advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Whats Everyone Taking for Kidney Health?

Warrior08

Registered
I take plenty for heart health and liver care but not much for kidneys

what do you guys do other then drink a lot of water

Kidney health is about keeping the total load on the kidneys within reason. Massively overeating protein (nitrogenous waste) and massively overtraining (myoglobin) are probably the biggest factors in kidney stress.

Kidney health is about keeping the total load on the kidneys within reason. Massively overeating protein (nitrogenous waste) and massively overtraining (myoglobin) are probably the biggest factors in kidney stress.

Kal-besides rest- what are some ways to reduce myoglobin concentrations in the blood?

Along with what Kaladryn said, keep blood pressure normal and healthy and drink adequate water.

1.5+ gallons of water a day and I also take Kidney Stuff. The effect on helping kidneys may be negligible but regardless it's a good supplement for health purposes. I mix 1 scoop of it and 1 scoop Fiberlyze before bed.

**broken link removed**

Having had one kidney removed because of cancer recently, I'll tell you what the docs to me to do to take care of the healthy kidney that I have left.
1) Lots of water
2) No huge amounts of protein (they specifically mentioned the Atkins diet)
3) no NSAIDS (these meds constrict blood vessels in the kidneys making it harder for them to do their job/ renal insufficiency)

Obviously good BP is important too

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, and any doctor will tell you, BP is probably the single biggest factor in kidney health. Which means the number one thing you can do for kidney health is cardio. Once again, cardio comes out on top as the most important 'supplement'

Kal-besides rest- what are some ways to reduce myoglobin concentrations in the blood?

Myoglobin crystallizes in the kidneys in an acidic environment. Limit acid forming foods and increase alkalizing foods, consider alkaline water, especially during and after training.

This is another reason to limit fast digesting protein during and after training. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying keep it at minimal levels, and make sure carb intake is adequate to spare the protein from breakdown. Protein breakdown=acidic environment in the kidneys=kidneys unable to clear myoglobin properly.

What are they doing for kidneys? Keeping your BP in range would be the first thing you would want to do.

As others have mentioned, and any doctor will tell you, BP is probably the single biggest factor in kidney health. Which means the number one thing you can do for kidney health is cardio. Once again, cardio comes out on top as the most important 'supplement'

There you go--Kaladryn beat me to it.

To alkalize the system, take sodium or potassium bicarbonate. Studies show that it also increases nitrogen retention.

The term "cardio" is really ambiguous. Any specifics? What is the target heart rate and for how long. How many times per week? I've been at this a while yet my education never stops. I appreciate all the info I can get.

Myoglobin crystallizes in the kidneys in an acidic environment. Limit acid forming foods and increase alkalizing foods, consider alkaline water, especially during and after training.

This is another reason to limit fast digesting protein during and after training. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying keep it at minimal levels, and make sure carb intake is adequate to spare the protein from breakdown. Protein breakdown=acidic environment in the kidneys=kidneys unable to clear myoglobin properly.

I actually drink alkalized water primarily, I get it free from work, really good in my opinion.
BP is in check, that Im all over.
I have heard sodium bicarbonate and extra calcium help during low carb periods where the body tends to lean towards higher acidity.

The term "cardio" is really ambiguous. Any specifics? What is the target heart rate and for how long. How many times per week? I've been at this a while yet my education never stops. I appreciate all the info I can get.

Cardio is simple, get your cardiovascular system fully opened up, you can feel it when it happens, usually around 120-150 bpm and after about 10-15 minutes. Keep it in that state for another 15-20 minutes. You can easily do cardio daily with minimal effects on recuperation once you get used to it. Things like HIIT are for people who don't care about minimal impact on recuperation, they are also unnecessary because most resistance training will improve anaerobic threshold anyway. How to pick your cardio? I prefer whatever gets your heartrate up with the LEAST perceived exertion, or whatever is most convenient. I have a recumbent bike I jump on for 20-30 minutes first thing the morning.

I naturally have good BP. 110/70 and even on fat burners it hardly budges. Now at 41 years old I'm at the point where I'll be doing it year round with periods of more intensity/duration and more days like summer time mixed in with periods of time where it's just a few days a week.

I just do treadmill 35-45 min. 5-7.5 incline and 3.5-3.7mph. Fasted am.

After summer I'll probably do it in evenings then back to fasted AM close to spring time again as beach weather approaches.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Kal, I'm sure you must have answered this before but what amount of protein in relation to bodyweight do you recommend on a daily basis (for those without existing kidney issues)?

Whats the best way to measure overall kidney health. is it just BUN

BUN , creatinine clearance and GFR.

“Despite decades of concerns about low-carb, high-protein diets that may cause kidney damage in healthy people, there were no signs that this would be the case after a 2-year period,” said Dr. Allon Friedman, lead author of the study, published in the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

Protein in the blood contributes to important protective benefits to the body, including fighting infections, blood clots and improving circulation in the body. Normally proteins are too big to pass through the kidneys’ filter into the urine, but proteins from the blood can leak into the urine when kidney filters are damaged, according to the NIH.

Abnormal amounts of protein in the urine, known as proteinuria, usually point to some sort of kidney disease, regardless of diet, Friedman said.
U of Indiana 2012

Like many have said before, blood pressure is the most important thing to keep in check in order to maintain healthy kidneys. Second is keeping your rbc within a healthy range. Unlike the liver, kidneys DO NOT heal or regenerate, so once damage is done, it will only get worse. Prevention is key when it comes to kidney health.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws