over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training in the stretch position

loganb_football

Registered
Do you ever think there will be a day where training will exclusively be done in the stretch position? I'm talking about something along the lines as DC stretches (but exclusively). Loads can be consistently increased, and are held for a prescribed amount of time? Hyperplasia (if true, and I believe it is) will be taking effect. With a properly prescribed amount of time in the stretch position, not only does the muscle go through hyperplasia but mitochondrial density increases (supposedly). This will send the metabolism higher (another added benefit). The muscle goes through an involuntary contraction while being stretched and muscle fibers are being exhausted, and lengthened. Not only that the loads carried in the greatest angle of the joint will transfer over to full range. I understand stretching with these loads may have to be close to 1 minute per hold at least and will likely eventually become very heavy, but maybe this is all that needs to happen?

If one were a strength athlete I don't think this is the best option due to muscle stiffness being a favorable attribute. But for bodybuilders this would seem to work.

I went through a period of exclusively training in the stretch position, and I think my muscles looked hard and so much more developed. To tell you the truth, I only stopped, because I was losing weight so fast, and with phil's diet grocery bills can get expensive with the appetite I had. I would add weight when possible and hold them (with proper form) for as long as possible, and I would have a cumulative amount of time for each hold for about 3-6 minutes, with maybe 3-4 breaks in between. I did actually try to stretch even deeper by using antagonist muscles to push/pull me deeper. My strength stayed about the same, maybe a little stronger, but power definitely increased. I felt very fast.

I'm not saying this is an optimal way to train, there are so many great programs out there. But say if you were able to hold 400 lbs one your back (maybe not realistic) for 30 sec to 1 minute while in the stretch of a chin up position can you imagine how your back would look, and imagine what your muscles would look like, if you were eating for mass.

Just food for thought... After reading John Parillo, DC, and Hany Rambods posts, it has just really got me thinking.

Last edited:
Very interesting, can you give more details of your stretch routine?

This is going to be quick since I am at work so if I am not quite clear on some things, just let me know. Well there are certain exercises in which training in the stretched position is no good. For example, there are barbell curls which, if done at the bottom, will not have as much of an effect on your bicep muscles due to leverage issues. But if you were to use a preacher curl or an incline curl this would put a tremendous stretch on the bicep, and slight contraction at the bottom, and you have really hit the biceps.

Some exercises I have used (these were all done in a stretch position, and stretched to the point where it was miserable!!!):

Preacher curls
Incline curls
Overhead tricep extensions (one handed or use a bar)
dumbell bench
dips
Pull ups, chin ups position
Stiff leg deadlifts
Sitting in the LOW squat position (which I didn't think was effective at first, but as I worked on my form, I really felt it in my glutes and hamstrings instead of my lower back
Push downs from a deadlift lockout, I explained this over at intense muscle... I didn't include this one in my one month experiment, but tried in the other week and it really seemed to give a good stretch to the traps, and deltoids. All you do is get in the top position of the deadlift with a bar, and then relax your traps, delts, and upper back then begin to push down on the bar to go deeper. Try not to let your shoulders slump forward or it will not be as effective.
I am working on a quad stretch. I think the quad stretch you see when the person is on his/her knees and lies back is great, but the floor is a limiting factor. Core stability plays a factor as well in this one. But I noticed my quads stayed well developed despite this being the only exercise I used for them.

As every program the key is progression. As I got a hold to 30 sec-1 min I would either up the weight or hold longer. It was mostly just upping weight. Keep in mind these were all done in the stretch position, and the only time there was a concentric or eccentric action was at the beginning or end of a set (usually I ended up dropping the weights to the floor though :D) I hope this may clear some things up. Yes it is painful but the results and the learning experience made it well worthwhile.

At times in my training I have incorporated something similar to what you are referring. I would start with a standard lift such as incline bench or single leg leg curls and do my rest pause set. For the stretch I would do both a pump and stretch set for one minute. So for example, after my chest exercise I would go to the cable fly machine and set it where at full stretch the stack still did not touch and the weighted tension was still there. I would then perform one rep and squeeze and hold the contraction forcing blood into the chest for several seconds. I would then slowly return into the full stretch position and hold the stretch for a 10 count. I would repeat this for a minimum of 60 seconds at full stretch (not counting the peak contraction time or the negative portion of the lift). This seemed to really get a good pump as well as give all of the benefits of the stretch. I really felt that my chest has become more dense and full from this than prior.

For the hamstrings, I would do weighted stiff leg deads on a platform. I would lean over the platform and get a deep stretch and hold for ten seconds. I would then return to the top and contract my hams as hard as I could focusing on the contraction. I did this for 6 reps and a total of 60 seconds. You can obviously find an exercise for most parts as listed above. I really feel these have helped me tremendously. If nothing else it allows you to develop a strong mind muscle connection by performing the stretch and contraction.

At times in my training I have incorporated something similar to what you are referring. I would start with a standard lift such as incline bench or single leg leg curls and do my rest pause set. For the stretch I would do both a pump and stretch set for one minute. So for example, after my chest exercise I would go to the cable fly machine and set it where at full stretch the stack still did not touch and the weighted tension was still there. I would then perform one rep and squeeze and hold the contraction forcing blood into the chest for several seconds. I would then slowly return into the full stretch position and hold the stretch for a 10 count. I would repeat this for a minimum of 60 seconds at full stretch (not counting the peak contraction time or the negative portion of the lift). This seemed to really get a good pump as well as give all of the benefits of the stretch. I really felt that my chest has become more dense and full from this than prior.

For the hamstrings, I would do weighted stiff leg deads on a platform. I would lean over the platform and get a deep stretch and hold for ten seconds. I would then return to the top and contract my hams as hard as I could focusing on the contraction. I did this for 6 reps and a total of 60 seconds. You can obviously find an exercise for most parts as listed above. I really feel these have helped me tremendously. If nothing else it allows you to develop a strong mind muscle connection by performing the stretch and contraction.

Great input! I will try and experiment with that as well. This is all just a big experiment, and I will probably begin another experiment again and perhaps use this along with these stretch exercises. This will give me some full range work, along with the stretches. I'm looking specifically at minimum full range work and most work to be done at the bottom position...

I think it should be noted I trained with the exercises mentioned above 2-3 times a week split between days. Alright now it's time to get to work lol, I look forward to hearing more input!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131