teach our kids that there are choices good and bad and they all have consquences we can teach them to make better choices threwout life.to me spanking only teaches if someone does something wrong it's ok to use violence to fix that problem.with three girls theres alot of fun but alot of fighting too.the two oldest might tag team on my little one and she will act out buy crying or being mean herself now at first it would be easy to spank her for these actions but as parents our job is to trouble shoot the problem "every action has a reaction"she is doing that because she feels left out because she is little and it hurts her,so i would take her out maybe to the park or a walk and talk to her about what she did and how to handle it better next time.then i talk to my oldest later in the night when things settled down and help them make better choices next time and remind them they were little at one time and did the same thing.it just takes alot of patiences witch is hard at time with work,family,and such but then there our problems.thats my take on it another thing is when my girls grow up i know they will never allow any man to disrespect them because of how i raised them and how i treat there mom

I think that a good spanking is nessassary as a deterant, all my kids have been spanked , not abused, and the oldest ones have turned out great. the youngest is still at home and still testing the boundaries. People that try to reason with a child are wishful at best , children need the guidance of a strong hand. It pisses me off when you see a child in public give their parents all kinds of greif, like throwing tantums and such. A good spanking at an early age nips that kinda crap in the bud. I also beleive that you don't change the rules as they suit the situation, rules are rules. J.R.

tattoojr said:
I think that a good spanking is nessassary as a deterant, all my kids have been spanked , not abused, and the oldest ones have turned out great. the youngest is still at home and still testing the boundaries. People that try to reason with a child are wishful at best , children need the guidance of a strong hand. It pisses me off when you see a child in public give their parents all kinds of greif, like throwing tantums and such. A good spanking at an early age nips that kinda crap in the bud. I also beleive that you don't change the rules as they suit the situation, rules are rules. J.R.

Do you smack you wife when she back talks or does not behave in a manner you feel is un-appropriate? If not the why not?:confused:

ironman great point,at what time do you stop spanking,you teach your kids to fear you that if they do something "you don't like" they will feel pain.take it to the extreme first a light hand on the ass does the job,then when that doesn't work yoy hit harder then a belt maybe extention cord or a wiffle bat were dose it end and at what age.why not slap your wife because she burnt the dinner or dented the car door,it all falls under the same rules if you do what i don't like i'll cause you pain.when they go threw real life situations and they know they let you down they will fear to come to you and ask for help.i want my daughters to know right from wrong and there are always consquenses for those choices but i want them to always be able to come to me and not fear me because they know i'll be upset at there choice.some parents think that kids need to learn from there own mistakes but if a kid can learn that fire is hot threw his parents experences then there is no reason to get burnt.if you teach your kids not to drink and drive because all these things will happen then they don't need to total there car and hurt themselves.it's always better to teach good choice making skills then to beat your kids

question or Iron Man

first. totally respect your point of view.
second. so what method do you use?

You try reasoning with your child verbally. If that doesn't work, then what? If that STILL doesn't work.

when you see your son or daughter place a hand on the stove, do you slap her fingers?

I'm very interested in hearing more of your methods. It sounds like you have done some research and have some knowledge of the topic.

spanking is done because our parents did it to us and theres to them it's what we were thought to do if a child does wrong.if you take each situation you have choices you can just as easily spank them as you can sit them down and talk to them and teach them that what they did was wrong.all kids know right from wrong so thats not really the problem.my two oldest like to play games and not let the youngest play this causes her to get upset,she might cry or even get mad,now i can spank her because she's crying and i don't want to hear it or i can think for a second and figure that she is upset because she feels left out which isn't a reason to get spanked.her choices are wrong to get upset but i'll take her out and talk to her and explain that her sisters are older and are playing a older game then i suggest something for her to do.i also have to talk to the oldest because they didn't take her feelings into account and were little at one time too.then suggest to them ways to handle the problem next time.i could come home and yell and scream and threaten my kids but why.if you teach them to make good choices early on that will carry them threw life.think about this your child doesn't eat there dinner you make them sit there till they do,but they don't and you get so worked up that you spank them and send them to bed.at what point do you stop spanking them usally when it has no effect on them then you try to start talking to them when you could do that all along.when you spank your kid and he doesn;'t cry no more and just looks at you then what at no time in life other then childhood will you get spanked,your teachers don't do it to get you to do your homework your boss doesn't do it to get you to come to work but it you don't i bet your get a good talking to.by spanking your trying to control there actions threw force which doesn't work if you teach and motovate our kids to do good they will not because we made them but because they want to make us happy.

Iron man , where do you go from displining a child to spousal abuse in my post, if a child has been told about right and wrong and choses wrong you are going to talk and tell them that they all wrong and you are disappointed with them, while i am going to give them a swat on the butt and let them know that thats the same they will receive if the do it again. You think that children have the same ability to reason that you have and that is total B.S.. If you let children have a free rein to do as they see fit you end up with a child that will talk back, sneak around, lie, and worst they will end up doing something stupid and dieing. I've seen what "reasoning and talking" to children has done first hand and am glad my children won't grow up as needy as those kids are . You touchy feely parents think your morally superiour , because "I never lay a hand on my kids", but a good parent uses spanking as a tool for teaching right from wrong. I'm sure that you can find studies of just about anything if you look hard enough, but I basing my info on 48 years of life and experience of what work and don't, no theories here. J.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear