over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

whats your ideal rep range?

peco_12345

Registered
whats your ideal rep range for maximum growth, ive always done lower rep ranges maxing one reps for squats and chest once a week. Usual rep range is 10, 8, 8, 6 in a set to failure increasing weight except for bench presses and squats which have an additional 1 rep max. however the more I read it seems higher rep ranges for bodybuilders is more beneficial. whats really worked for you guys?

my ideal rep range is 15 to 25....

im a volume guy, and believe in it FULLY...

anything less than 15 is too heavy.
anything over 25 is too light.

thats how i play.....

:cool:

whats your ideal rep range for maximum growth, ive always done lower rep ranges maxing one reps for squats and chest once a week. Usual rep range is 10, 8, 8, 6 in a set to failure increasing weight except for bench presses and squats which have an additional 1 rep max. however the more I read it seems higher rep ranges for bodybuilders is more beneficial. whats really worked for you guys?

Most bodybuilders in the world use about 70-75% of their one rep max, given there genetics. (along with a controlled diet) Powerlifting in a totally different rep range and world.

I like 15-20 rest paused, so first set is usually 8-12

Anything works within reason.. As long as the effort and intensity is there.. But over the years a probably average around 12 ... If its lower then I miscalculated.. Going low reps over the years (5 to 7) even with slow perfect form have ruined my joints.. Granted genetics did not help but I wish I would have done higher reps sooner..

I think 10-12 is a good range if I HAVE to pick one. I really think that 15 plus is too light and more aerobic than anaerobic and not very stimulating. EXCEPT for certain situations. Like you last set of an exercise or a heavy heavy leg set you grind out for 20.

Tenny, I got to ask you man, did you get a lot of growth lifting like that? I know you used to lift heavy right? Do you think you would be as big and dense if you hadn't done that heavy lifting initially?

I know Bboy feels kinda the same way and leans toward more volume now, but I think he also stated that he built most of his mass when he was younger and lifting heavy.

I do the same as Tenny but his" light weights" would probaby give me a hernia!!

6, 10, 12, 15 ,20 in one big drop set:headbang:

Five to fifteen reps 90% of the time. Lower and higher for short runs to change things up and keep it interesting but 5-15 is my bread and butter power, strength and endurance builder.

Last edited:
Hard to say what "ideal" is , I get the best results from intra workout or weekly periodization I think most successful programs have this in common, it's pretty much been proven to be the most optimal but training also seems to be one of the most "your mileage may vary" type things out there. 3-6 reps for seems to build the most power for me, 8-11 for hypertrophy and major muscle stimulus, 12-20+ for mind muscle connection, pump, as well occlusion training. NOW COMBINING them together is what gave me the most benefits like I mentioned in the former.

I'm with Tenny

15 - 20 With a perfect fucking form... God, makes me look full and beautiful lol

I personally like the 8-15 rep range with a 3-4 sec negative, explode to the top, squeeze for 1 and back down.

What most people fail to understand is that your body adapts to averages, it can't store 2 different sets of adaptions, for example if you were to train with 3 sets of 5 reps followed by 3 sets of 15 reps your body will adapt to the average so you may as well perform 6 sets of 10 reps. Your body doesn't store a 5 rep adaption and a 15 rep adaption and switch between them at will.

It's not the magic combination of low + high reps giving you the "best of both worlds", rather it's the simple fact that your average reps per set has increased from 5 to 10 which is much more beneficial for hypertrophy.

Take a guy doing only 5 rep sets and get him to start doing 15 rep sets as well, his average rep range is now 10, he'll experience great hypertrophy. On the other hand take a guy doing only 15 rep sets and get him to start doing 5 rep sets as well, his average rep range is now 10, he'll also experience great hypertrophy.

The reason why combining low rep + high rep training works better than standalone low rep training or standalone high rep training is because it either increases or decreases your average rep range to a more moderate number which is better for hypertrophy.

6 sets of 10 reps is just as effective as 3 sets of 5 reps + 3 sets of 15 reps. The body adapts to averages. If you train with a moderate rep range to begin with you're getting the same results as someone who combines low rep + high rep training.

Have each of your muscles biopsied to find the % of type I and type II fibers, then decide your rep range from there.

Or use trial and error.

What most people fail to understand is that your body adapts to averages, it can't store 2 different sets of adaptions, for example if you were to train with 3 sets of 5 reps followed by 3 sets of 15 reps your body will adapt to the average so you may as well perform 6 sets of 10 reps. Your body doesn't store a 5 rep adaption and a 15 rep adaption and switch between them at will.

It's not the magic combination of low + high reps giving you the "best of both worlds", rather it's the simple fact that your average reps per set has increased from 5 to 10 which is much more beneficial for hypertrophy.

Take a guy doing only 5 rep sets and get him to start doing 15 rep sets as well, his average rep range is now 10, he'll experience great hypertrophy. On the other hand take a guy doing only 15 rep sets and get him to start doing 5 rep sets as well, his average rep range is now 10, he'll also experience great hypertrophy.

The reason why combining low rep + high rep training works better than standalone low rep training or standalone high rep training is because it either increases or decreases your average rep range to a more moderate number which is better for hypertrophy.

6 sets of 10 reps is just as effective as 3 sets of 5 reps + 3 sets of 15 reps. The body adapts to averages. If you train with a moderate rep range to begin with you're getting the same results as someone who combines low rep + high rep training.
You quite literally just blew my mind, and unfortunately you are wrong.

Last edited:
Have each of your muscles biopsied to find the % of type I and type II fibers, then decide your rep range from there.

Or use trial and error.
Yes, or use Optimum Training Systems and disregard years of guesswork.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear